• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica apparently out-doing CGI with their new game.

Xenon

Maybe if it's one guy in a single room. The problem with CGI level characters is you have to build an equally impressive world around them. There is just not enough power in this generation of consoles to pull that off.

DieH@rd

Banned
Maybe if it's one guy in a single room. The problem with CGI level characters is you have to build an equally impressive world around them. There is just not enough power in this generation of consoles to pull that off.

It can be done. Beyond Two Souls managed many time to blow me away with the awesome look of the environments that can be nicely framed and hidden by camera effects [dof, blur, lens flares]. And games do not have to have "ultra realistic" art style to look highly convincing and appealing. U4 is stylized, but it still looks crazy impressive.

Dark Sorcerer demo already proves that devs can throw a lot of resources on screen. Environment and each character had around 1 million polygons, and engine can easily support lots of lights, particles and even 1 frame switch to a different environment. And that was made as a tech demo long before PS4 was out.
image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0007.jpg

WarpathDC

Maybe I'm just insane but I never considered GoW3 to be a looker except for the impressive scale of the boss fights. Like, people keep posting these close ups of Kratos and I just think "huh? UC games looked way better than that".

GOW3 was graphically amazing for a ps3 game.

God of War 4 'bout to melt faces.
That's what I like to hear.

Gimme dat Kratos, SSM. I remember putting God of War 3 in, and watching that opening scene, then the camera pulls behind Kratos and he's just standing there for like 3 minutes... then I realized, oh right, I'M controlling Kratos right now!

GIVE IT TO ME SSM.

I find this thread silly for a whole number of reasons. Since when is it cool to just allow these silly hype comments to just fester around here?

People need something to get hyped about I suppose. There is no info from SSM and they are easily one of the most accomplished technical studies out there. This is more a thread where people exchange ideal speculation, which is fine. I don't believe any game this gen will look as good as that facial model to be honest. Maybe in a QD game...Beyond easily had the best character model last gen.

DieH@rd

Banned
David Cage's team could probably pull this off.

I don't know... This kind of animation from the OP is probably done with small cameras that were mounted on actor heads, with control points being that infrared-visible liquid and not fixed dots [MOVA system for films, new Tomb Raider is using it]. Even more impressive, OP video had great subsurface materials, movement of tissue below the skin, and small "fuzzy" hairs all over the face. Impressive stuff.

Quantic Dream is sticking to the same setup like Beyond [lots of cameras around the big room, none on the actors], just with more 4K cameras that allow better tracking. It will look better [every QD tech demo was noticeably surpassed by next game], but I'm not expecting miracles.

Servbot24

Banned

Even if it were technically possible, the manpower and money to accomplish something like that would be absolutely unreal.

If the new game Barlog's working on is God of War 4 and if it's using the same linear design blueprint with those fixed camera-angles then I can't even imagine how mind-blowingly incredible it's going to look. I wouldn't be surprised if it does rival CG in motion.

I don't know... This kind of animation from the OP is probably done with small cameras that were mounted on actor heads, with control points being that infrared-visible liquid and not fixed dots [MOVA system for films, new Tomb Raider is using it]. Even more impressive, OP video had great subsurface materials, movement of tissue below the skin, and small "fuzzy" hairs all over the face. Impressive stuff.

Quantic Dream is sticking to the same setup like Beyond [lots of cameras around the big room, none on the actors], just with more 4K cameras that allow better tracking. It will look better [every QD tech demo was noticeably surpassed by next game], but I'm not expecting miracles.

No scans, motion capture or photos were used says in the description.

Teremap

Banned
So you think "it needs moar hardware to run" = better?
No, but I do know claiming to surpass hours-per-frame rendered CG without even real-time path-tracing is astonishingly wishful thinking. You can make up for a lot with good art direction (Guilty Gear Xrd is proof enough), but that alone is only half of the equation.

Using this logic, you could make the claim that they surpassed CGI during the previous generation. I'm sure you can see how dumb that claim would be.

No, but I do know claiming to surpass hours-per-frame rendered CG without even real-time path-tracing is astonishingly wishful thinking. You can make up for a lot with good art direction (Guilty Gear Xrd is proof enough), but that alone is only half of the equation.

Using this logic, you could make the claim that they surpassed CGI during the previous generation. I'm sure you can see how dumb that claim would be.

You're putting words in my mouth. Merely having an actual background while keeping the model itself at UC4/TDS levels would make it look better to a lot of people, even if the actual GPU work put into it is a hundredth of the necessary to render that video.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I heard someone in this thread say GOW3 "wasn't impressive"

ibfKB6jpviDRhO.gif

U serious?

I swear, even today 5 years later, the first hour of GOW3 looks like black magic

I heard someone in this thread say GOW3 "wasn't impressive"

ibfKB6jpviDRhO.gif

U serious?

I swear, even today 5 years later, the first hour of GOW3 looks like black magic

Not that I agree with God of War 3 being unimpressive, it has some great looking moments.

But a small, crappy quality gif in which the graphics look not very good is not going to sway anyone.

Teremap

Banned
You're putting words in my mouth. Merely having an actual background while keeping the model itself at UC4/TDS levels would make it look better to a lot of people, even if the actual GPU work put into it is a hundredth of the necessary to render that video.
Yes, sure, but then we have a tech demo and not a video game, which is what that tweet was alluding to in the first place (or at least, I would hope it was, otherwise it's an even more dumb comment).

The more recent ATI and Nvidia tech demos still have character models untouched by current-generation games. That's nice and all, but it doesn't translate to video games running on cheap fixed hardware whatsoever.

I suppose the more pertinent point is, what is even the point of making such a comment to begin with?

KidJr

Each to their own I guess about the whole God of War franchise... Is it that people dont want Kratos or they're done with the WHOLE idea of God of War? I mean there are so many places you could take this game (Nordic, Egyptian etc.)

But anywho... his statement is to generalist to read to much into it... he's certainly not talking real time, anyone who thinks this could be done in real time or in game need to stop, immediately, it took 800 hours to render the scene. However, thats I'm assuming because he/she was using an insanely high poly model and I personally believe you dont always need to chuck polygons at the problem, you can achieve graphics that perhaps look as good but never that fidelity.

But I've been proven wrong many a time... and man that Sourcer demo really does blow me away every time I see it so who knows man.

Inuhanyou

The scale of GOW3 is unmatched, but GOWA undeniably has more advanced graphics i guess in terms of shaders, lighting, effects and whatnot

ibyw7zamg68sk1hru4s.gif

omonimo

Banned
Not sure why people hate so much Kratos. If the game will be wonderful, who cares? Never heard anything about Mario or Nintendo characters.

The scale of GOW3 is unmatched, but GOWA undeniably has more advanced graphics i guess in terms of shaders, lighting, effects and whatnot

ibyw7zamg68sk1hru4s.gif

Well of course. One, they were more familiar with the PS3 architecture, and two, the framerate was halved. IMO it ended up less visually pleasing overall, even though it had superior art direction to GOW III.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dark Sorcerer demo already proves that devs can throw a lot of resources on screen. Environment and each character had around 1 million polygons, and engine can easily support lots of lights, particles and even 1 frame switch to a different environment.

Modern CG scenes are well beyond these numbers and have been for a long while now. Animation rigs alone are much more complicated in VFX shots.

DieH@rd

Banned
Modern CG scenes are well beyond these numbers and have been for a long while now. Animation rigs alone are much more complicated in VFX shots.

Yes, modern [expensive] CGI is way more populated with every kind of effect, asset density, and creators of such cinematics don't need to fake anything. They can brute force it.

That still does not stop realtime visuals Order 1886 to look better than many CGIs that we saw in the past decade.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yes, modern [expensive] CGI is way more populated with every kind of effect, asset density, and creators of such cinematics don't need to fake anything. They can brute force it.

That still does not stop realtime visuals Order 1886 to look better than many CGIs that we saw in the past decade.

I'm speaking within the last decade when I talk about modern CG. Stuff like Davy Jones was 8 years ago. And "brute force" it is a bit of a crude/lazy way of describing it, as there's a lot of optimization that's still being researched and done to get render times down, especially for shaders and simulation, and they STILL take a long long time.

BibiMaghoo

Not sure why people hate so much Kratos. If the game will be wonderful, who cares? Never heard anything about Mario or Nintendo characters.

I don't think Mario or Nintendo characters going around killing everything in sight in a rage induced slaughter. I've certainly never heard of Link banging a god with QTE's, or killing a non-enemy in a pretty hideous manner, just to open a gate.

I have certainly never heard of a Pikmin, ripping off a persons head with their hands and using it as a torch either.

Perhaps I have not played the right Nintendo games.

leadbelly

Banned
I feel like all the games with these pretty graphics are missing something else in them...I don't want to be blinded by glorious graphics anymore

Not all games need super amazing AI or incredible freedom. Variety is the spice of life.

I thought the movie 'Gravity' was missing something else, but it didn't stop me being amazed by the quality of the CGI. For me. watching Gravity was more of a fair ground ride, than a movie.

I recognise its shortcomings, but appreciate it for what it is.

Inuhanyou

Well of course. One, they were more familiar with the PS3 architecture, and two, the framerate was halved. IMO it ended up less visually pleasing overall, even though it had superior art direction to GOW III.

GOW3's framerate was 40 to 45fps at all times, it was not halved for GOWA

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
So you say SSM is one of the best devs, yet you disregard their most recent game. Ok then.
No. I just don't think of it as a sequel, more of an iterative spin-off. Still a good game, But not on the level of the main entries. MultIplayer was a disastrous move.

No. I just don't think of it as a sequel, more of an iterative spin-off. Still a good game, But not on the level of the main entries. MultIplayer was a disastrous move.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude. I agree with the multiplayer part. I really feel if they would have focused only on the SP they could have made the best GOW campaign yet.

GOW3's framerate was 40 to 45fps at all times, it was not halved for GOWA

I didn't know the exact number, but it was a very noticeable difference in performance imo.

Top Bottom