• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony on Japanese console games: "Well have some big announcements at E3"

Status
Not open for further replies.

eerik9000

Please continue announcing games that have barely started development and won't release for another 5 years...

B5BSVqH.png

Not Drake

Honestly there's nothing on my "WANT" list in terms of JP games. Ace Combat is coming, Tekken 7 is out and it's lovely, Kingdom Hearts is probably getting released before I retire. I guess Konami getting it's shit together and making a good use of the massive IP catalog they are sitting on would be cool, although that sounds impossible. Ape Escape could be fun too, but I don't know how viable that is nowadays. I have no real expectations tbf.

Please continue announcing games that have barely started development and won't release for another 5 years...

bzE28em.jpg

MKIL65

There's really no series that I can think of at the moment that I would really want another entry from.

But I'm excited nonetheless.

Well I'm still interested in broadening my gaming horizon...

You said that PS4 was the weakest link in consoles you owned and you plan to buy Scorpion for multi platform, I guess none of PS exclusives make you interested so I don't know how could PS4 current line up please you

Why E3?

Shouldn't it be TGS?

They can do it at both. But many Japanese companies want their games to take off in the west, so having it on stage at E3 will give a big boost to their exposure. If you go back to when Japanese games were really doing well in the west, they were being featured in shows like this. For example, at E3 2001 they had Shinji Mikami on stage to present DMC and Team Silent on stage to present Silent Hill 2. Those are important because DMC was a completely new IP in a new genre and SH wasn't exactly a huge series, yet Sony gave those games and their devs time on stage. Mikami's presentation lasted 10 minutes and Team Silent's lasted 7.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Dream list time!

Ape Escape 3
Legend of Dragoon 2
Mega Man X9

That's all I need to be happy this E3. Not asking for much.

takriel

You said that PS4 was the weakest link in consoles you owned and you plan to buy Scorpion for multi platform, I guess none of PS exclusives make you interested so I don't know how could PS4 current line up please you
Well a lot of these Japanese games hopefully won't be exclusives. FFVII remake for example isn't. Just because they get announced at Sony's presser doesn't mean they are exclusives.

Edit: Or is it exclusive? I remember Boyes saying that it would come first to PS4.

Aggelos

Guys, Dino Crisis 4. It has to happen! After so many years we're hopeful for this. And moreover, empowered by the REengine, if you will. On the other hand, if it doesn't happened, then...
I'm waiting for the revelatory trailer of Biohazard 2 Remake. I am expecting this to drop at the MS Conference
http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Resident_Evil_2_(remake)
Resident Evil 2, known as Biohazard 2 (バイオハザード2 Baiohazādo Tsū?) in Japan, is a game currently in development by Capcom. It is a remake of the 1998 game of the same name. The game was officially announced on August 12, 2015, several weeks after producer Yoshiaki Hirabayashi, under the name "H", asked people following the official Resident Evil Facebook page what their thoughts were on the matter, then relaying his findings to Capcom's R&D Division 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcW6W-xVl-8
I am expecting this to feature a gameplay that is a mixture of fixed camera angles and over the shoulder point of view. A la biohazard 4 castle version and hallucinations version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_aBvWWFERE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q90jSQx0PPI

Super hyped for the unveiling of Dead or Alive 6. I am betting my shirt on that it's coming for PS4Pro and Scorpio.
DOA5 and its 2 major upgrades sold a crapload. It is more than justified to see a 6th sequel coming
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_or_Alive_5
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_or_Alive_5_Ultimate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_or_Alive_5_Last_Round

Unveiling of PsychoBreak 2 running on Unreal Engine 4. I cross my fingers that Shinji Mikami and his associates return on PS4Pro and Scorpio with the sequel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Evil_Within
Mikami where art thou?!?!

Well a lot of these Japanese games hopefully won't be exclusives. FFVII remake for example isn't. Just because they get announced at Sony's presser doesn't mean they are exclusives.

Edit: Or is it exclusive? I remember Boyes saying that it would come first to PS4.

Probably exclusive for 6 months followed by a steam release.

Then what's wrong announcing it early? SE manage development time not Sony.

KiNolin

They can do it at both. But many Japanese companies want their games to take off in the west, so having it on stage at E3 will give a big boost to their exposure. If you go back to when Japanese games were really doing well in the west, they were being featured in shows like this. For example, at E3 2001 they had Shinji Mikami on stage to present DMC and Team Silent on stage to present Silent Hill 2. Those are important because DMC was a completely new IP in a new genre and SH wasn't exactly a huge series, yet Sony gave those games and their devs time on stage. Mikami's presentation lasted 10 minutes and Team Silent's lasted 7.

