• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Gamescom to be focused on the PS4's lineup

Can't wait to see some more PlayStation 4 games.

Hopefully some surprises are inbound.

This. I hope for some more polished versions of the games demoed at E3 but I am really hoping to hear of some surprise game announcements, maybe even an additional launch title. I've been holding off my second pre-order (first was for the PS4 & additional DS4) containing the games I will get until we have an absolute final list of those games that'll be available at, or within a month of, day one.

RoKKeR

Open the floodgates Sony. One extra launch title would be great. Just don't forget the Vita, there is in fact a 2014 and we haven't seen anything for Vita past this year. (Freedom Wars aside)

Look, just because Sony has stated that Gamescom will be "focused on the PS4" doesn't mean we won't have a couple of Vita game announcements on the side, right?

Right?!

If we get a couple of new titles revealed that look as stellar as Tearaway and Killzone Mercenary did at last year's event, I'd be somewhat content.

GodofWine

I'm looking forward to the latest build of driveclub finally replacing the E3 build.

I hope they put some time towards Planetside 2 and maybe a few surprise announcements

Ponn

Banned
E3 had very announcements for Vita on stage but a decent number of new games shown on the shop floor.

Same thing was said last year, you know a few months after the US launch and you would expect a company to be hyping the shit out of a new console. No we got 30 minutes of Wonderbook. The "Vita has no games" meme kept going. Guess what, its still going. If Sony treats their own console like Meg then its no surprise everyone else does.

Moobabe

Same thing was said last year, you know a few months after the US launch and you would expect a company to be hyping the shit out of a new console. No we got 30 minutes of Wonderbook. The "Vita has no games" meme kept going. Guess what, its still going. If Sony treats their own console like Meg then its no surprise everyone else does.

What I said isn't untrue - a thread popped up showing all the Vita games shown at E3 this year, some were brand new just not announced on stage.

Edit

Yep - here it is.

As a future PS4 owner I'm glad to hear about the focus for PS4 games and maybe they will sneak in some amazing surprises and even a launch date (please October).
Like others, I have per-ordered a system and a second controller but am waiting to hear more about games. I know Ubisoft games will drop like rocks in price ($40-$30 by Christmas time) but I want to know more about first-party and exclusives. As of right now, Killzone is my only maybe game which I'll probably end up getting even though I've never played a game in the series before.

I'm sad as a Vita owner because the Vita is a great little piece of tech that just couldn't get off the ground. I waited it out and got one for a good deal on black friday last year and it was totally worth the money. I know vita is "lol no games" but there are so many games I've been able to play thanks to PS+ alone I still haven't gotten through everything. And the indies are a nice bonus (Hotline Miami sooo good). I really wish Sony will support this system more because it has the potential to be really awesome and I say this as a 3DS owner too.

So here's hoping for a solid PS4 showing and some Vita love that was better than E3.

Ishan

Nowhere else for it to go.

Funny thing is . I had no interest in vita but am getting a ps4 ... But seeing as how it's being positioned as an off tv ps4 controller which has tons of indie games plus one of two big ones in a while ... Has me considering a purchase down the line when the price drops...

A big pull is how my psn subscription will basically just let me play tons of vita games for free.

I hope Sony release another PS4 type tease video for Gamescom between now and the 20th to get the hype going like what they did before the initial unveiling and E3 shows.

qko

Good. They can have the vita games on the show floor but I want to see PS4 games, more PS4 games, and then some more PS4 games during the actual conference.

Don't worry they might even stuff the Vita portion on the show floor with PS4. Heck they'll probably make the whole Gamescom about the PS4 and then say TGS will be the "Vita show from the Heavens". And then when the TGS comes around, it'll all be PS4 again.

DieH@rd

Banned
Still get the feeling the Vita is going to get some serious love at Gamescom!

Yes it will...
i2GigPNx2M3B5.gif

iIbdlh4bVc7xS.gif

...with PS4 games. :D

Frodo

Don't worry they might even stuff the Vita portion on the show floor with PS4. Heck they'll probably make the whole Gamescom about the PS4 and then say TGS will be the "Vita show from the Heavens". And then when the TGS comes around, it'll all be PS4 again.

The way Sony has been handling Vita is baffling to me. It is like they aren't even trying. It is a great platform and it looks like they have no idea what to do with it or they are simply happy to let it end as a PS4 controller. Maybe they expect third parties will pick the platform up. I don't know... It is just... sad.

eCVvwWb.gif

The way Sony has been handling Vita is baffling to me. It is like they aren't even trying. It is a great platform and it looks like they have no idea what to do with it or they are simply happy to let it end as a PS4 controller. Maybe they expect third parties will pick the platform up. I don't know... It is just... sad.

It's still relatively new. Just needs some time, it's never going to be a mega seller, because it's not a smartphone (and who knows, it might be even more dead if it were).

It'll get 30 million LTD.

