• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Jazzem

I just screamed YES!!!!! when
Hydrocity started
. I got some weird looks but I dont even care. Pure joy.

Also, had a beaminv smile on my face when
Sonic travels to the future for Stardust Speedway act 2. Also that Metal Sonic fight was fantastic.

Yup, both those got a big reaction out of me too! The latter in particular was such a great reference done in an inspired way.

Though as much as I loved the
Metal Sonic fight, the polygonal Robotnik statue in the background at the end is probably the only ugly thing in the entire game :p

So much for the whole "Switch doesn't have a d-pad" thing. The game feels great in handheld mode.

Yup, the joycon 'dpad' being remarkably usable is one of the most pleasant surprises with the Switch! That I was able to use it on Street Fighter comfortably was especially astounding.

Good luck Phantom ^

I read a reviewer say this is the best platformer in over a decade, is that true?
If so I bet that didn't go down well with some folks lol

It's the reviewers opinion so fuck it, guy must of really enjoyed it, gets me hyped for playing it in just over 2 hrs.

ZeroD

So far this is everything I hoped it was going to be.

Quick question about the chaos emeralds though. I want to enjoy the levels but I'm also stressing about finding the rings to head into the special stage. Is there a level select after you finish the game so you can easily go back?

Are there rings in each act also? Just a yes or no response is fine. If it's considered a spoiler please spoiler for others.

I've smashed about 5 blue sphere stages so far though! I was the only one who could do them back in the day with my friends hah

Falk

that puzzling face
Is it possible to collect them all in GHZ like with MHZ in S3K?

I honestly do not know, but either I'd highly doubt it, or I'm not as good as exploration and sketching maps as I thought, hahaha.

Literally went through the first few zones with Tails flying everywhere to map out solidity, etc.

edit:
For what it's worth
playing the game as Knuckles and starting in a different part of GHZ1 does let you snag a giant ring that I'm reasonably sure Sonic/Tails cannot access

phant0m

Picked up the Switch bet for my commute this morning. Looks good, feels good. I forgot how hard Sonic actually was though, very difficult to end a stage with a significant number of rings.

muteki

So are the "secrets" that you unlock not available during the first playthrough? I found the menu on the save screen under "no save" but it doesn't let me choose it on my main file.

In any redone zone, 1 act will attempt to stay true to the games act while throwing in some new ideas or mechanics.

The other act basically takes the theme of the level and pretends to have never seen any gameplay of the classic acts or the remixed one and basically do its own idea with the enviroment.
Pretty sure that's what the post was trying to say.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So are the "secrets" that you unlock not available during the first playthrough? I found the menu on the save screen under "no save" but it doesn't let me choose it on my main file.

Seems like it which is lame if you ask me as I wanted to get rid of the drop dash as I hate it and wanted to use the other secret.

phanphare

Banned
played through the chemical plant zone this morning

this game is damn good

So much for the whole "Switch doesn't have a d-pad" thing. The game feels great in handheld mode.

it's funny, because of how small and how little travel the joy con's analog stick has I've found it to actually be pretty damn good in place of a dpad

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Any word on PS4 vs Xbox One version? Currently debating which system to buy it on...I'm assuming they're 100% identical as far as performance/visuals goes?

Ferr986

So far this is everything I hoped it was going to be.

Quick question about the chaos emeralds though. I want to enjoy the levels but I'm also stressing about finding the rings to head into the special stage. Is there a level select after you finish the game so you can easily go back?

Are there rings in each act also? Just a yes or no response is fine. If it's considered a spoiler please spoiler for others.

I've smashed about 5 blue sphere stages so far though! I was the only one who could do them back in the day with my friends hah

Seems like it. It works like Sonic3

Duffk1ng

Is there a list of special stage rings anywhere yet? Struggling to find them now I'm past zone 2.

Also fuck the blue spheres stages, many of them are just bullshit.

mrmickfran

THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T LOOK UP THE VIDEOS OF OST BEFORE FINISHING THE GAME

I DIDN'T KNOW
LAVA REEF
WAS IN THIS GAME FUCK

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Got this for the switch this morning, holy fuck it's good! If I was Sega I wouldn't make another sonic 3D game and just get more of these in the pipeline.

This game is just egregious with its fanservice - guess that comes with being a fangame. I kind of love it.

Had some annoying bug deaths (tiles disappearing, random deaths when touching the moving 4-block sets in ways that clearly shouldn't be happening) but it's a fun game so far. I wish there weren't so many new gimmicky little movement tools in EVERY level but it does help to keep things interesting and I bet I'd feel the same if I went back to Sonic 2 today.

Good stuff. Pleased with what we got, and haven't been able to say that about a Sonic game for a long time!

Psykotik

so good

UT1c.jpg

Is there a list of special stage rings anywhere yet? Struggling to find them now I'm past zone 2.

Also fuck the blue spheres stages, many of them are just bullshit.

I got really bored of them after a while. Just ended up starting to skip them. Doesn't help that a large number of the boards are untouched, or just slightly tweaked. (I don't recall rings just sitting out so much, but I could be forgetting.)

Ozone

Ending spoilers below:

But did they
just link Mania to the story of Forces??
It sure seems that way. Notice how in the true ending he's still going through the dimensional rift instead of landing with Tails and Knuckles.

This game is so damn good.
Chemical Plant Act 2 boss... WTF ARE YOU KIDDING ME
Never saw that coming.

Game is loaded with charm and fun and I can easily see why so many are lauding it as the best in the series. Damn!

Loving the drop dash. Such a fantastic addition that makes it feel like a truly iterative feature.

I'd say right now based on my couple of hours it's easily matching the quality of 3&K but with lots of added modern flourishes. Hell, I have no doubt it'll exceed 3&K in my book. Possibly even CD, which is my favorite in the series.

BiggNife

I've played up to Flying Battery so far and I love it. Just feels like a really solid Sonic game with amazing music and fantastic visuals.

I think I'm going to wait until my second playthrough to focus on emeralds, though. Right now I just want to enjoy playing through each level.

Top Bottom