• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has generated approximately $700 million from PC port sales for the last fiscal year

yazenov

JA8u4V.gif
ha ha simpsons GIF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Wonderful. Staggered PC release is the best solution for all parties. How a PC player can complain about buggy ports and also demand day and date release will never make sense to me.
To crunch it down into a simple statement

We want early ports that are bug free and well optimized at launch.

yurinka

Some extra sales from Xbox as well (Destiny, MLB).

It didn't generate around $700M on PC.

This also includes Destiny 2 for Xbox and MLB for Xbox + Switch, which in FY22 (which unlike FY23 had a Destiny 2 release), in addition to Bungie PC revenue that FY before the acquisition was $185M. So maybe Switch+Xbox did in FY22 arond $100-$150M.

Due to Destiny 2 Final Shape not being released in FY23 due to its delay to FY24, pretty likely this "other software" made in rival consoles less in FY23 than in FY22. I don't know, maybe did around under $100M.

So if Sony did $678M as "other software" in FY23, then in PC maybe they did somewhere around $530M-$600M. Last year Sony estimated they were going to make $450M in PC but they were counting with The Final Shape being released in FY23 and didn't know Helldivers 2 was going to be that successful.

You mean what destroyed Xbox?
I'd say having way less and worse 1st party games is what destroyed the Xbox console, but releasing all their 1st party games on PC and GP also did help.

But I think their transition to become a multiplatform publisher with Windows as home platform will heavily help MS to grow as gaming company, they will make way more money than before specially if they stop including their games day one on the GP, at least in the mid tier, and close the loopholes to play them for free or $1.

Its the Helldivers effect.

The three quarter before that are bad. And even those numbers are inflated. Sony has released PC numbers last year. they were nowhere near $500 million it shows here for FY2022. IIRC, they were under $200 million and anticipating $300 million for 2023 so the majority of this is likely on xbox and switch because of MLB the show or whatever else they make for mobile.
Nah, the three quarters before combined also had a nice increase over the previous fiscal year.

Even if not as big as the increase of Helldivers 2 + HFW release had this Q4FY23 vs the release in the previous year of Destiny 2 Lightfall + Returnal + TLOU in Q4FY22.

And these numbers aren't inflated, they are the revenue that 1st party games make outside PS. Meaning, they include PC, Xbox (Destiny 2 + MLB) and Switch (MLB), which is what Sony shares as "other software" in their earning announcements. In the Businesss Segments Meeting (May 30th) is where Sony details their results and shows their PC specific revenue.

In FY22 they did $435,48M as "other software" (counting Bungie since the start of the fiscal year) and $250M in PC (counting Bungie only since the acquisition). This year for their PC number will count Bungie since the start of the FY, but the revenue from Xbox+Switch in FY23 will be smaller than in FY22 because the FY23 Destiny 2 release has been delayed to FY24.

Meaning, in FY23 pretty likely out of the $678M they reported as "other software", maybe around under $100M would be from Xbox+Switch. Meaning, Sony made around $500M-$600M in PC this FY23, when they estimated to make $450M.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

That's only year late ports, too.

Let me buy PC day one. I'm on the verge of selling my PS5 because it's just an ornament, I buy exclusives new on disc and then sell them after finishing them in a weekend for ~85% of the value. I play everything else on PC and I'm not interested in PS+.

Let me take the cash I'd spend on a console (where you make very little money) and I'll dump it all in digital PC games on your proprietary launcher so I don't need to keep this dumb box under my TV.
This just shows that their current strategy makes decent revenue as it is.
Throw in a couple of GaaS titles and they can safely continue their current plans with minimal effort.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
In the vault. They're stubborn, but we will get it eventually.

Most definitely coming. Sony is likely salivating at the prospects of making so much money off old games, for minimal cost.

And they deserve it. I would have never played GoT had they never released in PC.

I would wager day one 'on gamepass' is what tanked Xbox sales. They conditioned their base to spend the cost of a Starbucks coffee and muffin on a monthly sub featuring day and date releases, on top of play anywhere initiatives. Great for the consumer but destroyed the value of owning an actual Xbox or the need to buy their games.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Why would they be idiots? People rave about their first party games, unlike Xbox. That’s the difference. It doesn’t work for Xbox because their games aren’t good.

You don't give brand new, multi million dollar AAA games away for 'free' on a subscription service. It's moronic. We have all the evidence we need to show us that.

Last edited:

yazenov

Gambling is a serious addiction.

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Nah, it's not even a bet at this point but commen sense. I only take bets that I am 100% certain that your prediction is wrong.

But it shows that you don't even believe in what you said if you are not willing to put money where your mouth is.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nah, it's not even a bet at this point but commen sense. I only take bets that I am 100 certain that your prediction is wrong.

Unless they announce in an upcoming showcase that the PC version will release later, my prediction is already correct.

Before the PS5 gen is over, there will be at least one SP focused Sony game released day and date on PC, mark my words.

Robert De Niro Comedy GIF by Lionsgate

yazenov

Unless they announce in an upcoming showcase that the PC version will release later, my prediction is already correct.

Robert De Niro Comedy GIF by Lionsgate

As people have explained to you, I'm not taking about one-offs of old remakes, I'm talking about all single player games from Sony day one on PC going forward.

I won't take that bet if I were you :p

Last edited:

adamsapple

As people have explained to you, I'm not taking about one-offs of old remakes, I'm talking about all single player games from Sony day one of PC going forward.

I won't take that bet if I were you :p

I have no interest in taking any bets with you, what I predicted has already happened. :messenger_smiling:

I have no interest in taking any bets with you, what I predicted has already happened. :messenger_smiling:

I don't really feel like remakes count. It's not a new game. It's just a remake of an old game. It's why people got a bit peeved that a remake was included in GOTY category. People understand it's not the same as releasing a new game.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I think they'd be idiots to do that. It's clearly been an absolute failure for Xbox as a strategy.

You can't actually believe that releasing PC games day-and-date is what destroyed Xbox.

Game Pass, disappointing games, disappointing hardware, betraying consumer trust, and poor marketing are what destroyed Xbox.

adamsapple

I don't really feel like remakes count. It's not a new game. It's just a remake of an old game. It's why people got a bit peeved that a remake was included in GOTY category. People understand it's not the same as releasing a new game.

While I agree with you to an extent, keep in mind TLoU Part 1 was launched as a premier $70 game, even though that is the exact same game with a new coat of graphics, they even used the exact same audio tracks.

When you're selling something at a premium, it counts as a premium-marquee title.

Similarly, RE4 Remake was one of the best games of 2023 and if it wouldn't be counted in GoTy awards or shit like that simply because it was a remake, that'd be pretty bad too.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This just shows that their current strategy makes decent revenue as it is.
Throw in a couple of GaaS titles and they can safely continue their current plans with minimal effort.

Decent revenue indeed, but you know what suits like more than decent revenue. There's 100% talks going on internally right now about their future on PC, whether those talks comes to fruition or not.

ProtoByte

You can't actually believe that releasing PC games day-and-date is what destroyed Xbox.
The second people can say "there's no reason to buy x", there's a big problem.

Game Pass, disappointing games, disappointing hardware, betraying consumer trust, and poor marketing are what destroyed Xbox.
PC ports were the first domino, really.
I would also say that you tend to make less technically polished games the more platforms you have to develop for, and more disappointing games as a result; you destroy consumer trust or value in the brand by porting exclusives to other machines.

adamsapple

So you want me to do the work for you? Look through my messages I've posted it before than that I'm not going to spoon feed you by going through Google.

You're the one referring to some nebulous data, lol. The least you can do is provide some sample points.

Killjoy-NL

Decent revenue indeed, but you know what suits like more than decent revenue. There's 100% talks going on internally right now about their future on PC, whether those talks comes to fruition or not.
Yeah, but that's what GaaS is for. Hence their focus on Day 1 PC releases for GaaS titles.

We already know they don't have high costs getting their titles ported to PC.

Last edited:

yazenov

While I agree with you to an extent, keep in mind TLoU Part 1 was launched as a premier $70 game, even though that is the exact same game with a new coat of graphics, they even used the exact same audio tracks.

When you're selling something at a premium, it counts as a premium-marquee title.

Similarly, RE4 Remake was one of the best games of 2023 and if it wouldn't be counted in GoTy awards or shit like that simply because it was a remake, that'd be pretty bad too.

So are you saying that the next non remake single player non Gaas game from Sony 1st party game will be on PC day one?

No, this is not a bet. I'll just save this post and bring your post up when you're wrong :)

Neofire

The second people can say "there's no reason to buy x", there's a big problem.

PC ports were the first domino, really.
I would also say that you tend to make less technically polished games the more platforms you have to develop for, and more disappointing games as a result; you destroy consumer trust or value in the brand by porting exclusives to other machines.
Bingo and time and time again history has shown PC can not carry a single console manufacturer and definitely not all 3. Casual gamers will never flock to PC and that is the life blood of the industry.
So console manufacturers alienating their bases, like Microsoft, will pay the price.

ProtoByte

I'm not evangelical about it or anything, but I do think we're inching closer towards day one PC, even if it only starts with the PS6 or whatever. The market is only getting bigger harder to ignore, and the sales rates of the PS4 and PS5 is basically identical when by all rights it should be faster.
Why should it be faster?

The PS5 was in a supply shortage for 2 years. It's 100 dollars more expensive. The games cost more money. The economy is worse. The market is even more mature now than it was then. There are more cross gen releases, including Sony's first parties which is almost a new precedent in itself. Oh, also, they've started porting stuff to PC. You can bet there's a few people who've taken that as signaling that they don't need a PS5, and even more will know they don't need a PS5 if this continues.