I love how all the games Layden mentioned (except Resident Evil 7) were all pushed to PSX last year, but not at all shown during their E3 conference. I was hoping that the success of these titles this year would finally give such games a spotlight at E3 again and now it really seems to be happening.

Why E3?

Shouldn't it be TGS?

Why not both? E3 is a suitable platform for big Japanese games, and then they can have another showing in a few months at TGS.

If Bloodborne 2 or a new From game is there it's probably a lock for next year as they're like clockwork. If Devil May Cry 5 is there Itsuno hasn't released a game in 5 years (or 4 years if you count Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen) so whatever he's working on should be good to release pretty soon. If Japan Studio have anything new there it might be good for a 2018 release as they're a large studio.

Dream list time!

Ape Escape 3
Legend of Dragoon 2
Mega Man X9

That's all I need to be happy this E3. Not asking for much.

Ape Escape reboot
Dark Cloud 3
Alundra 2
Binary Domain 2
Japan Studio new AAA massive JRPG

I think these are reasonable expectations.

takriel

Then what's wrong announcing it early? SE manage development time not Sony.

If Bloodborne 2 or a new From game is there it's probably a lock for next year as they're like clockwork. If Devil May Cry 5 is there Itsuno hasn't released a game in 5 years (or 4 years if you count Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen) so whatever he's working on should be good to release pretty soon. If Japan Studio have anything new there it might be good for a 2018 release as they're a large studio.

Yeah my beef is mainly with Square Enix, so it's not fair for me to generalize to all Japanese developers.

I love how all the games Layden mentioned (except Resident Evil 7) were all pushed to PSX last year, but not at all shown during their E3 conference. I was hoping that the success of these titles this year would finally give such games a spotlight at E3 again and now it really seems to be happening.

I couldn't agree more. I've been hoping that Sony would give Japanese studios a bigger presence at their E3 conference this gen. And hopefully it'll extend into their commercials as well. They sometimes make commercials that highlight 3-4 games. While they'll feature their own games in it (like GT Sport), it'd be nice to see some third party Japanese games in there as well.

But appealing to West is sometimes conflicting with appealing to Japanese tastes.

I definitely understand where you're coming from, but I don't necessarily think it's as big of an issue this generation as it was last gen. A lot of Japanese devs last gen seemingly got the wrong idea and thought they needed to change how their games worked in order to appeal to the west. And that ended up backfiring. The beginning of this year seems to really highlight that they're really getting back into their groove.

Would have never crossed my mine before this, but one way this year's Sony E3 could top last year's for me would be if Sony went with a large portion of the show with Japanese games. Especially after seeing how Super well received all the Japanese games for 2017 have been.

And they can start by getting their orchestra to play "Last Surprise" as their opening...

A Mega Man Legends reboot that contains all the content of 1 and 2, as well as properly wraps up the story, would be a big announcement in my book. And with that, my expectations have been set. Your move, Japan.

convo

Why E3?

Shouldn't it be TGS?

Yeah right, why was Zelda even at E3 before? All Japenese developers need to shut up and stay in their country! What a bunch of crap people are spouting.
We have established that certain japanese games do much better in the west. The support of western Disgaea fans have helped nippon-ichi to stay alive at all. Whatever From wants to do next will get a huge reaction or are people still insisting they are the niche of niche still?

Renekton

These games will probably end up selling more in the west than in Japan itself.
Yeah I'm wondering they end up being Western-focused games that just happen to be developed by Japanese devs.

We have established that certain japanese games do much better in the west. The support of western Disgaea fans have helped nippon-ichi to stay alive at all. Whatever From wants to do next will get a huge reaction or are people still insisting they are the niche of niche still?
I mean yeah, Western market saved some of them, but I'm thinking in terms of reigniting the home market.

(I could be way out of my depth regarding the country's gaming tastes)

Rojiraan

I believe in new big budget Japan games (a open-world "Boku no Natsuyasumi"-like... Damn), I believe in the coming back of good old IP (yes, Ape Escape), and I also believe in this....

Or... Maybe "dreaming" should be a better term for this...

Rmagnus

Banned
Yeah I'm wondering they end up being Western-focused games that just happen to be developed by Japanese devs.

I mean yeah, Western market saved some of them, but I'm thinking in terms of reigniting the home market.

(I could be way out of my depth regarding the country's gaming tastes)

Please no... Each time they tried them I hate the games they made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom