• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

Nameless

"Both versions through the life cycle".

can we put an end to the doomsday posts about new PS4s every 2 years now?

Tsosie

We will see. I do not think Andrew would openly lie to a financial outlet though. This could mean that everything we see at the conference is running on a base PS4.

PhaZZe

Banned
a delay? soo nobody will show new hardware? i though Sony was ready for unveil, welp they can do a specific event like ps4 unveil.

Volotaire

get

This is your chance, Phil!

We're not getting any hardware at E3, are we?

You'll get the Xbox slim.

Flavius

Scared of Scorpio

Perhaps. Perhaps not. But if they weren't going to show, you'd think they would have made the announcement earlier to let the disappointment fully settle before E3. This does make it seem like a last minute decision.

We will see. I do not think Andrew would openly lie to a financial outlet though. This could mean that everything we see at the conference is running on a base PS4.

Now we are fully in the weird. The console won't be there, but will gameplay for future releases be based on the specs for PS4, or Neo?

Yeah but people have been getting hyped and talking about Teraflops and a year being too long of a window to let the Neo be the only new console out for weeks now! This isn't fair to speculators!

Revan

Gamescon is my guess for the unveil - or maybe TGS depending on what happens with the Xbox Scorpio.

Interesting tho none the less - confirming and not showing.

The PS4 has dominated this gen - not surprised they don't want to canabalise those sales by not announcing it. My guess is they are gonna pull an Apple - announce it and it's available the next day sort of thing.

EDIT: the other thing that just hit me was PSVR - they aren't going to want to announce a new PlayStation and have VR released at once - that become over a grand (at least here in Canada) to just play a single game (and let's face it - the casual crowd won't spend an extra couple hundred bucks just to play one VR game). The target market here is Christmas and having two serious big ticket items that kids are gonna want will turn a lot of people off of the idea all together. I love my son but no way in hell could I ever justify the cost of PSNeo and PSVR all at the same time.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
As a non-PS4 owner this makes me not know what to do :( Was hoping for some clarity out of E3.

Want to play UC4, want to play No Man's Sky in August...want to play The Tomorrow Children... but don't want to buy a PS4 if Neo is right around the corner.

But is it? :/

I mean Nintendo won't show NX and now this. Yeah, this speaks a lot about E3 and revealing systems there. It's not important at all.

Theonik

o_O I guess better to confirm it like this than on stage and incite a riot (to what little people don't know about it yet)

Best thing to do is keep it low-key, I think.
I think it will get a stage but not this stage.

Not announcjing at E3? But I thought it is releasing this year?
I think like with the PS3 slim/pricecut they will opt announcing it closer to the units come out to avoid a drop in PS4 sales I'm expecting to hear about it in Aug/Sept (Gamescom/TGS). Unless they opt to launch it early next year like I originally assumed when we'll see it Dec on PSX or in a Jan/Feb special event. They might want it out by the holidays maybe but I don't think missing the holidays will affect it. They can sell lots of core PS4s with the slim/pricecut this holiday.

Wonder if MS will go ahead with announcing their new revision. If they do that's gonna be a lot of buzz that Sony will miss out on.

Volotaire

Any takers on Scorpio no showing at E3 now?

I'll also put the release date of PS4K at...2 days before NX comes out.

I wasn't expecting Scorpio or the Neo to be shown. Only the xbox slim. The most I was expecting from the former two was talk of the new strategies.

Playsage

I'm really glad this won't be shown at E3. More time for ACTUAL games than new hardware.
I feel like this.

Also, Xbox Scorpio was rumored (or leaked?) to target 2017 for release so I'm pretty sure we are not going to see new console this E3

Which makes sense. Considering Guerrilla's history, it'd certainly be questionable to have new trailers for their game running on a higher end machine that isn't even out yet.

Why ? You can announce a HW and sell it shortly after.

Edit: E3 should always be about games IMO.
But why would they? We're half way through the year and that's a big product, if they planned to release it any time soon they'd show it now. Just means that it isn't their focus right now which is good, get psvr out the door first then move forward. If they want this thing to be successful it's going to need more than a couple months of marketing. It's a new console and a new type of console so I doubt they're going to rush it.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Well he said not showing the console next week, they can still talk about it :)

Milton

Banned
Meh. I won't be forking out for a fucking 4K television for this thing. Guess I'll stick with my rusty old PS4 for the forseeable.

DieH@rd

Banned
I expected this.

There is no point showing Neo in early summer,sales of regular PS4 would tank. They shoul unveil it few weeks before it enter stores.

Interesting move.MS could steal some thunder here...

I'm not sure how I feel about this,are Sony waiting for MS to show there cards first?

Very intriguing stuff

Would have to subscribe to the site to read the full article. Ugh

As for Neo itself, I'm fine with Sony not showing it at E3. Kinda indifferent on it at the present moment

Daft Punk

Banned
I'm here waiting for the same backslash Nintendo got for not revealing NX at E3.

That basically confirms it will not be out this year, right?

What backlash? Sony is in the driver's seat this generation. Why would they intentionally take a bat to their kneecaps this early in the year when they can take their time and unveil it later? The pressure is on MS to unveil Scorpio and reboot their generation as soon as possible, not Sony. Also, this doesn't confirm anything. If production is currently going on, they can reveal it at Gamescom and still be ready for a holiday season launch.

As a non-PS4 owner this makes me not know what to do :( Was hoping for some clarity out of E3.

Want to play UC4, want to play No Man's Sky in August...want to play The Tomorrow Children... but don't want to buy a PS4 if Neo is right around the corner.

But is it? :/

You can play NMS on PC. Coming day and date.

It'd coming before the end of the year, if UC4 is all you're missing out on I think you'll be okay. Great game but just one! Tomorrow Children has a beta coming I think right?

Top Bottom