Here's the thing, Playstation isn't significantly growing the base with these ports of single player games. The actual sales numbers and concurrent player counts make that clear. All they're doing is scraping short term profits now to pump the numbers a little and parade a new "initiative" on their IR calendar.

The long term is going to see stagnation or decline as they lose revenue from consoles sales, the 30% chunk on the more price competitive Steam sales, and any hope of subscription or 3rd party licensing revenue.

This "PC market is getting sooo much bigger" (in comparison to consoles) stuff is myth.

Microsoft said what you're saying, and look where they are now. Yes, Sea of Thieves did great on PC, just like Helldivers 2 is doing great there for Sony. But the exception only proves the rule.

Topher

Gold Member

Yeah, primarily it was Xbox One. It was an overpriced, underpowered console with arguably the most damaging marketing campaign ever for a console prior to launch. As I pointed out previously in the thread, sales of the console tanked before the first game was ported to PC. That timeline is quite clear so it is really silly to point to PC ports as the reason for the failure of Xbox.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

I believe releasing brand new, multi million dollar AAA games day one for fuck all on a cheap subscription service on both console and PC is certainly what has contributed to Xbox's downfall. They created an expectation that couldn't make enough money, or sell enough hardware.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, but that's what GaaS is for. Hence their focus on Day 1 PC releases for GaaS titles.

We already know they don't have high costs getting their titles ported to PC.

Sure, but bigger picture; in the exact same 3 year span from launch, they've sold as many PS5s and they did PS4s. That shouldn't be the case, that number should be higher, especially factoring in that PS5 launched amidst Covid. Numerous factors at play obviously, but that number should be higher. There's simply more gaming-age humans on earth than there was a decade ago.

But then you look at how well PC gaming is doing today, and it's easy to see where some of those numbers are going. Take a look at the Google trend for "gaming PC" worldwide - do you know when that searched peaked? The exact month that the PS5 launched.

Kids aren't playing on consoles like they used to. They're playing on mobile phones and gaming PCs, like their favourite Twitch streamers and Youtubers. Sony sees this just as Microsoft do, and I'm not saying this 100% proves Sony will go day one PC, but they have to be thinking about that long-term. I personally just think it's a slow build toward the inevitable.

Edit: will probably be offline until at least Sunday now so apologies if you reply and I don't

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I believe releasing brand new, multi million dollar AAA games day one for fuck all on a cheap subscription service on both console and PC is certainly what has contributed to Xbox's downfall. They created an expectation that couldn't make enough money, or sell enough hardware.

Indeed. Game Pass devalued the Xbox brand and Xbox content. Releasing on PC did not.

AV

Why should it be faster?

The PS5 was in a supply shortage for 2 years. It's 100 dollars more expensive. The games cost more money. The economy is worse. The market is even more mature now than it was then. There are more cross gen releases, including Sony's first parties which is almost a new precedent in itself. Oh, also, they've started porting stuff to PC. You can bet there's a few people who've taken that as signaling that they don't need a PS5, and even more will know they don't need a PS5 if this continues.

Here's the thing, Playstation isn't significantly growing the base with these ports of single player games. The actual sales numbers and concurrent player counts make that clear. All they're doing is scraping short term profits now to pump the numbers a little and parade a new "initiative" on their IR calendar.

The long term is going to see stagnation or decline as they lose revenue from consoles sales, the 30% chunk on the more price competitive Steam sales, and any hope of subscription or 3rd party licensing revenue.

This "PC market is getting sooo much bigger" (in comparison to consoles) stuff is myth.

Microsoft said what you're saying, and look where they are now. Yes, Sea of Thieves did great on PC, just like Helldivers 2 is doing great there for Sony. But the exception only proves the rule.

It was in supply shortage. It hasn't been for a very long time now and that number remains the same. As you point out, numerous factors, and I mention this in my post above, but that number should be higher than it is, and that's reflected by Sony's own forecasts not being met several times now.

The figures for console market growth only factor in Nintendo, correct? A company playing their own sport, with no (legitimate) alternative method of play. We're witnessing the end of the lifecycle of the most successful console of all time thanks to them. Microsoft too are doing their own thing with Game Pass, it's just too difficult to parse that data next to the theoretical situation where Sony releases day-and-date on PC. We don't know how well it would do because, well, they've never done it.

As I've said, I don't think it's 100% certain, and probably not soon, but there's no way Sony aren't looking at what's happening and contemplating how they're going to approach PC in the future. I think if we start to see the times between console launch and PC port decrease for their marquee titles, it'll be a good indication of where we're heading. It's a long game.

Edit: will probably be offline until at least Sunday now so apologies if you reply and I don't

Last edited:
I get that games take longer now, but man their output of original games this cycle has been so disappointing vs PS4. They really nose-dived and lost some valuable time, people & resources with that internal pivot to GaaS that *really* didn't pay off, nor fit at all with what the majority of their studios are good at making.

Top Bottom