• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 uses about 150MB of mobile data per hour while tethering

ngower

I wish it were but its getting a little annoying with how barebones the current sku is.
Maybe this thread isn't the right place for it so I'll leave

The phone is being used as a hotspot in lieu of a wi-fi connection. Either option works. This isn't your phone doing anything *for* the Switch, it's just serving as a connection to the internet.

Doesn't the Wii u version require more then most other games for its upload? It's why people have connection issues because it's sending so much sync data (guessing all the ink data)

I remember when living away from home i played gears of war 1 all night and it took about 120megabytes over a good 5+ hour session.

Aspiring

I'm so jealous of some you people. Here you are wondering if the mobile is quick enough and lag. Where as where I am its probably the quickest you can get haha.

The phone is being used as a hotspot in lieu of a wi-fi connection. Either option works. This isn't your phone doing anything *for* the Switch, it's just serving as a connection to the internet.
It could come with a 4g sim slot no?
I know what im talking about, 4g+tethering is counter intuitive and a pointless battery hog when this couldve been done from the awitch itself.
That and what happens of i get a call mid game?
Pretty sure network drops to 3g to accommodate non volte calls

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I know what im talking about, 4g+tethering is counter intuitive and a pointless battery hog when this couldve been done from the awitch itself.

lol,

so you want an LTE enabled Switch?

What a useless feature.

ngower

There's no need for it to come with a 4G slot...it isn't supposed to compete with tablets as a constantly networked device. The option for wi-fi tethering is there and, while a solution, probably not an ideal one. If Nintendo made some kind of data deal with a cellular carrier, they'd be getting panned for (a) increasing prices unnecessarily and (b) not providing an optimal network for online play on the go. Your criticism is so strangely barbed towards Nintendo.

KtSlime

I played a bunch of matches during the test fire, the average usage was just shy of 10mb per match. So 150mb per hour sounds about right since you can squeeze in about 15 matches in that time. I tested tethering using my iPhone on SoftBank G4.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Is that really low?

I feel like Dota2/League use about half that much and those matches last 30-60 minutes.

No, that's about the data rate. RTSes and games based off RTSes like Dota take less bandwidth because they use lockstep networking which is generally just networking the actually button/mouse presses and not the units themselves, so lower data usage.

With shooters it's asynch which requires more bandwidth, and that bandwidth goes up the more players there are in the game, regardless of dedicated servers or peer

So with tmobile one do i get unlimited or is it capped at 10gb? I see people bragging unlimited but i thought teathering was a different beast.

lol,

so you want an LTE enabled Switch?

What a useless feature.

Im not getting into this argument.
Nothing is more useless than nfc on a gaming console and Nintendo found it in their budget to put that in yet people find it ridiculous when people suggest it needed more internal memory or a sim slot, stuff that can actually enhance gaming or stuff like a browser or netflix that can enhance its value as a handheld.
In any case, my bad for raising this issue.
Im out. No amount of me fretting over it will change anything. Ill just wait and hope the revision comes with some of these. Ypu don't have to agree with me.

ngower

Nothing is more useless than nfc on a gaming console and Nintendo found it in their budget to put that in yet people find it ridiculous when people suggest it needed more internal memory or a sim slot, stuff that can actually enhance gaming or stuff like a browser or netflix that can enhance its value as a handheld.
Im out. No amount of me fretting over it will change anything. Ill just wait and hope the revision comes with some of these. Ypu don't have to agree with me.

Amiibo print money. Of course they're going to include an NFC reader in the console.

And you can wait all you want, but 4G isn't coming to the Switch.

Folks, I'm genuinely sorry to rain on the parade, because I do understand the idea of using your phone as a hotspot to play online on the go is pretty darn neat, but seriously, please avoid doing this.

No matter how well it looks and feels on your end, trust me, you will be lagging for other people, you will teleport and do silly stuff due to it on other people's end, and odds are you will run into other people doing the same and feel it too.

Splatoon already had to deal with a bunch of people with terrible connections getting away with a lot dumb stuff due to their lag, try to not increase that much more, for everyone's sake.

what the flying fuck are you talking about

Jacobson

what the flying fuck are you talking about

I really don't get what he's saying either. I'm playing Overwatch and Dota2 solely using my mobile data, and I get decent pings (90ms-110ms). it's not THAT bad. When I do get a bad connection I just don't play, period.

Onaco

Folks, I'm genuinely sorry to rain on the parade, because I do understand the idea of using your phone as a hotspot to play online on the go is pretty darn neat, but seriously, please avoid doing this.

No matter how well it looks and feels on your end, trust me, you will be lagging for other people, you will teleport and do silly stuff due to it on other people's end, and odds are you will run into other people doing the same and feel it too.

Splatoon already had to deal with a bunch of people with terrible connections getting away with a lot dumb stuff due to their lag, try to not increase that much more, for everyone's sake.

My LTE is more stable than most Wifi.

KtSlime

You are very wrong about NFC, discounting the Amiibos, it opens up a completely new avenue for game purchases. In Japan just about everyone, including kindergarteners, have an NFC/FeliCa card to use public transportation. While the feature is not yet enabled on the Switch, both the New3DS and Wii U are capable of making purchases using a standard NFC/FeliCa enabled card such as SUICA/PASMO/IOACA, etc.

This is far more important, everyone with a smartphone already has free tethering in Japan. So there is no reason to put in cellular connectivity hardware in the Switch.

I tried using my iphones hotspot on att and it would never connect to a game for some reason. I blame att. Rebooted both my phone and switch. Hotspot worked fine for surfing.

Bluth54

Yep. https://twitter.com/octobyte_/status/845707555020124160

i mean, 150 mb is about 10 mb per a match and if you do the math for the required kbps it's about half of splatoon 1's upload speed requirement/consumption so it checks out.

That's just awful and should be the real news story. I assume that's probably going to be the final tick rate since the whole point of the Splatoon test weekends is server stress test, if they were going with a higher tick rate it would have been implemented to properly test the servers.

NeOak

Interesting. That's really cool to be able to do this without any issues of using a phone as a hotspot. Future is here.

I was watching Netflix on the 360 by tethering on AT&T with a Symbian phone on their unlimited dumbphone data plan in 2008.

It was faster than my DSL at the time. And yes, my wallet was raped when I bought the damn Wi-Fi adapter.

That's just awful and should be the real news story. I assume that's probably going to be the final tick rate since the whole point of the Splatoon test weekends is server stress test, if they were going with a higher tick rate it would have been implemented to properly test the servers.

Why it's awful? There was absolutely no problems for me when I played in the test. If everything works, what does it matter?

My brothers play online on PS4 (filthy casuals, I know...) and both of them use their phones, I believe. Or they have one of those "get Internet for your phone and home" -deals. I don't know. They are not rich, so they are not paying too much for their Internet any way. And they are pretty damn good players, wrecking it online in Battlefield and NHL.

Ping is not a problem, or lag spikes. If you provider's connections are good, you are getting a really fast Internet access for a fraction of a price of a landline.

No-Country-for-Old-Men_Tommy-Lee-Jones_Josh-Brolin_Javier-Bardem_9.jpg

71VflcLmaVL._SX425_.jpg

Completely dropped in future models. Why would anyone buy a more expensive sku and the have to pay for a separate data plan when they can just tether to their phone?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So that's why all the carriers in the US have gone unlimited!

Jesus it's a fucking bloodbath between these corporations trying to get the consumer money

Who knew competition would be good!

tsundoku

Interesting data.

It's in the OP?

"And it’s not just the relatively low data usage, it’s that the game works really well over a smartphone connection. I didn’t notice any lagging or rubber-banding. I was able to keep up with the competition, and I was regularly getting twice as many kills as deaths."

Thats how lag works in Splatoon, everything is daisies and you're shooting people who stop all the time and walk out from around walls with the guns down, and on everyone else's screen you shoot them from behind walls and when you hit your squid button you disappear from the world and all bullet collision and happily swim through ink that no one else can see and re appear at your destination

extralite

Why do you insist on paying twice for something you already have? The Switch hardware would become more expensive and you'd have to pay for another dataplan. There is no point having these if your phone already takes care of it.

Nintendo gets it. People like their smartphones. So instead of competing with it for user time, they formed a partnership. Switch and smartphone complement each other. Switch does console level games, on a decent size screen and proper controllers. The smartphone does internet and messaging.

PantsuJo

There are countries (like Italy here) where the norm is 5/6 GB per month so this isn't a good news.

It's good only for unlimited data plans. Good for them.

duckroll

Nintendo gets it. People like their smartphones. So instead of competing with it for user time, they formed a partnership. Switch and smartphone complement each other. Switch does console level games, on a decent size screen and proper controllers. The smartphone does internet and messaging.

I don't think this sounds as smart as you think it does, when you consider that the smartphone becomes a burden once the Switch is docked. There's really no excuse for the Switch not handling everything natively even if a smartphone companion app is useful on the go.

With regards to 4G though, I agree. There is no real reason for the Switch to support it because it's a wasted cost. Consumers already showed that they don't care for it when given the choice in the Vita.

D.Lo

There are countries (like Italy here) where the norm is 5/6 GB per month so this isn't a good news.

It's good only for unlimited data plans. Good for them.
Yeah that sucks, you'll only be able to play 40 hours of Splatoon a month on that plan.

You realise the point is you only need this for when there is no wifi? Anyone planning on only using 4G to play online will probably organize something else.

Top Bottom