• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony : Paris Games Week press conference dated

Fat4all

Banned
Eh, Paris Games Week sounds like the worst place possible for a gaming press conference.

Why's that? Conferences are usually separate from the actual shows anyways, they're just more regional.

This will just be a Sony Press Event wearing a beret.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This childish mentality of thinking that Sony has to counter Halo 5, is quite hilarious to me. In Halo terms, I think 343i's Halo 5 is going to be one of the most tepid halo releases in quite some time.
Halo fans should simply rejoice at the new game, this isn't a kindergarten playground where Sony is scheduling their events just to counter a game release on a competing platform just for bragging rights and forum wars.

It's a coincidence. Both companies want gaming to do well.

Ape

Banned
I'll be looking forward to next years conference during the gears 4 launch. They should move it. Stick to gamescom.

Skux

Love that we're getting a lot more streamed conferences these days. It's a great way to engage the community around an event. Plus, the Twitch chat will be bonkers.

This childish mentality of thinking that Sony has to counter Halo 5, is quite hilarious to me. In Halo terms, I think 343i's Halo 5 is going to be one of the most tepid halo releases in quite some time.
Halo fans should simply rejoice at the new game, this isn't a kindergarten playground where Sony is scheduling their events just to counter a game release on a competing platform just for bragging rights and forum wars.

This really isnt about forum wars etc., its about what makes sense business wise.

The holiday period is important to both companies, and no doubt Halo will be the game that Microsoft are going to promote the most so if Sony can time a theoretical price drop to coincide with the Halo release date to steal some of the mindshare and news space then it can only work out well for them.

bombshell

Eh, Paris Games Week sounds like the worst place possible for a gaming press conference.

Why? Last year it was attended by almost as many people as Gamescom. It's bigger than most people think and it will only become bigger with the attention Sony is bringing to it.

Sony: we won't be doing a Gamescom presentation because GC and E3 are 5 weeks apart which is too short.
PGW -> PSX = 5 weeks? Okay.

PSX is first and foremost a big fanfest, even if there is a conference there I dont feel they are forced to keep several megatons for this event. The way I see it, PSX is just a bonus. The games announced there last year were interesting and cute and I liked the conference but the only big news was Street Fighter V if I recall correctly.

---

As for the Halo 5 counter thing, I don't understand. This conference is Paris Games Week related, and Paris Games Week begin October 28. The fact that Halo 5 is out the same week is called a coincidence : |

At Jack Thompson's house would be a worse place.

After Gamescom where would be better than Paris Games Week to have a conference in Europe? There will already be games media attending, last year 272,000 gamers attended.

Nugg

Hmm, bad idea to have it on halo's day, halo will be all over the news.
All over the news, yes

BREAKING: Once again, Halo is a broken unfinished mess and no one can play multiplayer! In other news, Sony is having a press conference.

(this is a joke of course, please don't kill me Halo fans)

GnawtyDog

Banned
Hmm, bad idea to have it on halo's day, halo will be all over the news.

One game will not overshadow a slew of announcements. By cheer number of articles and stream coverage alone it's not possible and the media will eat it up cause #1 it's their job to report and #2, they like clicks.

I would wager it will keep review effects from "getting out of control per say" - if it ends up reviewing well. It's all about flooding the airwaves with your message.

Tratorn

I think the point is that Halo will release on the 7th so you would likely get all the news about its sales the following day but if Sony come out with a big price drop that would also get featured heavily on the news the following day.

Think of it like this, a big budget AAA game selling well is news but not as big of a story as the biggest selling console of the generation getting its first official price drop, especially if its a big one.

Nah, I really doubt that. As others have said, it's just coincidence since it's just the day before PGW.

stryke

Looks like I'll miss it, most likely along with a lot of other people. I'll be playing halo 5 on Xbox One, so maybe this is an indication that nothing important will be at the event.

It's cute to see you pretending to care so much about Sony's press conferences.

Fat4all

Banned
I mean, of course it's a coincidence but that doesn't mean they won't use the opportunity to steal some limelight. It turns a big news day for Microsoft into a big day for Sony and Microsoft.

Now Nintendo has to have a Direct on that day detailing the NX.

Exactly, no need to see console war everywhere. Coincidence and nothing more.

Btw, is MS on Paris too, like Sony at Gamescom, not having conference but strong presence on show floor?

Surely dropping the price on the day of the conference/Halo release day wouldn't make sense. If it's to entice people away from Halo, surely they'd need to do it before the game comes out so people haven't, you know, already bought the game.

Alo0oy

Banned
This really isnt about forum wars etc., its about what makes sense business wise.

