• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces lets you create your own character [Update: Trailer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue-kun

I think they would do best to not give a shit about that critcism, and just make a good game. Friends or no, but that's just me.

Well, I agree with you there -- but I'd say they've been pretty successful as of late in creating good Sonic Games if you take away the odd Sonic Boom thing. At least as far as my tastes are concerned.

But then I'm the odd Sonic fan. Have been a fan since the very first game, played just about everything, and I can safely say that I think modern boost gameplay is my favourite out of the entire series. Getting more of that, I'm satisfied. If anything the one criticism I actually understand and agree with that I've seen repeated in this thread so far is that Classic Sonic in Forces seems a bit out of place, because I don't think the style they're using for it in Gens/Forces is all that great and we're getting Mania, so it seems a bit pointless. But, hey, I doubt I'm gonna hate it, just not gonna be replaying those levels over and over...

tkscz

What+a+shame+_38302cd4a92c965a1673bcc34d57dbb9.jpg

Twice in one day. I fear what Deviant Art shall do when they get their grubs on this game.

Village

Well, I agree with you there -- but I'd say they've been pretty successful as of late in creating good Sonic Games if you take away the odd Sonic Boom thing. At least as far as my tastes are concerned.

But then I'm the odd Sonic fan. Have been a fan since the very first game, played just about everything, and I can safely say that I think modern boost gameplay is my favourite out of the entire series. Getting more of that, I'm satisfied. If anything the one criticism I actually understand and agree with that I've seen repeated in this thread so far is that Classic Sonic in Forces seems a bit out of place, because I don't think the style they're using for it in Gens/Forces is all that great and we're getting Mania, so it seems a bit pointless. But, hey, I doubt I'm gonna hate it, just not gonna be replaying those levels over and over...

Outside of the very ODD inclusion of classic sonic , I feel like forces falls directly into place. They have for a while now, been trying to make sonic a larger brand first it was the story book games, that didn't work out. Next sonic boom, and the movie. Its very clear , especially with their new mission statement Sega wants to make larger brands. Having potentially a series of xenoverse type games is the way to do that.

Whether that's good or bad I don't know, this could actually lead to more spin off games, possibly staring other characters because they want that brand expansion , it could also lead to a bunch of luke warm uninteresting slop like with sonic boom.

So we will see. But I think this plays directly into the direction they have wanted to go in for years.

Neiteio

Seriously, tho, this is a great feature. It's going to make a lot of people very happy. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a core feature going forward.

But the real test is whether they can build fun, varied, well-paced levels around it.

javadoze

Everything about this is beautiful.

Of course, there'll be people mad about it, but at a certain point, you need to let go and embrace the chaos.
emeralds

Create your OC.

Give it your first name.

Take ownership of it

Gameplay wise, I'm not really sure what to make of the 3rd style. I'm guessing it's a mix of Modern/Classic Sonic with some more elaborate combat/platforming thrown in?
Here's hoping that it melds nicely with the other gameplay styles without slowing things down.

Sylas

Am I missing something? Why is everyone going crazy for this?

I want you to play a game with me. Take your first name--or anyone's first name--and type it into google with the words, "the Hedgehog" after it. You'll see why this hilarious.

Smeags

Vore DLC when?

The create-a-character option is honestly a great idea, sonic fandom shenanigans nonwithstanding.

Sami+

Outside of the very ODD inclusion of classic sonic , I feel like forces falls directly into place. They have for a while now, been trying to make sonic a larger brand first it was the story book games, that didn't work out. Next sonic boom, and the movie. Its very clear , especially with their new mission statement Sega wants to make larger brands. Having potentially a series of xenoverse type games is the way to do that.

Whether that's good or bad I don't know, this could actually lead to more spin off games, possibly staring other characters because they want that brand expansion , it could also lead to a bunch of luke warm uninteresting slop like with sonic boom.

So we will see. But I think this plays directly into the direction they have wanted to go in for years.

They could just make good games like they did 20 years ago

Poketune

I want you to play a game with me. Take your first name--or anyone's first name--and type it into google with the words, "the Hedgehog" after it. You'll see why this hilarious.

Funnily enough, I tried it with my name and it doesn't work.

UberTag

Please let me make a passable Sally Acorn, Bunny and Antoine. It's all I ask as a 90s Sonic Sat-am series kid.
'Fraid the only one of the three you'll be able to truly create is Bunnie. And they'll probably lock up mechanical appendages for your characters to make them partially roboticized behind some hefty microtransactions.

I did this just now and the first hit was a twitter account that featured a real life hedgehog, so that's cool.

I saw a preview of some of the other images, and I just wonder if this game will make an interesting Monster Factory video or not.

Maedhros

Everything about this is beautiful.

Of course, there'll be people mad about it, but at a certain point, you need to let go and embrace the chaos.
emeralds

Create your OC.

Give it your first name.

Take ownership of it

Gameplay wise, I'm not really sure what to make of the 3rd style. I'm guessing it's a mix of Modern/Classic Sonic with some more elaborate combat/platforming thrown in?
Here's hoping that it melds nicely with the other gameplay styles without slowing things down.
I bet they'll be playable after you finish the stage as both Sonics. (Remember the xtra stages in Generations, above the main ones)

Maedhros

What I reaaly want to know are the other stages. Sonic never had good first stages in level design department, besides Angel Island I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom