• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

BumRush

I know a lot of people are bummed but I'm really excited about Neo (assuming its in the $400 range and definitely not over $500). If the thing plays 4K blus and makes games look and run a little better, it's well worth it.

w0s

Does this mean it might be out next year then? Maybe they've heard word of MS plans and put it on hold lol. Either way I'm glad it's not at E3 I want to see games for the standard PS4.

I was wondering this also. If they are pushing it to put even more power in it. I realize you can't really do this with how much r&d costs but who knows.

Servbot24

Banned
Also, I'm going to enjoy the assumption that every PS game shown is running on Neo. Expect that to come up quite a bit.
Fans are always going to paranoid and drama-mongering about something or other. I'm not sure what can really be done about that.

Zedox

There is no communication mess. This is the first communication that we have from them about this and it covers the vast majority of your ramblings. Sometimes all you have to do is read. This looks more like a comprehension mess to me.

I'd have to agree with you...I don't see how there is any communication mess when most of the news is through back channels.

they're not announcing now because they want MS to announce their box first and when Neo does get announced, it'll be more powerful.

dracula_x

I don't get the thinking here. Aren't PS4 sales going to start to tank as late adopters wait either for the PS4K or a drop in price to the original PS4? I really don't see what Sony gains from stalling.

imagine if Apple announced new iPhone about 6-8 months before release.

I have no real problem with the narrative, as long as they don't show games running on the PS4K devkits rather than original PS4. Be transparent.

I genuinely don't see why they wouldn't be able to just bring this to market within a couple of months of the reveal. I'm thinking Shinobi's guess of PGW seems plausible for the reveal, if not sooner; and a release during the holiday season. If that ain't the case, I wouldn't expect a reveal until after Christmas etc., and a release somewhere around April.

At any rate, I think it kind of makes sense to at least have the OPTION out there for people to buy PSVR and a premium model, seeing as that whole thing is depending on early adopters anyway.

I think because VR needs early adopters is precisely the reason they won't give people that option. Some may buy both, but most would choose one or the other, which effectively cannibalises PSVR's potential early user base. I think it's far better to have PSVR as the product being pushed through the holidays, then release Neo, selling it as not only an upgrade for PS4 games but also for PSVR experiences.

oti

Banned
So they'll show a lot of VR? Ugh I don't like when they focus more than 30 mins in things most people don't care about. Just drop games.

I'm afraid we're entering another Kinect era although to be fare, VR is cooler that Kinect could ever be. I hope they have some "videogamey" VR games to make this cool. Oculus and Vive are out there and it's been very hit and miss but mostly miss up to now.

Great, let's focus on the games at E3.

I'm really happy this is the case myself tbh. Now that Uncharted is out we should expect the next wave or current-gen games.

If I'm honest, this might be a great chance for MS to perform a coup. Finally build some hype.

A 15-16 month hype cycle for a console? Current technology trends make that unlikely. Too many games coming out for a console rumored to be next fall to impact things

So more focus on VR, games, and services. Probably gonna talk about VUE, PS Now, and other PSN additions as well. As long as we get new stuff I'll be happy.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Doubt this kills any sales. People said the rumors would kill ps4 sales and they didn't. People aren't just going to not buy a console when COD, BF, madden, Fifa, nba, and a shit ton of other games are hitting the market

Yeah, lol.

Come on gamers, do better.

People at my work only buy sports games and CoD and they have been talking about the NEO since April. The mass market knows this thing exists.

I will take anecdotal evidence for $500 Alex.

My friend(s) who were just raving about the new Resident Evil Revelations when I was at his concert Sunday night, and telling me to borrow it and play it, never even heard of the thing (nor the PSVR yet), so...

Has the 'Age of Sony is done...' post shown up yet?

99% of games will focus on 1080p resolution. You will not see 4K as a gaming focus before 2020 and PS5/Xbox Three.

Yep. Maybe most of the indies that are not graphically intense, like they do on the PC, but that is about it. Most AAA games, you will have to wait for the 10TF+ RayTracing machines by 2020ish.

Now that we know PS Neo won't be a thing at e3, I think Sony is gonna double down on software announcements and really push PSVR.

This is a chance for Spencer and Co. to get ahead of Sony and push their Xbox Scorpio as the new current gen console to get.

Pooya

Weird they confirmed it now but they are not showing it until months after, rumors are one thing but now that it's 'official' it's a little bit different on marketplace.

LifEndz

So they'll show a lot of VR? Ugh I don't like when they focus more than 30 mins in things most people don't care about. Just drop games.

I doubt it. I think Adam was on kinda funny last year and told Greg that the reason they didn't do a VR focused show at whatever show they just did is because VR doesn't really show well on a stage presentation to viewers. They'll probably do 20-30 minutes out of their 2 hour show.

Now that we know PS Neo won't be a thing at e3, I think Sony is gonna double down on software announcements and really push PSVR.

This is a chance for Spencer and Co. to get ahead of Sony and push their Xbox Scorpio as the new current gen console to get.

If Scorpio is really launching in 18 months, MS aren't getting ahead of Sony anytime soon. I think announcing it now would be a very, very bad decision. XB1 sales would plummet.

People at my work only buy sports games and CoD and they have been talking about the NEO since April. The mass market knows this thing exists.

Except that the market for the NEO knows. And ,well, basically everyone who would care now that word is officially out through FT.
Well, let me put it another way. NPD numbers for May just came out and the PS4 had ~35% growth over the same point last year.

NEO isn't deterring the base PS4 whatsoever.

Jesus fuck, that's inconvenient. i want a ps4 but I'm not going to get an outdated model that will have trouble running games releasing on the next revision in a few years, so i'm stuck waiting until sony decides to let me buy this thing everyone already knows about.

Raysod

Banned
There is no communication mess. This is the first communication that we have from them about this and it covers the vast majority of your ramblings. Sometimes all you have to do is read. This looks more like a comprehension mess to me.

I don’t understand why you defend Sony in this. Could you honestly suggest to one of your friends to buy a PS4 today, or the following months after all this mess?

And I have a launch PS4 before you make any wrong conclusions.

dracula_x

A 15-16 month hype cycle for a console? Current technology trends make that unlikely. Too many games coming out for a console rumored to be next fall to impact things

yep, I don't understand this too. What's the point announce now and then release it only year later (even more if rumors about Scorpio are true). It doesn't make sense at all.

I don't think Sony is banking on VR as hard as everyone is saying. I mean this to say that they aren't trying to sell 40 million PSVR initially. VR will be a slow burn that gains traction with time. Getting out in the forefront is important. PSVR does that, but neo isn't meant to compete with PSVR for $$$. It is meant to appeal to people that want prettier graphics, better performance, and 4k video playback. PSVR is for people that want new gaming experiences that can only be experienced through VR. Will there be overlap? Of course. But one will likely outsell the other by far. My guess is the neo will sell substantially more both initially and in the long run

samar11

Imagine if MS announces the 6TF Scorpio at E3, good bye PlayStation, not only will they be totally screwed in NA in sales but also WW. You really fucked up Sony!

Top Bottom