• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 PC Dev Build Leaked, First Screenshots

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It appears that alongside the PC dev build for Marvel’s Wolverine, a PC dev build for Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 is also out in the wild

166347.jpg

Since these screenshots are from a PC dev build, they do not represent the quality of the final product. Let’s not forget that Sony and Insomniac Games have not officially announced Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 for PC.
The big Insomniac leak featured a folder for Marvel’s Spider-Man 2, so this PC dev build could be in that folder.

While we don’t have many details to share about this PC dev build, it's almost certain that it does not include the entire game. In theory, this PC dev build should have various vertical slice demos. That’s exactly what the PC dev build of Marvel’s Wolverine also had.

Marvels-Spider-Man-2-PC-Dev-Build-1.jpeg
Marvels-Spider-Man-2-PC-Dev-Build-6.jpeg
Marvels-Spider-Man-2-PC-Dev-Build-4.jpeg
Marvels-Spider-Man-2-PC-Dev-Build-9.jpeg
Marvels-Spider-Man-2-PC-Dev-Build-8.jpeg
Marvels-Spider-Man-2-PC-Dev-Build-2.jpeg
Marvels-Spider-Man-2-PC-Dev-Build-3.jpeg
Marvels-Spider-Man-2-PC-Dev-Build-7.jpeg

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
There isn't really much to say on this one. We've had ports in the past and it was safe to assume it would happen again.

The only mildly interesting thing is a look at an in-development build and that Dr.D00p had SLI 970s

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
This must be the craziest leak ever right? There will be a pirated/fully modded and functional spiderman 2 PC version out before Sony even announces the official version.
Yeah, I don't think anything like this has happened before, that's some pretty crazy stuff honestly. I remember that Assassin's Creed 1 was leaked on PC a few months before its release but we are still far from the situation of SM2.

mrcroket

I've been keeping an eye on the "devs" discord group and it's amazing what they have achieved, from an initial version that had no shaders or textures, to a fully functional version with most of the graphical problems solved.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I've been keeping an eye on the "devs" discord group and it's amazing what they have achieved, from an initial version that had no shaders or textures, to a fully functional version with most of the graphical problems solved.

It also goes to show how cheap Sony are making these PC versions of games. It's basically all pure profit with each release.

Larxia

It also goes to show how cheap Sony are making these PC versions of games. It's basically all pure profit with each release.
Exactly, and that's why I'm always confused when you see the cost of these ports, like I think it was said that ratchet pc port cost around 2 millions? But where do these 2 millions go to? What is costing that much?
I don't know, sometimes there are costs that I don't really understand.

Leak will probably accelerate their official release
Reminds me of how I theorize that the functionality boosts to RPCS3 started the whole push by Sony to start porting their games to PC in the first place. Go back and look at when they started really porting their first party and third party exclusive titles to PC and compare it to the progress of that emulator. It feels like they got shook out by the prospect of their games eventually being "lost" to PC anyway and some genius pushed the suits to wake up and capitalize now rather than never. Bless emulator developers.

MikeM

Exactly, and that's why I'm always confused when you see the cost of these ports, like I think it was said that ratchet pc port cost around 2 millions? But where do these 2 millions go to? What is costing that much?
I don't know, sometimes there are costs that I don't really understand.
$2 million is only 20 devs at $100k each. Is this budget including marketing? If so, take that out of the dev count.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: RNG

Larxia

$2 million is only 20 devs at $100k each. Is this budget including marketing? If so, take that out of the dev count.
That's pretty huge though, game devs in general aren't paid that much, unless we're talking about several years? But that's not how long these ports take.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
That's pretty huge though, game devs in general aren't paid that much, unless we're talking about several years? But that's not how long these ports take.
The average salary for devs porting a game would be a fair bit higher. You wouldn't have a bunch of underpaid graphics artists or art directors. It would be mostly be engineers, programmers, etc. Those guys make more than the regular worker.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Yep! And most of these ports are taking one year to do. So that checks out.

Larxia

The average salary for devs porting a game would be a fair bit higher. You wouldn't have a bunch of underpaid graphics artists or art directors. It would be mostly be engineers, programmers, etc. Those guys make more than the regular worker.

Yep! And most of these ports are taking one year to do. So that checks out.
But... what? I don't know I'm confused, I think it would be known if game devs in general were all millionnaires. I'm really confused with these numbers.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
But... what? I don't know I'm confused, I think it would be known if game devs in general were all millionnaires. I'm really confused with these numbers.
We're pretty far from millionaires here. MikeM MikeM said assuming 20 devs working over 1 year, the average comes out to 100K per head. If most of these guys are in high-paid positions such as software devs, the average makes sense. Furthermore, I remember seeing that in dev cost, they also include the cost of the facilities, amenities, etc. It isn't just employee salaries.

mckmas8808

They aren't all millionaires. Making $130k a year doesn't make you a millionaire. Plus they are all getting benefits too which cost money. But $2 to $4 million to make a PC port isn't expensive. It's easy profit. Sell 100,000 units on PC at an average price of $55 and you'll make $3.8 million after Valve gets their 30% cut. That's your break-even point probably. 100k should be doable for most PS5 games on PC.

Larxia

They aren't all millionaires. Making $130k a year doesn't make you a millionaire. Plus they are all getting benefits too which cost money. But $2 to $4 million to make a PC port isn't expensive. It's easy profit. Sell 100,000 units on PC at an average price of $55 and you'll make $3.8 million after Valve gets their 30% cut. That's your break-even point probably. 100k should be doable for most PS5 games on PC.
I don't know, I remain confused, 130k per year is like, rich tier for me lol I feel like I'm living in a different world all of a sudden.
And I still find these numbers crazy, because, like this discussion started, you have a PC port of spider-man 2 being worked on by amateurs for free, so when you compare that to multiple millions, it's just surprising that the official product is that expensive in comparison.

MikeM

Its not huge if you factor payroll taxes, benefit payments to insurance/government programs, etc per person. Their take home gross would be less if that budget includes all those benefit payments an employer is required to make.

MikeM

I don't know, I remain confused, 130k per year is like, rich tier for me lol I feel like I'm living in a different world all of a sudden.
And I still find these numbers crazy, because, like this discussion started, you have a PC port of spider-man 2 being worked on by amateurs for free, so when you compare that to multiple millions, it's just surprising that the official product is that expensive in comparison.
Rich tier is relative. Is $100k going far in a world of $500k shoebox condos? All depends where you live.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Perspective, my friend. I make a bit more than this and I felt richer when I was in my early mid 20s making less than half of what I make now.

Sanepar

If u are stupid and spend everything buying crap yes. But for smart people in 6-7 years you get milionarie with 130k.

mckmas8808

Rich tier is relative. Is $100k going far in a world of $500k shoebox condos? All depends where you live.

Yeah I bought my current home in Texas 4 years ago for $350,000. It's now worth close to $600,000!!! Now it's 3,200 square feet, but that type of increase is insane. $100k isn't that much when home price jump like that.

mckmas8808

If u are stupid and spend everything buying crap yes. But for smart people in 6-7 years you get milionarie with 130k.

What some people consider crap, others consider living a good life that's enjoyable. I spent $20k on building my theather room in my house. Could that be considered stupid and buying "crap"? Yeah it could be. Could I have put that same $20k into a mutual fund in the year 2020 and made at least a 100% profit on it by now? Yes! But I've gotten 100s of hours of enjoyment from my theater room with my PS4, PS5, and PSVR 1 and 2.

Having extra money just for the sake of having money isn't worth as much as the experiences you could have too. Different perspective, I guess.

MikeM

Yeah I bought my current home in Texas 4 years ago for $350,000. It's now worth close to $600,000!!! Now it's 3,200 square feet, but that type of increase is insane. $100k isn't that much when home price jump like that.
Yeah its insane. I bought my property 8 years ago at about $400k. Now its worth about $750k. It shouldn’t be legal to have that much appreciation. I’m concerned for my kids’ futures.

Top Bottom