• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 the game - why have there been no reviews?

Vibri

Banned
The general consensus I heard was that the new 3D web-swinging system is pretty cool, but the overall game is pretty average.

Would be interested to read some final impressions though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I played it for about an hour last night...

GTA-like in terms of mission design, incredible swinging mechanics (really really fun), massive city, and decent combat mechanics (fairly simple, though).

Honestly, I was never interested in the game...but my friend certainly had an interest and bought it early yesterday.I was quite suprised to find that it was actually very enjoyable! Now, the question is whether or not the missions become more complex. The missions I DID play were mostly optional side missions and involved things like chasing down cars or kicking the shit outta bad guys. I would hope that there is more to it than that...

Activision is being frustratd because they werent allowed to send out review code of Spider-Man 2 due to the movies production companies not wanting the plot to be "out there". Of course it can also be a crap game, but based on what most of us pressfolks have seen it aint so. The interesting thing is that no one got an exclusive of the review code, at least it seems like it so far. So the game has been held under wraps everywhere, it'll be interesting to get the retail version next week and check the game out.

Vibri

Banned
I don't buy that. Yes, Activision isn't sending out review builds - that's my point. They might be feeding press this explanation, but there are already official 'making-off' books in stores that go pretty in depth on the movie's plot.

Not to mention, this so called movie studio that doesn't want the plot to get out there via the game has been screening the MOVIE ITSELF for over two weeks to pretty much anyone with a vague press connection - I have half a dozen friends who've already seen it on the big screen.

And all they need to do is ask journalists not to spoil plot points in a review - this is pretty common practice in the publisher-reviewer relationship already.

Doesn't add up. Think about it.

I can confirm what these guys are saying. No one has received review code as far as I know...maybe magazines, but their reviews were probably embargoed so late that the issues won't go to print until after the movie debuts.

The game was apparently a lot of fun and quite impressive at a recent press event...

Psymon

I was at a press event for Spider-Man 2 (the game, of course) last week and even the producer from Activision said he was told by Sony Pictures not to show ANYTHING from later parts of the game. What a spoiler-secrecy, I must say! :p

By the way: I don't know if this will help anyone, but I've written some very, very brief (and badly written :)) impressions of a near-final build of the game over here -> http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=3223

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>I think it's because Sony Pictures want to keep everything under wraps before the film premiere. <<<

The US premiere was Tuesday night. I know because that's where I saw it. Oh, you mean the wide release. :p

Reviews are on embargo until Wed.

Some people on different boards arlready have the game. I don't think it officially goes on sale until Tues.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
UNLIKE Driv3r, this game rocks. If anything, the reviews are not being withheld until release because the game is crappy. ;)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
dark10x said:
I played it for about an hour last night...

GTA-like in terms of mission design, incredible swinging mechanics (really really fun), massive city, and decent combat mechanics (fairly simple, though).

Honestly, I was never interested in the game...but my friend certainly had an interest and bought it early yesterday.I was quite suprised to find that it was actually very enjoyable! Now, the question is whether or not the missions become more complex. The missions I DID play were mostly optional side missions and involved things like chasing down cars or kicking the shit outta bad guys. I would hope that there is more to it than that...

Haven't gotten that far yet myself, but a friend of mine has been playing it like crazy, and he tells me that things oo get more complex and challenging as you play the game. It also sounds like it ignores a lot of the movie storyline and adds some classic Spider-Man villains into the game.

Pachinko

The guys at my local EB have had it for a week, not selling it of course but the manager did crack one open and try it out. Enjoyed it immensly apparently.

BuddyC

Pachinko said:
The guys at my local EB have had it for a week, not selling it of course but the manager did crack one open and try it out. Enjoyed it immensly apparently.

Same here. Some of my friends happen to work at EB, and they won't shut up about the damn game. Every time they're over - "blah blah Spiderman 2"

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Usually I would be scared off by a game that didn't allow for any reviews until after its release and was based on a movie license. But the original Spiderman: The Movie game was pretty good, and I've heard that the sequel is just an improvement on that. I guess Sony Pictures just wants things kept tight until the movie comes out, by that time nobody will care what score the game gets, the hype of the movie will cover all. Given impressions from people that have copies now and what was said at E3, it is a solid game. No worries.

That being said, I plan on going to a midnight showing on Tuesday night.

