• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Germany: X360 sales 253k, PS3 to be WW leader till christmas

Yeah, basically Uwe Bassendowski from SCED claims that X360 has sold 253k units in 17 months (so probably basically till now... although X360 actually has only been on the european market for 16 months).
He also says that PS3 will sell more units than X360 worldwide till christmas.

Sony CED: PlayStation3 überholt Xbox 360 bis Jahresende

03.04.07 - Sony will mit der PlayStation3 noch in diesem Jahr die Marktführerschaft auch bei den Konsolen der neuen Generation erreichen. 'Bis Weihnachten werden wir weltweit an Microsofts Xbox 360 vorbeiziehen', sagte Uwe Bassendowski, Deutschland-Chef von Sony Computer Entertainment der dpa am Dienstag.

In Deutschland sei der Europastart der PS3 sehr erfolgreich verlaufen, sagte Bassendowski. 'Die PlayStation 3 hat in den ersten beiden Verkaufstagen 36 Millionen Euro in die Kassen des deutschen Einzelhandels gespült.'

Damit liege die PS3 um 70 Prozent über den Umsätzen des günstigeren Wii von Nintendo (12 Mio. Euro) und Microsofts Xbox 360 mit 10 Mio. Euro Handelsumsatz in den ersten beiden Tagen.

Mit 60 000 verkauften Stück in Deutschland innerhalb von zwei Tagen habe Sony seine beiden Konkurrenten hierzulande sogar zusammengenommen überrundet, sagte Bassendowski. Im Vergleich zur Xbox 360 habe der Verkauf um 80 Prozent höher gelegen.

Innerhalb von 17 Monaten habe Microsoft 253.000 Xbox 360 abgesetzt. 'Dies bedeutet, dass wir in nur zwei Tagen ein Viertel ihres Gesamtabsatzes erreichen konnten', so Bassendowski.
CLICK (Yahoo: 'Sony: PlayStation 3 überholt Microsofts Xbox bis Jahresende')

www.gamefront.de

Durante

The context of the statement being that they sold about 1/4 as many PS3s in 2 days as MS sold 360s in 17 months in Germany. That's a ridiculous amount of spin of course.

Evlar

Banned
It could conceivably outsell 360 worldwide (month-by-month, not LTD obviously). 360 may be weaker in Europe than many assumed and PS3's sluggish sales in Japan still look stellar in comparison to 360.

So yeah. It's possible.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Awesome! Since PR mouthpieces can say whatever the hell they want concerning Europe. They can even make numbers up because unlike US & Japan sales, no one can publicly call them on it. The sales numbers are never released publicly and just look at Sony PR about sales data where they ARE released. If they feel they can say that crap when the numbers say something totally different, what do you think they'll say in Europe?

Draft

Defuser said:
I would say picking up more speed when FFXIII hits...
But he says it WILL be the world wide leader till Christmas. Now maybe I'm inferring but wouldn't that statement logically lead one to believe it won't be the world wide leader after Christmas?

There's something fishy about this. Something's off.

Orlics

Do companies really do this? Do they really promote their products by citing the sales numbers of competing products?

Xisiqomelir

A little bit OT, but does anyone remember Sony Spain saying PS3 would beat the Spanish 360 LTD on launch day? Did that work out?

Haunted

Only interesting tidbit: 60.000 units sold in the first two days... take that as you will.

But - *sigh* - he's actually quoting revenue numbers to strengthen Sony's appearance.

Well, as a German, I'm proud that the PR guys in my own country are not lagging behind their international counterparts. /patriotic

Defuser

Draft said:
But he says it WILL be the world wide leader till Christmas. Now maybe I'm inferring but wouldn't that statement logically lead one to believe it won't be the world wide leader after Christmas?

There's something fishy about this. Something's off.
Well duh,this is some unknown Sony PR we're talking about.

Pimpwerx

Is that claiming the 360 only sold 250k throughout all of EU? LOL! Aren't the EU Live numbers alone bigger than that? Has MS ever made a PR about their EU sales? That number is ridiculous. PEACE.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Haunted One said:
Well, as a German, I'm proud that the PR guys in my own country are not lagging behind their international counterparts. /patriotic

Stupid PR knows no boundaries.

:)

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
JB1981 said:
Hay guyz, it's squatingyeti.

Glad you added something productive. Maybe next time you'll throw in a little Xbot or nintard. Other people will get pissed and say SDF in different threads. People are so defensive. I'm probably one of the FEW people here that DOES actually have a stake in each company.

Pimpwerx said:
Is that claiming the 360 only sold 250k throughout all of EU? LOL! Aren't the EU Live numbers alone bigger than that? Has MS ever made a PR about their EU sales? That number is ridiculous. PEACE.

I would imagine that number is for Germany...

Durante

Durante said:
The context of the statement being that they sold about 1/4 as many PS3s in 2 days as MS sold 360s in 17 months in Germany. That's a ridiculous amount of spin of course.

http://www.rif.org/

Speevy

Banned
Sony won't be worldwide market leader this Christmas. It's not possible. They might not even be ahead of Nintendo this Christmas.

cartoon_soldier said:
Worldwide or just in Germany?

If they mean wordwide, can we ban him when it doesn't happen?

Worldwide.

Edit: Err yeah, the 235.000 figure is for Germany only.

Joe211 said:
I think some major 360 titles like GOW are banned in Germany

Some 360 games are indexed, none are banned.

nategc

Banned
Defuser said:
2007= Hell no
??????????????????????????????
2008= Maybe....

fixed, how in the hell will this happen....didn't everyone keep saying the samething with the psp a long time ago....know look at it. :lol

Luckyman

Banned
The Sphinx said:
It could conceivably outsell 360 worldwide (month-by-month, not LTD obviously). 360 may be weaker in Europe than many assumed and PS3's sluggish sales in Japan still look stellar in comparison to 360.

So yeah. It's possible.

So by worldwide leader, I'm guessing he's adopting the "La-la-la-I-cannot-see-the-Wii" attitude that is gaining vogue these days?

edit: unless that's just the invention of the thread title?

Defuser

nategc said:
fixed, how in the hell will this happen....didn't everyone keep saying the samething with the psp a long time ago....know look at it. :lol
PSP doesn't have FF game yet... :)

Frankfurter said:
He also says that PS3 will sell more units than X360 worldwide till christmas.

Not exactly sure what that means. More units each month worldwide thru xmas?

Possible I guess but I kinda doubt it . . . it could happen since the PS3 is relatively new and the 360 does so incredibly bad in Japan.

But both the 360 & PS3 have lame sales due to their high prices. Both need price drops.

I'm still shocked that MSFT decided to raise the price with new Elite SKU . . . WTF? The last time a console maker released a more expensive version of a current console was the Sony PSX . . . and we know how well that did.

nategc

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
So by worldwide leader, I'm guessing he's adopting the "La-la-la-I-cannot-see-the-Wii" attitude that is gaining vogue these days?

exactly, maybe there planning on bombing the nintendo headquarters. and with out the wii, theres no nights segata, what are you gonna do about that.

Segata Sanshiro said:

Actually his words are sth. like 'Till christmas we'll overtake X360 worldwide'.

Yahoo.de than added that that means that Sony plans to be the worldwide market leader in the next generation of gaming consoles. In that context Bassendowski doesn't mention Wii at all, though, and yahoo only states that it is one of the three consoles.

nategc

Banned
Defuser said:
PSP doesn't have FF game yet... :)

thats just......... why did........who is.....nevermind.

that reply must be a trap :lol :lol :lol

ds didn't need a ff 3 for sells, the wii don't, xbox 360 don't, or xbox.... soooooooooo.....wow at that.

hadareud

The Translator
Frankfurter said:
Some 360 games are indexed, none are banned.

Gears is not on sale in Germany as a result though. Of course that hurts the console.

253k is still low though, but I think the original xbox had quite a tough time in Germany too. Does anyone have some original xbox numbers for Germany?

Anyway so we now know that the 360 sold 253k in germany and over a million in the UK. Would be interesting to get some numbers for the rest of Europe.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
speculawyer said:
I'm still shocked that MSFT decided to raise the price with new Elite SKU . . . WTF? The last time a console maker released a more expensive version of a current console was the Sony PSX . . . and we know how well that did.

Yeah, pretty lame move and I think will result in more people believing the PS3 is only $20 more. Therefore, it could actually HELP PS3 sales. Furthermore, they've ensured they're not going to lower the price within the next 3 months by releasing the elite. There's no way they could screw the people that buy it in early May. I think they should have waited until they were going to pricedrop and this would seem like a great deal.

pswii60

MS are doing a terrible job in Europe everywhere outside the UK, Reggie was right. Sony are much better at targetting each country with their own marketing campaigns etc. Even every country in Europe has had its very own version of Singstar.

MS definitely need to micro-localise to compete better.

Top Bottom