• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Multiplayer is now prominent over singleplayer, focusing on GAAS games

RDreamer

I feel like this whole industry chasing the GAAS/Multiplayer thing might have some bad repercussions for some studios and smaller games. Like... people can't afford to nor do they have time to really stick to even two of these games that's heavily GAAS. You're playing Destiny 2...and that's about it for a year. Sure the makers of Destiny 2 get a good chunk of change, but other studios won't, and if you start making a game like that then you're just competing for those same dollars.

If the entire industry consists of mostly games you have to dedicate all of your time and money to, then that kills innovation and variety.

Please save us Octopath Traveler.

Please be the successful, no frills JRPG we all know you can be.

What is octopus peddler gonna do for sp rpgs that nier or dq or ff haven't already done through their sales?
I dunno what it is on but im pretty sure their mind is made up based on completely different factors.

Fuck all you naysaying motherfuckers! I'm ready to grind for my exotic chocobo

Friendly reminder ME3 proved you could have a single player focused experienced while featuring a multiplayer mode that was beloved by many

george_us

I feel like this whole industry chasing the GAAS/Multiplayer thing might have some bad repercussions for some studios and smaller games. Like... people can't afford to nor do they have time to really stick to even two of these games that's heavily GAAS. You're playing Destiny 2...and that's about it for a year. Sure the makers of Destiny 2 get a good chunk of change, but other studios won't, and if you start making a game like that then you're just competing for those same dollars.

If the entire industry consists of mostly games you have to dedicate all of your time and money to, then that kills innovation and variety.
Good points. Almost reminds me of what happened to the MMO market.

Compsiox

Banned
I just remembered Triad Wars on PC. It was a disaster. As well as the multiplayer in Deus Ex. Have they done anything aside from the FF MMO that makes it clear that they can do this well?

Fuck all you naysaying motherfuckers! I'm ready to grind for my exotic chocobo

Friendly reminder ME3 proved you could have a single player focused experienced while featuring a multiplayer mode that was beloved by many

Yeah, after EA patched it in so you didn't have to boost your war effort score by playing MP...it was a crappy mess at first.

Yazzees

Is the industry chasing moba/mobile successes with this or what?

It reminds me of 2012-2014 when all these garbage mobas were being released under big studios/licenses because all these suits thought the genre was popular as opposed to LoL and Dota themselves.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Only sqaure could look at the recent success of Skyrim, witcher 3, horizon and Zelda and come to the conclusion that we need fewer single player games.

snap

Banned
you know what'd be cool? like pubs have to focus on GAAS to support the insane budgets AAA has these days, but it'd be cool if we also had smaller publisher labels, like Fox (the movie studio) has Fox Searchlight, that focus on singleplayer heavy games at a smaller budget.

Like Square Enix already kinda has a few games that'd fall under a label like that, from the Tokyo RPG Factory games to the Life is Strange franchise.

Only sqaure could look at the recent success of Skyrim, witcher 3, horizon and Zelda, some of the best single player games of the last decade, if not of all time, and how they only managed to be roughly on par with the successes of less impressive fare as Ghost Recon Wildlands, Fortnite, For Honor and Destiny 2 and come to the conclusion that we need fewer single player games.

ftfy

I feel like 'old man yells at cloud' now.

The video game industry is getting away from me. Games as a fucking service, multiplayer for everything, loot boxes. It's sad for me, but I feel like I'm being left behind. I refuse to reward this design, so I'm just... gone... I guess.

Hate this.

You know what games haven't been service based? Bethesdas and I reckon if you wanna keep them that way its best to support them. They are one of the few still heavily making/publishing single player focused games.

Ray Down

Banned

The video game industry is getting away from me. Games as a fucking service, multiplayer for everything, loot boxes. It's sad for me, but I feel like I'm being left behind. I refuse to reward this design, so I'm just... gone... I guess.

Hate this.

297.png

kadotsu

Banned
Why are people losing their mind over this? Look at stuff like DQ Builders 2. It now has multiplayer, will get GaaS-like updates and probably be a better game for it.

blakep267

You know what games haven't been service based? Bethesdas and I reckon if you wanna keep them that way its best to support them. They are one of the few still heavily making/publishing single player focused games.
Depends. ESO has a steadily evolving game & Skyrim and Fallout both have services in the form of the mod support which keeps users steadily playing. And the non service based games from them(dishonored 2, Prey) didn't do super well

Ray Down

Banned
Bethesdas is moving towards this model...

Compsiox

Banned
Why are people losing their mind over this? Look at stuff like DQ Builders 2. It now has multiplayer, will get GaaS-like updates and probably be a better game for it.

Because when you look at Triad Wars and Deus Ex MD multiplayer it seems like it will be very hit and miss.

kadotsu

Banned
Because when you look at Triad Wars and Deus Ex MD multiplayer it seems like it will be very hit and miss.

The worst case is that they will put out bad games a few times. For MP that means dead communities and probably SE abandoning the concept.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Triad Wars was only sort of multiplayer. It worked like a Facebook game in that it was entirely singleplayer from your perspective, but you attacked other players' bases and the like, while NPCs sat in there and guarded it.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided did not have multiplayer. Breach mode was completely singleplayer.

Compsiox

Banned
Triad Wars was only sort of multiplayer. It worked like a Facebook game in that it was entirely singleplayer from your perspective, but you attacked other players' bases and the like, while NPCs sat in there and guarded it.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided did not have multiplayer. Breach mode was completely singleplayer.

Okay then aside from the FF MMO have they proven themselves?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay then aside from the FF MMO have they proven themselves?
I don't think they've tried making a worldwide release multiplayer game that wasn't an MMO or a mobile game since Tomb Raider's multiplayer mode 4.5 years ago, so I'm not sure they've really even tried in the first place.

If we're counting things like arcades, Gunstring Stratos and Dissidia are successful.

I guess they patched co-op into separate modes in Final Fantasy XV and Rise of the Tomb Raider as paid DLC, but uh... I mean surely we're not going to judge them on that, right? That's clearly rough draft, testing things out for the future type work.

Ivellios

Hate this.

There are still many games that do not follow this trend, with good single player content like Zelda, Horizon, Divinity 2, new God of War, Mario, among many others.

Though i think the best platforms today for these games are PC and Nintendo consoles

Loona

If you think about it, SE don't have many multiplayer cards in their hands: FFXIV, DQX, that's it.

FFXI is active too.
I wish these news meant more of a commitment by SE to keeping it around, since they rarely remind people it exists... can't say I'm terribly optimistic about it though...

One can already see the direction they're taking in how the new Dissidia compares to the previous ones - and unfortunately it seems to involve downplaying single-player content if they feel they can get away with it...

Compsiox

Banned
I don't think they've tried making a worldwide release multiplayer game that wasn't an MMO or a mobile game since Tomb Raider's multiplayer mode 4.5 years ago, so I'm not sure they've really even tried in the first place.

If we're counting things like arcades, Gunstring Stratos and Dissidia are successful.

I guess they patched co-op in Final Fantasy XV and Tomb Raider as paid DLC, but uh... I mean surely we're not going to judge them on that, right? That's clearly rough draft, testing things out for the future type work.

Well we'll have to wait and see then.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
At least sell Deus Ex to someone before killing it. :( Hitman got saved like that
I think they view Deus Ex as potentially more valuable to go back to at some point, and they're keeping the studio, so the incentive to add the IP in to make the studio more valuable to sell is way lower.

kennyamr

The positive side of this statement could be Square Enix actually giving more money and power to Naoki Yoshida and the MMO team.

I don't think the single player games are going away. They will add more multiplayer content to everything and if that represents more money back into their pockets to fund future projects, I guess it's okay... although personally I never play multiplayers...... (the only exception being FFXIV of course [psst. Amazing game] ahem).

shimon

I think they view Deus Ex as potentially more valuable to go back to at some point, and they're keeping the studio, so the incentive to add the IP in to make the studio more valuable to sell is way lower.

I REALLY hope you are correct on this. It would be such a shame not to get another DX game and see the finale to the Adam Jensen trilogy.

Top Bottom