BuddyC

CrimsonSkies said:
Here's some streams from a guy on IGN Xbox's forums that got the game early. It looks pretty fun and Bruce Campbell is voicing the tutorial. My only gripe from these vids is Toby McGuire (sp?). He could get annoying quick with his voice work.

http://www.thrillinghill.com/kblegolas/videos/kbspidey03.wmv

http://www.thrillinghill.com/kblegolas/videos/kbspidey02.wmv

http://www.thrillinghill.com/kblegolas/videos/kbspidey01.wmv

tell me that it supports custom soundtracks. please. please, for the love of god, tell me this kid put linkin park in himself, or at the least, i can change it out.

CrimsonSkies said:
Here's some streams from a guy on IGN Xbox's forums that got the game early. It looks pretty fun and Bruce Campbell is voicing the tutorial. My only gripe from these vids is Toby McGuire (sp?). He could get annoying quick with his voice work.

My only gripe about these vids is the guy sucking ass.

explodet

Lyte Edge said:
It also sounds like it ignores a lot of the movie storyline and adds some classic Spider-Man villains into the game.
Sounds like a standard for a game license - fighting Doc Ock over and over again, or fighting Random Thug #35 as a boss would get rather tiresome.

They did this with the Hulk game as well - inserting villans never mentioned in the movie.

Any news on which Spidey villans are in the game?

CrimsonSkies said:

Judging from those videos, the graphics aren't anything special, but swinging around the city looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

BuddyChrist83 said:
tell me that it supports custom soundtracks. please. please, for the love of god, tell me this kid put linkin park in himself, or at the least, i can change it out.

Nah, no custom soundtracks. I dunno where that Linkin Park shit came from. But dont worry, its not in game.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
RiotPelaaja said:
Activision is being frustratd because they werent allowed to send out review code of Spider-Man 2 due to the movies production companies not wanting the plot to be "out there". Of course it can also be a crap game, but based on what most of us pressfolks have seen it aint so. The interesting thing is that no one got an exclusive of the review code, at least it seems like it so far. So the game has been held under wraps everywhere, it'll be interesting to get the retail version next week and check the game out.

That I like to hear

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
CrimsonSkies said:

ROFL that was rather funny.

"Don't... let them... get the case..."
SPLIT SECOND LATER
"GIVES US THE CASE AND YOU WON'T GET HURT"
*woman gets beamed in the back of the head*

EDIT: The combat looks kinda crappy and very spastic. I'm not saying it doesn't look fun (beating the hell out of 20 guys is always fun) but the animations and the air juggling doesn't make it look too appealing.

Gregory

Banned
I tried it out today and for me it got boring quickly. The swinging is the best thing about the game but after a while it just gets tiresome. The fighting is a little too simplistic also. Feels very stiff.

Graphics are pretty simple, 30fps, but the city is pretty big.
It felt like a mix of GTA and Tony Hawk with all these mini-missions around the city, but much less fun.

Yikes, those videos sure make the game seem boring and pretty lame. And what's with the texutres? It looks like a Quake 2/3 engine game.

mattx5

I'm itching to buy a game to keep me occupied this summer, and a GTA style Spiderman would fit the bill nicely. Here's to hoping that the game turns out good.

I normally dont pimp XBox games but yea...if you can get it I highly recommend this game for X-Box. Having all the swing upgrades and swinging thru NY at nite is good times.

siege

Banned
Sucks that people on Gamefaqs have already completed the game in around 8 hours. Guess you can't really expect much longer playtime than that in games now (RPG's being the exception.)

Maybe I'll rent it. Tired of putting down 50 bucks for a game you can beat in 3 days.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
siege said:
Sucks that people on Gamefaqs have already completed the game in around 8 hours. Guess you can't really expect much longer playtime than that in games now (RPG's being the exception.)

Maybe I'll rent it. Tired of putting down 50 bucks for a game you can beat in 3 days.

Yeah, because 8 hours is so much shorter than the 60 minutes it would take to beat a good number of older games (8/16-bit era games). Games today are OH SO much longer than they were back then.

Yes, the 'this game's only X hours long.' thing is stupid. The vast majority of older games were also very short...often shorter than 8 hours. It was that the challenge was much greater and the games more replayable, in general that made games seem better/longer. Games, today, are far too easy and forgiving...not necessarily short. RPGs, on the other hand, are generally extremely bloated with 80% of the play-time dedicated to fighting the same enemies over and over and over...and spending time shopping and equipping over and over and over.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I live how the devs didn't chicken out when designing New York. Ground Zero is there. Loving the game so far! I think I've spent more time swinging around New York than actually completing missions.

spidey2_groundzero2.jpg

spidey2_groundzero1.jpg

Top Bottom