• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero & Guard - Review Thread

Was secretly hoping for it to be a surprise as well, but hey, I'm still hyped.

I even liked Assault, so bring it on gyro controls!

Revven

Fun fact; there are extra modes I'm not obliged to reveal at this time because of the embargo.

Wow, dumb. They still don't want us to know what the unlockables are? :|

Would really like to know definitively if Glass Canon mode can be unlocked without the Falco amiibo (it should be but we don't have anything concrete).

Also, getting the scores I expected. 70-80 range because of the controls. Makes sense.

sfried

Cgfst8jUkAINz-N.jpg:large
Guess I was more on the dot predicting 60s as the score (in large part because of the controls). Preorder's still in the bag though.

It's The Wonderful 101 all over again.

Azuardo

Cubed3

Star Fox Zero - 6/10

As much as there is to love in Star Fox Zero, sadly the awkward controls of various vehicles, and the horrendous forced second viewpoint and gyroscope targeting of regular Arwing and Landmaster stages almost ruin the entire experience. There are tremendous highs when the core Star Fox controls kick back in, but moments of frustration are present that simply wouldn't have been if feedback from early hands-on reports had been taken on-board. Learning curve or not, the forced control system is simply a disaster that needs to be patched out in a future update as it spoils what could have been a truly wondrous return to form. Thankfully, though, there are new vehicles brought in to expand the game considerably, along with some wonderful presentation and well developed stages, which do enough to keep the experience feeling fresh and enjoyable enough.

Star Fox Guard - 7/10

Star Fox Guard is a smart use of the GamePad controller, by using the touch-screen as a radar to add another layer of what's happening on the TV screen. A simple concept that has an arcade, frantic feel whilst slotting into the Star Fox universe with a handful of cheesy (though unfortunately voiceless) dialogue. The game perhaps could have done with more tower defence elements to extend the idea further, but as a standalone package it's a compelling little gem that does well in framing the GamePad's benefits and is worth a try.

Can't fathom how someone would give this game more than 6.

Nintendo games always get a free-pass. The only Nintendo game that I remember the press destroying is Doshin The Giant.

lt519

Yikes, was on the fence leaning towards no. Definitely a no now with all the other games out there to play.

BiggNife

this was expected? i was having low expectations on this one, but was hoping for a good title but its looks like isnt good

I expected mixed reviews, and this is definitely getting mixed reviews.

Looking at OpenCritic, the current score spread is this:

• Two reviews are 9 or above
  • Seven reviews are between 8 and 8.5
  • Ten reviews are between 7 and 7.5
  • Seven reviews are 6 or below
That is literally the definition of mixed impressions. The only consensus is that there is no consensus.

Sagittal

Banned
This game always had a 6-7 written all over it, my condolences goes to the people who somehow expected more from this title. At least it gives Nintendo even less reason to include a screened controller as standard with the NX.

Geg

Can't fathom how someone would give this game more than 6.

Nintendo games always get a free-pass. The only Nintendo game that I remember the press destroying is Doshin The Giant.

Was wondering how long it would take before "Nintendo always gets a free pass" shows up

sfried

No, TW101 had good reviews.
Good reviews hampered by unorthodox control complaints.

Except this time we have people who are seethingly against the gyro controls.

The gyrowing additions hampering is an interesting insight, but I wonder if this is the game's equivalent of "Blue Marine" (aka "least favorite") section.

This game always had a 6-7 written all over it, my condolences goes to the people who somehow expected more from this title. At least it gives Nintendo even less reason to include a screened controller as standard with the NX.
I am mostly just hoping this is the final nail in the coffin for gyro controls being the primary method instead of an optional control scheme.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Not surprised by the kinda low review scores considering most peoples in the press' opinion on motion, however i love motion and really looks forward to this!

totowhoa

Banned
Feels like something I'm going to need to rent. Having tight, responsive controls just seems necessary for me to really enjoy a semi-score-based action game like Star Fox.

Splatoon says NO

Keyword: "optional." Splatoon's gyro controls are good, and also optional for those who don't enjoy them. Star Fox's sound cumbersome by most, and many fewer people will like them. Too bad there's no option here, like there is in Splatoon. Forced gyro controls should never be a thing.

Lunar15

Good reviews hampered by unorthodox control complaints.

Except this time we have people who are seethingly against the gyro controls.

The gyrowing additions hampering is an interesting insight, but I wonder if this is the game's equivalent of "Blue Marine" (aka "least favorite") section.

Actually, I'd say the motion controls are the least of my problems.

The problem is that, at least for me, Star Fox feels extremely outdated and Zero doesn't do much to help it. The levels aren't very interesting, the whole thing feels short, and while there's replayability, I wouldn't say that it's done in a way that makes me want to keep coming back.

The motion controls are just a thing that seem questionable, but hardly a deal breaker.

In these trying times of mixed impressions I will have faith in Carter's review on Destructoid, that man is usually on my wavelength.

Seems like it'll be fun as a nostalgic throwback to the only game in the series that I really consider great coupled with a number of "why?" moments as gimmicks are shoehorned in.

eXistor

I didn't expect much out of reviews anyway. I'll be the judge of it in a few days, I'm expecting Star Fox 64 MKII anyway so I think I'm good.

Nemesis_

I am mostly just hoping this is the final nail in the coffin for gyro controls being the primary method instead of an optional control scheme.

Some encounters and enemies are designed around the whole "aim somewhere other than straight ahead mechanic. The game would be worse off without the gyro controls. Maybe that's the wrong wording - but the game would be kind of broken without them.

Sure they could've just made another Star Fox 64 but I don't think that was ever the point.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Games were better around 2002, so I'll take it.

Games in 2002.

Rez
Parappa the Rapper 2
Grandia 2
Maximo
Jet Set Radio Future
Zone of the Enders
UFC Tapout
Fatal Frame
Tony Hawk Pro Sakter 3
Virtua Fighter 4
Bloody Roar 3
Resident Evil Remake
Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowwind
Final Fantasy XI
Wipeout Fusion
Warcraft 3
Virtua Tennis 2
Super Mario Sunshine
SOCOM
Onimusha 2
Castlevania: HoD
Sly Cooper
Tekken 4
Burnout 2
Grandia Xtreme
Wild Arms 3
Balder's Gate: Dark Alliance
Suikoden 3
GTA: Vice City
WWE Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth
Ratchet and Clank
Metroid Prime
Metroid Fusion
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

You know what? I'll fucking take 2002.

Pyrokai

Just curious....reading GiantBomb's snippet in the OP about how it feels outdated in today's market.....what games exactly have dethroned Star Fox from this genre? Genuinely curious, not trying to be a dick. I want to play these games, lol.

Gamecentral liked it, good enough for me:

In Short: The sort of expertly orchestrated action you’d expect from a team-up between Nintendo and Platinum, but the lack of innovation is a little disappointing.

Pros: Finely honed third and first person action, with a wide range of vehicles that are a pleasure to control. Co-op options are a neat addition. Some great bosses and wonderfully cheesy dialogue.

Cons: The gameplay, and large parts of the stage design, are almost identical to the original games. Multi-view display adds very little and there’s a relative paucity of content.

Score: 8/10

http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/20/star-fox-zero-review-platinum-do-a-barrel-roll-5829937/

Just curious....reading GiantBomb's snippet in the OP about how it feels outdated in today's market.....what games exactly have dethroned Star Fox from this genre? Genuinely curious, not trying to be a dick. I want to play these games, lol.

Not exactly the same type of game, but check out Sin and Punishment: Star Successor if you haven't already.

Kid Icarus Uprising.

Oh yeah, this too.

totowhoa

Banned

There's not a lot of games like this. I think what he means is that the formula needed to evolve more than it did, not that this genre can't exist today.

Not exactly the same type of game, but check out Sin and Punishment: Star Successor if you haven't already.

And yeah this is probably my favorite in this genre.

Some encounters and enemies are designed around the whole "aim somewhere other than straight ahead mechanic. The game would be worse off without the gyro controls. Maybe that's the wrong wording - but the game would be kind of broken without them.

Sure they could've just made another Star Fox 64 but I don't think that was ever the point.

Oh I am not harping on motion controls, I mean just gyro controls. I figured if you could use a Wiimote Plus to aim it would probably be better. Gyro controls are not as accurate as stuff you get on Move/Wiimote Plus.

Kid Icarus Uprising.

Rogue Squadron 2 is pretty good likely my favorite arcade space shooter.

Kid Icarus Uprsing and Zero have very little in common aside from rail shooting segements.

Warxard

Banned
good job being deliberately obtuse

with the exception of korra and bayo platinum games rate from 73-83

Star Fox Zero is well below the review average of 75 on Metacritic.

It's at 69 now...but this could very well be Platinum's worst game in their catalogue if we're going by review reception

maxcriden

I've finished adding many, many reviews to the OP. If there is one you'd particularly like to see added, please let me know. Thanks all!

I'm not surprised. Development looked pretty strange (would not say chaotic). Never ends good.
The bad news is, this definitely puts Starfox as a C tiers franchise. I mean pretty low in Nintendo's portfolio, and for an IP this old.

This is a good thing! Now they'll have no choice but to try and revive F-Zero or Wave Race instead. At this point i'd take a butcher job of either over nothing too... sigh

georly

Totally expected these reviews. Still getting it. Hope I enjoy it as much as some did. Will play SF64 3D thur night to get ready.

Top Bottom