• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon - Nintendo's next smash bros?

sfried

But that's disregarding that those players don't necessarily have a Wii U

They same people who wanted to play Super Smash Bros. on HD. They'll get a WiiU provided its a solid game.

Anyways, the game does tout a more urban feel, and those labeling the looks as "kiddy" simply because of the lack of blood are morons.

But that's disregarding that those players don't necessarily have a Wii U

From now on all Nintendo can hope for is to cultivate a new playerbase going into the next generation. One that actually cares for their design philosophy, and not force them to play their oldies, like jaded Metallica fans.

Splatoon alone is just one step in that direction, but they'll need to do a lot more than that, but if it's a sign of how they're going about new games then I am looking forward to the next years.

Lumyst

Lol, what? While I completely agree that there's very little to almost no overlap with the CoD/GTA crowd, TF2 is played by a lot of people who don't like the grittiness of such games, and Splatoon is bound to have a lot of overlap with that crowd. Not having guns and knives does not make Splatoon a game targeted at kids.

I think Nintendo is making Splatoon for WiiU owners who may be interested in competitive multiplayer games, and to ensure that those players keep on engaging with their WiiU's. So I think the OP is correct to wonder about whether the people who are playing Super Smash Bros. will see something appealing in Splatoon, because I think it's ultimately a test of whether there are indeed Nintendo customers who are willing to try something new that should appeal to them, something that appears to be tailor made for their tastes.

It is my fear though that as us Nintendo customers have gotten older, some of us have got our favorite series and stick to those instead of putting a premium on trying things that are new. Like, I'm sure some of those Zelda fans who wanted voice acting and a big adventure and a more mature story and whatnot would have enjoyed Xenoblade if they played that game. That's what I discovered after I played it, but I literally didn't know about that game until after I finished Skyward Sword. Likewise, I think people playing SSB and Mario Kart, those who like Nintendo's competitive series, would probably enjoy Splatoon. In the last two years I've personally had to readjust my mindset to be more open to valuing new experiences more than those I'm used to. In that regard, gaming has gotten even more exciting for me, and the quirkier and weirder something is, the more exciting it can be, haha :p I hope Nintendo can get that "game recommendation" mechanism they've mentioned during investor's events in place so people who are likely to enjoy something new will be motivated to actually try it.

gtj1092

So what? It is aimed at people who don't feel the need to play shooters in order to prove their maturity to their pubescent peers. Aimed at children or not, both TF2 and Splatoon provide a shooter that focuses on tight gameplay, and style, not power wish fulfilment for 14 to 24 year olds.

Splatoon is aimed at people who value gameplay over presentation, thus why I personally expect this game to bomb.

So only Nintendo can save us from a world devoid of gameplay and raging teenagers. You've done quite a bit of psychoanalysis on people who don't like the same games as you and may or not play games for different reasons than you. I think most COD players value the gameplay very much.

Meesh

Wasn't at all even interested in Splatoon until the latest direct with the reveal of the shopping hub and customization bit, cautiously waiting for more...

So only Nintendo can save us from a world devoid of gameplay and raging teenagers. You've done quite a bit of psychoanalysis on people who don't like the same games as you and may or not play games for different reasons than you. I think most COD players value the gameplay very much.

Careful, might hurt yourself building that strawman.

test_account

XP-39C²
Oops. Good call.

So back on the sales note, as a community we have to ask ourselves, is the kinds of game/risks we want Nintendo to make/take?

By that I mean:
- Brand new IP: characters, art style, gameplay, etc..
- Created by younger devs: not burdened by the traditionalist views
- AAA quality: full online/offline, hub world, customization and leveling system, multiple game modes including dedicated campaign, etc

Me personally? I think its a sign of things to come; modern features on top of refreshingly new gameplay spearheaded by the younger guys. I mean it's in the Mario Kart 8 release slot, this means that Nintendo is pulling all the stops to make this work (that's huge!!!! It's not a Miyamoto baby but something completely different)

So, minor complaints aside, the organizational shift this game shows at Nintendo should be a breath of fresh air for the "meh. Nintendo always going to Nintendo" crowd.
I didnt see anything wrong with what you mentioned earlier just to mention that. I just wanted to point out that if there was to be a discussion about the game design itself, then the other thread might be more fitting :)

That seems unlikely.
Why do you think that the game is that popular if its not for the gameplay (also known as, 'the game being fun to play')?

Eliseo

It's not, and I think anyone who thinks it'll be that big is delusional. Quote me after it actually releases all you want if I'm wrong and I'll eat crow, this game just doesn't look like something with mass appeal. I will say that it looks like a blast to play and something I'm picking up day 1. Just not a multiplayer phenomenon on the tier of Smash and Kart.

hehehe =D.

13ruce

Banned
It's not, and I think anyone who thinks it'll be that big is delusional. Quote me after it actually releases all you want if I'm wrong and I'll eat crow, this game just doesn't look like something with mass appeal. I will say that it looks like a blast to play and something I'm picking up day 1. Just not a multiplayer phenomenon on the tier of Smash and Kart.
CbZSyId.jpg

Time for some well baked crow cuz Splatoon is a new huge Nintendo IP. And by the looks of it 2 is even gonna outsell the first one. So enjoy some nice well cooked crow i heard it sounds delicious.

Wrong thread my bad for the bump
I don't believe it, this was intentionally planned:p The old reactions are worth a read tho!

Top Bottom