• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somebody call VH1: "The Fine Bros" are trying to trademark "reaction videos"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Ah good old exposure dollars. Sadly it happens a lot too :/

Internships are a big scam, too. Then free labor wasn't good enough for some businesses, so they took it even further by opening their own private schools so you actually had the privilege of paying to be an intern.
Also, amateur sports.

CZ28kWsWEAIcX0O.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Youtube just threw them under the bus. At the top of the Trending page is a mention of what the Fine Brothers are attempting to do, the backlash, and a link to their "Please understand." video.

KanameYuuki

Goddamn more than 180 subs lost per minute, to be honest I did not expect this to keep going and even less to continue with pace.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I wonder how the Fine Bro feel that knowing that their little empire is crumbling apart?

Yeah, I heard about that. Pretty low that they're trying to cash in on a natural tragedy.

Honestly I don't think that the Fine Bro can recover from this now that people are wising up to their shit.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Maybe this has been addressed yet but, setting aside the format and content questions, how does a trademark on "react" or "____ reacts" even work from a legal perspective? Its entirely descriptive. My company had to brainstorm two dozen possible names and our lawyers rejected almost all of them on the basis of things like just including the word "glow" in a product that has a glowing feature being too close to description

farisr

They made a reaction video on a school shooting?

The fuck...

Making a reaction video to get thoughts and what not on the subject matter is not a terrible idea. Monetizing it on the other hand (like they did) is all kinds of messed up though.

Cth

Maybe this has been addressed yet but, setting aside the format and content questions, how does a trademark on "react" or "____ reacts" even work from a legal perspective? Its entirely descriptive. My company had to brainstorm two dozen possible names and our lawyers rejected almost all of them on the basis of things like just including the word "glow" in a product that has a glowing feature being too close to description

Not a lawyer, so I dunno if this helps any..

http://goodcomics.blogspot.com/2006/03/superhero-trademark-faq.html

CLIFF NOTES:
Info about DC and Marvel's joint ownership of the word "superhero"

[..]
Q: Isn't superhero just a descriptive word? I thought you couldn't trademark a descriptive word?

A: Under normal trademark law, a descriptive mark would not be granted a trademark, but I believe that Marvel and DC can demonstrate (and, I believe, have demonstrated it to the Trademark office, leading to the granting of the registered mark) that the term has acquired distinctiveness, which would allow it to still become a registered trademark.

I believe (and I think that it is an accurate belief) that the term "superhero" has achieved the required "Secondary meaning" in the United States to be eligible for a trademark.

When someone thinks of a superhero, they undoubtedly (which, as I said, would be proven via the use of surveys) think of a product from either DC or Marvel. The term "superhero" has become distinctly known as coming from DC or Marvel, just like how Band-Aid describes a bandage, but it has acquired secondary meaning as a brand of bandages, even though Band-Aid certainly is a descriptive term.

More links for fun reading:
http://www.wipo.int/wipo_magazine/en/2012/03/article_0005.html

You might just have decent lawyers, I don't think it'll make it through the opposotion process with all this attention.

If I were one of their sponsors I would reconsider. Although, if human tragedy reactions didn't make any of them flinch I doubt this will either.

antonz

I'm amazed they haven't made a video saying they see everyone's point, agree they overstepped their bounds and are no longer moving forward with React World.

They need to cut their losses already.

WT4l3hE.png

They need to lose a lot more subscribers and viewers before they have to worry. They are a "Premium" Brand on youtube. They get so many more perks than typical content creators and they get a hell of a lot better pennies per view ratio.

I'm surprised this is still going on. I'd have thought this would have fizzled out before the end of the weekend.

On YouTube, a view is only recorded after watching a video for 30 seconds.

Its snowballing due to lots of famous youtubers doing reaction videos to this whole event. I'd imagine thats why its having some decent legs

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised this is still going on. I'd have thought this would have fizzled out before the end of the weekend.

On YouTube, a view is only recorded after watching a video for 30 seconds.

The increased exposure is only helping the unsubs continue

Mr-Joker

Banned
To be fair, it's to gather their thoughts on school shootings which in and of itself isn't a terrible idea.

True but monetizing it was a terrible idea.

https://twitter.com/tealgamemaster/status/694316773177430017

This tweet makes a good point. "React" is getting all the attention, but their "Lyric Breakdown" trademark is just as bad.

I was under the impression that the internet was against all the trademark claim that the Fine Bro are trying to Trademark.

Montresor

I'm trying to reconcile the type of person who would subscribe to the channel in the first place also caring enough about this fuckery to unsubscribe.

I basically spent a chunk of christmas break watching these with my brother. I love the React videos. But I unsubscribed today because of this thread.

closing in on 250k lost subscribers

even if that's a small dent in their overall numbers, losing a quarter of a million this rapidly is pretty huge.

can't say they don't deserve it

closing in on 250k lost subscribers

even if that's a small dent in their overall numbers, losing a quarter of a million this rapidly is pretty huge.

can't say they don't deserve it
Subs != engaged users

Watches, unsubs, likes, dislikes = engaged users

This has more of an affect than people think.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Subs != engaged users

Watches, unsubs, likes, dislikes = engaged users

This has more of an affect than people think.

youtube has been focusing a lot more on "watch time" as the important metric lately

so all the "click, dislike, leave" is certainly gonna have a negative impact

Is it me or does he look like a cartoon character?

Compared to their earlier videos of just sitting in a classroom with a laptop on the tablet, they have make up people to smarten up people on camera, I mean they got the dollars to do it so they do it.

Will they drop below 13m?

If they do lose a million followers... that's extremely nuts and something that doesn't happen at all on youtube really, shows how big of a fuck up this move was.

Sky Chief

Youtube just threw them under the bus. At the top of the Trending page is a mention of what the Fine Brothers are attempting to do, the backlash, and a link to their "Please understand." video.

Good, I was about to write a post asking what YouTube, Google, and Alphabet must think of this bullshit

Not seeing their stuff trending on the UK youtube, edited or just different trending list?

If they do lose a million followers... that's extremely nuts and something that doesn't happen at all on youtube really, shows how big of a fuck up this move was.

Yeah, losing a million subs would be insane. it's completely unheard of.

I thought after 100k it would start to taper off, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if this kept going for awhile as more people get exposed to it

Bgamer90

Banned

Really? I don't see it. Was it an actual message/paragraph?

Mr-Joker

Banned
There's nothing wrong with this video. Made me tear up actually with some of the kids' reactions.

Keep the pile on directed where it belongs - and that's with the Fine Bros's excessive hubris/greed.

It isn't the video that's the problem. It's the fact that the Fine Bros tried to make money off of people misfortune that is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom