• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Thread #987: I need that Obi Wan spin-off and I need it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
tumblr_m4vjl7AGVD1rvfvt3o1_500-1432137696.gif

So as pretty much everyone and their lightsaber wielding grandma knows at this point...a few years back, Disney purchased LucasFilm and as such, they're now going to be producing a fresh series of Star Wars movies, including this December's seventh Star Wars installment The Force Awakens. To coincide with these new movies, a series of Star Wars spin-offs are going to be released, referred to as "Star Wars Stories", focusing on self-contained adventures taking place in the ever expansive Star Wars universe.

Two of these spin-offs have already been announced. First we can expect Star Wars: Rogue One, a film detailing the rebel's initial attempt to steal the plan's for the first Death Star. Next, there's apparently going to be a spin-off following the exploits of a young Han Solo. Will this work? I don't know...just...just get the character to say "Never tell me the odds!" a few times for fan-service and cast Zack Efron in the role. Great.

Unknown-6.jpeg

Now Disney-Lucasfilm have announced their intention to make at least one more spin-off film, and according to several spurious reports that are a few months old now...the studios might just be considering making a film following Obi Wan Kenobi, specifically focusing on one of his adventures that occurred in the 19 year timegap between Revenge of the Sith and New Hope.

Whether those reports are true or not, this has always seemed like such a perfect (not to mention obvious) idea in my eyes, and not just because Obi-Wan Kenobi happens to be my favorite Star Wars character of all time.

Uui2dd8.jpg

As one of the very few actors in the frankly rubbish prequel films who seemed to actually be passionate about his character, I feel like Ewan McGregor totally deserves the chance to reprise the role of Obi-Wan in a passionately-directed, well-written science fiction movie, one perhaps that could focus on the Jedi Master's initial struggles to adjust to life as an exile whilst trying to over-come his guilt on account of inadvertently training one of the most legendary psychopath's in the galaxy. A film which would have the chance to explore the character with some degree of depth, whilst also getting to showcase Kenobi's trademark wit and uncorruptable decency.

As a film following Obi-Wan after his self imposed exiled on Tatooine, the story opportunities are pretty much endless too! You could do a hard-boiled Western Story set entirely on the desert planet, with Obi-Wan protecting a group of villagers from a band of mercenaries or something. Or maybe we could follow the Jedi Master reluctantly going off-planet for one last Galactic adventure (an idea that has been touched upon previously in the original EU Novels). Regardless of the story they might choose to go with, there's definitely a ridiculous amount of narrative potential there.

mFCZq53.jpg

As one of the most iconic and widely quoted Star Wars characters of all time, Obi-Wan has probably appeared in more films, novelizations, television series and comic books than any other character. A recent Star Wars poll even had the guy voted by fans as the most popular Star Wars character of all time.

Hell, even Ewan McGregor has voiced his interest in reprising the role once more. And with ten years having passed since Revenge of the Sith was first made, he's even the perfect age for it!

web-EWAN_MCGREGOR_TWEET_DN0.jpg

web-2-EWAN_MCGREGOR_TWEET_D.jpg

Out of all the classic Star Wars characters Disney and Lucasfilm could choose to base a spn-off film around, I can't help but feel Obi Wan is by far the most deserving. They've got the right character, the right timeframe, the right actor...all they need to do now is push the button before it's too late.

Help us, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're our only hope.

obi_wan_kenobi_gif_by_valonniles-d5qp1yg.gif

Fj0823

I honestly think McGregor someone who loved the role and did a great job deserves to be remembered as Obi-Wan far more than Guiness who hated the role and sometimes you could see how annoyed he was.

So yeah. Lets do it!!

NimbusD

Only if it were Ewan Mcgregor would I be remotely interested.

EDIT: and for that matter if they ever decided to bring back christiansen somehow for a clone wars spinoff movie, I'd be ok with that evne if he had to be make-uped up for the role. Dude's not the best actor but deserves a bit better than being remembered for that shit.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Zac Efron as Han?
M4oe5vt.gif
M4oe5vt.gif
M4oe5vt.gif

Get a good looking actor that can actually ACT. My vote goes to Chris Evans.

tMwAsoT.jpg

If its like the Korean movie 'spring, summer, autumn, winter ... and spring' but wearing star wars pyjamas it would be awesome (though for tatooine it would obviously have to be 'summer, summer, summer, summer ... and summer' : a star wars story)

If its an amazing galaxy spanning super adventure i'd really rather they didn't bother.

Ewen was really great in those prequel movies. He's a good part of why Obi-Wan is my favorite Star Wars character. Along with the character arc I like the best.

teeny

Zac Efron? Nope. *

Anthony Ingruber played a young Ford in The Age of Adaline. Cast him as Han in a spin off!

vfARtgU.png

On topic, an Obi Wan film would be amazing. I doubt he would have stayed on Tatooine permanently. I'm sure he got into some stuff which may have almost revealed his true nature - it would be interesting to explore how Obi Wan became Ben.

* I actually really like Efron but I just cannot see him as Han.

FloatOn

Obi Wan would be cool and all but I want to go way back to when Yoda was in his prime

I want to know about this mysterious little fucker

If they come up with a good script, sure. Obi-Wan is in an awkward position for anything epic, which a movie is almost required to be. There are almost no jedi left and he's presumed dead, so he can't really be flying around in ships or fighting sith lords. The Seven Samurai type story, while cool, might not be a grand enough story for a blockbuster these days, unless you want to break the established rules of the story.

babuchy

if they have to make a spin off of Obi-Wan Kenobi, only Ewan McGregor may be the hero... and please Liam Neeson force ghost too!!!! please disney!!!!

SpaceWolf

Banned
Efron is a solid actor to be honest. Not amazing but I've enjoyed a few of the movies he is in. I have no idea who I'd pick as Hans though.

Joking aside, I do actually quite like Efron. From the interviews I've seen of him, he seems like a lovely guy and he's definitely proven he can act. I'm just not a fan of the idea of doing a Han Solo spin-off movie in general. The idea of an Obi-Wan movie is infinitely more appealing to me, if purely because all the pieces to make it work are right there.

I can't imagine a reason to not bring McGregor back.

He wasn't the problem with the prequels and he is a good age for it.

Going younger would be a mistake IMO.

Obi Wan would be cool and all but I want to go way back to when Yoda was in his prime

I want to know about this mysterious little fucker

All I want is for that movie to be set 825 years earlier and Yoda is...

a regular human. It turns out, he's not an alien at all, it's just that actually, that's how people DO look if they live 900 years.

KooopaKid

Banned
Unknown-6.jpeg

Where's this image from? Don't tell me its an official picture.
Tell me it's a behind the scene or something or the director.

Anth0ny

For what it's worth:

Ewan Mcgregor was 34 in Revenge of the Sith.

Alec Guinness was 63 in A New Hope.

19 years pass between the two films.

Mcgregor is 44 now. Iain is 54, just about 10 years younger than Guinness was in ANH. He looks more aged and a lot closer to the look of Guinness' Obi Wan imo. If I'm Disney, I don't bring back actors from the prequels if I could help it, either.

/dream

Fury451

Banned
This could be a great spinoff, but only if Ewan reprises.

He was the workhorse of the prequels, and carried those films on his own.

Not a big fan of prequels in general. The universe should move forward. Not stuck in the same time period.

Would love to see something set like a 1000 years in the future or past.

"Oh, it's you."

No thanks. I want them to stay as far away from the prequels as possible.

Besides, who wants to watch two hours of Obi-Wan staring at the Lars homestead through macrobinoculars?

Edit: Probably shouldn't take 40 minutes to finish a reply, your joke might get made twice.

Not a big fan of prequels in general. The universe should move forward. Not stuck in the same time period.

Would love to see something set like a 1000 years in the future or past.

That has it's own challenges though. You're starting from scratch as far as interesting characters go, which could be a blessing or a curse depending on the writer. Another hurdle is the universe is so technically advanced it can't really change. What can a film in the future depict beyond hyper drives, death stars and laser weapons? We know these things have been around a long time in the past as well. Could a setting that predates the fantasy tech be interesting? Would it be able to maintain the feel of Star Wars without lightsabers and blasters?

Sephzilla

Ewan was probably the only actor in the prequels who came out of them looking good. He's actually my definitive Obi-Wan. I don't think it's possible anymore due to the Clone Wars series, but I'd kind of like to see an adaptation of the comic story where Darth Maul returns and tries to kill infant Luke in order to bring Obi-Wan out of hiding and get revenge.

butalala

Zac Efron? Nope. *

Anthony Ingruber played a young Ford in The Age of Adaline. Cast him as Han in a spin off!

vfARtgU.png

I thought this was one of the worst parts of the movie. There's a difference between acting and doing an impression and this guy got the wrong side of it.

Joking aside, I do actually quite like Efron. From the interviews I've seen of him, he seems like a lovely guy and he's definitely proven he can act. I'm just not a fan of the idea of doing a Han Solo spin-off movie in general. The idea of an Obi-Wan movie is infinitely more appealing to me, if purely because all the pieces to make it work are right there.
I don't even know the movie and that got me teary eyed.. Jesus. I also have a little sister and can't possibly imagine if something were to happen to her though.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Ewan McGregor can easily do post-3 pre-4 obi, I mean it has been like 10 years since the last Star Wars movie came out right? He's got the look, and around the age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom