• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speculating on Nintendo's WiiU software release strategy in 2014

UNCMark

Banned
That wouldn't be terrible if Nintendo was able to adequately provide a platform for third parties to be successful on. But if Nintendo is fine being the maker of the console you only use a couple times a year, then so be it.

Peff

Not the same thing at all. The 3d was always optional on the 3DS. You could play everygame without it. The Wii U is (to a fault, probably) is built around the gamepad being mandatory.

You'd think that, but with the DSi they didn't mind shitcanning the then only portable version of what was the hottest franchise at the time. Not that I believe it'll happen, but you never know.

ajjow

I know most of you think that wii u been canned is crazy, but Ive seen so much worse happening with people that canceling wii u is not impossible.

If nintendo sells more 1.5 million units, they will have barely 6 millions consoles. Lets say mario kart and donkey kong puts another 1.5 million consoles by june 2014, there will be almost 8 millions consoles in the whole world. Nintendo wont be able to make much money with that.

The 3rd party support will be none next year. Its impossible to change that. There wont be any sense to maintain the console if it doesnt give too much money. If Iwata is out on May, investors will destroy the wii U.

Its a complete colateral effect. Thats how i see it.

cafemomo

im gonna say something wich I expect neogaf to remember..

Wii U is gonna be canceled next year. Iwata will be erased in april and wont be april fools, maybe may 2014.

There wont be a new game console really soon. The death of the system will be slow. They will release the rest of the games and the next zelda will be ps4 game. Call me crazy, but I really expect that.

Please dont bann me, but I really see that happening.

axdocjM.gif

I wonder if it'll continue to get support from Ubi, WB and Activision. If not then the list is gonna be nothing but Nintendo games.

I purchased a Wii U at launch and it's great the console is seeing more action.

Mario 3D Worlds, DKC and Mario Kart will be great but i am concerned as to what is after that. (Not a "smash" fan)

I really see nothing coming after that and i can already see a drought coming after these titles.

They've been working on Bayo2 since at least early 2012, and its been in playable demos for months(which is a lot more than you could say for those other two titles). I'm pretty sure its coming out early next year, probably around Mario Kart.

Smash is gonna be late. Way late, like November(and then delayed in Europe until January, naturally). Zelda aint happening until 2015.

-Secret Miyamoto casual Gamepad-focused IP
-new Intelligent Systems game, perhaps a Paper Mario away from Miyamoto's story-hating influences
-That new Koizumi game they said was gonna get an announcement soon, although I'd bet money its a 3DS title the year after his big console game, similar to 3DLand after Galaxy 2
-METROID DREAD LOLOL

Spread that out through the year, play eshop games during droughts, hope for the best
Miyamoto talked about his new IP and he will soon reveal it
Intelligent Systems new game was kinda leaked through an american employee posting something on LinkedIn

Anth0ny

Not the same thing at all. The 3d was always optional on the 3DS. You could play everygame without it. The Wii U is (to a fault, probably) is built around the gamepad being mandatory.

I still think they could drop it at this very moment with little consequence if they really wanted to.

There is no way X and Bayo 2 aren't next year.

Bayo 2 mayyybe.

X I'd lean towards no.

They've been working on Bayo2 since at least early 2012, and its been in playable demos for months(which is a lot more than you could say for those other two titles). I'm pretty sure its coming out early next year, probably around Mario Kart.

Smash is gonna be late. Way late, like November(and then delayed in Europe until January, naturally). Zelda aint happening until 2015.

-Secret Miyamoto casual Gamepad-focused IP
-new Intelligent Systems game, perhaps a Paper Mario away from Miyamoto's story-hating influences
-That new Koizumi game they said was gonna get an announcement soon, although I'd bet money its a 3DS title the year after his big console game, similar to 3DLand after Galaxy 2
-METROID DREAD LOLOL

Spread that out through the year, play eshop games during droughts, hope for the best

Miyamoto is the god of taking fucking forever to release his games. New IP? Reveal at E3 2015 and it'll release in late 2016, I'd say.

I could see a new IS game happening. Early 2015.

Koizumi gets shit done. I'd say... early 2015 ^_^

Metroid is dead =(

BowieZ

Banned
Can someone go through those old "What are Nintendo's developers/teams up to?" threads and source out which first/second parties are likely to have something lined up for next year (to be revealed in a January Direct or E3 or whatever)?

Also, I reckon there's another Yoshi game in the pipeline. Year of Yoshi. Either an HD remake, or some sort of two-screen Topsy Turvy/Touch & Go style game.

Sendou

Not really but both have been playable for over a year and X is already being translated.

X has never been playable. As far as we know it is being translated at the same time as it is developed but it tells us more about a potential worldwide (or close to that) release than the actually month or even year.

Miyamoto is the god of taking fucking forever to release his games. New IP? Reveal at E3 2015 and it'll release in late 2016, I'd say.

it looks like a small side project and Miyamoto has been fast on these ones. the last one is wii fit i think. I dont remember that being delayed for long.

Zalman

I'm fairly confident in speculating another Pokémon title of some sort will come out on Wii U. No way they aren't riding that train after the hype of X and Y's release.
I hope to see a new Pokémon Stadium type of game. Generation V didn't have one, presumably because they knew it would be a shorter generation. With both a new home console AND X/Y out, I think next year would be the perfect time for a Wii U Pokémon game.

Riki

Wait what do you mean? Every game is "playable" since the initial concept demos or whatever. It means nothing.
Based on the videos it is out of alpha. They have been working on the game for over three years now. I can't see it not hitting 2014.

Optimistic timeline?

Feb- DKC
March- MK8
May-June- X,Bayonetta 2
August- Yoshi Wii U
September- Fire Emblem x SMT
October- Smash Wii U
November- Zelda Wii U, Wii Sports U

More realistic

Feb- DKC
April-May-MK8
August- Bayonetta 2
October- Yoshi Wii U
November- Smash

Throw in some Wii ___ game and X being set to 2015 in the US.

The real kicker is the complete lack of 3rd party games. There is also the 3rd Sonic game but who knows when that releases.

Nintendo needs some surprise games too in 2014. This list is not enough.

They can't just pull them out of their ass tho. I do expect there to be one unannounced game for the core but I'd wager Bayo 2, Yarn Yoshi, DK, Mario Kart, Smash, X is pretty much what we will get (and is way WAY better what they did this year). No fuckin clue what the situation with FExSMT is.

As for more 3rd party stuff who knows. Maybe Sega has something for next year too.

Roo

im gonna say something wich I expect neogaf to remember..

Wii U is gonna be canceled next year. Iwata will be erased in april and wont be april fools, maybe may 2014.

There wont be a new game console really soon. The death of the system will be slow. They will release the rest of the games and the next zelda will be ps4 game. Call me crazy, but I really expect that.

Please dont bann me, but I really see that happening.

BAN THIS DUDE!
lulz

Kyzer

Banned

Huff

Banned
Mario Kart gets pushed back into later 2014. Bayo also sometime in 2014. Maybe Smash. X and FESMT (if it still exists) 2015

Ganondolf

I know most of you think that wii u been canned is crazy, but Ive seen so much worse happening with people that canceling wii u is not impossible.

If nintendo sells more 1.5 million units, they will have barely 6 millions consoles. Lets say mario kart and donkey kong puts another 1.5 million consoles by june 2014, there will be almost 8 millions consoles in the whole world. Nintendo wont be able to make much money with that.

The 3rd party support will be none next year. Its impossible to change that. There wont be any sense to maintain the console if it doesnt give too much money. If Iwata is out on May, investors will destroy the wii U.

Its a complete colateral effect. Thats how i see it.

Nintendo have a thing called a 3ds and that (and its games) will make them enough money to survive this generation if needed.

I also expect they only need t start the momentum, when people start buying it their friends and family will see, hear and play it and then some of them will buy it and sales will slowing increase.

I reckon the wii u will comfortable pass gamecube sales (and maybe even n64 sales) by the time this generation is over.

Optimistic timeline?

Feb- DKC
March- MK8
May-June- X,Bayonetta 2
August- Yoshi Wii U
September- Fire Emblem x SMT
October- Smash Wii U
November- Zelda Wii U, Wii Sports U

More realistic

Feb- DKC
April-May-MK8
August- Bayonetta 2
October- Yoshi Wii U
November- Smash

Throw in some Wii ___ game and X being set to 2015 in the US.
I think September, October, November will be much better then that. They will be competing with Xbone and PS4s second holiday season.

Neff

Everything we know of so far will be released Q1/Q2, summer at the latest, with the likely exceptions of Zelda, X and YEY. E3 will reveal christmas 2014 releases currently in development, Zelda a remote possibilty, some as yet unannounced.

It's hard to say with Bayonetta 2.

On one hand, the game was ready for reveal a year before it was announced for the Wii U. On the other hand, who knows how much of that work remains, how far it even was, and whether they just decided to restart the game from scratch.

Could be ready in a few months or take another year, only people who can say are Platinum and Nintendo.

That said, I do expect it won't come out in Spring if only so they can have a larger base for the game when it does come out. Platinum's base didn't come out for Wonderful 101 because of various concerns about the system, so maybe after hopeful expansions with Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 will do a bit better.

I still think they could drop it at this very moment with little consequence if they really wanted (

And accomplish what? Create a system that is about in line with the 8 year old ps3 and 360, possibly around the same price but with a fraction of the games and content? What is appealing about that to anyone other than Nintendo fans, who are already on board anyway?

How the hell do you interpret "we want to put as many characters as we can" to mean there will be less characters than previous titles? And less fan service? Lol wut?

Sakurai said in the past that he thinks that Brawls fanservice was too much and he cant really top that.

AntMurda

Possible Surprise 2014 Wii U / 3DS Release

- New Wii U or 3DS Game by EAD Tokyo Group No. 2 (Koizumi)
- Miyamoto's Steel Diver 2 (Free to Play)
- New Game from Sakamoto's Rhythm Heaven team
- New Game from Sakamoto's Kiki Trick team
- Wii U Game from Next-Level Games / Nintendo SPD Group No. 3
- Wii U Game from Intelligent Systems / Nintendo SPD Group No. 2
- Friend Collection 3DS for North America & Europe
- New Game from Nintendogs+Cats team? AKA Miyamoto and Konno's new IP???
- More HD Ports?

Lots of possibilities.

I think September, October, November will be much better then that. They will be competing with Xbone and PS4s second holiday season.

The system sales are complete shit and they basically have 3D World this year and couldn't get DKC or MK8 out on time. Nintendo puts out stuff when they feel its ready, and I don't think "compete" will be the right word for what it's doing vs the other two.

New Wii U or 3DS Game by EAD Tokyo Group No. 2

Not likely.

Agreed. And there are actually people speculating that some of their top tier titles won't come out next year. The games they HAVE aren't even enough.
They totally would be but the problem is 3rd party stuff, not the 1st party. I bet you right now Nintendo has the best 1st party lineup for next gen in 2014 but the 3rd party support will be so fuckin dead that it will just pale in comparison with PS4 and XB1 even when most of the stuff for them will be cross gen.

I dunno what they should do. They cannot sustain it alone.

The system sales are complete shit and they basically have 3D World this year and couldn't get DKC or MK8 out on time. Nintendo puts out stuff when they feel its ready, and I don't think "compete" will be the right word for what it's doing vs the other two.
as long as its available on the free market and plays games its competing.

also is it unreasonable to say that they will have more than 2 games in the holiday season 2014?
They totally would be but the problem is 3rd party stuff, not the 1st party. I bet you right now Nintendo has the best 1st party lineup for next gen in 2014 but the 3rd party support will be so fuckin dead that it will just pale in comparison with PS4 and XB1 even when most of the stuff for them will be cross gen.

I dunno what they should do. They cannot sustain it alone.

lot of 3rd party support will be dependent on how WiiU does this holiday season.

I think PS360 will get certain support for a few years and WiiU might benefit from that if they can sell enough units with Wii party U, Wii Fit U, Mario 3DLand and Zelda WW HD. If they fail horribly even companies like UBI, Activision or Warner will just drop them.

Nintendo may have an opportunity with MA activities in japan but we know that they are very conservative with that.

Westlo

December: X

lmao @ X being their big Dec title, they'll get annihilated. Xenoblades didn't even crack a million on a system that has a much bigger userbase. (potential) Quality of the game aside it has fuck all mass appeal, it's no FF15. It would be like if Sony's big holiday title for ps4 2014 holidays was xilla 3 or Ni no ki 2.

Nintendo will be saving Smash for the holidays.

as long as its available on the free market and plays games its competing.

Ok sorry it will compete very badly for the market those two are going for.

Why not? I can totally see Nintendo pulling out 3D Land 2 as the big holiday 2014 release for 3DS lol. At least I can see the thread.

I guess, the team could reuse assets and with a small team pump out a sequel. I just really don't see the need with 3D World existing for a 3D Land 2.

Into

Considering its success on the 3DS, Animal Crossing U is bound to be announced soon, at E3 or on one of the dozen or so Directs

Zelda is late 2015 at best, considering the length of time SS and TP took, the fact SS and TP were made on familiar hardware with the Wii (GC), add in HD development and...Christ all mighty. Could easily slip into 2016 or something territory, we might even start hearing rumors of a 3DS successor by that time. I am just super pessimistic when it comes to the first Zelda in HD, going to take forever :(

Koizumi confirmed his group has a secret project he can't reveal yet. This was from E3 when him and Hayashida (super mario 3d world director) answered the media. They also annexed 1-Up Studio straight into their group .

Do you have a link to this interview? Would be interesting to see a new IP from EAD Tokyo.

Top Bottom