• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Celebration 2017 |OT| A thread forty years in the making. You'll be Omazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Lots of talking plus a bit of the con plague maybe? I missed part of the stream if he mentioned it. Some good stories though.

It's not surprising since you say one word to Mark and he tells you a story. I'm sure he hasn't stopped talking since he arrived there.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I like how he talks about this movie having a lot more room to breath with the characters, and you can totally tell from the trailers.

TheXbox

Interview with Rian Johnson on TLJ "mirroring" Empire Strikes Back, the opening scroll and Rey's parentage.

https://www.facebook.com/MTV/videos/1533279206714258/
Puts the nail in the coffin of my prologue theory.

Rian's right, though. Even if the film opens straight where TFA left, there's still a lot of blank space between Rey and Chewie departing the Resistance Base and arriving on Ahch To. What's the First Order doing? Is the Republic still a thing?

Maybe it's not the most... inspired introduction, but it could work.

Boke1879

Puts the nail in the coffin of my prologue theory.

Rian's right, though. Even if the film opens straight where TFA left, there's still a lot of blank space between Rey and Chewie departing the Resistance Base and arriving on Ahch To. What's the First Order doing? Is the Republic still a thing?

Maybe it's not the most... inspired introduction, but it could work.

Yup. It'll serve like a set up like it always has.

Did you ever doubt him Bobby?

Not once.

Re: the crawl, I always figured it'd either talk about the Republic's scrambling after losing Hosnian Prime, or the First Order scrambling after losing Starkiller base (probably both).

Question is whether we pan down to a First Order ship and catch up to Hux/Kylo immediately before heading back to Ahch-To, or whether the open of this teaser is literally the open of the film.

I expect most of the crawl will be taken up by the Republic being in disarray after the attack on Hosnian Prime, the destruction of Starkiller Base and that the First Order are bringing the fight to the Resistance which Rian went into a bit in the panel.

-griffy-

Banned
Not once.

Re: the crawl, I always figured it'd either talk about the Republic's scrambling after losing Hosnian Prime, or the First Order scrambling after losing Starkiller base (probably both).

Question is whether we pan down to a First Order ship and catch up to Hux/Kylo immediately before heading back to Ahch-To, or whether the open of this teaser is literally the open of the film.

You know, the first shot of the teaser is set up to look like a star field at first, before fading up to reveal it's actually glints of light on the wet rocks. Is that a clever opening shot coming out of a crawl, used as a some kind of framing device before jumping back to where TFA ended?

You know, the first shot of the teaser is set up to look like a star field at first, before fading up to reveal it's actually glints of light on the wet rocks. Is that a clever opening shot coming out of a crawl, used as a some kind of framing device before jumping back to where TFA ended?

I remember thinking the first shot of the TFA trailer might end up being the first shot of TFA, because for a split second that curtain she swipes away looks like a starfield, and I thought "can you imagine if the scroll finishes, and there isn't a pan at all - Rey literally grabs the starfield and shoves it out of the way as her introduction?"

They didn't do that, obviously, but man.

-griffy-

Banned
I remember thinking the first shot of the TFA trailer might end up being the first shot of TFA, because for a split second that curtain she swipes away looks like a starfield, and I thought "can you imagine if the scroll finishes, and there isn't a pan at all - Rey literally grabs the starfield and shoves it out of the way as her introduction?"

They didn't do that, obviously, but man.

I had that same thought, because it seemed exactly like the kind of subversion Abrams would do (which is partly why I thought of it for TLJ now too).

TheXbox

Not once.

I assume the opening of the film is the end of TFA. They shot that encounter for Episode VIII, and I think Rian has made it pretty clear he wants to see how that exchange plays out. I'm not sure why (it's pretty obvious what happens based on the teaser), but that's his call.

They could open with something else, and then cut to that meeting on the summit, but that seems... Idk. Kinda weird? Like people might get the perception that MORE time has passed where those two are just staring at each other.

RyanW

I guess it's still possible they can announce it at the closing panel but I was really hoping for some sort of big 40th Anniversary movie box set. Not the original theatrical versions but just something nice with the first 6 movies.

I don't personally own my own set of them so it would be nice to have a really good reason to grab them.

I assume the opening of the film is the end of TFA. They shot that encounter for Episode VIII, and I think Rian has made it pretty clear he wants to see how that exchange plays out. I'm not sure why (it's pretty obvious what happens based on the teaser), but that's his call.

They could open with something else, and then cut to that meeting on the summit, but that seems... Idk. Kinda weird? Like people might get the perception that MORE time has passed where those two are just staring at each other.

It's likely going to be the former of the suggestions I made - a crawl talking about the aftermath of Hosnian Prime & Starkiller Base, what the First Order is planning to do in response, and Rey having finally found Luke. those will probably be the three grafs. And then we'll pan down to a planet, which is likely wherever Snoke is hanging out, and the ship will come into view, and we'll cut to the interior of the ship, and catch up with Kylo & Hux after getting their asses beat.

Once that whole sequence is finished, (probably with Kylo getting all pissed off about not finding Skywalker) we'll cut to Daisy handing Luke the saber and pick up from there.

Surfinn

Totally agree with you guys about the crawl being a lot about the resistance and first order getting their scrambling shit together.

I like the idea because it helps to retain the scope of the galaxy and general conflict. Keeps Star Wars big.

Which is why I'm thinking it opens with what happened with Luke's group and Kylo. Starting with a flashback where bad things are happening sets the stage, immediately gives us more information about that and would allow for the end of TFA and that first meeting to not have to literally open the film after the crawl.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Bleh, I can't watch this without making an account. Can someone paraphrase what he says?

-According to Rian, The Last Jedi is going to be the film where you "slow down a bit" where we get a chance to "dig into the characters".
-In terms of the opening crawl, Rian seems to imply there will be one (as expected), and that it'll help set up some stuff, despite the minimal time-skip between 7 and 9.
-Rian hopes the film will be "emotionally satisfying".

-According to Rian, The Last Jedi is going to be the film where you "slow down a bit" where we get a chance to "dig into the characters".
-In terms of the opening crawl, Rian seems to imply there will be one (as expected), and that it'll help set up some stuff, despite the minimal time-skip between 7 and 9.
Me on opening night:
3281b973c02ec9e1748c18da4d4543a89ab5d1c8.gif

TheXbox

Which is why I'm thinking it opens with what happened with Luke's group and Kylo. Starting with a flashback where bad things are happening sets the stage, immediately gives us more information about that and would allow for the end of TFA and that first meeting to not have to literally open the film after the crawl.
This is what I want.

It's likely going to be the former of the suggestions I made - a crawl talking about the aftermath of Hosnian Prime & Starkiller Base, what the First Order is planning to do in response, and Rey having finally found Luke. those will probably be the three grafs. And then we'll pan down to a planet, which is likely wherever Snoke is hanging out, and the ship will come into view, and we'll cut to the interior of the ship, and catch up with Kylo & Hux after getting their asses beat.

Once that whole sequence is finished, (probably with Kylo getting all pissed off about not finding Skywalker) we'll cut to Daisy handing Luke the saber and pick up from there.
This is what will happen. Kinda awkward, but oh well.

Toa TAK

Banned
Sounds excellent and exactly what I'm looking for in this (and
in most blockbusters).

Davide

More specifically talking about Rey's parentage.

"Well, I don't know....I hope that they are satisfied but I also, you know the least interesting thing in the world I think is....here's the answer to your question, sliding the piece of paper, but at the same time, the goal was never to draw more mys...questions, you know. Put it this way, I hope it's emotionally satisfying, you know that's always the goal for me and so. Hmmm it's never to play coy and toy people along, it's always about what's going to be emotionally satisfying. And make sense for these characters."

