• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Neiteio

I had my doubts about this game but the reviews are great. No proper D-pad on the Switch puts me off a bit though. Does it really control that well?

If I love Mario and like Rayman. Is this a good choice for someone who has never played Sonic before?
Sure, give it a go. Just remember that you can always take hits if you have at least one ring. Also, just pick a path and try to move forward. You can always explore the other paths on replays.

Made it to
Press Garden
Act 2 with 4 Emeralds.
Man that UFO Special Stage gets tougher further on.

Did not expect Chemical Plant Act 2's boss at all! Bravo, Sega!

Yeah, the
mean bean machine
boss battle was fucking insane, like what a reach for a reference and a great fucking idea. The only thing I would have liked more would be
Sonic Spinball.

Chemical Plant act 2 blew my hair back. every single second of that stage is incredible. and the zone after that just keeps that momentum! oooooohh baby

When does the autosave trigger? After beating a whole zone? After collecting a chaos emerald? After doing a blue spheres stage? It said to watch for an icon but I haven't been able to see it.

FSLink

Banned
I had the peel out unlocked screen but it doesn't show in the extras menu
Select Mania Mode -> No Save and press the top button (X on Switch)

if i recall,
if you just spindash silver sonic while he revs his own spindash it bounces him directly into metal sonic
. i definitely found a reliable way to do it, i think that's it.
Yep. Did it consistently and quickly this way.

MDave

I had my doubts about this game but the reviews are great. No proper D-pad on the Switch puts me off a bit though. Does it really control that well?

If I love Mario and like Rayman. Is this a good choice for someone who has never played Sonic before?

It works great because you don't need to input diagonals.

AmanoBuff

Sure, give it a go. Just remember that you can always take hits if you have at least one ring. Also, just pick a path and try to move forward. You can always explore the other paths on replays.

It works great because you don't need to input diagonals.

Thanks. I will give it a try tonight. Hopefully the game has a good tutorial because I really know nothing about playing Sonic.

I was waiting for Sine Mora EX and this and Undertale Vita seem like will fit the bill just nice.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else's home button extremely broken during gameplay on Switch? Pressing it sometimes doesn't register, and if you hold it down the quick menu appears but button presses still register in game rather than the menu. Weird.

rekameohs

Banned
Is anyone else's home button extremely broken during gameplay on Switch? Pressing it sometimes doesn't register, and if you hold it down the quick menu appears but button presses still register in game rather than the menu. Weird.
Yep, the Capture and Home buttons are both bizarre on Switch for me. Must be some OS bug.

Who knew Sonic Mania was so heavy on resources....?!

Amazing, changing to the Russia store, buying with German credit card and changing back worked flawless. 50% saved.

Thanks for the tip GAF!

Neiteio

Thanks. I will give it a try tonight. Hopefully the game has a good tutorial because I really know nothing about playing Sonic.

I was waiting for Sine Mora EX and this and Undertale Vita seem like will fit the bill just nice.
Pretty much every button jumps. If you hold down and tap the jump button, you'll spin in place to build up speed. You destroy enemies and other stuff by spinning through them.

TheOGB

Banned
I love this game and I'm only past Zone 3. That Chemical Plant boss, man
I've been playing a lot of Puyo Puyo Tetris since I got my Switch and I was ready to go in on that boss. I set up a 3-chain and was getting ready to trigger it... but then Eggman lost just as I got the Puyo I needed to set it off, lmao. I think he knew.

I was also watching my friend stream it at the same time. That Zone 5 music, brehs
8qxhHi0.png

Ferr986

Dunno if it has been said but after the first animated intro if you leave the title screen the intro shows again but with a different music track.

Select Mania Mode -> No Save and press the top button (X on Switch)

Yep. Did it consistently and quickly this way.

thanks!

I know it's totally irrelevant but Sonic Mania is pretty high on the streamers list on PS4, especially for a digital game (nº9 right now). Pretty sure it's selling really well.

FrsDvl

This game is good. Probably going to finish it sometime tonight at work, considering there is nothing better to do. Feels good to be playing such a great Sonic game in this day and age.

Falk

that puzzling face
When does the autosave trigger? After beating a whole zone? After collecting a chaos emerald? After doing a blue spheres stage? It said to watch for an icon but I haven't been able to see it.

Assuming using a save slot, it saves after each zone. If you close the game and load that save slot, you restart the zone with however many lives you stopped with.

If you game over, get kicked back to Main Menu, selecting that save slot will restart you on that zone with 3 lives.

If you use a big ring to access a special stage, game over, and restart the zone, that big ring is gone from subsequent tries. edit: big rings are restored on a CLEARED slot.

Conversely, if you get a Chaos Emerald, game over, and restart the zone, you keep the Chaos Emerald.

Clearing/Perfecting a Blue Spheres stage is permanent and global (i.e. carries across different save slots and No Save)

Guess Who

Banned

Here's your primer on Sonic:

First, it's a platformer. You run and jump. You literally only use the d-pad and a jump button, that's it.

