• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spike VGX 2013 |OT| DON'T BE CRANKY [Over]

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Yhh, yeah, guys, we think this show is gonna be great! BTW, sorry to say that so late but The Order 1886 trailer won't be ready for the show, again sorry about that..."

But that's OK. More room for adult diaper jokes. Can't believe some people are actually finding that guy's co-hosting anywhere near acceptable.

Joel making fun of Geofff was good he really put Geoff and Reggie on the spot that was funny. Other stuff not so much.

meta4

It's okay Derrick01, hating hip-hop, sampling, and electronic music isn't racist.

It's just the whitest opinion in the world.

There is nothing racist about hating that crap. Thank God Beethoven and other classical musicians were not alive to see music destroyed like this.

Vodh

Joel making fun of Geofff was good he really put Geoff and Reggie on the spot that was funny. Other stuff not so much.

Yeah, he was good for about 5% of the time he was in the spotlight. That's still pretty damn terrible, and when he wasn't in the good 5% of his performance, he was just plain embarrassing.

Silky

Banned
If it helps I don't consider all this electronic shit where you sit behind a computer and flip some switches music either. It's not a racial thing and you can try harder then using it as a crutch to defend something you like.

and no I didn't like that wailing that came on last either. I guess I'm not doing my duties as a white guy by saying that though.

pQJJNj3.jpg

There is nothing racist about hating that crap. Thank God Beethoven and other classical musicians were not alive to see music destroyed like this.

WOW IS THIS OT GAF

AM I IN OT GAF. MAN WE CLOWNIN OUT

Nerokis

Bullshit.

Same Love wasn't even the most powerful "real" track of that year.

Kendrick Lamar's "Swimming Pools (Drank)" is more real, more personal, and more powerful than anything Macklemore has ever done. And it's subversive as hell, because it's a fucking JAM, not some self-conscious, self-important verse over a protest song.

Same Love is a terrible song. Swimming Pools is a great song. And yes, there's almost definitely a racial (not necessarily racist) component to how people are defining "real issues."

uuugggh BROTHERS WAS HORRIBLE.

"Oh, Hi. Here are two brothers. Yup. Those guys. No effort was made to attach you to them in any meaningful way. Also the controls are wretched and the 'puzzles' can be solved by a newborn. Oh, look.
One of the brothers died.
Be sad.
Someone's brother dying
is sad, right? OK, then. Good thing we didn't have to put any actual effort into developing a relationship, and could rely solely on them being brothers."

IrishNinja

full retard.

classy! again though, i never once said you couldn't enjoy rap, or had to enjoy that particular performance.

Well, Jazz is thought as being part of black culture (especially from the roaring 20s...I believe), and no one says that's not music.

So, dunno about your argument. Be careful where you throw the race card.

you don't think back then when jazz had reached mainstream popularity that it ran into the same arguments? seriously? how about the blues (before it got ripped off wholesale)?

also: not really inclined to indulge the "race card" bit, to be honest.

omg please make it stop. In this thread I learned people are not allowed to dislike rap music.

again: disliking things (just like liking them!) is perfectly fine; entirely discrediting them isn't. i think that distinction is noteworthy.

ButchCat

I feel like I promptly need to be medically examined after seeing that. There is no way a normal person would go through that without fucking up a part of their brain.

Odrion

Banned
Acting really white doesn't mean you're being racist, guys.

Anyways, I'm out before things get really rough in here.

Lijik

Well, Jazz is thought as being part of black culture (especially from the roaring 20s...I believe), and no one says that's not music.

So, dunno about your argument. Be careful where you throw the race card.

The reason jazz got so popular in the 20s was because it was in the exact same position hip hop is now. It was "rebellious" music back then
You can bet people were calling it "not music" during that time

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
It's not bad.

Much like all genres of music and everything in life, some of it is.

I personally didn't like the performance, but I really dislike a lot of modern music in general, and I think that applies for a lot of people. They have some really excellent songs in GTA, especially in hip-hop, and they should have done them.

That was a truly...magical experience.

But, I will say this: ON PAPER it looked decent. So I mean, the thought process is in the right place. Perhaps look more within the industry next year. Get the Stelings and the Sesslers (just as an example) or what have you, to co-host perhaps.
I agree. Commend them for trying.

Sterling's live coverage was amazing.
https://twitter.com/JimSterling

If they're gonna do celebrities they should throw money at Stone and Parker. It seems those guys can do no wrong.

IrishNinja

People today don't like Jazz or something?

compared to back then? i'd imagine a lot fewer, yeah. which is a shame, jazz is awesome.

Actually, I learned that there is a big difference between saying "I hate this music" to say "This thing is not music".

The reason jazz got so popular in the 20s was because it was in the exact same position hip hop is now. It was "rebellious" music back then

thank you

maybe you were sleepwalking

..oh wow, hahaha

Replicant

well, that's fine; you can do the old dude yelling at clouds thing if you're so inclined - and yes, you've illustrated that you're willing to do it with other genres, so there's that. but much like how voting conservative by no means automatically make you a racist, there's some troubling venn diagram overlap there, if you're so bothered by it.

This is a music genre that frequently refers to black people as "N*****", gay people as "F*****" and women as "B****". Is it any wonder that they are not popular to at least several group of people by doing this? On top of that, some people are just not fond of the kind of rhythm that rap/hip hop songs tend to produce. But no, you just have to assume that people are racist because they don't like the kind of music genre you like.

Same Love is a terrible song. Swimming Pools is a great song. And yes, there's almost definitely a racial component to how people are defining "real issues."

I think the reason Macklemore is the only one saying anything, is because they hear, but don't really LISTEN to what others are saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom