• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen’s live game director is leaving his position after nine years at CIG (which has not released one single game)

TVexperto

As you all know now I think, there was some layoffs at CIG. One big wave that just happened and some other here and there to keep it more quiet. As far as I know, NONE of them we're announced internally. When mentioned to some people who still work on the game, they were not even aware of it.

But yes, some people such as Todd Papy and Dan Truffin were made redundant to let them go. Others like Tony Z are still there but simply not on the projects anymore ( now that I think about it, yes that means getting paid by backer money without any contribution to the game). SQ42 peeps are taking over.
They also laid off the QA Manager after 8 years (Vincent Sinatra)

We’ll admit that this bit of Star Citizen news is ripe for speculation, and that speculation may be steered by how one feels about the alpha spaceship sandbox, but the fact remains that live game director Todd Papy has left his post.

According to Papy’s LinkedIn profile, he worked for nine years at CIG, starting first as a design director before being moved up to live game director. Otherwise the details of his departure from SC aren’t available, as there don’t appear to be any statements from him on the matter.

As alluded to earlier, this has kicked off a wide variety of assumptions from fans. As one might expect, the SC Refunds subreddit is mostly chuckling at the news, with most claiming that he didn’t actually do any real work since SC isn’t released yet. The game’s more faithful followers, though, appear to be less bothered, with most simply shrugging or otherwise wishing him well. Still some are angry at the suggestion that Papy’s departure is cause for rage or concern.

Chris Roberts once said in an interview "I like Americans, not Americants".
In other words, he only wants yes men.
It might be that Tod told Chris something was idiotic one too many times.
Or maybe its just that Tod has had enough of this shit and wants to move on with his career after being stuck in the swamp of CIG development, and due to CIG's restructuring decided to leave rather than relocate.
We will probably never know unless Tod speaks out, and he needs to be careful due to NDAs.

Last edited:

YCoCg

90f.png

TVexperto

those who know will know, those who don't have to ask :messenger_winking:
They're selling vaporware at premium prices, preying on people's spacefaring fantasies. It's a shame, but hey, there's a sucker born every minute.
Anyone still believing in that project is either delusional or desperate. Wake up and smell the space dust, it's burning a hole in your pocket
;)

Last edited:

Bkdk

Honestly he could work 2 game director jobs since there is almost nothing need to be done in star citizen and he is still making tons of money anyway.

StueyDuck

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck and looks like a duck, it’s probably a 🦆.

Where 🦆 == scam.
it took ''only'' 12 years and millions of dollars to understand other people that it's a scam. you will get there ;)
again it's pointless talking to those who have no clue, the citizens here will know what i mean, the ones who really know whats going on.

the game has flaws, the development was borked for many years but the educated people can still criticize those thing like they do if again you were informed and knew much about the game, the development or the community.

this is a pointless conversation and i'll leave you guys to run around and say things that literally make no sense and the rest of us will quietly chuckly and move on with life.

StereoVsn

again it's pointless talking to those who have no clue, the citizens here will know what i mean, the ones who really know whats going on.

the game has flaws, the development was borked for many years but the educated people can still criticize those thing like they do if again you were informed and knew much about the game, the development or the community.

this is a pointless conversation and i'll leave you guys to run around and say things that literally make no sense and the rest of us will quietly chuckly and move on with life.
That’s ok. The first step to get out of a cult is admitting that you are in a cult. 😉

StueyDuck

That’s ok. The first step to get out of a cult is admitting that you are in a cult. 😉
again just saying things your favorite youtuber says isn't all that impressive.

i imagine every star citizen thread you will see yours and every other persons name say the same 3 things. having never actually tried the product or getting involved with anything around the game.

it's the same level of "critique" as people from era who jump into any JK rowling thread and scream transphobe when the actual information available says otherwise, but much like you they are unwilling to even try and see any further past that one thing your one favorite youtuber said one time.

I will repeat, those who know will know and those who don't will continue to make fools of themselves.

i literally called it with the inb4 that's how obvious this thread was going to be.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Its very simple it fucking game and just like any other game it need get released but it hasn't because they keep adding more "tech"....it basically endless, new tech becomes available these guys delay the the game to add the new tech.

Release the fucking game already!

bitbydeath

i imagine every star citizen thread you will see yours and every other persons name say the same 3 things. having never actually tried the product or getting involved with anything around the game.

it's the same level of "critique" as people from era who jump into any JK rowling thread and scream transphobe when the actual information available says otherwise, but much like you they are unwilling to even try and see any further past that one thing your one favorite youtuber said one time.

I will repeat, those who know will know and those who don't will continue to make fools of themselves.

i literally called it with the inb4 that's how obvious this thread was going to be.
He right guys, the truth is that it’s all just one big money laundering scheme, so now you all know we can all share in the laughs.

Ribi

I mean you can go play the game OP. "Release" is just a word. Also hate to break it to you but people in the game industry leave all the time. He immediately went back to the dates after his departure. Hell for him to be there for 9 years just means there's some real there so I'm not really sure how this is supposed to be negative?

