• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Post patch, how is the PS4 version on a standard PS4? I can deal with odd controls but I'd rather wait on playing this if it's prone to crashing or still has other issues.
I'd say pretty great, but then I had zero crash issues even before the patch.

Retro

Hold and let go of the button when fishing. You shouldn't really be tapping.

I tend to tap or do short little holds when I want the gauge to hover slightly. Lots of fish like to sit at a depth for a while, then shoot down or straight up.

Also, on that note, a general fishing tip for everyone; carefully tap as you descend, even if the fish is at the bottom, because the gauge bounces off the bottom like crazy. You need to get down there at a pretty slow pace or you'll just pop right back up. It's weird (and there's tackle you can use to stop it, if you like, but I prefer using something else and just compensating).

xBigBeaz

Neo Member
The focus since release has been performance and stability fixes, but we did work on a number of controller improvements that made it into this latest patch. We're looking at all of the feedback and the aim is to continue implementing improvements in upcoming updates.

Thanks for the update and for bringing this game to PS4! I can't stop playing, such a great game!

vix

The patch fixed the energy bar being but off on the right hand side of the screen but when I pick up items, the box that appears on the lower left hand corner is still cut off a bit. You can see about half the item that you picked up and then the words.

Also, any text box that pops up in the lower left hand corner gets cut off a but too. I got the exhaustion message and part of it was cut off.

So I've been playing on PC, and loving the game. Even thinking about double dipping on PS4.

As far as farming goes, what should I do there? I buy the crops, plant the crops, and when they are ready then what? I've been selling them to the store for more money for more crops and I'm in this loop. Am I supposed to be saving the crops for something? Is there something to do with them besides selling them?

lol51

I have experienced issues on my PS4 Pro, all the ones mentioned earlier in the thread (buggy Rest Mode, Share features, leaping into other games, even turning the system off was faulty after playing SV)

I deleted the game from my HDD and so far everything works great, will report back with my insights after further testing, but it's safe to say the game as-is is a threat for the PS4 Pro, you can buy it because the game is flipping great but don't download it just yet, wait for a fix.

I have also experienced weird Ps4 pro behavior after playing Stardew Valley. Including preventing other games from launching - I launched hitman after a stardew session and it would not load until i restarted my PS4. Additionally, Stardew Valley cannot be terminated from by the OS. I would hit options in the XMB as stardew valley was running and it wouldn't even load an interface.

I have actually had to hard restart the system by pulling the plug twice now. It can't even shut down the system properly after the game has run.

---

some UI issues:

In an unrelated issue, the mouse animation has like 2 extra pixels on the top right and bottom right corners. It drives me nuts.

zer0das

Banned
So I've been playing on PC, and loving the game. Even thinking about double dipping on PS4.

As far as farming goes, what should I do there? I buy the crops, plant the crops, and when they are ready then what? I've been selling them to the store for more money for more crops and I'm in this loop. Am I supposed to be saving the crops for something? Is there something to do with them besides selling them?

Eventually you get enough experience in farming and you unlock the ability to craft preserve jars and kegs. Then you can turn your crops into artisan goods, which sell for more.

Eventually you get enough experience in farming and you unlock the ability to craft preserve jars and kegs. Then you can turn your crops into artisan goods, which sell for more.

Gotcha. So just keep selling them for now. When the list of achievements popped up I got some fishing XP, but no farming XP for some reason even though I had picked and sold some crops. I'll figure it out as I go. Like I said, loving the game.

The patch fixed the energy bar being but off on the right hand side of the screen but when I pick up items, the box that appears on the lower left hand corner is still cut off a bit. You can see about half the item that you picked up and then the words.

Also, any text box that pops up in the lower left hand corner gets cut off a but too. I got the exhaustion message and part of it was cut off.

I get the same issue on my OG PS4.

TheKeyPit

Banned

WHAT!?! Please tell me this isn't true. Do you really sell them to the store? You got a box on the right of your house. That's where everything you want to sell should go in.

Edit: If you want to keep track of your stats like "items shipped", you should use the box for selling.

I'm not sure if you'll get achievements/trophies if you sell through stores.

WHAT!?! Please tell me this isn't true. Do you really sell them to the store? You got a box on the right of your house. That's where everything you want to sell should go in.

Edit: If you want to keep track of your stats like "items shipped", you should use the box for selling.