People forget the PS3 never sold gangbusters, and we still consider that a success.

BigDug13

eCVvwWb.gif

It's timing. They're gearing up for next gen with development studios. They're providing some of the PS3's best games this year as well with their development studios. It's like fighting a war on 3 fronts. How many development soldiers are left to work on Vita right now? Once PS3 development dwindles down, they'll be back to fighting on two fronts.

DieH@rd

Banned
PS3 started to sell great after PS3 Slim and its pricedrop came. 3DS started to sell well only after its price was slashed from 250 to ~170 bucks.

Vita needs the same, but the problem is that it has really pricey components and Sony is not willing to loose money.

GamerTime

Banned
The Vita plays second fiddle to the Ps4, and rightfully so. It's a good complimentary device that will make Ps4 gaming on the toilet, or in bed as nothing but pure ecstasy.

It's also useful when your Woman is making you watch something extremely boring with her.

PS3 started to sell great after PS3 Slim and its pricedrop came. 3DS started to sell well only after its price was slashed from 250 to ~170 bucks.

Vita needs the same, but the problem is that it has really pricey components and Sony is not willing to loose money.

It will happen, but you're exactly right.

It will have a turning point. It's sold me, and I didn't give a crap about the console when it was announced. Or ever. And with PS Plus, I kinda do.

Do we even have confirmation that Remote Play over the internet is still a thing for PS4?

Yes. I have my doubts it will work all that great, but shu yoshida did say it's available as an option.

I talked to one of my guys a little while ago. He is under the assumption that the vita is going to have a nice showing at gamescom but he is double checking (because... shit changes).

I'll report back if/when I learn more. But I don't think this facebook post means that there will be no vita. And of course it was never going to be Vita>PS4.

BigDug13

Another thing to remember. Vita is a poor companion device to a PS3 but is the perfect companion device to the PS4. Vita is definitely going to get a push once this PS4 train is steaming ahead.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm almost as excited for this as I am playing the PS4 on my TV. I hope the 'remote' Remote Play as in when I'm not at home works well.

For a start, you will need a good upload on your home internet connection [lets say ~10-20mbps]. Without that, you will have nothing.

As for lag, take your laptop/tablet/smartphone and test the lag between remote locations that you will use and your home PC. Some lucky gaffers have 5-6ms lag between their home and work. Damn their optical connections to high hell. :D

For a start, you will need a good upload on your home internet connection [lets say ~10-20mbps]. Without that, you will have nothing.

As for lag, take your laptop/tablet/smartphone and test the lag between remote locations that you will use and your home PC. Some lucky gaffers have 5-6ms lag between their home and work. Damn their optical connections to high hell. :D
You don't even need 10mbps for a HD Netflix stream. Not sure why you think you'll need that much upload.

The Vita is only qHD - shouldn't need too much bandwidth.

I hope they show some new PS4 games.I'm not too excited for their PS4 line up so far.

It'd be surprising if they didn't. At E3 they knew that their message was enough to pull them through the show, so they didn't really need to lift the curtain on their games. But things have to return back to being about the games now that E3 is over. It'd just a matter of which studio titles we'll see. Media Molecule? Guerrilla's new IP? XDev is hyping their games and they exist to help with first party published third party titles.

Right now I think the Stardust successor is the only game that's a lock for gamescom.

DieH@rd

Banned
Nice, thank you! That confirmation is a month old, don't know why I had missed it...

Was afraid they had kept it locally only for PS4 to 100% secure that it was lag free.

Remote Play was not introduced just to stream games, it also streams music and videos from home console. Because of that, they will never drop RP via internet functionality.

Frodo

It's still relatively new. Just needs some time, it's never going to be a mega seller, because it's not a smartphone (and who knows, it might be even more dead if it were).

It'll get 30 million LTD.

People forget the PS3 never sold gangbusters, and we still consider that a success.

It's timing. They're gearing up for next gen with development studios. They're providing some of the PS3's best games this year as well with their development studios. It's like fighting a war on 3 fronts. How many development soldiers are left to work on Vita right now? Once PS3 development dwindles down, they'll be back to fighting on two fronts.

I understand Sony needs to make money on the PS3 after investing so much on it, and it is the safe bet now that they managed to recover, but... Why release the Vita now if they we not able to support it, then?

The PS3 recovered after the games hit and after the price drop. It needed an extra effort from Sony to make it successful. Same thing with the 3DS. Nintendo slashed the price and brought the heavy hitters to the system. We kind of saw the same thing stating to happen with the Vita with the price cut and Soul Sacrifice in Japan, but clearly, it was not enough, though it helped considerably.

GT6 should be on Vita instead of PS3. Same thing with Puppeteer. PS3 has enough of third party support to handle itself. Sony first party studios should be focused on the Vita. And they are clearly not (as far as we know now). And this is why I said it looks like they are happy to let it end as a expensive PS4 controller.

Top Bottom