• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon singleplayer campaign announced

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Reminds me so much of Dreamcast games. Just hitting all the right notes for me personally.

I was thinking about this earlier, Splatoon is like everything I like about classic Sega games crossed with everything I like about Nintendo games.

Are the Octopus not wearing pants.

MHZrpgG.jpg

The game creators really have an opportunity here. They had a great concept with the multiplayer, but if they really let their creative juices flow with a mix of shooter elements and puzzle elements similar to Portal 1 and 2, this could be a fantastic game.

Nia

This will be tough. Octopuses have always been my favorite animals. Down with Squids I suppose.

So ready for this one to rock my socks. Clarification, though, they had a big emphasis in the direct on the idea of this being a primarily "online" multiplayer game. Have they elaborated any more on the local multiplayer since E3? Last I heard it was going to be this self contained one-on-one affair that would play out a bit differently from the full 4v4 online mode. Shame as this seems ripe for splitscreen.

So ready for this one to rock my socks. Clarification, though, they had a big emphasis in the direct on the idea of this being a primarily "online" multiplayer game. Have they elaborated any more on the local multiplayer since E3? Last I heard it was going to be this self contained one-on-one affair that would play out a bit differently from the full 4v4 online mode. Shame as this seems ripe for splitscreen.

The trouble is that a big part of the game is the ability to instantly jump across the map to where your teammates are by using the pad at any time, as well as seeing the map and the ink coverage at any time.

However there are always solutions for this...hold down a certain button and the screen changes to what you would've seen on the pad, and can select an ally to jump to. But that doesn't feel to me like something Nintendo would do...they'll insist there was no other good way to make it local multiplayer, the pad was just that crucial, or something.

DaBoss

I can see them putting a translucent overlay of the map on the screen that you can move a cursor or something to choose a player to transport to. I don't recall there being any other place you can transport to. Maybe the spawn point.

I can see that working for non-Gamepad controllers.

Aizo

Banned
Wow. I really don't like multiplayer only games, but this was the first game in a long time I was wanting to play like that. I was already sold, but now there is single player? Can't wait.

Effect

It's also nice to see a little bit more diversity in the Inklings than in the E3 build. I know some people were concerned.

Can't express how happy that made me when I saw the skin tones of the characters in the new trailer. That was the one thing that was bothering me regarding the E3 footage and I'm really glad that's been addressed.

The game looks amazing and can't wait to play. This is was an amazing direct.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Am I the only one who thinks the octopi with tentacles for bodies look a lot like the Rabbids from Ubisoft games?

Wouldn't be the first time... The Minions are actually from a French company that straight up ripped the Rabbids.

Miyamoto likes the Rabbids too

Gartooth

I was interested in this after E3, but now I'm fully hyped for this game. It just oozes so much personality in its mechanics and art.

tkscz

They look a lot like Doug TenNapel creations, the guy who made Earthworm Jim, Neverhood and Armikrog.

0ieep8W.jpg

mABAy6c.jpg

Was watching with my cousin and the first thing he says is they look like Earthworm Jim. They do have that TenNapel look to them though.

So: I don't know if anyone here follows the small community surrounding science fiction in print, but years ago there was a running joke about Squidpunk, a send-up of the growing spate of neologisms splitting off from cyberpunk and steampunk and all the other nascent subgenres that claimed the suffix -punk. The author and editor Jeff Vandermeer (whose latest work, The Southern Reach Trilogy, is stupendous, by the way) took it upon himself to propose a joke anthology under the banner of his Squidpunk Manifesto:

Fiction that unlike New Weird, Steampunk, or Slipstream, is at its core not only about squid, but about the symbolism of squid as color-changing, highly-mobile, alien-looking, intelligent ocean-goers. As a powerful ecosystem indicator, the squid is a potent symbol for environmental rejuvenation. Squidpunk is almost exclusively set at sea and must contain some reference to either cephalopods or to anything that thematically relates to squid, in terms of world iconography and tropes. Squidpunk is never escapist or whimsical. It is always serious and edgy. This combination of a hard punk aesthetic with the fluid propulsion system common to the squid has produced a unique literary hybrid beloved by Mundanes and Surrealists alike.

Now look what Nintendo hath wrought.

Anyway, I like the term and I hope it sticks. There really is no better way to describe Splatoon.

Nap1400

Notice how her hair color and eye color are different, unlike all the other Inklings. She's probably special somehow.

Though I thought orange was their go-to mascot color? Eh, might've just been all the fan art.

Man looking at this game reminds me of the "good ol days" Anyone else feeling that? Even kinda nostalgic?

Most def. There's been a general dearth in distinctly Japanese feeling games for a very long time now. As everyone's already mentioned, I just get Dreamcast vibes from this game. It's been my most wanted title since they showed it off at E3

Top Bottom