• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces DLC leak: Episode Shadow

Most of the Modern gameplay is mimicking Colors, outside of the powerup wisps. You don't see it often in the gameplay footage, but Sonic actually has the Colors double jump as well.

That's a really good point, but I don't mind the mimicking of Colors' 3D gameplay. I thought Colors' 3D sections were decent and fun (going based on memory), but some of the 2D sections were really dull and unimaginative.

Ferr986

That's a really good point, but I don't mind the mimicking of Colors' 3D gameplay. I thought Colors' 3D sections were decent and fun (going based on memory), but some of the 2D sections were really dull and unimaginative.

Thats weird, cause Colors 3D sections were basically speed run areas. The meat of the game was in the 2D sections IMO

The President would't miss it for the world.

tumblr_nmk2jw2Vj51u3iua1o1_400.gif

I've always wondered when this picture was taken.

Thats weird, cause Colors 3D sections were basically speed run areas. The meat of the game was in the 2D sections IMO

Yeah I need to replay that shit. I'm just afraid that it'll be one of those "wait why did I even like this game?" scenarios. I only played through it once in 2010 and I remember loving the overall package, but hating some of the 2D lifeless sections with the random block placement.

Frenzy-kun

Neo Member

I cannot understand why people say this is good. I am not exaggerating. I really expected something interesting after a few comments and then it looks like an smartphone game level design and a not speed and momentum gameplay but pre-programmed paths displaying an animation. A character so small that can barely be seen, specially on those homming attacks, and an environment design that is... ugly. Looks like a tileset of a low budget game where they didn't have enough resources to hide the repeating patterns.

Certainly I would like to enjoy this as a sonic fan, but it shocks me.

NZerker12

Come on Sonic Team give us a playable Metal Sonic. The boost gameplay was made for him considering the boost is like his Maximum Overdrive.

Yeah I need to replay that shit. I'm just afraid that it'll be one of those "wait why did I even like this game?" scenarios. I only played through it once in 2010 and I remember loving the overall package, but hating some of the 2D lifeless sections with the random block placement.
some of them were lifeless, they needed more 2d section like what generations had in levels like seaside hill and crisis city. they went all out on planet wisp though for both 3d and 2d.the level that showed today though felt like to much colors, good and bad for me.

Shadow? Shadow the Hedgehog aka best hedgehog evah screw you Sonic?

Yeah I'm definitely buying this now. I need more Shadow.

Also they reference Team Dark in the YouTube description. When was that time that Team Dark had any callback?

Ferr986

Ah yeah 2D section visually looks boring because they abuse placing simple blocks for platforming, while 3D areas looks better in that regard. I was more about level design though, 3D areas are either just run a straight path or do that drifting thingy that was kinda awful.

Revven

Always down for playing as a different character with Sonic's gameplay. This is the kind of thing we've been wanting, where we play a different character in the same zones/acts (maybe some variation on the acts to account for the character's unique abilities) like in the 2D games.

What they showed, though, is very bland. I'm sure it's because it's the first level for Shadow or something. Or a mission one like in Generations.

Berordn

Ah yeah 2D section visually looks boring because they abuse placing simple blocks for platforming, while 3D areas looks better in that regard. I was more about level design though, 3D areas are either just run a straight path or do that drifting thingy that was kinda awful.

Yeah, the 3D sections were an okay and mechanically an improvement over Unleashed, but they were really barren and simple. Most of the meat was in the 2D gameplay, but a lot of the acts devolved into small challenges revolving around the wisps, which makes it difficult to go back and replay.

POOCHIE'S BACK BITCHES!!

I actually was a fan of his portrayal in 06. Probably Shadow's best characterization yet.
Hopefully this taps into that.
My girlfriend got the file from the game data, painted over it to make it look nicer, then printed it and found a comparable frame from Amazon

QQCO1pN.jpg

My goal is to gain high political office and keep it on my desk

If you haven't proposed to her yet, you're a damn
fourth chaos emerald
ed fool.

Unknown?

Most of the Modern gameplay is mimicking Colors, outside of the powerup wisps. You don't see it often in the gameplay footage, but Sonic actually has the Colors double jump as well.
How exactly is that a bad thing? Colors was what got Sonic out of his funk.

Berordn

How exactly is that a bad thing? Colors was what got Sonic out of his funk.

I wasn't really commenting on it being a good or bad thing, but I'd probably agree that despite what it did to improve on the 3D gameplay (as little as we saw of it in colors) the 2D stuff isn't super great after an initial play through.

And we can't really comment on anything more than that right now, since a lot of the gameplay we've seen seems to feature very bland 2D sections and linear 3D paths, as though they're not taking any of Generation's improvements to the level design in mind.

Order

My girlfriend got the file from the game data, painted over it to make it look nicer, then printed it and found a comparable frame from Amazon

QQCO1pN.jpg

If someone ever asks me what true love is I'm showing them this picture

It's weird that the game is so cheap and now has free Shadow DLC.
It's $32 with Prime/GCU. Cheapest mainline sonic game...ever? And it seems to have more story than any other Sonic game since at least Heroes.

I guess it should be concerning, but I can spend that much on a game even if it's a train wreck.

I do like shadow even if his characterization hasn't been as good as Adventure 2. I imagine this'll be a few challenge levels at best since they're showing the same dried up green hill zone

QQCO1pN.jpg

This is amazing and hilarious at the same time. Hope you get to that point in your political career. Life is funny like that sometimes. lol

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Eggman made Infinite and I'm guessing Infinite has some sort of power over them.

You can play as him in the Sonic Forces mobile game that just got released a few days ago. In terms of the main series, it was 06.

There was also Sonic & the Black Knight, where he was playable after 06, which should be the last game for a dedicated game system where he is playable.

Village

As a fan of shadow , neat. Back in my day, you could just play as characters with out having to pay extra, but neat.

As a person who's been looking at this game for the last few months however.

giphy.gif

( this game doesn't look the best )

"Episode" just brings in another memory of Sonic 06, darn it. Getting really worried.

Edit: Hey, free is good.

No pictures of his family, just 2 talking hedgehogs.

The weird thing is, there were a bunch of cut scenes from SA2 about the President not believing that Sonic can save them, and his secretary telling him to keep faith in him. That's why the Secretary had a hidden menu voice pack, she originally had a much bigger speaking role.

Information about the cut scenes didn't really come out widely until after the Sonic X adaption, which included them, and I think after Shadow's game, which referenced them too.

That's the weird thing about the Shadow The Hedgehog: As bad of a game it was, it brought up a lot of previously abandoned plot points, and in some cases tied them up. It's an odd bit of continuity for the series.

Edit: Whoops, missed some pages somehow. Oh well.

Arkeband

Banned
Every trailer for this game looks like the levels are some entry level tier sidescroller fare, like Mighty Number 9 levels of boring level design. Just run left to right and auto-aim attack?

Mark1

Did not see this coming. And glad to see Shadow back and playable again. With some new moves to separate him from Sonic too.

A lot of the level design was decent, but after half way into the video it felt too dependent on 2D. Felt very Colours like - which is both good and bad.

The Supporting Me remix is amazing as fuck though.

Village

Give me that Shadow DLC for Mania, pls Taxman.

As a fan of shadow, I never actually want to see that. I dunno shadow's an adventure forward character for me. Like if you were to pick a character to represent that, it would be shadow. I would let other characters like blaze, rouge, cream ect get classicfied.

In exchange though , you can put shadow in a bunch of weird shit, like other sega games

Lijik

As a fan of shadow , neat. Back in my day, you could just play as characters with out having to pay extra, but neat.

As a person who's been looking at this game for the last few months however.

giphy.gif

( this game doesn't look the best )
psst
maxresdefault.jpg

its free dlc

"Episode" just brings in another memory of Sonic 06, darn it. Getting really worried.

Edit: Hey, free is good.

The weird thing is, there were a bunch of cut scenes from SA2 about the President not believing that Sonic can save them, and his secretary telling him to keep faith in him. That's why the Secretary had a hidden menu voice pack, she originally had a much bigger speaking role.

Information about the cut scenes didn't really come out widely until after the Sonic X adaption, which included them, and I think after Shadow's game, which referenced them too.

That's the weird thing about the Shadow The Hedgehog: As bad of a game it was, it brought up a lot of previously abandoned plot points, and in some cases tied them up. It's an odd bit of continuity for the series.

Edit: Whoops, missed some pages somehow. Oh well.

that's probably the strongest aspect of ShTH: it was essentially Adventure 2.5

Oh shit, I just saw that, that's nice.

So this was just developed really really late then

that's a fairly common practice. As the game is being finalized and printed, the devs and designers have nothing to do, so they just work on more content like this. That's why you see so much cosmetic DLC available at launch or as preorder bonuses nowadays.

Official Gameplay. Seems to be a free add-on
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/910156635435175937

That sound mixing is weird...

Honestly feel that Episode Shadow DLC is something that should had been in the base game, but hey, it's free. Though with that gameplay clip shown, that's easily the least of my problems.

I refuse to mince words--free DLC / "optional" or not, that Shadow gameplay was absolutely horrible. I didn't think the Classic Sonic Forces Green Hill could be topped in its abysmal quality but this somehow did it.

Bad enemy placement and design, almost the same stock enemies used throughout the level, all stacked in rows, who mostly sit there and are only used for bowling pins or HA chains.
Almost entirely flat level design, there's only one example of sloped terrain in the entire thing. Everything's comprised of square platforms, there's no unique level geometry at play here at all.
Even more automated Homing Attack mechanics, like that heat-seeker range HA that can hit enemies yards away and fly over level design, and the Lost World-styled Homing Attack that chews through entire strings of enemies.
The same stop-and-go fifth-grade precision platforming over bottomless pits from previous titles, there's no gameplay flow here whatsoever. It's automated "fast" gameplay hamfistedly tossed in with blocky "slow" platforming.
The level layouts has zero cohesion in either its structure or its adherence to the level theme (the entire level is mostly made up of ugly gray boxes and Radical Highway-striped platforms recycled from past games, that don't even try to match theworld setting). This is the type of crap level design you'd see in the worst of game mods and fan projects.
And of course, this is all crammed into yet another 2D level, and it's still the same Green Hill with Sand Zone.

I'm mostly been disappointed or unimpressed with Forces as a whole but the game design is the one element that actively makes me mad about the game sometimes. This goes beyond subpar design and veers into a territory of outright laziness. The level design philosophy is at its worst here (and that's saying a lot, given this is Sonic we're talking about; a lot of the complaints here are in past games too) and it would be a big shame if Forces performed well enough so that it's continued in future Sonic games.

If Sega's not going to hand Sonic to another studio/division completely, the least Sega/Sonic Team could do is ban Kishimoto and his crew of designers from handling another Sonic game again. If that means risking a completely fresh team then so be it; because at this point a Kishimoto crew-directed/designed Sonic game has as much value as no Sonic game.

Top Bottom