• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Free to play till Oct. 30th. 2016

Woffls

Ahhh man. I just got interested in this game and im away from my PC for half of this. Luckily i have an 80Mb connection so should get a few days in. Looking forward to it.

Trace

Banned
It's supposed to run better than the PU.

Basically the PU atm is server-side limited. If you join into a server when no one is on or after the server restarts, you'll hit full framerates. Once people join in, it tanks the FPS. Arena Commander runs more like how the final game will run, although it isn't fully optimized yet.

Pjsprojects

Just tried Arena Commander and would be dropping the graphics down a notch for a smoother game,getting 25-35fps on very high but noticed some random dips to 21,

Will try it on high later this evening.

I was about to pull the trigger on Elite Dangerous on Steam but u think I'll grab this instead, should scratch that space flight itch however temporarily and I'm not out $40

Woffls

"mismatch between header and cookie session id"
Great start. Not even installed the game yet and the installer is giving me issues. Shit like this is so annoying.

"mismatch between header and cookie session id"
Great start. Not even installed the game yet and the installer is giving me issues. Shit like this is so annoying.

Yeah, there's a folder that you have to delete if you put in the wrong password - google it for the exact details.

Woffls

Yeah, there's a folder that you have to delete if you put in the wrong password - google it for the exact details.
Yeah I found the fix and it happened again. I think I am supposed to get an activation email but I've not received it, neither have I received the account recovery email. Guess their mail servers are under a bit more strain than usual... but that's still pretty poor.
[e] It was in junk mail... I swear that's the first time I've found anything in junk mail for like a decade but whatever.

Tagyhag

Do we know if whatever you do on the mom will stay with you? I'm afraid of making progress if they'll just do mass wipes.

Wow, graphics are insane. Framerate was all over the place for me at medium 1080p, the space station I couldn't get more than 15fps no matter what I did but in the city I was able to run around 25-30fps but both areas had alot of stutter and freezing going on. My system is old so it's probably why, even on low apart from the IQ it looks amazing.

s7h1nQE.gif

Steel

Banned
Wow, graphics are insane. Framerate was all over the place for me at medium 1080p, the space station I couldn't get more than 15fps no matter what I did but in the city I was able to run around 25-30fps but both areas had alot of stutter and freezing going on. My system is old so it's probably why, even on low apart from the IQ it looks amazing.

s7h1nQE.gif

The universe modules are throttled by the servers. Try out arena commander free flight if you want to see how the game runs without that limitation.

Edit: Btw was that the assassin's creed logo on that billboard or is it just me?

KKRT00

s7h1nQE.gif

If CIG pulls off with Arc Corp what they want to pull off, it will change world building in games forever :)

Hint: Arc Corp is basically like Coruscant

If CIG pulls off with Arc Corp what they want to pull off, it will change world building in games forever :)

Hint: Arc Cops is basically like Coruscant

didn't they say they planned on expanding Arc Corp several months ago? did they show any of the improvements?

KKRT00

didn't they say they planned on expanding Arc Corp several months ago? did they show any of the improvements?

They are expanding it, but they wont be putting anything new in current builds, because you will be able to land on it in Alpha 3.0, so instead of separate 'mode' it will be integrated into PU.

Yup, that internet echo is hurting the game a lot. I saw a spanish post about the free days and all comments were: never coming out, doesn't have anything to do...
Some web(eurogamer or someone like this) needs to do a serious post about the game to explain everyone what's going on. Because obviously casuals don't watch SC channel in YT

Kotaku did a serious story about it and it sounded like a terrible mess tbh.

Mobius 1

Yup, that internet echo is hurting the game a lot. I saw a spanish post about the free days and all comments were: never coming out, doesn't have anything to do...
Some web(eurogamer or someone like this) needs to do a serious post about the game to explain everyone what's going on. Because obviously casuals don't watch SC channel in YT
I want to it to succeed wildly and become what everyone dreams of, but there is mounting evidence that it's ambition is well above what can be reasonably delivered.

I hope to be proven wrong and to jump in when it's a functioning game with a strong population of players.

Rondras

Banned
Kotaku did a serious story about it and it sounded like a terrible mess tbh.
Because there is too many separate studios and communication isn't that good. They said that even in the YT channel. But for how big they are I don't think that's a killer problem.

So if I don't own a ship then I can't see it in the hangar, correct?

I know there are special events where all ships are available to check out so I was wondering if this was one of those. And if it is then how do I do that? Does it have something to do with all the little holographic dot thingies littered around the hangar? What are those and what can I do with them?

Outrun

Because there is too many separate studios and communication isn't that good. They said that even in the YT channel. But for how big they are I don't think that's a killer problem.

For a project this big, lack of communication is indeed a massive problem.

The good news is that they have brought a lot of the work in house.

The communication between Germany and UK studios is much better than the previous arrangement.

Hopefully the workflow is more efficient now.

Ploid 3.0

Wow didn't know the game was out. Doubt I'd be able to play it, it sounded like this thing would require a beast. I'll be looking up minimum specs though. I don't even know what you do in the game, the goal.

Edit: What the heck, my PC meet the requirements. Ok, checking twitch for what is done. Thanks for the heads up.

So if I don't own a ship then I can't see it in the hangar, correct?

I know there are special events where all ships are available to check out so I was wondering if this was one of those. And if it is then how do I do that? Does it have something to do with all the little holographic dot thingies littered around the hangar? What are those and what can I do with them?

Correct. This is a free fly week with the Super Hornet available to everyone. There was a promotion last week which unlocked all flyable ships to backers.

The holographic dot things can spawn in one of the ships you own into the hanger, or can spawn in other items that you have. The dots on the ships themselves allow you to customize things like the ships weapons

Correct. This is a free fly week with the Super Hornet available to everyone. There was a promotion last week which unlocked all flyable ships to backers.

The holographic dot things can spawn in one of the ships you own into the hanger, or can spawn in other items that you have. The dots on the ships themselves allow you to customize things like the ships weapons

That sounds freaking awesome! Thanks for the clarification.

Guess I'll be camping out at the landing pads in the "Universe" module so I can see as many ship interiors as possible. Hopefully I get to see a big one!

Eolz

That sounds freaking awesome! Thanks for the clarification.

Guess I'll be camping out at the landing pads in the "Universe" module so I can see as many ship interiors as possible. Hopefully I get to see a big one!

You can ask in the chat, usually people are friendly enough to let you climb aboard big ships.

How large is the download file? Because the 30th may not be enough time to finish the download on my slow connection.
Also, does this mean there is finally a solid release date now?

Zalusithix

The biggest you'll see at this point is the Starfarer, which is actually on the small side of the large ships. The truly big ones wont be out until later.

A pity they don't have shared hangars implemented yet to invite others to see a given ship without having to worry about the PU and all its related issues. I'd be happy to spawn any of the ships available to me, but dealing with the PU and its performance and instancing quirks is less than ideal.

Maddanth

Can anyone help? I created a free account and I'm trying to sign in. Keeps telling me to activate account but every time I click the link to activate account it takes me to a page 404 and tells me to plot new course. Trying to send an email to them but it won't let me log in as it's telling me I have wrong credentials or account is not activated. Anyone have any advice or encounter similar issues? Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly in advance.

This games scope, is......just.......................wow. So expansive. Was just flying around in ships for a while, and was getting caught by pirates and shit. it was very interesting.

Top Bottom