• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact will be the first smartphones with PS4 Remote Play

Novocaine

You do realize that these latest Xperias are among the best smartphones on the market, right?

That's subjective. I would be legitimately shocked if any Xperia offering would make me as satisfied as I am with my N5 if past experience is anything to go by.

Tagg9

That's subjective. I would be legitimately shocked if any Xperia offering would make me as satisfied as I am with my N5 if past experience is anything to go by.
Can you be more specific? I'm in the market for a new smartphone and was considering the X3 and Nexus 6.

Nesther

After I saw my friend put his Z3 into a bowl of water and it still worked underwater, I decided to get one once my contract is over. This Remote Play feature just makes the phone even more attractive.

Based off my experience with the Nexus 4 and Xperia Z2 and from reviews, the only advantage of the Nexus 5 has over the Z3 is quicker updates/stock android. Every other aspect of the phone is favor of the Z3, especially battery life and the camera.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
If you preorder through T-Mobile, you get DriveClub for free. Im waiting to see which I get first, the PS+ version, for the the free version from T-Mobile.

doby

After I saw my friend put his Z3 into a bowl of water and it still worked underwater, I decided to get one once my contract is over. This Remote Play feature just makes the phone even more attractive.

You've gotta be savvy about the waterproofness. Yes it's watertight brand new but overtime those silicone seal flips gather dirt the more theyre opened. If there's dirt on them it won't be watertight (we're talking really small dirt particles).

This won't be an issue in rain or the odd splash but submerging the phone is a different matter. The key is to clean the seals, if you don't you could well find droplets appearing on the camera lenses or worse still you can fry the mainboard.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Based off my experience with the Nexus 4 and Xperia Z2 and from reviews, the only advantage of the Nexus 5 has over the Z3 is quicker updates/stock android. Every other aspect of the phone is favor of the Z3, especially battery life and the camera.

Personally, I don't even care about android updates anymore. They haven't had any updates I the past year or so that I felt improved my experience

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
You've gotta be savvy about the waterproofness. Yes it's watertight brand new but overtime those silicone seal flips gather dirt the more theyre opened. If there's dirt on them it won't be watertight (we're talking really small dirt particles).

This won't be an issue in rain or the odd splash but submerging the phone is a different matter. The key is to clean the seals, if you don't you could well find droplets appearing on the camera lenses or worse still you can fry the mainboard.

You can also leave the flaps permanently closed and charge via the magnetic charging port.

I have a z1c, and it has been great but sad to see they are not planning to officially port the app to it. Still, I have a vita, so I get my remote play fix either way.

Hasney

Can you be more specific? I'm in the market for a new smartphone and was considering the X3 and Nexus 6.

Same myself as the only thing putting me off the Z3 is the storage space. If the N6 can match it for battery life, I may go with that.

Although with the rumors of the Z4 which could come out around when my contract actually comes up with 4GB RAM and a 64-bit processor, I may see how that turns out... I just want to get off my turd Galaxy S4 ASAP though!

Same myself as the only thing putting me off the Z3 is the storage space. If the N6 can match it for battery life, I may go with that.

Although with the rumors of the Z4 which could come out around when my contract actually comes up with 4GB RAM and a 64-bit processor, I may see how that turns out... I just want to get off my turd Galaxy S4 ASAP though!

Why is the Z3 storage space an issue?

Withnail

Trust me, I'm a long time Android fan and still have the G1 to prove it. But I have a Z2 and my wife has a N5 and I wouldn't swap for the world. The N5 battery and camera are just not in the same league, and while I fully understand why people love stock Android, I actually find most of Sony's additions really useful and well designed.

Sorry for off topic.

Pinktaco

Where have you heard this?

This is true. I've dropped my Xperia Z a ton of times. No damage. Dropped my Z3c once and the entire back is now a broken mess. No damage to the actual hardware so it's still working very well, but God damn.. I had it for 4 days before it happened. Besides the phone is super slippery.

So now I've bought myself a cover to hide the back and I normally don't like to use covers :/

raven777

Recently got Xperia Z3 Compact. Beautiful device.

Unfortunately I don't have PS4 so I can't test out the remote play...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Recently got Xperia Z3 Compact. Beautiful device.

Unfortunately I don't have PS4 so I can't test out the remote play...

It doesn't work yet. There's a link on the Playstation App to the 'Remote Play' app that just says "PS4 Remote Play will be available on Google Play soon".

Don't know what they're waiting for, it's pretty annoying considering it's a major selling point of the device that they are pushing with all their advertising.

Tommy DJ

This is a trap, more and more apps can't be transferred to the SD card.

You probably want apps to use the internal flash memory since its likely much faster than a cheapo SD card. If you only use the 11GB or whatever provided for only apps, I don't think you'll run out particularly quickly. The SD card is useful for things like music and other transferable files, which can actually take up a pretty substantial amount of space.

Lucius86

Banned
Z3 owner here, love the device. It really is a beautiful piece of kit (white). Android I can't say I love, but the app situation is so much better than with Windows Phone it totally outweighs the minuses.

Not had the chance to test out the water proof features, but considering I bought the device handset only I will be wanting insurance first!

I have a sony xperia z3 but when I try to start the app via playstationapp tells me that the remote play feature is not yet available on Google Play Store , how do I make it work ?

Haxxona

Banned

Its pretty easy to clean them with cotton pads or similar, I do it one every 2 months on my Z, Z1 and now my Z2. They never opened by themselves like others do. Takes about 2 minutes to clean the inner edges of the port and then you're good to go.
Z3 owner here, love the device. It really is a beautiful piece of kit (white). Android I can't say I love, but the app situation is so much better than with Windows Phone it totally outweighs the minuses.

Not had the chance to test out the water proof features, but considering I bought the device handset only I will be wanting insurance first!
If you want to check out if your phone is waterproof then close your lids and open your dialer and tyoe in this:
1. dial *#*#7378423#*#*
2. go to "Service Tests"
3. go to "pressure sensor"
Or download any barometer app from the store.

Now open the app or pressure sensor and start squeezing the front and the back and check the pressure to see if it is moving. If its moving up and then slowly down you're good to go. But if absolutely nothing is happening then you might hold yourself off from watertesting it

liger05

This is true. I've dropped my Xperia Z a ton of times. No damage. Dropped my Z3c once and the entire back is now a broken mess. No damage to the actual hardware so it's still working very well, but God damn.. I had it for 4 days before it happened. Besides the phone is super slippery.

So now I've bought myself a cover to hide the back and I normally don't like to use covers :/

Get a new back replacement. They are easy to remove and refit a new one.

QaaQer

Doesn't the Vita have some dedicated chip for streaming? I'm not 100% sure on this, but if that's the case, the Z3 would have that too and it would de facto be exclusive for hardware reasons.

probably been answered...for streaming to work, there has to be an encoder chip in the ps4 and a decoder chip in the receiver or else latency wrecks things. It is the same set up as with nvidia shield and their more recent gpuss. Having thecpu do it would take waaaay too long.

pa22word

Any news on if the Compact is coming to the States in a form that doesn't cost me over 500$? I'm in the market for a new phone, but a 5.3" monster just isn't going to cut it for me as a phone.

Alpha_eX

Z3 Compact is a great phone and has survived a drop on concrete and bath time. My biggest complaint with it is the fact Netflix is unusable due to audio lag.

Hasney

Z3 Compact is a great phone and has survived a drop on concrete and bath time. My biggest complaint with it is the fact Netflix is unusable due to audio lag.

Holy shit, still? This has been affecting Z2 owners since 4.3 apparently, although not everyone. Only possible solution I can find is this:

Go into Settings – Sound – Sound Effects and turn off individual settings. You can also try changing the sound enhancement settings to see if this makes any difference. In some cases, audio processing issues may cause audio delays.

Haxxona

Banned
Holy shit, still? This has been affecting Z2 owners since 4.3 apparently, although not everyone. Only possible solution I can find is this:

Go into Settings – Sound – Sound Effects and turn off individual settings. You can also try changing the sound enhancement settings to see if this makes any difference. In some cases, audio processing issues may cause audio delays.
Turning off all sound effects fixes the problem, I still want Netflix to consult sony on this because it only happens in the netflix app

Ravage

Trust me, I'm a long time Android fan and still have the G1 to prove it. But I have a Z2 and my wife has a N5 and I wouldn't swap for the world. The N5 battery and camera are just not in the same league, and while I fully understand why people love stock Android, I actually find most of Sony's additions really useful and well designed.

Sorry for off topic.

I too upgraded from Galaxy Nexus to Z1 last year and really don't miss stock Android one bit. The Xperia skin is almost identical to stock experience with some nifty tricks. Especially small apps, which is a pretty good multitasking solution e.g. using the currency converter and calculator small apps while referring to your browser at the same time.

Snowballo

To Z3 owners: you cannot remote play yet right? You have to wait for Sony to upgrade firmware? When about are they planning to include this new feature?

Thanks.

Alpha_eX

I've got everything turned off, option to turn on ClearAudio+, Dynamic Normaliser and Sound Effects.

It's really frustrating and I would return the phone but can't seem to get away with it as it's technically an app issue, video fine in other things like VLC ect.

Cynar

The funny thing is if you had a decent cover to begin with you wouldn't have had a cracked phone. :(

Top Bottom