• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost Worlds Debut Trailer [Up: Wii U + 3DS screenshots]

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The more I watch it the more it looks to me less like its necessarily Super Mario Galaxy and more kind of Prince of Persia/Mirror's Edge like. Like, the way they have Sonic interacting with terrain and walls and obstacles and such reminds me of that kind of environmental use dynamic.

Skyzard

Banned
I want to play it naoooow. Haven't even got a playable copy of generations handy. Might have to pick (generations) up on PS3 digitally if it's cheap (laser borked).

BOX ART CONFIRMED!
BLYMOtzCIAAI0kP.jpg:large

iavi

Even the good Sonic games lately don't compare to Mario gameplaywise, but they made up for it with great visuals and audio. Sure, one should be happy if a Sonic game actually turns out good gameplaywise, but Sonic Team also got the best out of each console lately, so this step back is quite disappointing.

I was fucking stunned playing daytime in Unleashed and even surprised by the production quality of Colours. The WiiU still lacks a game for graphical showcase, so with the teaser pic I was hoping something would finally come out, but now it's just some okay-ish looking Galaxy clone. (at best)

The best bits of Generations easily go head to head with the Galaxies, putting aside the fact that they're entirely different styles of platformer.

CDX

It looks... like a Sonic game. I mean it actually looks like a Sonic game from the 90's. Whoa.

dat Sega Saturn Sonic Xtreme vibe I'm feeling.

I mean the stage in this trailer really reminds me of the leaked footage of the Jade Gully stage from the Sega Saturn game.

What makes me happy about the trailer is that it seems like there is going to be much less hand-holding and gameplay in which you simply "watch", but more gameplay which makes you want to experiment and have fun with the tools the developers give you. You're going to run on walls, homing attack enemies, explore the cylindrical environments, not because the game is forcing you forward through what essentially is a playable movie, but because the game gives you these tools that will hopefully be fun to play around with.

I don't want to get to excited for this, but the more I look into it, the more I realize that this truly might be the realization of classic gameplay in a 3D environment.

Frologic

After all the failed Sonic attempts this gen, I really hope Sonic Team knows exactly what works and what doesn't work. Just let us go fast!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This method of creating graphics might appear cheap, but I think in the long run of things, it will be beneficial to the game as a whole.

By not focusing on creating level geometry that is beautiful first, playable second, SEGA are focusing on making worlds where you truly can traverse everything you see. The simplistic nature of the visuals also should make it so levels can be longer, and for there to be more of them.

Sonic Generations was a fantastic game, a ton of fun, but there were only 18 levels total, 9 of which were actual 3D worlds. This time around, I don't think it'll be too out of the ball-park to expect more stages with more to interact with and explore. Just look at the shot I posted a few posts earlier, there hasn't been level design depth in a 3D Sonic game before, ever.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree. I'd much rather genuine level geometry and stage design and doing some interesting gameplay than a thousand non interactive floating island windmills in the background of some dry 2D segment.

I've long since felt that Sonic games should be cel-shaded for that reason as it'd pop more visually and allow them to focus on what matters rather than shit whizzing by at 60fps you'll never actually get a clear image of.

Het_Nkik

Are people really that underwhelmed by this graphically? What's wrong with it? I thought it looked amazing. They were transitioning from CG to gameplay and it looked almost the same

I don't think so. I mean, a lot of the environment art styles are disparate, going from realistic grass in the CG to paper mache grass in the gameplay being the biggest example.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Looks pretty nice. I don't know why they still insist on putting the camera in front of sonic at points when he is going fast though. I hate that shit.

Birathen

Haha, this looks like pure fun and people gripe about the graphics (it looks great). Next gen will be fun to watch as it crashes and burns in bankrupt studios, fishAI and golden turds. :(

I actually felt bad for the Sonic Generations art asset creators because there was a lot of work put in to things no one will ever see.

Like the road signs in the Sonic Adventure stage.

I actually felt bad for the Sonic Generations art asset creators because there was a lot of work put in to things no one will ever see.

Like the road signs in the Sonic Adventure stage.

I think that this look just fits Sonic more than hyper-detailed worlds, as well. Unleashed had some beautiful stage design, and Generations really brought to life the classic stages with the Hedgehog Engine, but I think that keeping things simple and flat just suits this series more than fantastically detailed worlds that just so happen to include loops and rings. This truly looks like "Sonic's world", as opposed to "Sonic living in our world with Pixar lookalikes".

branny

What makes me happy about the trailer is that it seems like there is going to be much less hand-holding and gameplay in which you simply "watch", but more gameplay which makes you want to experiment and have fun with the tools the developers give you. You're going to run on walls, homing attack enemies, explore the cylindrical environments, not because the game is forcing you forward through what essentially is a playable movie, but because the game gives you these tools that will hopefully be fun to play around with.

I don't want to get to excited for this, but the more I look into it, the more I realize that this truly might be the realization of classic gameplay in a 3D environment.
Well, that's kind of what made me really like Wisps in Colors--you were given all these different, unique tools and encouraged to use them in creative ways. It wasn't like the old elemental shields that barely changed how you played. Levels also had to be less linear and more multidimensional by necessity because of how Wisps opened stages up for players. It was smart design that made the platforming feel fast, varied, and fun without needing to resort to overusing canned boosting/rail segments.

Colors was great in general. It was gorgeous. None of the bosses were awful. The music was amazing. It ran well. The world map got rid of unnecessary fluff between you and playing the game. Its scoring system was also actually fun.

I can't wait to see the crazy things speedrunners like Paraxade0 come up with for Lost Worlds. Wisps in a 3D world with more dynamic platforming? Could be really good.

BD1

Banned
Graphically this is nowhere near Generations. Its very simplistic with pretty basic geometry choices (the grass tufts are... stylistic I guess), while Generations had full 3d layers of comprehensive shit in its backgrounds. Here the "Background Galaxy" is most probably a skybox and if its not I'd have no idea why.

This method of creating graphics might appear cheap, but I think in the long run of things, it will be beneficial to the game as a whole.

By not focusing on creating level geometry that is beautiful first, playable second, SEGA are focusing on making worlds where you truly can traverse everything you see. The simplistic nature of the visuals also should make it so levels can be longer, and for there to be more of them.

Sonic Generations was a fantastic game, a ton of fun, but there were only 18 levels total, 9 of which were actual 3D worlds. This time around, I don't think it'll be too out of the ball-park to expect more stages with more to interact with and explore. Just look at the shot I posted a few posts earlier, there hasn't been level design depth in a 3D Sonic game before, ever.

Sonic development has got to have been perplexing for Sega in the HD era. On one hand, SEGA wants sonic to be a next-gen heavyweight, so they invest in really high quality assets, use complex geometry, etc. But on the other hand, its Sonic the Hedgehog, so ripping through levels at top speed is a core element of the IP. So now you've got a situation where you've spent a lot of money for eye candy that no one playing will actually see or appreciate.

blamite

Looks potentially really good! This is definitely the right direction for the series to go in, as long as the game is actually fun.

New character designs are pretty bad looking though.

Also is it just me or does Sonic look a little closer to classic Sonic from generations? Nothing major but his legs look slightly shorter maybe?

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm actually really liking the character designs. They are:

1. Not a recolor
2. Not a ultimate god species
3. Not Final Fantasy
4. Have a lot of personality
5. Not another bot for the billionth time

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
YES! I loved that game. Totally deserves a sequel or at the very least a 3DS eshop port.

Me three, then I realized they looked like the furry creatures Sonic would save in the olden days.

Top Bottom