• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man out of the MCU after Homecoming 2 - Amy Pascal

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

I'm not sure why Disney and Maevel can't tear up that deal contract made almost two decades ago. Pay the money to settle it.

Same with Fox.

Because they can sue to block Disney from using the properties and Disney would just have wasted money.

The Kree

Banned
Yea when sony makes millions for doing nothing on the creative end they will make a deal for more films. It's free money.
I think Pascal got a producer credit here to save face and this statement seems an extension of that. If her bosses deem it sensible to keep this going, it will keep going regardless of what she says.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This seems like a case of the studio not counting their chickens before their hatched.

They're confident in 2017's Homecoming. They think it's going to be a hit, so they make sure a deal is in place for a Sequel in 2020. Anything past 2020 is quite a ways away, and there's no guarantee a third Spider-Man movie would be a hit for either Sony or Disney.

To me, it just sounds like deals aren't in place. We're talking about a movie 5 or 6 years away from now. Contracts will no doubt be negotiated for Tom Holland after Homecoming does big numbers. I wouldn't go crazy over this news. We have a long ways to go before it could be a problem, and that hinges on how good these next two Spider-Man movies are. Why fret about part 3 when part 1 hasn't even been released yet?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Civil War - 2016
Spider-Man: Homecoming - 2017
Avengers 3 - 2018
Avengers 4 - 2019.

I think four films with Spider-Man in a key role in four years suggests Marvel probably suspected this'd happen, and as such figured 'fuck it' and just pushed the character for all he was worth.

oh jeez, i forgot we get FIVE movies with this Parker. the last of which is a solo movie, presumably his send off from the MCU. gonna be god-tier.

Sponge

Banned
Thread title definitely needs a change. I read this as they just haven't signed the contracts to do more yet and won't if these movies don't do well.

Blader

What a weird arrangement. So after Homecoming 2, would the MCU Spider-Man just be implied to be continuing crimefighting offscreen, but never seen or mentioned onscreen again?

Thread title definitely needs a change. I read this as they just haven't signed the contracts to do more yet and won't if these movies don't do well.
Also this.
After 1 & 2 become their highest grossing Spidey films, I'm sure they'll sign on for another 2 movies and more crossovers.

That's not really what's in the OP though.

They most likely signed an agreement on that amount of movies and will have to renegotiate it when that comes. I don't think they'll reboot Spider-Man a 3rd time in 20 years, that would be dumb.

Patriots7

Yea when sony makes millions for doing nothing on the creative end they will make a deal for more films. It's free money.
Sony is funding this.
I seriously doubt Sony makes more on this than they did on past blockbusters, unless they were able to keep the costs down significantly from TASM2.

Also this is the biggest click-bait title in the world. Awful title. She literally just said they haven't planned anything past the sequel.

Sony Pictures Entertainment is about to get a brand new CEO in the next few months. Anything about their major franchises and large deals is pretty immature.

Blader

I don't get it. What are people mad about? This sounds like good press statement to me.

I think people assumed that Spider-Man in the MCU would be a permanent thing (or as permanent for as long as Marvel Studios made movies with Spider-Man in them), and not a time-limited deal that will expire in the next two years.

I did think it was weird though that Holland is apparently contracted for six movies, and Marvel and DC are going to burn through *five* of those within the span of three years. That seemed like a waste of a kid who, by age alone, you could get a lot of mileage out of over the long run. But if it was always meant to be a finite arrangement, that'd make sense as to why they'd run through them so quickly.

Holland is contracted for 3. Homecoming, the Sequel, Infinity Wars (prolly part 2).

I don't think Sony is gonna think they can make Spidey decent themselves and bounce after Homecoming does what I think it's gonna do.

I still hate them and want them to go away.

Under sony the license seems under utilized. Do they only have a license for the movie adaptation? Or do they other interactive media rights(video games basically)?

I don't understand why the Spider-man/MCU deal wasn't an indefinite thing. So what happens if this deal did end with Homecoming 2? The MCU would just never reference any Spider-man things again? The Homecoming Spider-man would never reference all the MCU stuff ever again? I don't see how that would work

duckroll

This is a bad clickbait headline and the reactions from people who cannot apply critical thinking is embarrassing. An executive is expressing positivity about a collaborative project and talking up the unique elements that made it come together. She says it might never happen again - as a way to emphasize how difficult it was for all the right pieces to fall into place to make this deal happen. Some fan site decides to grab it and spin it as a definitive statement of a future deal that has not been decided on yet. Zzzzzz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom