• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's response to EA Access Subscription plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spades

Is it early access? Or is it holding a carrot on a stick and purposely delaying the retail availability to garner more subscribers.

People wake up!!!! This is ea they aren't doing you any favors they aren't going to just give you their games, it's another way to get more money from you!!

Once again, if it's anything like EA Season Ticket, it's early access to the full game.

FranXico

Excellent. If this was allowed on Playstation, it would most likely be the end of EA games on PS Plus. I don't want any subscriptions on top of subscriptions. If Sony allowed this, then maybe other publishers would create their own subscription services next, and eventually there'd be nothing interesting left for PS Plus. So it most definitely would devalue PS Plus and lead to us having to spend more money to get the same level of quality as before.

Smart, Sony!

You do realize that EA can still (and probably will) not make their PS4 games available on PS+ anyway, right?

Sony is powerless either way.

I read this as Sony evaluating this subscription after it was announced... as in this is the first time that they have heard about it which is why they made the unusual move to make this kind of statement. A PR move to deflect that this isn't showing up on their platform. I don't think Sony had an option to turn this subscription down which would have been an unusual move for them to do.

Anyways, I will get my pitchfork out. Go GAF!!!!

Also it seems like some low level PR guy is pulling this statement out of his ass. I doubt any Sony exec would burn EA in this way.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Have you never met anyone that chose to do a stupid thing?

I meet them every day of my life. Consumers as an entity, are not smart. Informed consumers are. We are the latter, not the former when it comes to games. Unfortunately, the former vastly outnumber that latter.
That's not what I said though. Just because people choose to use a service doesn't not make the service bad, sure there will be uninformed customers who use it, so what?

kyser73

So funny that so many here are happy to want the choice to not give their money to EA.

It's like a reverse consumer boycott.

keit4

Banned
This decision is hard to understand (and harder to praise). More choices and services to the user is always a good thing.

Is it really a slippery slope to say that EA will continue to add more "features" to it as time goes on(making not having it a worse and worse proposition)?

Is it really a slippery slope to say that other major publishers will follow if this is successful?

so what happens if you stop the subscription, do the games get deleted from your harddrive? So that mean you will have to be online to use play their games?

There is likely a check-in to make sure that you are still a subscriber. As it stands now I'm paid through August 2015 so I would assume there would be a sub check at that date to confirm that my access is still valid.

Gestault

MS is doing that because they have no other choice. They're in no position to keep charging for something that's not worth it.

What do you think inherently allows Sony to make PS+ something you find appealing but Microsoft's Xbox Live Gold offerings so problematic? I'm having trouble seeing this as anything but nearly identical behaviors being reacted to differently.

Xando

With Sony saying no to EA access do you guys think Ubisoft and Activision will drop it or will they still do it on XB1?

Spades

Here we go again with the slippery slope BS.

This service is not new. It's been around for 3 years. It's got better, not worse.

All facts.

TrueGrime

it's unfortunate but for my first time on GAF I actually put someone on ignore.

If the service appeals to you, try it out. It's a monthly or yearly subscription. It isn't permanent. Also it's unfortunate to the Sony fans that might have wanted to give this a try. The doom and gloom over this is so ridiculous and people are basing their negativity based on theoretical outcomes of what might happen in the future.

It's not just sports games. More games will be added in the future. Early access to games. Discounts on games. Most importantly, you can still purchase your games the same way you have been doing if you don't like it.

RMI

Banned
It's mind boggling that people might want the option to subscribe to a service they perceive gives them good value?

Yeah....

Mind boggling.

No, it's more that people want more opportunities to give money to such an aggressively anticonsumer company.

Scrawnton

Seems like everyone forgot that EA also sells games from other publishers/third parties via Origin.

Who's to say that they couldn't try to evolve the service into something that offers more than EA games like they did for Origin?

Now that is something that would scare the crap out of Sony as it would be direct competition with PS+.

And buying digital games through ea on a ps4 is something that directly removes Sony from the equation.

Sony has the right to stop this before it gets out of hand. It's their system, they run the services. Publishers should just publish games and leave the discounts and services to Sony and Microsoft.

You're missing the math in this.

If i have an idea what games the big three are releasing for a year and i feel paying $90 is cheaper than paying $180 ($60 per game), guess what I am doing.
Err who said anything about new release titles being added? You would still need to pay for the title. Look at the EA list, it is all last year's stuff being added just before this year's franchise releases come out. I find it hhighly unlikely that Madden 15 or FIFA 15 would be added until around this time next year.

Aces&Eights

Long term, the principals involved would give me reason to be wary, based on past practices. Today, though? Let them experiment and see what happens.

Yeah, this is an experiment in how much EA can rape the gamers wallets. Let's look at their past track record and use that to predict what the future could hold with this service. Game cut DLC, season passes, is ridiculous. EA is dangling a little worm on a big fucking hook into the sea of xbox live and once you bite the fishnets come out and we are all going to be caught up in the cast.

I'm perhaps being old man paranoid but goddamnit, this is how it always begins.

You do realize that EA can still (and probably will) not make their PS4 games available on PS+ anyway, right?

Sony is powerless either way.
Oh no some of the shittiest games out there from the shittiest publisher might not be available on PS+. What am I going to do.

Yopis

Why give people the option, they're trying to sell PS+ and PS now.

Bingo….. crazy many can't see this. Also if Ubi or any other big pub want to start their own sub service what's stopping them? Netflix lost HBO shows once they started their own service. That lowered the value of Netflix to many. PS plus won't be great without the other pubs. Sony can't stop everyone from doing this. Better get on board and let the market decide is my thought.

Sony doesn't want to save you from the big bad sub services from the evil third parties. Sony only wants you to use your finite cash for their service. Not evil or good just in the best interest of their company imo.

Cynn

I'd guess they would stop working the next time they have to do a check in with EA's servers
I don't see why rotating them out of the vault would end your access though. Kinda like how PS+ games have limited availability to claim but are yours as long as the sub is continued.

Surely EA wouldn't axe access to paid members. That would be pretty harsh.

Handy Fake

Yeah, this is an experiment in how much EA can rape the gamers wallets. Let's look at their past track record and use that to predict what the future could hold with this service. Game cut DLC, season passes, is ridiculous. EA is dangling a little worm on a big fucking hook into the sea of xbox live and once you bite the fishnets come out and we are all going to be caught up in the cast.

I hear you, Goose.

This decision is hard to understand (and harder to praise). More choices and services to the user is always a good thing.

I used to be able to get Cable, including premium channels, for < 100$. But now what used to be clumped in packages that I could buy all at once, are scattered out as different premium selections, for a higher price. And because of this the number of services has increased because they can charge even more.

I have more choices. I have more services. But it's not remotely a good thing.

Yay for the beginning of the cable model as applied to Video Games. All hail the benevolent EA, doing this out of the kindness of their hearts.

Thanks for the response. I like that you are wary of it but are willing to let it develop.

But you saying people were 'stupid enough' to pay for Xbox Live, micro-transactions and DLC. How is PS+ any different?

PS+ offers really good value. I don't exactly like that Sony put the online behind the paywall, but so long as I keep getting my monthly games and sales discounts (For example, I recently saved pretty big when I bought Injustice and Lego Marvel, and my entire Vita collection is almost all PS+ games and games I bought on sale), I'll be fine. It was only a matter of time, MS proved people were willing to pay for online.

Oh no some of the shittiest games out there from the shittiest publisher might not be available on PS+. What am I going to do.

Not play them? Good to have choice isn't it?

PS+ offers really good value. I don't exactly like that Sony put the online behind the paywall, but so long as I keep getting my monthly games and sales discounts (For example, I recently saved pretty big when I bought Injustice and Lego Marvel, and my entire Vita collection is almost all PS+ games and games I bought on sale), I'll be fine. It was only a matter of time, MS proved people were willing to pay for online.

So as long as the value is to be seen, then it's okay? That's the point I've been making all along.

icespide

Banned
I don't see why rotating them out of the vault would end your access though. Kinda like how PS+ games have limited availability to claim but are yours as long as the sub is continued.

I honestly don't know, could go either way, but this is EA...

BibiMaghoo

That's not what I said though. Just because people choose to use a service doesn't not make the service bad, sure there will be uninformed customers who use it, so what?

No, of course. I was simply saying that giving people a choice to use something shit, will inevitably result in people doing so. Having a choice to do bad things or not, isn't always a good thing.

In truth I would rather the option over none, but I absolutely maintain that PS+ is a vastly better service for the money.

Spades

This "experiment" has been going for 3 years. On Xbox 360 and PS3.

I feel you. If this were almost anyone but EA I'd care but...lol. This only ends badly. Any time I've been cynical they've given me even more reasons to be.

Solid logic there. Something you consider "shitty" might not be seen the same way to someone else.

Bottom line is Sony should've offered this as well and leave it up to the player if they want it or not. The way they're spinning it just makes them look sour they missing out on the opportunity to get it exclusively.

With Sony saying no to EA access do you guys think Ubisoft and Activision will drop it or will they still do it on XB1?

Well, first, we need some indication that Ubi and Activision are doing this at all. We have no idea what they are thinking, and whether they have anything similar planned, so it is a bit early to speculate on whether they will "drop it or still do it on XB1."

SeanTSC

The value of it was garbage compared to GCU anyways. Can't say I care about having it.

Guess it's good that they're not opening the floodgates to some "games as a service" trojan horse by the big publishers. I'm not eager to see the day that that finally happens.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Well, when all the latest sports titles are available, why would anyone want to play older one. Same goes with Battlefield games. I think this is what they mean by removing games from vault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom