• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor Coming To PS4 And Xbox One

Romulus

Lol if the ps5 gen leap wasn't already the worst ever. Not only do next gen games run shitty or low resolution, the developers don't even believe their real next gen games. "Eh fuck it, nothing the ps4 can't do with a couple downgrades."

Hell even exclusive devs are struggling to show what next gen is now.

Last edited:
Lol if the ps5 gen leap wasn't already the worst ever. Not only do next gen games run shitty or low resolution, the developers don't even believe their real next gen games. "Eh fuck it, nothing the ps4 can't do with a couple downgrades."

But we need a PS5 Pro and everything will be ok….

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm trying to imagine what they can downgrade, honestly. Turning off ray tracing obviously (which should have never been in the console version at all), but I'm guessing that's all they need to do. The rest is already a PS4 game.
This is an actual image from the games current (at launch at least) "Performance mode".

jedis-xsx-perf-s2.png

Topher

Gold Member
This is an actual image from the games current (at launch at least) "Performance mode".

jedis-xsx-perf-s2.png

That is accurate. "Quality" mode isn't much better frankly and that choppy 30fps makes it even worse to me. And then there's the load times. You try to leave your room from inside the saloon and the door will not open. I thought I had encountered a bug. Nope. It's loading the next area. There are two lights at the top of the door. When it is loading, the lights show yellow. When it is done loading, they turn green. Took me a few tries to figure it out. 10 to 15 seconds loads at times. No way that should happen when fast traveling to complete different areas in games like Hogwarts take less time than opening a damn door in Jedi Survivor. I think EA forced this game out the door months too early. Technically it is just horrible.

There is really no excuse for this. I'm going to be more interested in the DF following the last gen version more than most.

Edit:

Another thing. If you had told me that the developers of video game versions of Disney games like Cars 3 and Toy Story 3 would totally outclass Respawn, the makers of Titanfall and Jedi Fallen Order, then there is no emoji that would have fully expressed my laughter. And yet here we are. Hogwart's Legacy is light years more technically impressive than Jedi Survivor, imo.

Last edited:

drganon

EA being greedy assholes as usual. Won't fix the current gen version but will make a last Gen port. I'll save my money for another game. If they ever get around to fixing it I'll get it used at gamestop if they still exist.

DaGwaphics

On PS5 it drops to 17fps in the quality mode and goes as low as 648p in performance mode (while somehow looking like 480p) although with RT GI according to DF.

It would be funny if, without RT, it looks cleaner on PS4. Let’s be honest it can’t look any worse than the PS5 performance mode unless Respawn come round and rub sand in your eyes but can they beat the 17fps target? I guess time will tell..

Looking forward to the analysis videos if nothing else.

I wouldn't be surprised if it runs okay on the old platforms. The XSS handles it well at 30fps since it doesn't include the RT (why they didn't make this the basis of the PS5/XSX performance mode is a big question mark IMO). Depends on how CPU heavy it is.

Mobilemofo

Respawn should just stop making star wars games, a focus all resources on Titanfall 3. It really is that simple.

TheShocker

They really should focus on the performance and IQ issues on current gen consoles first. Great game but it’s got some problems.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Publishers have stopped caring man.

Thief1987

No way they said this.
"Game director Stig Asmussen claimed real-time ray tracing and other next-gen capabilities enable Respawn to operate "at a quality that's much above anything that we've ever developed before." By exclusively targeting ninth-generation consoles, Survivor enjoys significantly faster load times with a development team that is no longer obligated to support the older PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles the first game launched on.This is due to the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S consoles featuring a solid-state drive (SSD) that enables much faster asset loading times compared to a hard drive."

fatmarco

People saying they lied about it being designed for next gen only, but how is that not true? The game can barely run on current gen, and as it stands without a complete overhaul would be impossible to run on Xbox One and PS4.

I can't actually remember, but did people say these things when they eventually ported the Witcher 3 to the Switch? That the Witcher 3 was no longer a next gen game because years later they managed to get it working on a switch?

When Doom got running on a calculator, did people start saying it was no longer a "True DOS game" lol?

HL3.exe

Because there are no next gen games.
What "next gen" thing did Jedi survivor do other than having better graphics? Next gen so far is last gen games with marginally better graphics and dumb shit like ray tracing bringing us back to sub 60fps sub 1080p territory again

The only new game that seems remotely next gen so far is Startfield and they are doing it in the most straightforward way possible: Size.
Yes, That's why i'm still waiting for some kind of simulation fidelity leap like San Andreas -> GTA IV. But with the focus on visual and devs in general sticking to the 'if it ain't broke, why fix it' mechanics design, modern games will still feel like PS360 games, that look stellar but play very familiar.

Reactions: Fbh

Just_one

Critics need to star being a lot harsher towards games with technical issues. FF16 is another game that has no business having its performance mode run so bad with the visuals it's delivering.
IGN gave Zelda ToK a 10 despite stating it had performance issues LOL

Mr.Phoenix

Next gen was a mistake.
Ignorant hot take? Or just a hot take?

How about we place blame here it needs to go. Its not a platform's fault if some devs are just useless and take no pride in their work.

I dont know where this notion came from that having powerful consoles would suddenly make devs better.

TrebleShot

Damn, whats the point? do they really think they will get that many sales to make it worth it.
I just got this on PS5/PC and decided to play on PC with the DLSS 3 MOD and even then without FG it is so inconsistent it dips to mid to high 40s.
I then jumped over to PS5 out of curiosity and yeah runs like a dumpster fire in performance mode, in quality mode it seemed ok, but obviously at 30fps and hadn't got to Kobeh.

Nevermind ey. This will run and look like shit on PS4.

Romulus

Publishers have stopped caring man.

I bet anything it's social media/apps. People are constantly distracted now. If you look at 90s or early 2000s pics inside game studios they were hyper focused. I saw one recently were half the staff was on their phones. It adds up.

Last edited:
Hilarious to release it on more (far weaker) platforms when it's still an utter mess on Consoles/PC

I could not have worded it better myself.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and its sequel, Survivor, are both superb games in terms of gameplay design and feeling like part of the Star Wars universe but both games have tons of technical issues that have never been fully fixed by Respawn. In many ways, Respawn are like FromSoftware, a talented studio that can design great games but just don't seem to have the technical expertise to make them run competently!

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I can already see that happening 😂

For context the most recent patch for consoles made things noticeably worse.

Really? Holy shit. I really liked the original and was looking forward to this, but decided to wait when I heard about the performance. Guess I'll play it when it comes to PS+ whenever...

Doczu

Guys, don't buy. Fuck them, first they said it was impossible, and now they want some extra buck.

And don't forget the very best of super late cross gen games from the PS 3-4 era. Dragon Quest Inquisition and Shadow of Mordor. It won't be pretty. It won't run smooth. And it will have cut backs.

Allandor

I guess it could run on that hardware, if they clear up all those bugs and optimize the code. So far the game runs bad on any hardware.
I didn't buy the game because of what a mess the game was at launch (and still is). It is a good fun game but the technical problems were so obvious I just couldn't support such a launch.

Top Bottom