• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront III for Xbox 360 leaked

Star Wars Battlefront right now is pretty fun. I do wish there were more maps but it's a great start for me. Definitely not a Battlefield clone though I kind of wish it was. The original is much closer to Battlefield.

The things that make SWBIII so interesting in concept are probably what doomed it to cancellation. Dream big but also realistically.

The game looked too good, they had to cancel it and give the IP to EA so they can dumb it down. There was no excuse to make a reskin Battlefield game. BF4 brought back Titan Mode for fuck sake and they didn't even include that.

This sure doesn't seem as finished as Free Radical kept saying it was.

Content wise maybe?

mclem

This sure doesn't seem as finished as Free Radical kept saying it was.

It seems about as finished as the version I was aware of was.

It is from around 8 or 9 months before the game was canned. I believe it was pulled off a Rebellion development kit, where they had the game to do what became Elite Squadron.

Well, that would be why it's about as finished as the one I was aware of - it is the one I was aware of!

mclem

20 maps from the alpha:

Tatooine
Cato Nemoda
Desolation Station
Hoth
Yavin
Yavin IV
Endor
Dathromr
Mustafar
Kashyyk
Death Star II
Star Destroyer
Invisible Hand
Republic Acclamator
Cis Munificent
Rebel Nebulon-B
Imperial Interdictor
Old Imperial Shipyard
Beam Laser Transport
Droid Control Ship

20 f*cking maps!!!!

Given the 'vertical battlefield' design, it was the case that each actual level used multiple of those maps as you moved from planet -> space -> orbital ship. In other words, don't read '20 maps' as, well, '20 levels', IYSWIM.

Borman

It seems about as finished as the version I was aware of was.

Well, that would be why it's about as finished as the one I was aware of - it is the one I was aware of!

:) I figured it was passed on to you guys just so you had something playable from what they were doing. Always happy to talk about these things if you want to send me a PM, I can't remember if Ive asked in the past.

The AI for the Space to Ground and all it required to make it fun is the thing that slowed the game down the most. Lots to calculate there.

And (just about) every map in BF3 was split into large, medium, and small versions.

Well it was LucasFilm's fault too, having everything being CG in the PT. DICE couldn't use PBR and photogrammery to create models of PT stuff.

mclem

:) I figured it was passed on to you guys just so you had something playable from what they were doing. Always happy to talk about these things if you want to send me a PM, I can't remember if Ive asked in the past.

It's been too long, I think everything I recall is basically covered by that earlier post I linked.

The biggest thing that actually impacted us, as I understand it, was the rate assets were coming from FRD; we were meant to be using those assets to produce our downgraded ones and - for whatever reason - I was given to understand that we simply weren't getting them in. It's always a bit tricky to talk about; I was pretty low down the totem pole, and wasn't in any way in direct communication with LA or FRD, so everything I've said about the FRD BF3 should be taken as hearsay, although probably slightly better-informed hearsay than some!

In principle the VBF stuff was interesting, but it often struck me that it made levels that were sort-of-too vertical - in that you'd have a terrain that was, say, a 4 square mile patch on the ground which would extend upwards for hundreds of miles!

Top Bottom