• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon singleplayer campaign announced

atr0cious

No matter how good the game looks or how interesting the mechanics are, I'm always left with one final opinion on the game: It is going to tank, hard.

When this game tanks, it's going to be a sad day indeed.
Don't grab immediately for the worst opinion. It's a brand new ip by Nintendo, and if they're actually marketing it, if it fails, who gives a shit. But if you are gonna preempt any attempt with negativity, your lame attempt to look prescient, actually feeds the attitude of negativity that does cause games to fail.

Unless you're on the marketing team and are gonna be working your ass off to make the game a hit, there should be no reason why you aren't celebrating something that could turn out to be great for us as consumers.

noonche

I wasn't sold on it from the MP stuff I saw, but some of that single player footage looked wild. I'm looking forward to this now.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
No matter how good the game looks or how interesting the mechanics are, I'm always left with one final opinion on the game: It is going to tank, hard.

Nintendo is promoting it quite intesively. At the expos in second half of 2014 was generally a center piece together with SSB although it is still quite far away. In the last Direct was the big finale. I'm quite sure Nintendo will promote this heavily as their big mid-year title and it will take MK8 spot as a May release next year.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Man, this game really looks fun as hell. Too bad I didn't know EAD was actually developing it, otherwise I would have played it E3.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Agreed! It's incredibly refreshing to see so much diversity. :)

I don't remember where I got them from, but I've uploaded them to abload.de for your convenience -- click each image to see it at full size:

You know, I was always wanted my inkling to have headphones for my look, but seeing that cap makes me want my black inkling with cap, I'd look fly as fuck

-MB-

Don't grab immediately for the worst opinion. It's a brand new ip by Nintendo, and if they're actually marketing it, if it fails, who gives a shit. But if you are gonna preempt any attempt with negativity, your lame attempt to look prescient, actually feeds the attitude of negativity that does cause games to fail.

Unless you're on the marketing team and are gonna be working your ass off to make the game a hit, there should be no reason why you aren't celebrating something that could turn out to be great for us as consumers.

And that is exactly the reason for a lot of these "gonna bomb" posts, to create an atmosphere of failure well before release, leading to the actual failure of said title at retail.

So, we know there'll be a single player campaign, local-multi, and 8-player online. I'm sure we're getting some kind of story in the single player, but I wonder how long and involved it will be if the devs consider the online mode the core of the game. Something about 8 hours long would be nice.

I thought it was made by Paon or some other shitty C-tier dev.

So, you thought it looked like a shitty C-tier dev's game when you saw it, but now you know it's by EAD you want to play it?

Oblivion

Now you know you "need to" next time something like this happens :D

Indeed. In retrospect, I probably should have known something was up considering Splatoon was getting the most crowded number of players besides SSB4.

So, you thought it looked like a shitty C-tier dev's game when you saw it, but now you know it's by EAD you want to play it?

Yes, and you would have done the same if you were in my shoes.

DaBoss

I can only see a mini-map being implemented for an asymmetrical co-op scenario, and I can't see how that would work well with a 4 vs 4 online match-up rather than a 1 v 1 local like we're supposed to be getting. But since we don't actually know anything about that yet, It's all up to speculation •_•
I was thinking like in CoD, Battlefield, and many other FPS/3PS games how they have a mini-map of the immediate vicinity. With a full map being there within a button press.

I'm mostly talking from my experience with shooters and Wii U games that use gamepad. Looking down to the gamepad and then back takes quite a bit of time, and especially with the way Splatoon would require you to use one of your hands to use the touch screen to choose a player/spawn to transport to, during which time you won't see what is going on in the main screen.

You're right, it is all speculation right now.
Yes, and you would have done the same if you were in my shoes.
I know I wouldn't if I were in your shoes. Watching the initial trailer got me excited about the game.

TheMoon

I'm mostly talking from my experience with shooters and Wii U games that use gamepad. Looking down to the gamepad and then back takes quite a bit of time, and especially with the way Splatoon would require you to use one of your hands to use the touch screen to choose a player/spawn to transport to, during which time you won't see what is going on in the main screen.

As far as I know the "teleport" thing only works from the base after you respawn so you can get right back into the action. Not sure about that though. Still, even if it works anytime, just ZL to squid and hide in your ink for the 2 seconds it takes you to look down!

hatchx

Banned

In a sense, every game on WiiU tanks.

I think this game will sell atleast on par with Hyrule Warriors, which will probably hit 500-750k worldwide sales.

Wonderful101 is the real bomba. Did it even sell 150k worldwide? Splatoon will do much better than W101.

Oblivion

But why on earth would you think that in the first place when there are zero indicators that it might be.

Well I was watching the Direct (or whatever it was) at E3 and when they introduced Splatoon, I didn't recognize the 3 people who were presenting it so I figured it was from some lower level developer. After that I immediately turned my attention away until the presentation was over. It didn't help that it came right after the Yarn Yoshi presentation so I figured it was another one of Nintendo's little quirky partnerships with some third party studio.

In the end I didn't wind up figuring out what the deal was until long after E3 was over, so you can't really blame me.

?oe?oe

Well I was watching the Direct (or whatever it was) at E3 and when they introduced Splatoon, I didn't recognize the 3 people who were presenting it so I figured it was from some lower level developer. After that I immediately turned my attention away until the presentation was over. It didn't help that it came right after the Yarn Yoshi presentation so I figured it was another one of Nintendo's little quirky partnerships with some third party studio.

In the end I didn't wind up figuring out what the deal was until long after E3 was over, so you can't really blame me.

Yoshi was at the beginning, Splatoon was at the end.

Anyway, shame on you!

Javier

For what I understand, the two directors were designers for previous EAD games (Wii and Animal Crossing series I think). They were both promoted to director status for this game.

Azure J

You know, I was always wanted my inkling to have headphones for my look, but seeing that cap makes me want my black inkling with cap, I'd look fly as fuck

I'm faced with a similar dilemma here.

Come to think of it, this is made by a good bit of the Animal Crossing folks, right? I have a feeling we're going to get some ridiculously in depth custom options.

Edit: I really hate the underlying tides of "guaranteed bomba" that people have started to stir up in Splatoon discussions here out of the blue.

For what I understand, the two directors were designers for previous EAD games (Wii and Animal Crossing series I think). They were both promoted to director status for this game.

You're close, but I think you're mistaking Nogami for a director.

Tsubasa Sakaguchi
(Director) - 1st time director, worked as a designer on various projects from Twilight Princess to the 3DS menu to New Super Luigi U.

Yusukue Amano (Director) - Directed NSMB2 on 3DS and co-directed Big Brain Academy on the Wii. Also worked on NSMBWii, Star Fox 64 3D.

Hisashi Nogami (Producer at EAD Group 2) - Before becoming a producer, he directed all the Animal Crossing games up to and including City Folk.

Interesting way of looking at things. To me, seeing new faces being put out front instead of the usual suspects tends to attract my attention more. Particularly with a big company like Nintendo with some very notable developers, to see them having young talent in charge of a new game is very interesting.

That's a valid concern but I think that relates to the main campaign only. The multiplayer aspect will have much more variety.

Amiibo Integration

For sure, Amiibo characters in squid suits will join the Spatoon multiplayer paintball party. Mario, Luigi, Rosalina, Donkey Kong, Villager and all those Nintendo characters will help sell this game. Note that these are just skins that can be integrated easily, unlike the difficulty of adding characters in Smash where they have tons of unique moves.

DLC and Stage Builder

Mario, Zelda and Pikmin stages. Think of the possibilities here.

Miis

Edited to add this one.

Battlechili

Banned
Wonderful! I have a hard time enjoying something that's multiplayer only. I usually play games alone, so this is great news!

DizzyCrow

That's a valid concern but I think that relates to the main campaign only. The multiplayer aspect will have much more variety.

Amiibo Integration

For sure, Amiibo characters in squid suits will join the Spatoon multiplayer paintball party. Mario, Luigi, Rosalina, Donkey Kong, Villager and all those Nintendo characters will help sell this game. Note that these are just skins that can be integrated easily, unlike the difficulty of adding characters in Smash where they have tons of unique moves.

DLC and Stage Builder

Miis

Edited to add this one.
Man, if Nintendo do things right, I think this game could be as huge as Mario Kart and Smash Bros. One can only hope, but I'll be there day one.

Zero²

Man, if Nintendo do things right, this game could be as huge as Mario Kart and Smash Bros. One can only hope, but I'll be there day one.
Well Amiibo and DLC are a given at this point, the only real doubt it the stage builder.
Lets remember that Splatoon will take MK8 spot on the release calendar, so that must mean something about the pressure that Nintendo will make for this game to succeed.

Oh shit, those are Vans Slip-Ons! GOTY

51pDjlCkowL._SY395_.jpg

Splatoon, sponsored by Vans!
With Vans, you will never slip on any goo on the ground.
Made of high quality material that will wash out any harsh stains like paint easily without effort.
Vans! They will fit any size feet and tentacle.
It's Vans. A squid's choice.

I am so sorry.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.

Amiibo Integration

DLC and Stage Builder

Miis

Edited to add this one.

Sorry but ew to all of this except the stage builder. Splatoon is its own thing. I think the concept is strong enough to stand on its own. Amiibo integration will be there but not with DK in a squid hat. Scanning an amiibo will likely unlock accessories for inklings to wear, like DK's tie. Not to mention the wide variety of body shapes, sizes and movement of N's established characters they can't just be a skin. Most characters would have to be made from scratch. Adding a character as wide as DK or as tall as Peach will affect game balance as well, they couldn't realistically have the same hitboxes as an inkling. Other franchise stages would be unfitting next to splatoons take on real world locations/themes. A stage builder would be amazing but it's much more complicated than a SSB stage or Mario Maker. I don't think Nintendo game design principles would allow it.

I just think it would be sad to see a new IP with it's own style get smothered by established franchises.

I'll make an exception for the Mario amiibo though. Scan him in and he appears with fludd to clean up!

Amiibo Integration

DLC and Stage Builder

Miis

Edited to add this one.
I can see Amiibo costumes since the multiplayer characters seem very customizable

Mory Dunz

In a sense, every game on WiiU tanks.

I think this game will sell atleast on par with Hyrule Warriors, which will probably hit 500-750k worldwide sales.

Wonderful101 is the real bomba. Did it even sell 150k worldwide? Splatoon will do much better than W101.

I really doubt this.
Unless they do something crazy...and advertise it.

Man, if Nintendo do things right, I think this game could be as huge as Mario Kart and Smash Bros. One can only hope, but I'll be there day one.

Yes, I'm hoping for the best, too! There is tremendous opportunity here. Racing is to Mario Kart, fighting is to Smash Bros. and shooter is to Splatoon,

Unlocking outfits would be better than unlocking characters.

A game with emo-like characters (I personally adore them but not everybody does) will not sell as much as a game with lots of well-known animated figures. This game needs Nintendo characters screaming and shouting or else it will get boring quickly.

Well Amiibo and DLC are a given at this point, the only real doubt it the stage builder.

Kids today demand that they allow to create things in their games (Minecraft, Unturned, etc.) so having a simple level editor using crates, ladders and basic walls will add to Splatoon's popularity.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm faced with a similar dilemma here.

Come to think of it, this is made by a good bit of the Animal Crossing folks, right? I have a feeling we're going to get some ridiculously in depth custom options.

Edit: I really hate the underlying tides of "guaranteed bomba" that people have started to stir up in Splatoon discussions here out of the blue.

I think some people come in purposely saying something is bomba inorder to put it in people's minds giving it a atmosphere that it will bomb, therefore it shall.

I think some people come in purposely saying something is bomba inorder to put it in people's minds giving it a atmosphere that it will bomb, therefore it shall.

Or people say it's going to bomb because they're cynical about the state of the video game industry when it comes to new IP's chances, or people are trying to guilt trip people who always complain about no new IP to actually follow through.

Anyways I'm predicting it's not going to sell well, but will become a cult hit that people 10 years from now will be facepalming that they didn't get it when it came out when they were younger.

On the bright side I hope to get my casual relatives into it (should be easy since it's multiplayer), I successfully got two cousins, my three sisters, and my brother-in-law to become huge Pikmin fans despite all of them thinking the game looked dumb at the start.

Crayolan

I'm just gonna give my two cents and say I think this game is gonna sell well. Nintendo seems to be pushing this to the forefront in their directs (it was their closer both at E3 and in the recent direct) and I think they want this to be their 2nd biggest game of 2015 (1st being Zelda).

It has the potential to be a big hit even in the current market--it's colorful, unique, has single and multiplayer, and is a shooter which is still one of the most popular genres nowadays (though maybe not on Nintendo consoles). Plus, the reception for this game so far has been overwhelmingly positive. I just can't see them sending this out to die, in fact, I think they're going to market the shit out of this game.

As for amiibo integration, I think they'll want the inklings to stand on their own as characters, so instead of awkwardly sticking other Nintendo characters into the Splatoon universe I'm guessing they'll give us costume items like "Mario's Hat", "DK's tie", or "Samus's Arm Cannon."

Top Bottom