JonCha

Sounds excellent and exactly what I'm looking for in this (and
in most blockbusters).

Yep. TFA did this well in the first third of the film but after that became a pretty boring action romp for me. I feel like the original trilogy films took a lot more time developing characters, e.g. when Luke's on Dagobah with Yoda.

sphagnum

Banned
Not once.

Considering they refilmed Rey handing Luke the saber and there was that screened footage of Luke saying
"Who are you?"
, I don't think the opening of the trailer is the start of the film.

I think Rey has just emerged from a Force vision that will end with a starscape and that's how we transition back to reality.

Surfinn

No way is the opening shot the start of EP8. Not like they're just staring at each other then Rey suddenly falls to the ground. There's gunna be a direct continuation of the scene we were left with in TFA.

Yep. TFA did this well in the first third of the film but after that became a pretty boring action romp for me. I feel like the original trilogy films took a lot more time developing characters, e.g. when Luke's on Dagobah with Yoda.

Well, hold up. :p You referenced "like in ESB" which was the second film in the originals. TFA and ANH are the introductory episodes where you meet everyone through a series of actions where they get thrown into a mess together. I would also argue that TFA's major action sequences were the Jakku escape, the First Order attack on Takodana, and the lightsaber duel at the end. There's other bits of action like the aerial battle, but it's super brief as it focuses on the characters. I would also argue that the lightsaber duel between Rey, Finn and Kylo was also as character driven as the duel at the end of Empire.

So I really disagree that it becomes a boring action romp as the focus sticks really close to the characters. The third act of TFA is largely about Han and Leia trying to reel Kylo back in. The turning point of TFA isn't during action, but when Kylo kills Han. All of that stuff is super character driven and the Han/Kylo scene is among my favorite in the series as its very theatrical and has excellent cinematography, writing and performances. Finn's primary objective at Starkiller is to rescue Rey. Then you get this 1-2 minute at the most sequence of the X-Wing assault placed between the lightsaber duel, which is where Finn finally takes up a huge amount of courage, Kylo learns he's not all that and the Force "awakens" in Rey.

I mean, I honestly don't think any of it is a mindless action movie that ditches the characters. TFA is in the upper echelon of SW films for me personally because I think it does stay squarely centered on them and the drama. When the action of the lightsaber duel comes in, it's more exciting because of how the stage is set through the character drama. And back to your Empire reference, as Johnson said, Last Jedi, the second film, like Empire is where it slows down to really get deeper into things.

TFA does what the first "act" of a story does, and you can compare a trilogy to a three-act structure. Each of the films have their own three act structure of course, but you can also look at the first as the intro that moves a bit faster and introduces everything, the middle, second act where things get more complicated and then the resolution with the third act/third film.

You should be able to. Press the 'Not Now' button and you can play the video. I wasn't logged in but could watch it.
I'm on mobile so it just prompts me to log in when I try to play it.
Thanks!

I will say, and it's my only real complaint about TFA but I think that there is something missing between where Rey gets taken by Kylo and the finale. It does feel like a lot was cut. There was that snowspeeder chase that was completely cut for example. I could have used a few more scenes/sequences before the Kylo and Han scene.

Hoping they announce where next Celebration is today. Dunno if they will but I'm ready to start making plans already lol

Especially based on this experience. The site says we can only bring chairs that fold up and can fit in a small bag? LOL! Don't have to bring a jacket as we're in Orlando and it'll be a fine temperature in the queue line? LOL!

Metalmarc

Hoping they announce where next Celebration is today. Dunno if they will but I'm ready to start making plans already lol

Especially based on this experience. The site says we can only bring chairs that fold up and can fit in a small bag? LOL! Don't have to bring a jacket as we're in Orlando and it'll be a fine temperature in the queue line? LOL!

And not until 2019

Did any Gafers take photos they'd like share when they get home and have spare time? Been enjoying looking at peoples photos at the con online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom