• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Spoilers] Resident Evil 7 Demo: "There's More, Right?" Edition

DSix

Banned
work backwards
what would capcom do

I honestly think putting numbers as a clue for the order of the sequence would be a legit idea.
Thing is, though, if it was simply a case of sequence order, someone would have found the solution by luck. I think there is more to it than that.

As a dev, how could you make such a mystery that nobody would stumble upon the solution by accident?

KingBroly

Banned
work backwards
what would capcom do

Release it without it being finished? Some think it is.

It just feels like something's missing at this point. If there was some kind of item order, I feel like someone would've stumbled upon it already. It also feels too restrictive in terms of what you can and cannot do.

Arkeband

Banned
Release it without it being finished? Some think it is.

It just feels like something's missing at this point. If there was some kind of item order, I feel like someone would've stumbled upon it already. It also feels too restrictive in terms of what you can and cannot do.

I'm also getting the feeling that if we're missing something, it's morse code or some other pattern matching that requires some real world skills that most gamers wouldn't possess.

Basically all of the new stuff I've found or been able to document personally since the spinning gear at basically day one seems to be glitches. I'm not sure I believe the various audio issues in the tape segment have any meaning.

The only thing I think that I've yet to see a decent explanation for are the stars on the kitchen floor. Maybe they point to something? Why is there another symbol on one of the points of each star?

The spinning icon is pretty mysterious too, but I just have a feeling it doesn't signify anything right now. The only explanation I've thought of is a little too much on the absurd side.

Edit: I haven't seen any discussion but a short mention about the banging at the beginning of the tape. I have also heard it a few times, but I think I've heard it randomly throughout the house in that segment as well. Not 100% sure of this.

Soulflarz

Banned
Not this much work certainly.
lol

As a dev, how could you make such a mystery that nobody would stumble upon the solution by accident?

this is my fear.
They had to have made something so ridiculously restrictive against stumble-upons that it had to have been an instruction you find that links to something else with detailed instructions (ie- turn volume to 8, aim assist on, then play the piano after activating the killer by the phone) or something just as silly, because there is no way a fully natural puzzle would not have been stumbled upon by now

We need the naval officers to get back to us on the morse code. This is important!

Isn't it too short and repeating?

Dalto11

Push the mannequin through the barricaded doorway. There is room at the bottom.
Actually that door is the ONLY door that you can push physical objects through. And you can only push it in as deep as the traditional rectangular cell swap that the other rooms have this tells me that there's NOT a room there and here's why - Every single door that can be opened or interacted with you CANNOT push physical items through. This includes the barricaded door on the third floor, which is now confirmed to have a room behind it. The broken door downstairs still may not have a room behind it, but the door is intractable so it still won't let physical objects clip it.

If you want an example of what I mean when I say a rectangular cell swap, push one of the upstairs crates into the kitchen until it disappears and then step back. You'll see that this rectangular area still instances objects from the previous rooms. You can see this same instance situation going up the stairs to the attic as the color grading changes and the 2F lamp stops giving off light. Going two cells away respawns physical objects as well.

I've done a lot of toying around with the game to find glitches and manipulations of the engine to get into that attic room.

If anyone manages to get the attic door to respawn please document your play through, though I feel it's random. Also, try pushing a crate in there and see if it goes all the way in or if it just stops where the door would be.

If anyone has any other thoughts or tests as to how the game engine works please post them.

Isn't it too short and repeating?

When I slowed it down, I just saw "QX" repeating over and over again.

I'm not any kind of expert and I have no training or experience outside of games and little puzzles, but I feel like it's pretty easy for anyone to look at it slowed way down and see that it's 2-3 letters at most before repeating.

It's a little hard to say because of the inconsistencies in the way it lights up. I see long pulses, flickers, and one time a cycle, it simply dims a little before lighting back up.

Disgraced

slowbeef got a close shot of the ghost girl.

1w6kYOS.png

Keihart

Actually that door is the ONLY door that you can push physical objects through. And you can only push it in as deep as the traditional rectangular cell swap that the other rooms have this tells me that there's NOT a room there and here's why - Every single door that can be opened or interacted with you CANNOT push physical items through. This includes the barricaded door on the third floor, which is now confirmed to have a room behind it. The broken door downstairs still may not have a room behind it, but the door is intractable so it still won't let physical objects clip it.

If you want an example of what I mean when I say a rectangular cell swap, push one of the upstairs crates into the kitchen until it disappears and then step back. You'll see that this rectangular area still instances objects from the previous rooms. You can see this same instance situation going up the stairs to the attic as the color grading changes and the 2F lamp stops giving off light. Going two cells away respawns physical objects as well.

I've done a lot of toying around with the game to find glitches and manipulations of the engine to get into that attic room.

If anyone manages to get the attic door to respawn please document your play through, though I feel it's random. Also, try pushing a crate in there and see if it goes all the way in or if it just stops where the door would be.

If anyone has any other thoughts or tests as to how the game engine works please post them.

Good stuff, i think this is our best bet at this point, if someone can glitch inside that room or get any extra details about it we might glimpse at what to do...or we might not, but at this point every theory has just crashed, and everything that should be clues seems to lead nowhere.

The finger, the missing audio, The Axe, the spinning simbol, the stars on the floor even...the most obvious hints are all leading us nowhere.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Its interesting how he was staring at her before she appeared. Proves the appearances are timed and not dependent on your view area. Also completely random if you cant replicate that exact same scenario.

Roscoe182

Does anyone have a screenshot of the stars on the kitchen floor?

no because they are of no importance. they are crudely drawn stars that look like they were done by a kid.

same with the finger we have fingered the house that we can access so far and it does nothing YET. if we can use it its not in the section of the demo we are on.

and the box in the secret passage it cant be moved

the boxes that have the red writing on seem to just be a reused asset, could they be an indicator possibly.is there 1 in the fone room ? if not then its probably just an asset repeated

this thread is moving backward with newer ppl coming in and not taking the time to dash back a few pages.

i desperately want to finish this demo i really do think there is more to it but the thread is being slowed down by things we have tested since page 1.

the number sequence seem pretty logical and easily overlooked IMHO

Roscoe182

Its interesting how he was staring at her before she appeared. Proves the appearances are timed and not dependent on your view area. Also completely random if you cant replicate that exact same scenario.

i do think this would make sense otherwise we would have a bigger window of opportunity to do/see something.

i think she is just for spoop factor.

One question if the people getting missing audio in the tape are still in the thread.

I got missing audio one time, but I've been able to replicate the first conversation happening in the pause menu 4-5 times. After you unpause, the audio either continues playing desynced or is completely missing if you wait for it all in the pause screen. Had anyone else seen that?

You can also see Peter's head in the static, which is a little weird since the section starts with you looking into the sky.

My crazy theory actually sort of revolves around this...

Maybe it isn't a glitch but rather something important? The timing for this glitch is way harder than the spinning symbol. Interestingly, if you pause buffer another frame forward from the desynced glitch, you get the spinning symbol. Maybe I was wrong originally and the glitch happens if you pause on frame one, and the symbol appears if you pause during a several frame window after that first frame. If so, the symbol is telling you to rewind because you missed the timing for the glitch...

However, I've messed around quite a bit in the pause menu while Peter's head is still visible and while the audio is playing, so I'm not sure what purpose it could serve.

I haven't really tested if getting the glitch causes any other changes in the tape, because I think this idea is a little too wacky.

kogasu

Yeah, I've noticed that ghost appearance happens always after Andre says "Nothing!" could still be a RNG whether she actually appears or not

Roscoe182

One question if the people getting missing audio in the tape are still in the thread.

I got missing audio one time, but I've been able to replicate the first conversation happening in the pause menu 4-5 times. After you unpause, the audio either continues playing desynced or is completely missing if you wait for it all in the pause screen. Had anyone else seen that?

You can also see Peter's head in the static, which is a little weird since the section starts with you looking into the sky.

My crazy theory actually sort of revolves around this...

Maybe it isn't a glitch but rather something important? The timing for this glitch is way harder than the spinning symbol. Interestingly, if you pause buffer another frame forward from the desynced glitch, you get the spinning symbol. Maybe I was wrong originally and the glitch happens if you pause on frame one, and the symbol appears if you pause during a several frame window after that first frame. If so, the symbol is telling you to rewind because you missed the timing for the glitch...

However, I've messed around quite a bit in the pause menu while Peter's head is still visible and while the audio is playing, so I'm not sure what purpose it could serve.

I haven't really tested if getting the glitch causes any other changes in the tape, because I think this idea is a little too wacky.

im pretty sure its a glitch if you press triangle the audio comes back.

In my opinion, the girl is on a strict timer, but random.

I always get her to appear on the same audio cues, but from run to run it's completely random whether she appears or not, even with no changes to game state or inventory.

Alright, I'm not a big believer in this number theory, but I decided I'd try and make a list of the numbers and objects associated with them so that people start looking around so much.

1:
- Box under the television (Note that this is a repeated texture throughout the demo, and can also be found near the backdoor)
- The tape itself
- The fuse (I've seen people relate this back to the shape of the fuse, which I feel is a major stretch)
- Pulling the fireplace switch (This has been counted as an action by some, mainly in lists which revolve around the fuse as number 2, seeing as the switch must be pulled to reach the fuse. There is also a book atop the fireplace with a 1)

2:
- Finger (Has a 2 on the fingertip)
- Fuse (Has a 2 on it? I can't confirm this, but I've seen it thrown around a lot)

3:
- The chained cabinet (This of course requires the bolt cutters to open, and yields the tape. Three is on right side of cabinet)
- The lockpick (Has a 3 somewhere on it. A bit sketchy on this one)
- Stew (Three cockroaches escape once it is opened)

4:
- Axe (Has a 4 on the handle. Potentially multiple)
- The bloody note received after the tape (The 'u' in 'You' is resembles the number 4)

5:
- Cabinet with the finger (5 in blood to the right of the scissors)

6:
- Axe (Again, I've seen sixes on the axe thrown around frequently, but I'm not sure about it at all)
- There are six mannequins present within the demo assuming the top floor is reached

7:
- Everything was 7
- Piano (Underneath there is a 7)
- Finger (Apparently also has a 7 on the fingertip?)
- Mirror (From an angle to the right of the mirror a 7 can be seen on the left side of the mirror in an almost reddish tint)

The most logical progression I could find was (Assuming all necessary steps are taken to get these items):
- Fireplace switch (Simple. Hit the switch before the VHS tape to get the fuse)
- Fuse (Plug in the fuse to get access to the third floor)
- Chained cabinet (Get the bolt cutters and get the VHS tape)
- Bloody note (Watch the tape and be sure to trigger the axe)
- Cabinet with finger (Go to the cabinet and grab the finger)
- Axe (Actually go get the axe)
- Piano (Hit the piano)

I've seen the idea of finding the missing mannequin thrown around a lot (Considering only six are present and we know everything in the demo is 7), but I think what we are going through actually is to find the last mannequin. If we go to the bottom floor we see the voodoo dolls which are at three different elevations of height (Representing the three floors of the home). One is on the bottom elevation, this of course being the mannequin that was tossed. There are four on the middle elevation, as there are on the second floor. Finally we have two on the top elevation. One of these is found in the phone room and the other is a mystery. I feel it's a given to assume that the final mannequin is found in the glitched room located on the top floor. So I don't think it's safe to say our goal is to find this mannequin to progress further in the demo.

Flo_Evans

Alright, I'm not a big believer in this number theory, but I decided I'd try and make a list of the numbers and objects associated with them so that people start looking around so much.

1:
- Box under the television (Note that this is a repeated texture throughout the demo, and can also be found near the backdoor)
- The tape itself
- The fuse (I've seen people relate this back to the shape of the fuse, which I feel is a major stretch)
- Pulling the fireplace switch (This has been counted as an action by some, mainly in lists which revolve around the fuse as number 2, seeing as the switch must be pulled to reach the fuse. There is also a book atop the fireplace with a 1)

2:
- Finger (Has a 2 on the fingertip)
- Fuse (Has a 2 on it? I can't confirm this, but I've seen it thrown around a lot)

3:
- The chained cabinet (This of course requires the bolt cutters to open, and yields the tape. Three is on right side of cabinet)
- The lockpick (Has a 3 somewhere on it. A bit sketchy on this one)
- Stew (Three cockroaches escape once it is opened)

4:
- Axe (Has a 4 on the handle. Potentially multiple)
- The bloody note received after the tape (The 'u' in 'You' is resembles the number 4)

5:
- Cabinet with the finger (5 in blood to the right of the scissors)

6:
- Axe (Again, I've seen sixes on the axe thrown around frequently, but I'm not sure about it at all)
- There are six mannequins present within the demo assuming the top floor is reached

7:
- Everything was 7
- Piano (Underneath there is a 7)
- Finger (Apparently also has a 7 on the fingertip?)
- Mirror (From an angle to the right of the mirror a 7 can be seen on the left side of the mirror in an almost reddish tint)

The most logical progression I could find was (Assuming all necessary steps are taken to get these items):
- Fireplace switch
- Fuse
- Chained cabinet
- Bloody note
- Cabinet with finger
- Axe
- Piano

I've seen the idea of finding the missing mannequin thrown around a lot (Considering only six are present and we know everything in the demo is 7), but I think what we are going through actually is to find the last mannequin. If we go to the bottom floor we see the voodoo dolls which are at three different elevations of height (Representing the three floors of the home). One is on the bottom elevation, this of course being the mannequin that was tossed. There are four on the middle elevation, as there are on the second floor. Finally we have two on the top elevation. One of these is found in the phone room and the other is a mystery. I feel it's a given to assume that the final mannequin is found in the glitched room located on the top floor. So I don't think it's safe to say our goal is to find this mannequin to progress further in the demo.

I think you are correct on the mannequins/voodoo dolls. The numbers I think are a stretch. RE would say something like "it's an axe with the number 4 carved in handle..."

I am thinking you need to cut the phone and or electric wires with the axe, but I'm sure someone has tried that and I am going to bed...

OmegaNemesis28

Neo Member
I think you are correct on the mannequins/voodoo dolls. The numbers I think are a stretch. RE would say something like "it's an axe with the number 4 carved in handle..."

I am thinking you need to cut the phone and or electric wires with the axe, but I'm sure someone has tried that and I am going to bed...

The numbers do exist. They're definitely on items and the environment.

The back door and the attic door have been glitched. Hopefully someone can get the door under the stairs and the door in the hall past the living room glitched as well.

Here's a picture of a kitchen star, since I'm not 100% sure one was ever linked and someone asked. I haven't seen much discussion about it outside of what was posted this morning about all the spinning.

I feel like at this point someone should have come up with an explanation for these, the finger, and the spinning tape symbol. I guess potentially all three could mean nothing.

At this point it seems more likely that someone would stumble upon any potential solution accidentally even if what we've encountered in the house so far are meant to be hints.

Roscoe182

Here's a picture of a kitchen star, since I'm not 100% sure one was ever linked and someone asked. I haven't seen much discussion about it outside of what was posted this morning about all the spinning.

I feel like at this point someone should have come up with an explanation for these, the finger, and the spinning tape symbol. I guess potentially all three could mean nothing.

At this point it seems more likely that someone would stumble upon any potential solution accidentally even if what we've encountered in the house so far are meant to be hints.

they are nothing

Futaba

Working on a detailed map of the demo, since im finding spaces which the previous map missed, probably useless in the grand scheme of things but im bored enough to do it.

Top Bottom