The holiday period is important to both companies, and no doubt Halo will be the game that Microsoft are going to promote the most so if Sony can time a theoretical price drop to coincide with the Halo release date to steal some of the mindshare and news space then it can only work out well for them.

Business-wise? Announcing a price drop after Halo 5 releases is the dumbest price drop in history, if Sony are committed to a price drop, announcing it Mid-september for an early October price drop bundled with Uncharted would be 100 times more effective. Dropping the price after 400k-500k people already bought an Xbox for that game is not just stupidity, it's incompetence.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I don't think Halo 5 will have any bearing on this conference whatsoever. I;m just curious as to whether they have enough announcements etc to cover this and PSX, but I suppose they have a lot of studios with unannounced games.

Between the 2 I'm hoping for GT7, GoW4, Quantic Dream's new game and Bend's new game.

stryke

Your description of business sounds like childishness to me. If you want to take the wind out of Halo sales you announce something before, not at the point when most people have already decided.

GnawtyDog

Banned
It's cute to see you pretending to care so much about Sony's press conferences.

lol...

It's definitely a very convenient coincidence...let the conspiracy theory run its course :)

29 - 03 - 2015 - Halo 5 release date announced.
05 - 05 - 2015 - Sony announces it's not having a Gamescom conference. It's holding the conference at Paris Games Week instead --- cause E3 and Gamescom schedule are too close to each other.
-----------------------------------

On topic. The show has so much potential this year to be much better than last year....and last year the show was so fresh.

New footage from Horizon
Quantic Dreams New IP.
Wild footage.
AlienNation footage and release date.
Rime footage and release date.
Dreams footage and info.
Uncharted 4 MP trailer and BETA date announcement?
New AA/AAA IP surprise with an European studio.
Quality indies.
Price drop?
PS2/PS1 Backwards Compatibility?
Gran Turismo 7 teaser is a definite possibility.

I am sure I'm forgetting updates on some things shown last year there.

bombshell

I don't think Halo 5 will have any bearing on this conference whatsoever. I;m just curious as to whether they have enough announcements etc to cover this and PSX, but I suppose they have a lot of studios with unannounced games.

Between the 2 I'm hoping for GT7, GoW4, Quantic Dream's new game and Bend's new game.

It's the same number of conferences as last year and that seemed to go well with regards to announcements at each show.

Alx

It seems some people are under the impression Paris Games Week is a substandard event , this year they expect 300,000 to attend.

Well it's not really in the same category as E3 or even Gamescom. Publishers never hosted conferences there, nor did major announcements. It was more an opportunity for French consumers to preview games releasing soon.
The Sony conference is a sign that things are evolving, but until now you wouldn't expect much from PGW except the usual stampede of CoD players.

Shredderi

I wonder what their internal strategy is for the rest of the year in regards to their events. I mean Paris event so close to PSX event in december. I don't believe they have a fuckload of things to show yet be it new games or new showcases of revealed games. So either I'm wrong and they have a lot of new gameplay vids and trailers for both shows or they're gonna be spread incredibly thin. Interesting.

Predictions...

TGS

The Last Guardian
Gravity Rush 2
Level 5's PS4 game (Ni no Kuni 2)
Persona 5
Dragon Quest XI
Danganronpa 3

PGW

Dreams
Quantic Dream's new game
Rime
WiLD

PSX

Gran Turismo 7
God of War 4
FFVII-Remake
More Double Fine collaborations

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It's the same number of conferences as last year and that seemed to go well with regards to announcements at each show.

I don't recall their Gamescom conference being all that last year? Some Bloodborne footage and Until Dawn/Tearaway announcements were the biggest things IIRC.

I want a Rime release date more than anything outta this.

sam777

I wonder what their internal strategy is for the rest of the year in regards to their events. I mean Paris event so close to PSX event in december. I don't believe they have a fuckload of things to show yet be it new games or new showcases of revealed games. So either I'm wrong and they have a lot of new gameplay vids and trailers for both shows or they're gonna be spread incredibly thin. Interesting.

That is the reason they didn't have a conference at Gamescom as they felt it was to close to E3 but now they have two conferences within 5/6 weeks or so.

Predictions...

TGS

The Last Guardian
Gravity Rush 2
Level 5's PS4 game (Ni no Kuni 2)
Persona 5
Dragon Quest XI
Danganronpa 3

PGW

Dreams
Quantic Dream's new game
Rime
WiLD

PSX

Gran Turismo 7
God of War 4
FFVII-Remake
More Double Fine collaborations

I'll be pretty happy even if only half of those games actually show up by the end of the year. I do, however, want a new Quantic Dream game reveal though. Enjoyed Heavy Rain and Beyond quite a bit. Oh, and, Rime. I practically bought my PS4 for that game, Bloodborne, and Uncharted 4.

Top Bottom