• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something about Die Hard has always bugged me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
UltraMarioMan said:
Why did he put the C4 in an office chair and tie a PC monitor on top of it? I never got that.

When the monitor hit the bottom it would spark causing the C4 to explode. That is what I assumed.

Max@GC

DoctorWho said:
When the monitor hit the bottom it would spark causing the C4 to explode. That is what I assumed.

That would be retarded. You can´t ignite C4 by sparks, you have to use electricity that flows through wires connected to the explosive.

Just looking for a reason to post this:

20070716mr7.jpg

Max@GC said:
That would be retarded. You can´t ignite C4 by sparks, you have to use electricity that flows through wires connected to the explosive.

You can't get a pretty big jolt from touching the wrong thing inside a monitor or television. I know many people who have been shocked trying.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I'd like to know when John McClane became aware that he had a catch phase and was it the reason for his divorce?

John: "Hey honey, whats for dinner?"
Holly: "Chicken"
John: "yippee ki yay!"
*waits for laugh*
Holly: "...it's over John"

DoctorWho said:
You can't get a pretty big jolt from touching the wrong thing inside a monitor or television. I know many people who have been shocked trying.
*waves arms like an idiot* But it wasn't plugged in!

Max@GC

DoctorWho said:

Just because your skin conducts electricity. When it comes to C4 you have to plug the wires INTO the C4 only that will make it explode. And you need the right voltage of course.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ghost said:
I'd like to know when John McClane became aware that he had a catch phase and was it the reason for his divorce?

John: "Hey honey, whats for dinner?"
Holly: "Chicken"
John: "yippee ki yay!"
*waits for laugh*
Holly: "...it's over John"
John: "Yippee ki yay Mrs. Falcon!"
Holly: "...our last name isn't Falcon..."

DarienA

Prime crotch said:
I don't think McLane had it.

McClaine had all the detonators that's why they were so hard on getting the bags back from him... he had some C4, and all the detonators...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Hard

The LAPD and the FBI respond in force, but this merely accelerates Gruber's original timetable. McClane continues his fight from within, picking off gang-members one by one, with Powell as his only ally outside the building. After McClane captures Gruber's vital supply of explosive detonators, Gruber finds himself in an unexpected face-to-face confrontation with the detective; the mastermind's attempt at pretending to be an escaped hostage is successful enough to lead to the recovery of the detonators and the injuring of McClane's bare feet. Back outside the building, an irresponsible TV reporter named Richard Thornburg accidentally alerts Gruber to the fact that Holly is McClane's wife. He takes her aside as a special hostage.

Monitors store voltage. Doesn't have anything to do with the scene, but you can get zapped messing with them. People have died at warehouses trying to use those metal band things to discharge static electricity when messing with computer parts, and they used them on monitors apparently before companies figured out thats a no no. Stored electricity + metal band which makes YOU a conductor of electricity = death.

DarienA

BenjaminBirdie said:
Dang, kids.

WEIGHT.

Yup

The only reliable method for detonation is via both heat and pressure

Seems if pushed from high enough(and that elevator shaft was pretty damn high), that you might be able to detonate C4 that way.... time to get MythBusters on the job!

DarienA said:
Seems if pushed from high enough(and that elevator shaft was pretty damn high), that you might be able to detonate C4 that way.... time to get MythBusters on the job!
To the Mythbusters website!

Max@GC said:
UltraMarioMan: Demon kittey haz nuttin to do wit dis!
He might know!

DarienA

BenjaminBirdie said:
NOW let's unpack that damn Water Riddle from Vengeance.

CAJOLE!!

They have to use a 3 gallon jug and 5 gallon jug to put exactly 4 gallons of water onto a scale to deactivate a briefcase bomb

The answer is fill the 3 gallon jug and pur into the 5 gallon jug. Repeat again so you 1 gallon left in the 3 gallon jug and the 5 gallon jug full. Now pour away the 5 gallon jug and pur in the 1 gallon from the 3 gallon jug. Now fill the 3 gallon jug again and pour into the 5 gallon jug, so you end with 4 gallons in the 5 gallon jug

... I don't remember them having a third jug to use.

BenjaminBirdie said:
NOW let's unpack that damn Water Riddle from Vengeance.

CAJOLE!!
Fill the 3 gallon jug, put it in the 5 gallon jug. Fill the 3 gallon jug again, and fill the 5 gallon jug up to the top with it. 1 gallon is left in the 3 gallon jug. Empty the 5 gallon jug. Put that 1 gallon into the 5 gallon jug. Fill the 3 gallon jug and put it in the 5 gallon jug. 4 gallons. Done.

Someone else can post the other method.

Edit: NOOOOOOOOOOO BEATEN

So other method...

Fill the 5 gallon jug. Fill the 3 gallon jug from the 5 gallon. Empty the 3 gallons. Take the 2 gallons left in the 5 gallon and pour it in the 3 gallon jug. Fill the 5 gallon jug again and then fill the 3 gallon jug. 4 gallons are left in the 5 gallon. Done.

CajoleJuice said:
Fill the 3 gallon jug, put it in the 5 gallon jug. Fill the 3 gallon jug again, and fill the 5 gallon jug up to the top with it. 1 gallon is left in the 3 gallon jug. Empty the 5 gallon jug. Put that 1 gallon into the 5 gallon jug. Fill the 3 gallon jug and put it in the 5 gallon jug. 4 gallons. Done.

*McClane High Pitched But Winded Laugh Of Satisfaction*

Thenk you.

empanada

CajoleJuice said:

Fill the 5 gal jug. dump it into the 3 gal jug. you have 2 gal in 5 gal jug. dump out 3 gal jug and put in 2 gal from 5 gal jug. fill 5 gal jug. fill the 3 gal jug with 2 gal to the top, which takes 1 gal from the 5 gal jug. You now have 4 gal in the 5 gal jug.

edti: beaten !

DarienA said:
He used that laugh ALOT in Live Free or Die Hard.

AWWWWW now I GOTTA see it.

FFFFUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHKKKKKK.

(McClaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNE)

(P.S. I'm off to get in line for Harry Potter in a bit, and I gotta go through the park.
“The best way south is not through 9th Avenue, it’s through the park.”
“But Park Drive is always jammed!”
“I didn’t say Park Drive. I said through the Park.”
:lol :D :lol )

ETA: "ROCK!! ROCK!!"

bud

omghans.gif

they were supposed to drop haaaaaaaaans at 3 but they dropped him at 2, hence the look on his face :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom