• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has lost 97% of its Steam players in less than six months.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The user scores speak for themselves, Starfield had a select number of high scores followed by rapidly declining scores

83 is a good score and Starfield is undeserving of it.

If you think user scores hold value then I'm sure you have no issue acknowledging Starfield's place in GAF's own user submitted scores.

Personally, I think it's in a good spot. I would maybe move RE4 a bit higher but the users have spoken.

sbH6xqh.jpeg

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I liked how he completely abandoned the review embargo line after one post.

You know what other game of a massive scope came out around the same time frame that had its review embargo at the literal release date of the game? Baldurs Gate 3. Fucking sneaky Larian fucks.
Starfield and BG3 share something in common for me. I haven’t beaten either of them.

adamsapple

Starfield and BG3 share something in common for me. I haven’t beaten either of them.

I put in 100+ hrs on each lol, good times but for all its critical praise, I'm surprised more reviews didn't bring up BG3's severe pacing issues.

But I managed to get the digital deluxe edition for just $19.99 so I won't complain.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I ain't the one advocating for user scores chief.

You're thought process is in another castle.
*Your
And when you use gaf goty you are advocating user score ... Unless you consider its results to be bullshit....Which would mean that you deemed Starfield did not deserve to be on the list...
Now think before talking about the thinking process of other people ...It might backfire again.

adamsapple

*Your
And when you use gaf goty you are advocating user score ... Unless you consider its results to be bullshit....Which would mean that you deemed Starfield did not deserve to be on the list...
Now think before talking about the thinking process of other people ...It might backfire again.

It's almost like you deliberately don't want to follow the chain of posts that led to it because you know it's gonna make your argument about supporting user scores on the last page sound even more dumber along with the post(s) I was quoting before.

Nice catch on the grammatical error though, that's one thing you've got right in this thread at least (y)

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
*Your
It’s all stupid, that’s the point. Sony Fanboy called out user reviews. I called out NeoGAF GotY results. What’s the verdict? Users reviews can’t be relied on or trusted, especially when they’re exclusive or there’s something controversial.

Last edited:

adamsapple

It’s all stupid, that’s the point. Sony Fanboy called out user reviews. I called out NeoGAF GotY results. What’s the verdict? Users reviews can’t be relied on or trusted, especially when they’re exclusive or there’s something controversial.

Literal embodiment of "oh that was different" gif with multiple users advocating for the MC user scores while denying the GAF user scores on this very page.

It's so transparent, it might as well be a .PNG :messenger_grinning_sweat:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It's almost like you deliberately don't want to follow the chain of posts that led to it because you know it's gonna make your argument about supporting user scores on the last page sound even more dumber along with the post(s) I was quoting before.

Nice catch on the grammatical error though, that's one thing you've got right in this thread at least (y)
Almost like you got no defense there
Fail The Simpsons GIF

So following yours and adam's logic Starfield shouldn't have been on gaf goty list then otherwise his example wouldn't make any sense ....Except for scoring imaginary points against user scores?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
So following yours and adam's logic Starfield shouldn't have been on gaf goty list then otherwise his example wouldn't make any sense ....Except for scoring imaginary points against user scores?
Again, it’s all dumb. Using gamer opinion/votes/reviews for anything more than jokes is pointless. I use the Starfield top 5 GotY as a point that the whole user review system is dumb. I’m not saying it should or shouldn’t be in the top 5.

adamsapple

Again, it’s all dumb. Using gamer opinion/votes/reviews for anything more than jokes is pointless. I use the Starfield top 5 GotY as a point that the whole user review system is dumb. I’m not saying it should or shouldn’t be in the top 5.

There are people who think this is a reliable metric of a games reception. I would say its hilarious if it weren't so fucking sad.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Alright maybe not by your logic but as adam used it, it was either hypocritical or against Starfield which considering the points he was painfully trying to make made no sense.I have no grief about people for or against user scores but at least be consistent.

adamsapple

Alright maybe not by your logic but as adam used it, it was either hypocritical or against Starfield which considering the points he was painfully trying to make made no sense.I have no grief about people for or against user scores but at least be consistent.

