• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somebody call VH1: "The Fine Bros" are trying to trademark "reaction videos"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope.

Someone already trademarked communities earlier in the thread. Sorry breh.

Well, as you can see, im wearing a beanie so im not very corporate, and the things im doing here are going to really empower the community, so im gonna go ahead and copyright trademarks and trademark copyrights.

farisr

Has anyone who has appeared in their videos [like YouTubers React] said anything about this?
Not that I'm aware of (at least from the regulars). And I doubt they will. You'll only get positive or indifferent views on the matter from the non-youtubers if they did say something, as this is a source of income for them.

As for the Youtubers, most are probably going to avoid commenting on this at all costs. Don't want to risk losing subscribers by showing support for this project, and don't want to ruin their relationship with the fine bros by being against it.

Phu

Banned

She's definitely been in one before. Haven't got far enough in thd vid to hear what they have to say but by looking at the comments they're not fans of this either. We have plenty of YouTubers calling them out but I think the ones who have actually worked with the Fine Bros can add that extra spite.

EDIT: Yeah, watched some more, they're definitely not fans.

LeonSPBR

Hey guys, cmon.

Honestly, i think you guys are all freaking out wayyyy to much. Let me break this down for you in terms you'll understand, and you'll see that the fine bros are doing NOTHING wrong.

Community, empowered, content creators, community, branding, community, CONTENT! Hilarious. Community. Art.

SYNERGY.

and most of all, this is for the community.

Changing the word community with money make this more hilarious.

nib95

Banned
Goodbye 13.9 mil, 13.8 here we come. Fine Bros should start doing reverse stretch goals.

To be fair, they're not losing subs nearly quick enough. I expected it to drop at a much faster rate, but if anything the rate of decline has slowed down.

To be fair, they're not losing subs nearly quick enough. I expected it to drop at a much faster rate, but if anything the rate of decline has slowed down.

I don't think so.

We are on track to beat yesterday. It slowed down overnight, obviously but it's picking back up.

Actually it's sped up. An hour ago they were losing about 77 a minute, now they're back to about 100 a minute which is what they were at yesterday. It lost steam overnight, today is kind of a revival as people get back to work and check their newsfeeds etc.

https://tfbsubscribers.github.io/

3phemeral

Big Number display:

Pretty graph display:

Thanks, you two :)
Watching this is mesmerizing.

EczpZkl.gif

PtM

Banned
Thread title still misleading, they try to trademark "REACT" and "X react" and their other generic show names.

Fuchsdh

As pointed out, the number of subs is really irrelevant. What matters is if it freaks out sponsors, or that the subs that are unsubscribing are the hardcore active users who like, comment, and watch their videos religiously.

As pointed out, the number of subs is really irrelevant. What matters is if it freaks out sponsors, or that the subs that are unsubscribing are the hardcore active users who like, comment, and watch their videos religiously.

The awareness that there business model is scummy nonsense would be enough.

Has there ever been a case like this where a YouTube channel did or said something to suddenly start dropping hundreds of subscribers every few minutes?

zsynqx

Has there ever been a case like this where a YouTube channel did or said something to suddenly start dropping hundreds of subscribers every few minutes?

Sam Pepper after the sexual assault stuff came out. Not sure it was as bad as this, but he had less subs to begin with.

They've lost about 4k subs in 34 minutes going by the DVR feature on YouTube live.

That's about 2 subs per second. Same as it was rolling yesterday several times i've checked. Not bad.

Halcyon

I hope this somehow kills their channel. Everytime I came across their videos I would think "This is sort of a Best Week Ever ripoff" only its random people reacting to stuff instead of my favorite improv comedians.

Seems like the three creators in that post are using the "something reacts to" trademark, or something confusingly similar. Assuming the trademark is valid, I guess that's the right thing to do from the perspective of Fullscreen.

Looking up fair use is the wrong thing to do in that one video. Especially when he admits to having committed to copyright infringement of someone's music.

What's happening here is that people on YouTube are starting to feel the effects of the law that mainstream entertainment industry creators have had to deal with for a long time. Again, that's contingent on the trademarks being valid, which I don't think they all are. Let's see how the Ryan Morrison thing goes opposing them. It ain't cheap, though.

Also, I work with the lawyer who I believe was instrumental in getting the USPTO to reject Sony's Let's Play trademark the 2nd (and probably final) time. I helped write the blog post announcing it! So don't accuse me of being some kind of blanket corporate shill. I know some of you want to :)

If videos like that are getting filed for takedowns, what about "confusingly similar" titles that the Korean reaction videos have with loads of views?

"Koreans React To..."

"Korean Girls React To..."

Do you not agree that it's pretty vague?

Another straightforward, level-headed breakdown from Foldable Human

This is great.

I hope this somehow kills their channel. Everytime I came across their videos I would think "This is sort of a Best Week Ever ripoff" only its random people reacting to stuff instead of my favorite improv comedians.

I think people are rising up against them because they are trying to trademark a vague unoriginal concept. There's something extra scummy about doing that and the internet won't allow it if they have a say

entremet

I don't want to give these guys views, but what's the current situation?

Are they still going forward with this ridiculous plan?

I think people are rising up against them because they are trying to trademark a vague unoriginal concept. There's something extra scummy about doing that and the internet won't allow it if they have a say
I don't think trademarking a brand is wrong. Even if the brand name is "REACT", reaction videos are fair game simply because "X REACT TO Y" is an expression, a descriptor and not a brand.

However, the extra shittyness is that this won't be used to expand their brand, it will be used to abuse YouTube's shitty copyright and strike system. That's the huge issue and that's the driving force behind the trademarks.

Proof is in the pudding how they lashed out at folks like Ellen for doing reaction videos not even close to their "format" or "brand" and went so far as to ask the internet to fucking harass her over it.

If they have the balls to do that - they aren't good people. They are slime. They are scum. We already know this from the exploitation of several human disasters being used in their channel for "reaction" videos.

Protect your brand? Hey - no problem! Act like the vile pieces of shit you are and exploit everything you can? Fuck you.

Addi

Yeah, it's not the numbers but the hype surrounding it. The more videos pop up criticising the fine bros, the more effect it will have. I mean, these are the first results I get searching for "fine bros" on youtube:

They have to lose some sponsors right?

LoveCake

It is the first I have heard about them monetizing that school shooting video, what scumbags!! they could have at least donated the money.

I hope the fallout from this destroys them, what a pair of assholes!

I wonder what Burger King has to say about them using there name (trademark) as an example comparing them to what the Bros are doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom