• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Testfire Thread: This is a port...able game now

Fireblend

Banned
Dock+Joycons on pad > Portable mode > Dock+Split joycons

For me at least. That was a ton of fun, Splatoon is so good. Can't wait for it to actually release.

If anything the roller in the demo felt pretty weak, the special move complimented it very well though. Loved the improvements to the charger. Dualies didn't feel too powerful but I loved their mobility, it's very satisfying to pull off a stylish kill. Splattershot was a nice default weapon, nothing too special about it but it's very easy to use.

Pro controller felt perfect.

Jintor

splattershot was definitely the most boring splat2 i played. gotta test out the tentateks more, i was just firing them off like crazy.

inkzooker is also weird, i didn't get used to the curving yet - can't tell if it's more like a 'nade launcher or a rawket lawnchair.

bryanee

You'll be at a disadvantage if you ditch gyro controls, I urge you to try and learn them. It feels very natural after a few rounds and in my opinion rivals a mouse.

Nah. I was never at a disadvantage in the first game for not using the gyro. Always did perfectly fine.

Tsunamo

There are 2 maps in this testfire, did u only get 1
Oh for real? I only had the one pop-up, guess I got unlucky.

Hopefully I get the other one next session.
This thread is giving me Splatoon 1 Testfire OT vibes. <3
It's quite nostalgic.
How are folks feeling about the maps? These 2 seemed a little...generic to me.
Only played one but wasn't much of a fan. I'm sure the final release will have more variety in its maps just like the original.

TheOasis

The jetpack is extremely weak. I mean it's only practical use might be traversing elevations that you can't swim up the walls to get to.

Also, I liked that if you press a ABXY button or up, down, left and right on the Dpad while you're in the lobby waiting for a match the game plays sound clips of squid-like singing. Even better the left analogue stick can speed up or slow down the pacing of these sound clips while the right analogue distorts their sound. It's not as good as using the gamepad to play minigames in the lobby like in the first splatoon but I appreciate small details like this nonetheless.

They both had some nice verticality to them and I always felt like there was an exit strategy. They didn't really showcase the squid abilities to the best extent, there were few areas where climbing walls was beneficial. Not the best Splatoon maps but they were very well designed.

Jintor

skatepark was pretty much a rework of urchin underpass, but the climbing gym is interesting. Lot of uninkable surfaces, one set of grates you can fall through and one that's safe... i kept confusing them

bonesquad

Never played Splatoon (never had a Wii U), and so I lost 10 games before I was on the winning side. And won maybe two in total. Still, I can see why people like this game. The focus on painting, at least in this mode, is fun and gives me a chance to contribute. I may have to pick this up when it releases. Though that still depends a lot on Nintendo's online plans (and pricing).

iFirez

I enjoyed my hour with it, will play some more at tomorrow's times.

somescreenshotsItook said:
FuFla2d.jpg

0nkxnYM.jpg

bQ6lMkA.jpg

totowhoa

Banned
I only did the dualies and the splattershot but the specials seem a lot less straight forward this time around

Also I hate dualies

Also minor gripe, but i'm not much of a fan of the map the first Global Testfire session had, hopefully they rotate maps in the testfire like they do in the maingame, because the original had a great variety of them.

Map, as in singular? I swear I played 2, maybe 3 different maps? (might've played the same map from a different side)

But there was the rock climbing place, the skatepark/outside one + another if I recall.

Oh in splatoon, it's not worth painting walls right? just floors?

If you're just playing super casually, there's pretty much no need to ink walls, especially since they don't count towards your score. If you want to play somewhat seriously, walls offer good spots to ambush people when they don't expect it.

Shhh, the kids are here. Real squids know the truth.

2000 more hours of salty fun. &#128077;

Owensboro

So cut out all this BS about "you're not playing it right" or "you're lazy". Motion controls aren't for everyone, no matter if they put the time in or not.

Of course they're not for everyone, but it's almost a crime to not even give them a chance just because it's different. People playing 2 minutes and declaring them awful is just so sad :(

Nah. I was never at a disadvantage in the first game for not using the gyro. Always did perfectly fine.

This was mostly new players to Splatoon, of course you're going to do fine. Everyone is new to the game. It's when you get 30-40 hours in you'll wish you gave them a shot.

DKL

If you're just playing super casually, there's pretty much no need to ink walls, especially since they don't count towards your score. If you want to play somewhat seriously, walls offer good spots to ambush people when they don't expect it.

There's actually walls you can paint that allow you into the center, assuming you don't have control of it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Wow walls don't count for turf? It's little things like that that they could have just explained in the tutorial.

Also one big thing they need to fix in the full game is the ability to change loadout and options mid match.

EDarkness

I liked the gym map, but the other map I had more trouble with. Honestly, I'm not sure why. Would like to see more maps available to get a better feel for them as a whole. Without more maps to compare to I'm not sure what would be considered a bad map.

VanWinkle

I have to say, I wish the game felt and especially looked more like a sequel normally would. It looks quite literally exactly like the first game from a tech and art standpoint.

For a system that should be over 2x the power of the Wii U while docked, it is disappointing that it doesn't at all look 2x better.

This was my first time ever playing Splatoon. Two things: 1) I really suck and 2) that is so fun and addictive! I can totally see why this is so popular. When it ended, I was actually sad and really wanted to play more lol
I can't wait for the release so I can actually figure out how to play.

Tsunamo

Map, as in singular? I swear I played 2, maybe 3 different maps? (might've played the same map from a different side)

But there was the rock climbing place, the skatepark/outside one + another if I recall.
Yeah someone else noted that there was different maps before. Just got really unlucky with rotation it seems.

Ah well, least there's still a few more sessions to tryout the other maps :)

Robotguy

Wow walls don't count for turf? It's little things like that that they could have just explained in the tutorial.

Also one big thing they need to fix in the full game is the ability to change loadout and options mid match.
I haven't played 2, but Splat 1 didn't do a great job of explaining everything unfortunately.
:(

I have to say, I wish the game felt and especially looked more like a sequel normally would. It looks quite literally exactly like the first game from a tech and art standpoint.

For a system that should be over 2x the power of the Wii U while docked, it is disappointing that it doesn't at all look 2x better.

I think you may be misremembering the first game, Splatoon 2's textures are a big improvement and the character models in particular look a lot better. Beautiful reflections on their heads.

Top Bottom