• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony was nervous about Horizon's female protagonist, did lots of focus testing

Jachaos

Fuck Yoshida and rock on Guerilla Games. Can't wait for this.

Well if anything I feel Yoshida has given more freedom on that subject to WWS. I think he's just worried sometimes because of sales numbers and that's his job but it seems he leaves some freedom on decision to the studios. We've had this story, we've had Naughty Dog saying they were gonna keep Ellie on the front of The Last of Us' box, I know I've seen a fair amount of WWS games that have had female playable characters like InFamous First Light and Gravity Rush.

Examples outside of Tomb Raider and Mirror's Edge? Remember Me was not a AAA title and games allow you to play as or male or female do not count either. Pretty small list.

This E3's been fine for that though. A decent list.

What I get from this is that old Japanese men are holding back the industry.

No, Capcom didn't turn down Remember Me because of a female character unlike other publishers, Square-Enix had a good amount of female characters to their conference including being hte publishers of Tomb Raider, Nintendo employs a lot of females, I see more female names in the JP part of these credits than the rest of the credits combined:
CCFd3CPUIAADrCz.jpg:large
And this statement in general is simply untrue.

Mman235

"Looking at our press conference and other's press conferences, many teams our doing it now," he said. "Like there is a new lead in Assassin's Creed, and Mirror's Edge is back. I feel great that there is more diversity in the kind of worlds and kind of characters that we are making as an industry."
And, Yoshida said, he hopes that games with more female leads can help broaden the demographic of gamers.
"As an industry, I think we should continue to make efforts to have more females in studios on the development side and to get different perspectives," he said. "Games have become more and more popular in terms of who plays, especially in terms of mobile. We have a chance to further increase the reach, from a PlayStation standpoint, to a bigger more diverse audience.
"In order for us to do that, the games we create have to appeal to a broader audience."

This part is encouraging at least.

Yup. Dishonored doesn't interest me, but it was pretty neat seeing her character.

Ubisoft also stuck out to me. One trailer they had Jacob or w/e his name is, and the other trailer they showed had his sister. But...the huge difference was that the trailer with jacob, the focus was just on him. Whilst the trailer with his sister was Jacob narrating about her, instead of you know..having her talk about herself. So in a backhanded way it all revolved around Jacob.

Ubisoft has a problem in that regard.

There was some survey they sent out recently asking people what they wanted to know more about. There was a line for Jacob that described his character. There was also a line for Evie, which described her as "Jacob's sister".

Marketing has no control over that though.

No, but anyone in marketing who thinks they can't market a product that is immediately differentiated from numerous other similar titles solely by virtue that it has a lead character visibly different to many other similar products is - frankly - shit at their job.

Gamespawn

I think it's a combination of things. GG is ongoing and most games with female protagonists they've published have performed either average or below average. Sonys been tightening their wallets the last few years so I understand the hesitation by HQ. Glad they didn't change the original vision.

meppi

I'm very glad they went with her as she certainly was one of the highlights of E3 for me.
Very excited about the game and the "unusual" choice really gels with me.

Jachaos

It wasn't a totally serious statement.

It isn't like Japanese companies have a lot of power in the video game industry any more, lol.

Let's first precise home console industry because if we're talking mobile gaming and handheld gaming worldwide then this is quite the opposite.

So, home console industry. It'd be silly to compare to 20 years ago but there's been quite a few titles on display this E3.

The Last Guardian, Shenmue III, Final Fantasy VII R, Final Fantasy XV, Persona 5, Kingdom Heart III, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Zelda Triforce Heroes, Street Fighter V, Metal Gear Solid V, Super Mario Maker, Dark Souls III, Transformers: Devastation, Scalebound, Star Fox Zero, Yoshi’s Wooly World, Fire Emblem Fates, #FE, Star Ocean 5, Nier 2, ReCore, Project Setsuna...

Not to mention Bloodstained just beat the Kickstarter funding record, Shenmue III seems on its way to beat it again and Bloodborne is one of the biggest contenders for game of the year so far while Splatoon is my personal GOTY. So I hope this wasn't a serious statement either. They're still present in home console gaming, not as big as the heights of Capcom, Konami, Sega but they've gone for more lucrative ventures in mobile (which is still part of the video game industry) so...

Last year was disappointing as far as female characters go but this year's E3 has had trends that respond to your claims in a positive way for us players looking for variety in genre, characters, developers and art styles.

Angry Fork

I think lots of people on gaf underestimate how many casual male gamers are not interested in playing as a woman and want to play as a guy. Not saying that's right but if a company wants to sell 4 mil+ on a game that's why they sweat over things like a female protagonist.

Amir0x

Banned
Sorry but I still believe that. A game's success is not dependant on the gender of its protagonist. There have been great selling games that star woman, and flops that star men. There are a ton of more important factors that go into a game succeeding that stuff like this is ultimately just noise.

There's been tons of studies done on it in various industries. The general result is that media with female leads/emphasis do sell less on average.

The problematic thing is that there is comparatively so few pieces of media with dominant female roles, even in children's books, that it becomes a echoing effect. Because female leads are comparatively less tested, they tend not to get the marketing budgets of media with male leads.

In terms of pure sales numbers, in the first three months of availability, games with only a male hero sold around 25 percent better than games with an optional female hero. Games with exclusively male heroes sold around 75 percent better than games with only female heroes.

By looking at these trends two things become clear: games that give you a choice of gender are, on average, reviewed slightly better than games with male-only heroes, but the games that sell very well are almost all led by male heroes. If you’re funding a large-budget game and you see these numbers, you see that you lose sales by adding the capability to choose a female hero, and you lose significant sales by releasing a game with a female hero.

...there’s something telling about those games’ marketing budgets. Zatkin found that female-led games received roughly 40 percent of the marketing budget as male-led games.

So then the question becomes... are games with female leads reviewing more poorly and selling more poorly because the games don't receive on average as high a budget for polish and for marketing purposes? Is that the root cause, or is there something fundamental at play?

Because studies have been done on the interplay between men and how they relate to female characters and vice versa. And these studies mostly do suggest that there is something that makes men especially have huge gender bias toward roles that are female. They are more likely to review such films/books/games poorly, more likely to find criticisms of characters that would never apply to men (Skylar in Breaking Bad is a perfect example) and more likely to avoid them altogether.

I'd like to know one thing. Let's take a game like Destiny. Online game where you can choose your gender. How many percent are female compared to total created characters.

Also Sony's recent games with female leads didn't do so well either. Beyond Two Souls had bloody Ellen Page and we still don't know how well it sold, at least to my knowledge.
Its around 2 million atm, which isnt half bad considering the budget was near identical to Heavy Rains, which made a lot of profit at 3 million sales and broke even before 2 million.

Jachaos

There's been tons of studies done on it in various industries. The general result is that media with female leads/emphasis do sell less on average.

The problematic thing is that there is comparatively so few pieces of media with dominant female roles, even in children's books, that it becomes a echoing effect. Because female leads are comparatively less tested, they tend not to get the marketing budgets of media with male leads.

So then the question becomes... are games with female leads reviewing more poorly and selling more poorly because the games don't receive on average as high a budget for polish and for marketing purposes? Is that the root cause, or is there something fundamental at play?

Because studies have been done on the interplay between men and how they relate to female characters and vice versa. And these studies mostly do suggest that there is something that makes men especially have huge gender bias toward roles that are female. They are more likely to review such films/books/games poorly, more likely to find criticisms of characters that would never apply to men (Skylar in Breaking Bad is a perfect example) and more likely to avoid them altogether.

Interesting points. The lack of budget received may have to do with the perceived risk for what AAA games are considered to be in gameplay genre, tropes and targeted players (ie generally shooters with a male soldier targeting male teenagers and young adults). Those types of games get the most funding and the more risky ones don't get marketed as much. I don't think it's warranted though. We've seen games with female characters sell well. Thankfully the reception to Horizon should reassure Sony they can take the risk to pump as much marketing money as they would in Uncharted and prove it's been a misconception from the start. While they may lose some sales from the 10% (or so) male teens that said they wouldn't play a game starring a female character, they might bring in some new female players by advertising it during Hunger Games or something and make up for it. Added diversity to the gaming landscape would help open the industry beyond the traditional demographics the majority of the budget went to.

Wavebossa

I find nothing wrong with this, they are a company that needs to make money. Every game is a risk, they wanted to make sure what they were producing would be something that consumers wanted.

The test came back as "NO FEMALE LEADS" then my issue would be with the community tested, not with Sony.

But... as someone who has played WoW for almost a decade now... I don't know anyone who doesn't have at least female alt lol
I know its the not the same but still

Cidd

I'm glad they went with a female protagonist I'm so tired of mid 30s ex military white dude with nothing to lose.

Aloy is also one of the best designed character I've seen in a while.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
You'd think Sony would be more progressive than that. Especially given the number of games last gen with female leads.

Perfect Dark
Heavenly Sword
Tomb Raider
Beyond
Remember Me
Mirrors Edge

I mean, Sony funded 2 of those and WERE funding Remember Me at one point.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Worries which were unfounded. She seems like a great character. The software market for female leads could use more competition.

Jachaos

I'd like to know one thing. Let's take a game like Destiny. Online game where you can choose your gender. How many percent are female compared to total created characters.

And then I'd like to know the difference between that and Splatoon's ratio. I see female characters everywhere in Splatoon. In Destiny I don't see nearly as many female characters running around.

moomoo14

I'm trying to fathom why'd they be nervous.

Everyone that saw the reveal had reactions that at worst were "this looks pretty cool," and at best were "I NEED THIS RIGHT NOW!" Like, this will have no problem selling if the game delivers.

I'm glad they hold their stance and went with the female protagonist. It's a wonderful breath of fresh air.

Amir0x

Banned
Interesting points. The lack of budget received may have to do with the perceived risk for what AAA games are considered to be in gameplay genre, tropes and targeted players (ie generally shooters with a male soldier targeting male teenagers and young adults). Those types of games get the most funding and the more risky ones don't get marketed as much. I don't think it's warranted though. We've seen games with female characters sell well. Thankfully the reception to Horizon should reassure Sony they can take the risk to pump as much marketing money as they would in Uncharted and prove it's been a misconception from the start. While they may lose some sales from the 10% (or so) male teens that said they wouldn't play a game starring a female character, they might bring in some new female players by advertising it during Hunger Games or something and make up for it. Added diversity to the gaming landscape would help open the industry beyond the traditional demographics the majority of the budget went to.

I'm on the same page as you. But the only way it's going to change over the long-term is with an entire systemic change in the roles society gives to females. That means changing marketing strategies, adopting a more inclusive, gender-neutral position, even if initially it means less sales, the goal is to change patterns over a few generations until we can normalize female and male positions in society and its cultural zeitgeist.

A good example of how significant of an impact social pressure on gender norms and female inclusion can be is what happened to the field of Computer Sciences.

For decades, the number of women in computer sciences was growing at a rate exponentially faster than men. At that rate, it would have surpassed men sometime in the late 80s. But as this NPR broadcast illustrates, something changed in 1984. Personal Computers started being in homes in large numbers. And those personal computers were almost uniformly marketed toward boys, to the point where quickly a stigma came to exist that computers were for solely for boys.

There were other associated things that also led to these conditions, but the end result was being a tech geek was considered "unattractive" for females, and yet somehow OK when men joined the field.

The number of females entering computer sciences slowly began to flatline, until it dipped and dipped and dipped until today they make up 17% of the entire field. This is down from a steadily rising 34% in the 80s, and had this change not occurred we would have almost certainly seen female population in computer sciences near 50%. Imagine how different and inclusive computer technology might have been had this been the case. Imagine how many unique perspectives and game experiences we never got to have due to this. Imagine all the intelligent voices silenced due to society's nonsense.

her design is amazing

though lol, why is it so worrisome with Tomb Raider sitting right there?

Well, a number of things I suppose. It's a new IP, whilst Tomb Raider is an existing 20 year old IP at this point. And Tomb Raider has always been the exception when it comes to having a popular female lead in a popular series.

You'd think Sony would be more progressive than that. Especially given the number of games last gen with female leads.

Perfect Dark
Heavenly Sword
Tomb Raider
Beyond
Remember Me
Mirrors Edge

I mean, Sony funded 2 of those and WERE funding Remember Me at one point.

Perfect Dark was at the start of last gen and never got another retail game after that to judge. Remember Me, Mirrors Edge and Heavenly Sword all flopped to some extent. Tomb Raider and Beyond are the only exceptions and Tomb Raider has a long pedigree to help carry it. That's also only 6 games over an 8 year span.

Amir0x

Banned
her design is amazing

though lol, why is it so worrisome with Tomb Raider sitting right there?

A single popular game with a female lead does not disprove the complicated notion of certain groups preferring particular gender roles in their games and sales being impacted due to that.

That's why we have statistics - we don't look at a single example, we look over many many examples to see if a trend emerges. There's always going to be exceptions, and that just says it's not impossible to do it. But it says nothing to the harsh realities of how difficult it might be to resonate with the audience, how much added risk you bring to the production, and how people might relate to the characters therein with subconscious gender bias.

The question is if we for example give games with women lead protagonists equal budgets and marketing pushes, would they then sell equally as well as the games with male leads? Unfortunately no such study has been done, because to my knowledge there has been no promise from any developer to dedicate such resources to a game with a female lead. I bet Sony will do it for Horizon, but that'd also be a single data point... and if you add Tomb Raider next to it, that'd be two :p

A single popular game with a female lead does not disprove the complicated notion of certain groups preferring particular gender roles in their games and sales being impacted due to that.

That's why we have statistics - we don't look at a single example, we look over many many examples to see if a trend emerges. There's always going to be exceptions, and that just says it's not impossible to do it. But it says nothing to the harsh realities of how difficult it might be to resonate with the audience, how much added risk you bring to the production, and how people might relate to the characters therein with subconscious gender bias.

The question is if we for example give games with women lead protagonists equal budgets and marketing pushes, would they then sell equally as well as men? Unfortunately no such study has been done, because to my knowledge there has been no promise from any developer to dedicate such resources to a game with a female lead. I bet Sony will do it for Horizon, but that'd also be a single data point... and if you add Tomb Raider next to it, that'd be two :p

We also have Lightning and the FFXIII set. That'd be 3. But it's still a small dosage compared to the number of games out there.

Amir0x

Banned
We also have Lightning and the FFXIII set. That'd be 3. But it's still a small dosage compared to the number of games out there.

In order to really judge that case, we'd have to extrapolate the data in a different way. We'd need to understand the context of the sales expectations for a Final Fantasy game - a very popular old established IP - and see if the sales for FFXIII were significantly less than those of previous titles in the series, or at least if it's even less sales than the expected decrease trajectory the series was naturally going through.

In order to really judge that case, we'd have to extrapolate the data in a different way. We'd need to understand the context of the sales expectations for a Final Fantasy game - a very popular old established IP - and see if the sales for FFXIII were significantly less than those of previous titles in the series, or at least if it's even less sales than the expected decrease trajectory the series was naturally going through.

It'd be a bit muddy, I tend to single out FFXIII because even between FF fans it was a polarizing game, especially when it managed to get 2 sequels in the same world. Probably not the best example in the case of a AAA game with female lead, but it's a game with a female lead nevertheless. When compared within the FF brand it'll probably have done less than previous entries, but at the same time it was multiplatform compared to previous entries so it might have done more than previous entries.

There's alot of factors to this. Horizon will be an exclusive game, Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive(And that series went from PS exclusive to multiplatform), and FFXIII was a multiplatform.

When you take that into account, Horizon is an extremely risky game on to have it on one platform.

Sothpaw

Nothing wrong with her. If she were wearing heavy plate armor with a huge shield and warhammer I wouldn't go for it. But an agile female lead with a bow? Sounds good to me.

nightever

I just read on Videogamer that GG thought they were going to be "slaughtered" by people's reactions to the setting after the concept art leaked a year ago:

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/horiz...by_community_over_horizon_zero_dawn_leak.html

Have more faith, Guerilla! Come on.

This make me think, last year leak from a Chinese website was leaked intentionally and was one of the 'tests'. The Chinese website has good relationship with Sony and they made the information very official.

Top Bottom