Why do that when I need to buy more seeds anyway?

TheKeyPit

Banned
Yeah, I get that, but when you're new and living hand to mouth it seems a little futile to wait a day before being able to plant more crops.

Shame the box is emptied overnight rather than at some point during the day.

I'm not in a rush, so I can wait one day to get my money and personally I really like to see the shipping screen and be proud of what I sold that day:
screenshot-original30bfkaw.png

The box being emptied overnight is good. That's how I can go fishing until 10-11pm and make bank with a lot of fish.

Randam

Yeah, I get that, but when you're new and living hand to mouth it seems a little futile to wait a day before being able to plant more crops.

Shame the box is emptied overnight rather than at some point during the day.
You can just go and sell all your stuff at the store.

Prices are the same. It just doesn't get counted as "shipped". So you don't get credit for a few achievements.

dock

If ever there were a killer app for Switch it would be Stardew Valley. I hope we see early ports from games like this.

Flunkie

Banned
Is this game fucking up anyone's PS4? Whenever I enter standby while playing this game, my console pulses the orange light and doesn't turn back on. ONLY when playinv this game. Super weird and annoying. I love the game but I might try for a refund.
yup. won't turn back on after despite the yellow flashing "standby" light

have to pull the plug and hard restart console

TheKeyPit

Banned
I'm on track to get my greenhouse before the end of fall(year 1); just in time for winter.

My plans are to grow blueberries(star fruits later on) there; put these then into kegs to make wine; put the wine into casks to age it for even more value.

Problem: I need oak resin for kegs and now I'm trying to create a maple/oak/pine tree farm. The goal is to make it overseeable.

I love this game.

danowat

Banned
that awkward moment when you sell your sword and boots at the adventurers guild by accident....

a little 'are you sure' prompt would be nice!!!

So a few questions:

• Does this game still cause hard crashes on PS4 Pro?

• Does this game have 4K support on PS4 Pro?

• How are the controls? I heard initially the console releases have had poor controls, just wondering if it has been improved with patching yet?

Really want this game but seems like there are a lot of issues right now with the console release.

You can use them to fill out the community center for Exciting Prizes and you can gift them to people so they'll be your friend (or... dare I say... spouse). As you become friends with the villagers, you'll unlock little cutscenes with them, and they'll start sending you stuff in the mail.

You can also use them to cook with, but I'll be honest with you: Very few recipes are worth making since you'll almost always be better of selling the crop for cash instead.

I find it to be incredibly difficult to keep up with the fish, it either goes too fast or my bar drops to fast..

You can control how fast the bar drops by tapping with a slower rhythm, if that makes sense. It sounds unhelpful because fishing can be over so quickly you feel like you're not getting anywhere, but the more you do it the better you will get with your timing.

As you go your fishing level will increase and you'll be able to buy better equipment, both of which will help.

Audioboxer

When is this coming to vita?

Not sure if it even is.

Bought this the other day but I've been too busy to really play and then in what free time I've had I've been slowly moving through FF15. Thanks to Sony giving me $10 on my US PSN account and $5.xx I had in the wallet I didn't really pay anything for this so not really worried it's become a backlog entry for now.

Nice to see some quick patches so when I do jump in things will probably be in better shape. Controller use from the 30 mins I played seemed okay.

Any devs want to say if it might get a pro patch for native 4K?

TheKeyPit

Banned
How is this game on the One? Heard that it is unoptimised on PS4 so I am bit worried.,

The game sometimes freezes. This can last from a split second up to three seconds. (Fixed in the upcoming patch)

Some players can't progress into the second year. The game crashes during the switch from 28th Winter to 1st Spring. (Fixed in the upcoming patch)

Otherwise it runs just like the pc version.

Randam

I still don't know what the Tracker perk does. Can anyone make a case for it over Botanist?

the other perk makes it so, everything you find has iridium state.
get some pigs and sell them iridium truffles!!

the tracker perk isn't worth it imo.
helps you finding stuff in the dirt, but that stuff isn't hard to find anyways imo.

What are bundles and how to I activate them or do them? I've read up on them a bit, but I'm still confused.
You just put the objects from your inventory into the boxes.

So if there is a picture of a carrot and a mushroom you need to find/grow a carrot and a mushroom.

Once completed you get a reward.

Top Bottom