It's almost as if the point of my post quoting user scores to James went completely over your head.

I'll be more literal with my sarcasm next time.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It's almost as if the point of my post quoting user scores to James went completely over your head.
So tell me did you want to point out that Starfield was on the goty undeservedly or just gloat that it was on gaf goty ?Because neither helped your point because and I do feel that I have to explain it in great details.
On the first hand you are using using user score to justify another user score while claiming they are bullshit and on the other you wanted to prove your point since Starfield was on the gaf goty list.
So please enlighten us about your thought process there.

Last edited:

adamsapple

So tell me did you want to point out that Starfield was on the goty undeservedly or just gloat that it was on gaf goty ?Because neither helped your point because and I do feel that I have to explain it in great details.
On the first hand you are using using user score to justify another user score while claiming they are bullshit and on the other you wanted to prove your point since Starfield was on the gaf goty list.
So please enlighten us about your thought process there.

Ok i'll try to keep it very simple for you. If you're going to advocate for user reviews on one site (Metacritic), you cannot disown user scores from other sources (GAF) with bullshit commentary like "Oh but only hyper fans voted here so it doesn't count". Hint: Read the posts I quoted to see who was doing that and why I replied what I did.

Incredible how much Starfield triggers some people ... if you think it's that shit, just ignore it. Why spend so much time trying to convince others it's bad?

IKR.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Ok i'll try to keep it very simple for you. If you're going to advocate for user reviews on one site (Metacritic), you cannot disown user scores from other sources (GAF) with bullshit commentary like "Oh but only hyper fans voted here so it doesn't count". Hint: Read the posts I quoted to see who was doing that and why I replied what I did.

IKR.
The user scores speak for themselves, Starfield had a select number of high scores followed by rapidly declining scores

Show me in the post you replied to where he disown user scores from GAF.... Please bold it, unless there has been something edited since but the "undeserve 83" is metacritic's score, I really don't see what you are fighting there.

Last edited:

demigod

Which publisher includes all outlets? Also, most games releasing these days from any publisher, including ones you stan for, have the review embargo of 1,2 days to a week max. Starfield's review embargo was a week before its retail release.

We get it, you don't like the game. But all the arguments you're using are things which apply to all major publishers. You're just coming off like a petty hater here. 🤷‍♂️
You trying to rewrite history? Are you telling me there was no controversy with Bethesda not sending out review codes to multiple outlets? Ones that ended up giving Starfield low scores.

adamsapple

Show me in the post you replied to where he disown user scores from GAF.... Please bold it, unless there has been something edited since but the "undeserve 83" is metacritic's score, I really don't see what you are fighting there.

It's literally on this very page :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nah there’s quite a few hyper fans that only voted for it as their #1 game just so it charted highly compared to others

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It's literally on this very page :messenger_tears_of_joy:
So you posted that gaf goty before his reply in response to his future unknown reply? Damn that's a perfect jutification of why you posted it in the first place.
You know what here's a gif

black and white star GIF by Mia Page

You'll understand it in a post you will make in 2 weeks

Not that I agree with James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford there, be consistent dude, nor with you, since you pointed out that users scores could be inflated or review bombed you need to agree that on a smaller panel they could be manipulated even more, but why bring nuance on the topic.

Edit:Honestly if in 2 weeks you post something that would make sense with my gif ...Let's just say genius move.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Not that I agree with James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford there, be consistent dude, nor with you, since you pointed out that users scores could be inflated or review bombed you need to agree that on a smaller panel they could be manipulated even more, but why bring nuance on the topic.

There's three things certain in this world. Death, my stance on user reviews and that Starfield is a good game.

wiFZlKS.jpeg

The same GAF that voted Halo Infinite as GOTY.

tumblr_o6npe6uDH41r8kuy1o1_500.gif

episode 2 GIF by Star Wars

Last edited:

EDMIX

disingenuous marketing that hid most of the downsides, and didn't show proper gameplay.
I don't know about all that..

I don't see anything disingenuous regarding its marketing the idea of them hiding the downside of something is ridiculous because their job is to market the game to sell it it is not to show you negative aspects that you perceive as not good...

Keep in mind you would have to go into great detail of what is disingenuous about the marketing, I don't see anything in regards to how they marketed this game to argue that someone was led to believe something, In fact the numerous interviews they actually confirm quite a bit.
- Loadings
Completely irrelevant because they never made any claim that they would never be loading in the game...
- Travelling does not require any ressources,
This has also been addressed before it's released they actually stated that they were talking about having a resource to require travel and decided against it as a design thing so to me this is not really a major negative because they don't wish to make a game where that's an attribute cause I don't believe they want some restrictions set there

So this was never something that was promised to be hurt about in fact no one ever made any comment about that being some resource type thing lol They confirmed just the opposite.
- Travelling is also devoid of any danger.
This is also completely incorrect , yes you could warp anywhere that doesn't actually mean you cannot warp to a place in which people are attacking you because that's actually happened to me many times.

So....that is not true.
- Planets being procedurally AND randomly generated, not on the scale of the planet
The idea that most planets are not dangerous can be viewed as a negative or a positive that's completely up to you if you think that's a negative thing then your opinion is completely fine but I think something is interesting that the team made the choice to make multiple planets based on statistically how this even really occurs, So instead of it being this no man's Sky thing where every fucking planet looks like a fucking ubisoft game I think it was an interesting design choice to actually make a bunch of planets were not really a lot was going on, So you're basically asking for every planet to be a fucking shooting gallery , To me this doesn't feel like it would be a natural thing I would argue if anything this kind of takes a lot of the excitement out of it because it tries to force this idea that every single last corner you go to is going to be this action packed thing

To some that can have a complete opposite effect. So I'm personally fine with the direction they went in because too many games go into the we're going to fill every area with a fucking check box when clearly this is not how real life works

In planets being procedurally generated I don't believe should ever be the scale of a planet that got boring so fucking quickly that the stupidity of trying to pretend we need an entire planet covered started to become very apparent when you start playing and you realize that's not really got a change shit, So I'm completely fine with their choice to do it this way because ultimately even if I didn't care for how some other planets were generated why the fuck would I want more of the thing I dislike? Lol

Stop bud
- Even lush planets feeling barren
After playing this game for almost a 100 hours I don't believe they need a planet that's the scale of a real fucking planet, A definitely need quality content, They definitely need interesting things that occur from time to time which technically already happens, But I don't believe every single last planet needs to have something going on and I don't believe we need a planet that is the literal size of a fucking planet.... Well the problems this game has I don't believe that's one of them and I think that is greatly exaggerated

So the irony of you being upset about how barren the planets are but fuck you want them to be the size of actual planets that's supposed to fix something? The deepest of lolz
- Outposts getting copy and pasted
Buuuuuuut shit you need a whole plant at the size of this to fix this apparently.....

Are you completely sure the size of that planet is the real issue?

I think you made a fair assessment in a lot of areas but let's be honest in some of these other areas instead of these bizarre blanket complaints, You're essentially asking for more of something you don't even care for.

A lot of what you are asking for was never promised, marketed or even remotely suggested that is what the game actually is, at this point its easier to tell you to play something else tbh. Even the areas I agree with you in, should just be in some survival mode or something, like the ship needing some fuel source.
But the overall core concept of what they were going for I believe was intact and they were able to achieve. You are able to go from planet to planet with random encounters from space to the planet, Enemies are able to board your ship and you are able to board theirs and take their ships, You are able to customize these ships while going on planets and also customizing those areas to make bases, You can go to different star systems for different quest and meet different people.

That core concept I believe they did a good job and even if there is a lot of jank in between those areas

I don't believe an entire planet needing to be explored is necessary because I don't even care for some of those barren planets I simply like the concept of you going to a place and it randomly just being nothing to actually give you the feeling of a true reward when you actually do find something interesting because what's the fucking point if every fucking planet is just going to have some checklist of shit going on?

So the size of the planet becomes a bit irrelevant... Think about it like this we did not need an entire planet the size of skyrim to enjoy that game this boils down to simply quality and I do believe the story is pretty bad and could be better, I believe a lot of the quests can also be better there's in fact a lot of things I agree with you with regarding that area as to why I'm fucking telling you you do not need the size of the planet or anything strange like this because the game already has some quality issues to pretend as if the size is the real problem or something....

So if they're able to provide more quality in these areas I think they will be fine.

But I think the stylistic choice to make barren random planets was the right choice. Their goal is to have you feel a great reward when discovering something, No different in dark souls you want to get the feeling of achieving something but how can that be if everything is easy?

lol we didn't mean to make a baby forest lolz

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Phil Spencer:

Will Ferrell Crying GIF
He can still be a Phil Spencer fan though
Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

Once again, it feels like the point of my replies to James went completely over your head if you think I was citing GAF's user scores as a definitive metric.

There's three things certain in this world. Death, my stance on user reviews and that Starfield is a good game.

wiFZlKS.jpeg

episode 2 GIF by Star Wars
So you wantd to prove that user score were bullshit then since it seems to have been your leitmotive according to that screen.Or do want him to treat every average user score even with a really small scale the same way than an average score with a lot bigger scale...Which is bullshit too, honestly you've still not explained what you were trying to do beside telling me to read the post you replied to.Which didn't help ....Or maybe are you still trying to find a point in which you'd have the upper hand ?
Because once again it lacks nuance and I don't think seeing things in a manichean way is a good solution.

adamsapple

So you wantd to prove that user score were bullshit then since it seems to have been your leitmotive according to that screen.Or do want him to treat every average user score even with a really small scale the same way than an average score with a lot bigger scale...Which is bullshit too, honestly you've still not explained what you were trying to do beside telling me to read the post you replied to.Which didn't help ....Or maybe are you still trying to find a point in which you'd have the upper hand ?
Because once again it lacks nuance and I don't think seeing things in a manichean way is a good solution.

You're going in really hard on a very simple thing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

One user said we should look at user scores for an accurate idea, I said ok then you agree with the user scores collated on this website too, right? the first user said 'no because this pool is tainted'.

All the while ignoring how the MC user score pool is also notoriously tainted with people openly bragging about making tens, if not hundreds, of fake scores and known smear campaigns on reddit / twitter etc.

tl-dr don't use user scores as any kind of metric if you're going to selectively choose which sources users who agree with and which you don't.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
You're going in really hard on a very simple thing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

One user said we should look at user scores for an accurate idea, I said ok then you agree with the user scores collated on this website too, right? the first user said 'no because this pool is tainted'.

All the while ignoring how the MC user score pool is also notoriously tainted with people openly bragging about making tens, if not hundreds, of fake scores and known smear campaigns on reddit / twitter etc.

tl-dr don't use user scores as any kind of metric if you're going to selectively choose which sources users who agree with and which you don't.
Ahh my bad It hadn't occured to me that you just wanted to bait....That's still not great though but hey you do you.

Mortisfacio

While I agree Starfield is not deserving of an 83, it's at least not 90+. Some games, like Tears of the Kingdom, did not deserve 90+. It's a low 80s at best. I'm more bothered by ToTK's high score (#2 on Metacritic for 2023, where I wouldn't personally put this in my top 10) than Starfield's low 80s (which ranks #74 overall for the year).

Top Bottom