• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's New Plan: Spend way less money, work on smartphones, dev regional games

Hobbun

Square-Enix has pretty much fallen out of favor from me and any confidence I’ve had in them, as well as any games I’ve wanted.

But with this announcement of their plans pretty much seals that my future in buying games will not be with them.

1) The smart device market does not interest me at all. I don’t have one, and don’t have any plans on purchasing one. If that is going to be their focus, then I guess I am not going to be buying SE games.

2) Their last check-mark sounds like a continuation of what they have already started, and that’s not bringing over their JRPGs. We’ve had to rely on Nintendo for us to see a lot of SE’s latest offerings, apparently that isn’t going to change. Or, we just won’t see them at all. So fuck you SE.

The only thing I agree with is their first check-mark in is the turnaround time for releasing games.

But considering their other goals cause me to have no interest in their company or their games, I really don’t care how fast they release them.

Glass Rebel

What I find surprising is how poorly SE supports handhelds. They make JRPGs, which are popular in Japan, which plays a lot on handhelds. I mean, I can't be the only one who sees it. Proper SE support would do wonders for 3DS and especially the Vita.

I really honestly believe DQXI could be a mobile release. It seems very possible.

I guess that's why the 3DS is seeing DQ games these days.

Toth

Development needs to be fixed asap. SE used t churn out at least 2-3 big titles every 6 months. Now? Yeah. Their only output has been Eidos games, a DQ 7 remake, FFXI, and DQ10.

It would also make them shit loads of money.

Announce both, make one, see how it goes and then make the next one if needed.

It's what the fans want and would pay for.

Then release ff15 6 months later and more money.

Edit: a full remake of 6 or 7 on next gen hardware would be less risky than a new story, new characters, and completely new gameplay mechanics for ff15

I honestly doubt it would sell better then a typical FF game, be it 15 or Versus. I just don't think the broader market would care enough. Fans would still buy FF15 when it comes out, so I doubt it is worth the sizeable investment.

Toski

capture1r8uvp.png

The third point intrigues me. I think we can reasonably speculate what they have planned for the Japanese market, but what about US/Europe? S-E developed handheld games for Japan, more Eidos for the West? They really need to get the first and third points aligned. With the West being more console & PC centric than Japan, I would like S-E to hit PS4/Durango/PC (and Wii U if feasable) with same week release as Japan for Japanese games. Eidos shouldn't have a problem with this.

Cheebo

Banned
What I find surprising is how poorly SE supports handhelds. They make JRPGs, which are popular in Japan, which plays a lot on handhelds. I mean, I can't be the only one who sees it. Proper SE support would do wonders for 3DS and especially the Vita.
They must be making serious bank (compared to their big losses on the HD consoles) on all their endless SNES ports on iOS. No other explanation I can think of.

RiverBed

Banned
So SE has been in the 'Please Wait' phase and will soon transition to the 'Please Understand' by release of next gen? Ok, I got it.

squall23

I've gone on record stating that the VITA will sell more units lifetime in Japan than the PS4 will. And I stand by that one.
So what you're saying is that Vita nor PS4 are going to do jack shit against the 3DS? And Sony's just going to live with that and not (try and) do anything about it?

Skinpop

this only mean bad news for jrpg audience right???

-even less JRPG
-almost no chance for non FF/DQ console title
-there will be even less that would leave japan (tailored to consumer taste in specific served region)

at least give me VP3 before this gen end square

It's not like square making RPGs would be good news for JRPGs anymore. They are simply not relevant anymore, luckily there are other developers around.

They must be making serious bank (compared to their big losses on the HD consoles) on all their endless SNES ports on iOS. No other explanation I can think of.

I don't think so. In fact, I think those iOS games didn't sell well; they're just cheap to make, but shitloads of money? Naa. I just think that they think iOS and mobile phones are a wagon to jump on.

RPGCrazied

Oh good, more iOS games. I really wish those wouldn't sell. I don't think phone and tablet games should even be labeled game devices. That's just me though. Have you ever seen a hardcore game on one? I don't think I have.

Hobbun

Oh good, more iOS games. I really wish those wouldn't sell. I don't think phone and tablet games should even be labeled game devices. That's just me though. Have you ever seen a hardcore game on one? I don't think I have.

There have been hardcore games on them, but I think they are all ports.

But I am with you, I have no interest in iOS games at all.

Cheebo

Banned

Angry Birds today is where Pokémon was in the late 90's. It has a pretty sizable game audience.

UberTag

So what you're saying is that Vita nor PS4 are going to do jack shit against the 3DS? And Sony's just going to live with that and not (try and) do anything about it?
I think the VITA will continue to carve out a healthy niche for itself in Japan incrementally.
Sony can't do anything to "catch" the 3DS in Japan if that's what you're driving at... that ship has already sailed.

Glass Rebel

To put things into perspective, original Japanese Square-(Enix) games released in North America:

PlayStation 2

Dawn of Mana
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Drakengard
Drakengard 2
Driving Emotion Type-S
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII
Front Mission 4
Grandia III
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Musashi: Samurai Legends
Radiata Stories
Romancing SaGa
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Unlimited Saga
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria

PlayStation 3

Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Mindjack
Nier
Star Ocean: The Last Hope International
(Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn)
(Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix)
(Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII)
(Dragkengard 3?)
(Final Fantasy X + X-2 HD)
(Final Fantasy Versus XIII?)

so sad

UberTag

If you really want to make people cry about the infallible, "never can be blamed for anything" Square Enix Japan output, post the respective pre-merger PS1 and SNES lists.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
What a mess. Who could have imagined this type of outcome for Square Enix 7 years ago?
I don't think focusing on smartphones and "regional" content is going to help them very much at all. Just make the games people want to play.

Sblargh

Banned
I don't think I would mind they leaving HD development to Eidos and only acting as publishers in this space.
Final Fantasy had a good run. Rest in peace, my darling.

monome

What a mess. Who could have imagined this type of outcome for Square Enix 7 years ago?
I don't think focusing on smartphones and "regional" content is going to help them very much at all. Just make the games people want to play.

DQ action game by PG* before they sell the IP or burn it to the ground.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I still want to know how they intend to make regional games and cut that much R&D.

I mean that's like half the company (presumably 50% shutdown in both East and West?) unless that is just on a per game basis (like switching from $40-$60 million budgets to $20-$30 million).

Hopefully they put up a transcript soon.

sublimit

Banned
To put things into perspective, original Japanese Square-(Enix) games released in North America:

PlayStation 2

Dawn of Mana
Drakengard
Drakengard 2
Driving Emotion Type-S
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII
Front Mission 4
Grandia III
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Radiata Stories
Romancing SaGa
Unlimited Saga

PlayStation 3

Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Mindjack
Nier
(Dragkengard 3?)

so sad

You forgot to list some Wii and 360 exclusive games though.

Thoraxes

Dem HD dev costs.

It's always neat to see how much output has fallen from almost all companies. I wonder how the trend will change with Gen 8...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
major outsourcing?

Fire everyone and just not develop anything new for real platforms?

They've got that second part down already.

entremet

PlayStation 2

Dawn of Mana
Drakengard
Drakengard 2
Driving Emotion Type-S
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII
Front Mission 4
Grandia III
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Radiata Stories
Romancing SaGa
Unlimited Saga

PlayStation 3

Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Mindjack
Nier
(Dragkengard 3?)

so sad

Well to be fair they shifted to portables since last generation. Home console gaming is done in Japan.

The Eidos IP are the only ones worth a shit right now, this strategy sounds horrible.

So basically Square Enix to be the next THQ and have their IP sold off piecemeal confirmed.

vareon

Serious bank, I don't think so. Profitable, yes (and probably with a good profit margin) but way too small to sustain a company like Square Enix.

Which is why they have been lacking in 3DS/Vita support, imo.

Toski

Dem HD dev costs.

It's always neat to see how much output has fallen from almost all companies. I wonder how the trend will change with Gen 8...

The West doesn't seem to have output problems, its Japan. Maybe the similar architecture of the PC/Durango/PS4 will make HD development faster for Japan.

IHaveIce

Banned
This is so much bullshit, I will never spend 10€+ for any mobile game, but I'm interested in their stuff.

Their problem is they don't release their interesting stuff or just seem to work forever on such a title.

Square takes so much time to work on some titles and all the hype for the game vanishes till it releases.

Splitting a franchise over many handhelds was also really idiotic (Kingdom Hearts) Even as a fan of the series I won't buy all these consoles only to play these ports. Just release Kingdom Hearts 3 god damn.

Also they are still one of the few devs which a have a crazy difference in release dates worldwide.

All my hope for Square has already left.

Jinko

Heh SE don't have a clue if they plan to abandon games consoles in favour of mobile games, do they not realise how fickle mobile gamers are?

Bleh Just throw yourself into the Abyss now SE.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well to be fair they shifted to portables since last generation. Home console gaming is done in Japan.

Their output on handhelds went from a smattering on the GB early on, nothing during their PSX heyday to big name ports and remakes and original efforts on the GBA, to basically developing primarily for the DS for a few of those years.

Now they develop mobile games and finish up ports for the HD systems while they try and fix their drowned in the bathtub of incompetence MMO and a game they announced at the beginning of last gen.

Dem HD dev costs.

I think it's a problem with budget and management. Plenty of Sony developed games cost much lower then the other games. Like Uncharted 1/2 costing only 20 mill to develop, excluding advertisement and packaging. Heavy Rain did great as well.

For a game that manages budget really well and not push boundaries in graphics, but in gameplay instead would be the Soul series. Demon and Dark Souls didn't cost that much compared to other games, yet it's packed with tons of content.

I can't believe some of the games made by the big publishers have literally over 200 people working on it. RE6 has what 300?

nubbe

Squenix is living in the past with all their ports and demakes

All the talent has left the company and Eidos is the only saving grace.

QaaQer

Aaaaand they still dont get it.

First off, they need to realize one crucial thing: Just because there are so many mobile devices doesn't mean that even a fraction is interested in (your) games, where as on a game console you have almost a 100% gamers owning that system. They're simply fooled by the sheer numbers.

Another thing is that "tailoring to severed regions" is exactly what made them fall down to begin with. They used to make "good games" instead of making games that are customized to appeal to a certain demographic and region. Make a good game and it'll sell. It's THAT easy, that they are not seeing the forest for the trees.

yup. Too many companies treat game design like toaster design. Look at the big surprise hits over the last few years: Minecraft, Journey, Fez, Dota2, etc. What sets them apart? Did the devs say 'hey, lets target smartphones and design a game like it was a toaster.' Of course not.

Even games like COD and Halo became mammoth because the devs targeted killer gameplay, not other crap like story. And of course there are the huge Ninty franchaises like Mario 3d, Mario Bros., etc...

Square looks like instead of wasting money on giant stupid epic story based like FF & Tomb Raider and Hitman:A, they are going to waste money chasing smartphones and regional focus tested games. I wouldn't touch their stock with a 10 foot pole.

Somnid

Well to be fair that's what they think they are doing. Lots of people have smartphones and want (or would) play games on them. Also, it is abundantly clear that the west wants some games and Japan wants others and they want to serve that.

The problem is audience pandering is probably the single largest problem in gaming because there is only a single recognized audience: 16-35 males. Also Westerners don't like androgynous pussy men with bad haircuts and Japan doesn't like old men in power suits. Or so that's what everyone's marketing team has decided. It's almost self-fulfilling prophecy at this point.

Top Bottom