• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony president: PSN has 118M MAUs, half are on ps4

rm082e

Do we have any reason to think the split is different for Xbox? If not, then Xbox probably has 56 million console MAUs?

rm082e

Hmm, 59 million PS5's, 118 million PS4's, assuming most PS5 owners had PS4's and he's shocked half of people aren't on current gen?

The numbers do add up you know

Fucking brainiac Totilo

Honestly, that 50/50 split is more than I would have guessed. I would have figured fewer PS4s were still in regular use even if those players did not upgrade to PS5 yet. Given the top games are all cross-gen, it makes sense.

midnightAI

Honestly, that 50/50 split is more than I would have guessed. I would have figured fewer PS4s were still in regular use even if those players did not upgrade to PS5 yet. Given the top games are all cross-gen, it makes sense.
Yeh, it's actually quite impressive really, if they can hold that so that as more people move over to PS5 they stay on PS4 until they do that and be relatively consistent with the 118 million throughout the gen it will be even more impressive.

This is what they meant about engagement that people twisted into GAAS somehow. It's not just engagement as people will still keep buying games for PS4 and PS5 while the transition between gens happens.

Also, to be fair, several households like mine may still have both PS4 and PS5, the PS5 is in the living room and my son has the PS4 in his bedroom so both get played each month.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yeh, it's actually quite impressive really, if they can hold that so that as more people move over to PS5 they stay on PS4 until they do that and be relatively consistent with the 118 million throughout the gen it will be even more impressive.

This is what they meant about engagement that people twisted into GAAS somehow.

People going from ps4 —-> ps5 wouldn’t increase their MAU numbers. Probably why they are so keen to get people logging into PSN on steam.

Pretty impressive that people are still that engaged with their PS4s for Sony to retain those customers is really good I don't expect cross-gen to go away when PS6 arrives it'll probably last all generation we've got to the point with technology that graphics is good enough for a lot of people.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
People going from ps4 —-> ps5 wouldn’t increase their MAU numbers. Probably why they are so keen to get people logging into PSN on steam.
That's really it. Also why they're currently not too bothered by those countries they're not selling the game in. They're not contributing much - if any - to their PSN bottom line at the moment.

And although MAU won't go up with players upgrading to PS4, each upgrade is a currently) $500 purchase so they're probably somewhat looking forward to when that happens.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
That's actually crazy high. So they're basically equal with steam?

Steam hasn’t given MAU numbers since 2021 when they had 132M

84994_2_steam-had-more-monthly-active-users-in-2021-than-playstation.png

But they have since broke their records for daily active users a few times so it’s probably significantly higher now

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

dottme

I don’t think I’m that casual and I’m still on PS4. I’m sorry, but I have a big enough backlog and nothing I really want to make me jump to PS5.
Also, PS4 game are getting big discount quite often now.

XXL

I'm surprised people are surprised, Playstation is worldwide, not just NA, JP and EU.

Also, GTA VI is going to be massive for PS5 and when Xbox abandons hardware those users are primarily going to go to PlayStation and Steam, so expect them both to get an injection of users sooner than later.

Sounds like crossgen did not need to end already, and a PS4 Portable which is on par with Steamdeck etc. might still be something that could be sold.
Or is half still on last gen an average delay for any transition or at least following the trend? NES to SNES PS1->2 2->3 etc?

It also means the pool for Pro enthusiasts is at best half of the "upper" half. I guess there is some wiggle room for price cuts, but currently dominating against Xbox might not really spark much need to rely on game sales to get back eventual loses by hw sales if those who pay what they ask, do it anyway and chose them over the weak competition.

Can't really say that it's surprising, 5 / 6 top most played games last month are on PS4, where most people probably play them.

Yep I've been saying this for a while now and this trend will continue from here on out when it comes to consoles. Most people will probably wait for massive discounts on Ps5 or just for their PS4 to break in general.

Killjoy-NL

Why would the casuals upgrade? There is like only a handful currentgen exclusive games, and even those aren’t some “omg must play immediately” games. This is what neverending crossgen development results in.
People also seem to suffer from collective amnesia regarding the covid pandemic, as well as being oblivious to our current shitty economies.

This is what neverending crossgen development results in.

Yea but it doesn't really matter these days. Consoles will become more and more like PCs when it comes to this I suspect. I don't think Sony cares if you're on PS4 playing games or Ps5 as long as you're in their ecosystem. Now if they notice Ps4 users leaving their ecosystem and not transitioning to PS5 they will probably start to worry.

Matt_Fox

PS5 Pro around Xmas time will see a good number of regular PS5's hit Ebay and the second hand market, probably also a price cut of the regular PS5 at the same time... convert some of those less motivated or less affluent PS4 owners to upgrade.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yeah, was talking about this recently when some were suggesting ppl went PC or left gaming since PS5 fell behind PS4. Almost trying to compare it to the Wii to Wii U debacle...

Its PS4 ppl not moving to PS5.

Crossgen forever.
Some ppl looked at recent quotes and assumed it was about live service, but it was this.

Expect another longer cross gen period for PS5 to PS6. PS5 being the base line is better tho.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You reap what you sow. You make cross gen stuff you train the people to skip generations. You put stuff on gamepass you train the people to not buy games. You make F2P stuff, you train people not to buy games.

Sony also announced that they are now focusing on MAUs instead of sales. Where have we heard that before? I think its a slippery slope that will come back to bite them. Take the fucking loss on consoles and get these fuckers to buy the new console. You are already posting record profits every year. Im sure you can take the hit. Slim needs to be $299 asap and they need to stop porting games to PS4.

This whole MAU nonsense is basically complacency in disguise. no, you are in the business of selling consoles. You HAVE to sell more consoles. Especially now when Nintendo is literally refusing to release a console 7 years after launch of switch and MS all but conceding the market to Sony. Playstation should be selling more than ever and now they are behind PS4's sales, albeit by just half a million, but their projections for next year would set it back another million. Why? There is no switch 2 to fear and no xbox to fear for the remainder of the year. You should be cleaning up.

Drop PS5 slim to $299 and Sell the Pro to $599-699. They need those people to buy the new hardware. It is literally their business. Without it, the people would eventually stop upgrading and the sales of their first party titles would drop and it will have a knock on effect elsewhere.

ByWatterson

The real question is how many MAUs did Sony have at this time in 2017? I'd be absolutely floored if it was 118 million or higher.

EDIT: Just saw the graphic above. They would have been in the 60-70 range?

bc5d7147-acfb-463e-9f9b-563de64b6ce1_text.gif

Last edited:

iHaunter

I'm expecting them to time PS5 Pro and PS5 Price Drops with the release of several giant game windows like GTA 6 or Sony First party exclusives. I'm sure many will trade in and upgrade.

Top Bottom