High level game dev leaves after working there 9 yrs, game continues development just like any other game in the making. Wake me up when CR leaves and maybe then that'll be newsworthy for the people itching for this game to fail.

kiphalfton

Brb "please validate me"

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lol, Camural. Also, are you Kotaku, that's a 10 days old video of 20 days old news.
In other words, he only wants yes men.
It might be that Tod told Chris something was idiotic one too many times.
Or maybe its just that Tod has had enough of this shit and wants to move on with his career after being stuck in the swamp of CIG development, and due to CIG's restructuring decided to leave rather than relocate.
In other words, you don't know anything about anything & make everything up except for the fact some people are no longer working there, like it's happened before and even though a decade on no staff or even disgruntled ex confirm your speculations about the project. Keep hoping I guess.
TVexperto said:
Reported by GI.biz :) your argument is invalid

company also accused of being toxic
Yes, GI.biz reported the fact an unknown number of people no longer work there and did nothing to add your own "reasons" for it I quoted above. Can you even fucking read the posts you're replying to or what the fuck is wrong with you, did a backer fuck your wife and this is your tantrum over it?

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
those who know will know, those who don't have to ask :messenger_winking:
You spent real money on digital goods in this game for no reason, didn’t you? It appears maybe a lot of money, considering your justification of a scam.

Can you come pick me up in one of your ships you blew real world money on?

Edit: holy moly in another post you say only the educated will understand? Brother, I hate to tell you this, but educated people do not spend real money on items with no value at all. I cannot believe I even read some of this embarrassing mess.

Last edited:

TVexperto

In other words, you don't know anything about anything and made everything up except for the fact some people are no longer working there, like it's happened before and even though a decade on no staff or even disgruntled ex confirm your speculations about the project. Keep hoping I guess.
why are you lying?

Alexios

why are you lying?
What does that have to do with anything I said? Can you even at least pretend you're trying to have a coherent discussion about this topic you're so invested in? You made everything in the OP up in the most negative way possible except the fact some people are no longer working there. Fact. Even that hardly any better than your OP researched article is clearly saying this is not a scam, a game is being worked on by "just" an incompetent game dev or whatever else they wanna project so half the posts you're laughing with/approving here are wrong by what you cite as such a grand source 🤷‍♂️

Everyone knows feature/scale of the game expanded since the initial pitch, they've been pretty open about that, and that's all the ex contractor (Mark Day) quoted in that article confirms. Feature creep or whatever you wanna call it. The rest quotes are people as unrelated to the project as you.

Don't see you frothing at the mouth calling folks calling it a scam out the same way you rushed to froth @ me for just saying what your op is, one fact (folks no longer working there) and all the rest of it indeed is unsubstantiated speculation (to put it kinder than just blatant lies with no evidence).

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Squadron 42 is one of the most important games ever for me and I'm not the resident Sci-fi fan.

Luckily most of the foundation for SC and all of the main parts of S42 are ready.

One of the most anticipated games ever for me after the last big showing.

Tajaz2426

What does that have to do with anything I said? Can you even at least pretend you're trying to have a coherent discussion about this topic you're so invested in? You made everything in the OP up in the most negative way possible except the fact some people are no longer working there. Fact. Even that hardly any better than your OP researched article is clearly saying this is not a scam, a game is being worked on by "just" an incompetent game dev or whatever else they wanna project so half the posts you're laughing with/approving here are wrong by what you cite as such a grand source 🤷‍♂️
You’re an idiot if you spend money on microtransactions, but you are a complete moron if you spend money buying ships for the prices for no return. You can send me your money and I’ll put in the blender and then put in the fireplace if you want me to, it’s the same result.

I don’t play the game because I don’t play things that have scummy practices and I find it quite embarrassing for the ones that do.

They are selling in a video game (not real life), DLC packages for the cost of new vehicles and have been doing it.

In the end, you just have those troglodytes that will fall for and try to buy whatever a company puts forth and you have folks who realize that they have brain cells and call it out.

Either way is good for me to laugh at, though.

TVexperto

Everyone knows feature/scale of the game expanded since the initial pitch, they've been pretty open about that, and that's all the ex contractor (Mark Day) quoted in that article confirms. Feature creep or whatever you wanna call it. The rest quotes are people as unrelated to the project as you.

Don't see you frothing at the mouth calling folks calling it a scam out the same way you rushed to froth @ me for just saying what your op is, one fact (folks no longer working there) and all the rest of it indeed is unsubstantiated speculation (to put it kinder than just blatant lies with no evidence).

"The former employee believes that development funds are being misused to dress up the CIG’s new Manchester studio with overpriced items and decorations."

Fairly Oddparents Burn GIF

Last edited:

Alexios

You’re an idiot if you spend money on microtransactions, but you are a complete moron if you spend money buying ships for the prices for no return. You can send me your money and I’ll put in the blender and then put in the fireplace if you want me to, it’s the same result.

I don’t play the game because I don’t play things that have scummy practices and I find it quite embarrassing for the ones that do.

They are selling in a video game (not real life), DLC packages for the cost of new vehicles and have been doing it.

In the end, you just have those troglodytes that will fall for and try to buy whatever a company puts forth and you have folks who realize that they have brain cells and call it out.

Either way is good for me to laugh at, though.
Eh, grow up and go get a(nother) job if you really feel so bad about what nonsense someone else may have spent money on. I never told you to play the game. I don't have a Star Citizen account but that's all your argument, it doesn't matter if I do or don't, why quote me just to rant senselessly? 🤷‍♂️

"The former employee believes that development funds are being misused to dress up the CIG’s new Manchester studio with overpriced items and decorations."

Fairly Oddparents Burn GIF
"anonymous developer" on random site "mmos.com". Kay. That's the standard of discource I guess. With dozens of studios and hundreds of devs out there, current and former, it really seems like you gotta scrape the bottom of the barrel to find anything to back up your speculation huh. How weird.

4 comments on there, what an expose that took the gaming world by storm with its hard hitting journalism everyone should take with no grain of salt or anything, also ignoring how one of the fired person's concerns was how to secure more funding, which they have done perfectly fine since.

Again, even the articles you cite as credible don't/can't call it a scam and at worst call it incompetent feature creep and development but you keep endorsing/liking post(ers) calling it a scam with nothing, including sources you love posting, to back up such claims. Congrats.

Every journalist is investigating this years now and would love to have the scoop that puts a lid on it and you can't come up with anything more than forum trolls like yourselves spewing bullshit. Congrats!

Last edited:

TVexperto

Eh, grow up and go get a(nother) job or something if you really feel so bad about what nonsense someone else may have spent money on. I never told you to play the game. Idk what most of your rant has to do with anything I said.

"anonymous developer" on random site "mmos.com". Kay. That's the standard of discource I guess. With dozens of studios and hundreds of devs out there, current and former, it really seems like you gotta scrape the bottom of the barrel to find anything to back up your speculation huh. How weird.
funny how you keep ignoring the forbes article

Tajaz2426

Eh, grow up and go get a(nother) job or something if you really feel so bad about what nonsense someone else may have spent money on. I never told you to play the game. Idk what most of your rant has to do with anything I said.

4 comments on there, what an expose that took the gaming world by storm with its hard hitting journalism everyone should take with no grain of salt or anything, also ignoring how one of the fired person's concerns was how to secure more funding, which they have done perfectly fine since.
I don’t care what you spend money on, but I’ll call out an idiot all day long. Just because some folks aren’t smart enough to know that you do not spend money with no return value, doesn’t mean the smart folks should shut their mouths.

Like I said, it’s just something to laugh about and if you have done it, then you’re being laughed at and it will be ok. No need to be mad at those who know better and learned basic economics.

I also do not need another job, I’m quite happily retired from two of them in my early 40s. Probably retired easily because I didn’t spend thousands on fake ships, swords, guns, costumes, etc.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Todd Papy leaving is huge news. He's been there forever he was one of the few straight shooters there at CIG. Each time he featured on Inside Star Citizen / Around the Verse, he was always worth paying attention to. I grew kinda concerned that he started featuring less and less on these videos but I had chalked that up to him and his team being too busy to yap in front of the camera. Disappointing news nonetheless.

TVexperto

I don’t care what you spend money on, but I’ll call out an idiot all day long. Just because some folks aren’t smart enough to know that you do not spend money with no return value, doesn’t mean the smart folks should shut their mouths.

Like I said, it’s just something to laugh about and if you have done it, then you’re being laughed at and it will be ok. No need to be mad at those who know better and learned basic economics.

I also do not need another job, I’m quite happily retired from two of them in my early 40s. Probably retired easily because I didn’t spend thousands on fake ships, swords, guns, costumes, etc.
There is no point in arguing with the brain dead white knights. They’re literally paying to be in a cult

Tajaz2426

There is no point in arguing with the brain dead white knights. They’re literally paying to be in a cult
As John Bridges said, “ A fool and his money are easily parted”. I keep thinking back to 6th grade economics and them beating into us that you don’t spend money on hobbies or anything else unless you can get some return on your investment. I have never bought anything I cannot resell for some value when I am done, digital goods that cannot be resold, etc. I guess it just stuck with me.

It’s crazy these folks have been conditioned to believe it is normal to enrich a company when they have given you no value in return. It’s like they have Stockholm syndrome and want to be beat down and broke so a man or folks in a company can make themselves even more money.

I don’t know why they just don’t give them their bank account info and just tell them to take what they want. It’s all pretty embarrassing and pathetic to be tied to a company like that.

RavageX

The reason why people who back this are so quick to defend it....

...in the back of their minds, somewhere deep and hidden where common sense resides.....

...they know its bullshit.

Now I'm not saying the game will never come out, but I will say it will not deliver on half of what they claim.

Top Bottom