Sonic has inertia and momentum. You have to build up speed and maintain it by not running into things, ideally.

Sonic can also roll into a ball by holding down on the d-pad while you're moving. In this form, Sonic behaves like you'd expect a ball would - he builds up speed while going down slopes, and loses it when going uphill (and will roll back down said hill if you don't have enough momentum to make it up). You have much less control over him in this form, but you can escape from it any time by jumping. He also plows through most enemies in this form and can tear down breakable walls like this, so if you're going really fast, you usually want to go into a roll.

If you're having trouble building momentum to get past an obstacle, hold down on the d-pad while you're standing still and tap the jump button a few times to charge a spindash. Let go of down and Sonic will dash forward in a roll.

Rings act as health. As long as you have one ring, you won't die if you get hit by an enemy. If you get hit, your rings go flying out of you, and you can pick some back up (though they all disappear if you don't pick them up after a few seconds). Get 100 rings at once and you get an extra life.

Much like Mario, you jump higher and farther if you hold the jump button, and do a short jump if you just tap it. Also like Mario: if you hold down the jump button when you bounce on an enemy or item box, you will bounce much higher than if you just jump on the enemy without holding it. You can use this to make some incredibly large bounces, depending on how much height you dropped on an enemy from.

Oh jeeze, almost missed this.

Played it or the first time now and directly wondered why it doesn't look like native resolution and a bit shitty. It's because the "clear" filter is activated by default.
Off with that immediately!

ZeroX03

Banned
Bought and downloaded on Switch

This game is literally the true Sonic 4

Delivered in less than two years as well. Congratulations Sega, you've got a new mainline series team that'll sell 100x it's development budget. Don't fuck it up.

That's it, just bought it! I don't usually cave in for nostalgia. But seems like everyone is enjoying the game!

So if it's a good game and it's a glimpse of SEGA doing things right, I'm gonna support it.

Lucifon

How's the Switch version guys? Not missing anything if I go down that route right? Having sonic portable along with a TV version is a pretty massive bonus for me.

For Switch users, does the home button respond very slowly for you guys while playing? Takes a good 3-4 seconds to respond for me.

Yes, standby button as well.

Question, where does it save? I finished act 1 and at the start of 2 i went back to the main menu and when i tried to continue i have to play act 1 again but still have my emerald? Weird.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yes, standby button as well.

Question, where does it save? I finished act 1 and at the start of 2 i went back to the main menu and when i tried to continue i have to play act 1 again but still have my emerald? Weird.

Assuming using a save slot, it saves after each zone. If you close the game and load that save slot, you restart the zone with however many lives you stopped with.

If you game over, get kicked back to Main Menu, selecting that save slot will restart you on that zone with 3 lives.

If you use a big ring to access a special stage, game over, and restart the zone, that big ring is gone from subsequent tries. edit: big rings are restored on a CLEARED slot.

Conversely, if you get a Chaos Emerald, game over, and restart the zone, you keep the Chaos Emerald.

Clearing/Perfecting a Blue Spheres stage is permanent and global (i.e. carries across different save slots and No Save)

edit: i think i broke posting

edit2: wtf

JayBabay

Got the game downloaded on Switch, excited to play it, was a big fan of the first 3 titles+S&K as a kid, even enjoyed 3D blast on a rental from Blockbuster. Ready to take a trip through memory lane.

I'm on vacation but the time zone is 3 hours before PST so I still got time tonight before it gets too late to give it a go.

Still remember when my parents surprised me with a Genesis and Sonic 2, getting to play as Super Sonic and feeling like a badass. :)

Jagsrock

Banned
Incredible. This is what I needed, this is what it means to go fast. Seriously I'm pretty much blown away by what I've played. From the music to the bosses everything is on point. Lots of cool nods and references aswell. Looks so good on the switch screen. Can't wait to play more when I wake up. Side note My CE can't come soon enough I need that giant sonic statue in my hands.

Loving this game, but man,
Hydrocity Act I
sucks big time. Feels like it was made by a different development team, because every other stage has been insanely fun and charming.

Hasney

It's actually saying quite a bit since the first Sonic Rush and the first Sonic Advance are quite good.

I disagree. The pits out of nowhere level design was awful, so getting over those low bars shouldn't be much of a chore.

I would have written this off if DIMPS had done the level design.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hydrocity Act I
sucks big time. Feels like it was made by a different development team, because every other stage has been insanely fun and charming.

Have you been
taking the lower path, which is basically entirely underwater, or the higher path, where there's boats?

It is the game's water level.

Guess Who

Banned
Hydrocity Act I

Act 2 was much better, but yeah, I felt like that was a bit of a low spot in the game for me too. For now I'm hoping I can chalk it up to
taking a lower path on my first playthrough that kept me underwater almost the whole time. Maybe the upper paths are better.

Top Bottom