• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Celebration 2017 |OT| A thread forty years in the making. You'll be Omazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Has anyone talked about Daisey Ridley's comments on how people are reacting to the rough cut of TLJ? Apparently it's "different." That doesn't sound very encouraging.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-8-last-jedi-different/

She obviously means this in a good way, it's not like she's going to be like "guys I have bad news, the next movie is shit".

And we already know it's different since it starts off right where TFA ends and it has flashbacks to the massacre, it's already structured unlike any other Star Wars film.

watershed

Banned
Has anyone talked about Daisey Ridley's comments on how people are reacting to the rough cut of TLJ? Apparently it's "different." That doesn't sound very encouraging.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-8-last-jedi-different/

Depends on what "different" looks like. When it first released, ESB had children crying in the theater and a lot of fans feeling like it was too dark and cold. It was much later that ESB rose in status as the best SW film. My major worry, and I'm not sure why, is 'do characters behave consistent to their established character?' Different can be great but I don't want characters suddenly saying things or making choices that don't fit with who the past movie(s) have told us they are.

Depends on what "different" looks like. When it first released, ESB had children crying in the theater and a lot of fans feeling like it was too dark and cold. It was much later that ESB rose in status as the best SW film. My major worry, and I'm not sure why, is 'do characters behave consistent to their established character?' Different can be great but I don't want characters suddenly saying things or making choices that don't fit with who the past movie(s) have told us they are.
Mark Hamil didn't like the direction Rian took with Luke at first but warmed up when he saw the finished product. Take from that what you will.

Ridisc

Banned
i think most of us can agree whether we liked TFA or not (I did) that SW has to take risks going forward and expand if its going to have a future, I think it was the right decision to do what JJ did (And it paid off in regards to overall sentiment, returns) and its right now we have the second film to push the boundaries.

watershed

Banned
Mark Hamil didn't like the direction Rian took with Luke at first but warmed up when he saw the finished product. Take from that what you will.

Yeah I read that and had it in my mind as I was writing my post. It just depends on how well this "different" is executed. The prequels are a special level of bad, but when it comes to turns/changes in character what I don't want is Anakin throwing himself at Palpatine's feet and saying "yes, I'll murder kids for you."

Sorry if this has been posted already but I love how funny and to the point Mark Hamill is with his fans!
About Force Awakens
It does make me wonder though about how exactly George Lucas would have done the Sequel Trilogy. We know that the script is out there somewhere.

EDIT: The comments are cancer as usual.

It does make me wonder though about how exactly George Lucas would have done the Sequel Trilogy. We know that the script is out there somewhere..

I want to see that script so badly

There was no script. Wasn't even an outline. Just notes.

edit: I'm starting to wonder if Mark talking about all this stuff as freely as he's been talking about it means anything with regards to his character's potentially surviving this film.

I want to do this the right way next time, I feel unfulfilled.

I was incredibly down for missing the 40th with Ford and John Williams, it was a double gut punch, then they shit up the photo and autograph sessions.

...then Rian Johnson met all of us individually, signed our badges and took photos. Then I saw Daisy, Boyega, Kennedy, Josh Gad and Kelly Tran IRL and the teaser trailer and got a free teaser poster on the way out.

So it like sorta evened out, for me. If I could go back and pick one of the panels it would have been the 40th as there's no way I'd see Ford or Williams again, that was a one time chance right there, but then so was what happened at the TLJ panel.

Einchy

Are there any notable panels aside from the closing ceremony tomorrow?

Also, RIP the Solo and Obi-Wan dream.

Surfinn

edit: I'm starting to wonder if Mark talking about all this stuff as freely as he's been talking about it means anything with regards to his character's potentially surviving this film.
I remember Lucas saying something like "they didn't use my ideas", didn't he? I want to see what he wanted to do.

I mean

All of you fucks have been bitching about TFA not being different enough

The rest of the quote:

So I think with Rian's vision and his image, and also I think he had J.J., who you know brought all the old fans back and the new fans in and he had all this stuff. Rian, I think, had more room to kind of do his thing.

It doesn't sound like negative connotation at all

Surfinn

Sounds so safe. You know, with Kasdan calling it "weird", Daisy calling it "different", and Mark being initially weary about the direction.

Very Disneyfiyed
Yeah. He had a bunch of notes. He didn't have an outline or a script. It was just notes, as it turns out.

They didn't really use 'em.

I wonder if his notes spanned across a trilogy

Sounds so safe. You know, with Kasdan calling it "weird", Daisy calling it "different", and Mark being initially weary about the direction.

Very Disneyfiyed

Eh, what'll happen is that it'll turn out great because it'll be sort of an oddball which will please some people, but divide others for being risky. Then the discussion will move from "it's too safe/no it's not" to "it's too different/no it's not"

The cycle will continue with every single film. I've seen people say they liked Rogue One more than Awakens because they thought Rogue One was different, and I've seen people say Rogue One wasn't good because it had too much fanservice and nostalgia pandering to them. So basically you have people so far that think both Rogue One and Awakens were fanservice fests and people that don't. Likewise with TLJ, some will appreciate the change in direction and others will argue it.

There will never be balance.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Eh, what'll happen is that it'll turn out great because it'll be sort of an oddball which will please some people, but divide others for being risky. Then the discussion will move from "it's too safe/no it's not" to "it's too different/no it's not"

The cycle will continue with every single film. I've seen people say they liked Rogue One more than Awakens because they thought Rogue One was different, and I've seen people say Rogue One wasn't good because it had too much fanservice and nostalgia pandering to them. So basically you have people so far that think both Rogue One and Awakens were fanservice fests and people that don't. Likewise with TLJ, some will appreciate the change in direction and others will argue it.

The GAF must end.

People won't be able to handle it if Luke isn't some super polite perfect Force Jesus, and this is what everything points at so far.

The fact of the matter is that Luke found the first Jedi temple on that island, found the Whills book, and found reasons within why there doesn't need to be "Jedi." I mean, he found and saw some shit and that changed him.

Surfinn

I feel like HC SW fans get less and less reasonable everyday. There is literally no creation that's not gunna completely piss off a chunk of them.

Like the empire strikes back level of greatness wouldn't be enough

Einchy

I wonder how much shit Empire would get if it released now.

"he doesn't even say I love you back!"

"frozen in carbonite? FUCKING DUUUUMB"

Attending the 40th panel was like the most ultimate Star Wars event I could put to paper. I know I'll get to see the sequel trilogy cast at the next Celebration so I'm not too upset about missing TLJ panel.

Shit I don't think I posted my haul.

CukpfPA.jpg

5NHlcLU.jpg

3TDVUvV.jpg

LvTP3oO.jpg

FKQdIKb.jpg

I know looking at YouTube comments is something that shouldn't be done but I took a look at the top two trending Star Wars videos (TLJ trailer and Battlefront II) and they are so full of negative comments. Lots of upset white men.
Attending the 40th panel was like the most ultimate Star Wars event I could put to paper. I know I'll get to see the sequel trilogy cast at the next Celebration so I'm not too upset about missing TLJ panel.

Shit I don't think I posted my haul.
That Beginnings Stormtrooper looks amazing.

Awesome stuff. I didn't get a hell of a whole lot, but I came out with some incredibly treasured things.

-Badges signed by Rian Johnson
-Picture with Hayden Christensen and Rian Johnson
-Hayden's autograph
-original TFA poster signed by the artist
-TLJ teaser poster

That's about it really. After the TLJ panel I could barely stand up and it was stupid crowded so we just left. I wanted some things like the Celebration artwork poster, a copy of Thrawn signed by Zahn and other things, but they ran out of everything pretty much.

Surfinn

I know looking at YouTube comments is something that shouldn't be done but I took a look at the top two trending Star Wars videos (TLJ trailer and Battlefront II) and they are so full of negative comments. Lots of upset white men.

That Beginnings Stormtrooper looks amazing.
Red Letter Media, hard at work.

Awesome stuff. I didn't get a hell of a whole lot, but I came out with some incredibly treasured things.

-Badges signed by Rian Johnson
-Picture with Hayden Christensen and Rian Johnson
-Hayden's autograph
-original TFA poster signed by the artist
-TLJ teaser poster

That's about it really. After the TLJ panel I could barely stand up and it was stupid crowded so we just left. I wanted some things like the Celebration artwork poster, a copy of Thrawn signed by Zahn and other things, but they ran out of everything pretty much and scalpers were able to get multiples of things, I saw some asshole post a picture of like eight of those Luke Skywalker Celebration exclusive figures.

The Alan Tudyk signature is my fave get out of my stuff. Love the guy so much. I got my picture with Mark but it was so horribly unfun and rushed that I couldn't even be bothered to post a pic of it. Probably crumbled up in my bag somewhere. Shit just pissed me off and I even skipped my Hayden photo as a result. And his autograph stuff went even worse apparently so yeah. Great job there event people.

Boke1879

People better not start shit about it being described as "different".

It's clearly a Star Wars movie. There's going to be Star Warsy stuff in it. This is evident in the trailer.

Different doesn't even sound negative in this sense. There's just probably something in this film that is going to turn out world upside down in regards to what we know etc.

The Alan Tudyk signature is my fave get out of my stuff. Love the guy so much. I got my picture with Mark but it was so horribly unfun and rushed that I couldn't even be bothered to post a pic of it. Probably crumbled up in my bag somewhere. Shit just pissed me off and I even skipped my Hayden photo as a result. And his autograph stuff went even worse apparently so yeah. Great job there event people.

Yeah, our photo was at 1:30, autograph at 3:30.

Got in line around 12:30, photos didn't start until 2:45. Got in line for autographs after that, autographs didn't start until about 4:30.

Cluster. Fuck. This also resulted in us getting out a lot later than anticipated, which added to the stress of trying to get in line for the TLJ panel.

I feel for Mark. It's got to be hard passing that torch. Harrison don't give a fuck because he wanted to be done with Star Wars and he got like 20 mill and percentage of profits.

Blader

When did Hamill say he was uncertain or weary of Rian's direction until he saw the film? During the TLJ panel, he said he loved Rian's previous films and trusted him implicitly. Was there another panel where he talked about it?

Just so you guys know the video I linked was not from my channel and i definitely do not agree with the comments. I got enough of those types of comments from fans already from the convention.

I just thought what Mark Hamill said was interesting. Though judging from the other videos posted, there's clearly an agenda there.

When did Hamill say he was uncertain or weary of Rian's direction until he saw the film? During the TLJ panel, he said he loved Rian's previous films and trusted him implicitly. Was there another panel where he talked about it?

In an interview he said that he didn't agree with his direction for Luke at first, but went along with it as it was his story and ended up liking it.

Oh whoops! Sorry about that! I didn't mean to spread false info! I must have misread it.

I still don't personally understand why people are so upset by this new era. I mean, we are getting new movies after such a long time! That still boggles me! I'm just happy about that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom