• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is getting DLSS support

twilo99

A multi-trillion dollar megacorp backing a major AAA dev with some of the most successful games in the past 2 decades has no business playing second fiddle to what essentially amounts to a super indie dev. I barely touched Starfield and am 130 hours into Baldur's Gate III now, but Starfield should have been a lot better than this. I just don't see where this massive budget went.

That’s not how it works in corporate world… money disappears in all sorts of ways and the bigger the project becomes, the harder it is to manage and keep quality control in check.

A big budget DOES NOT guarantee success.

Starfield was a huge undertaking and I wouldn’t judge it’s level of success just yet.

StereoVsn

How long before I can choose an arbitrary frame rate cap without having to use something like RTSS? I don’t understand how a modern PC game from a major studio shipped with so few settings.
To be fair, even with frame rate caps on game settings it often better to use RTSS anyways.

Elysium44

Banned
This is why it's a good thing to criticise a game's shortcomings, it puts pressure on the devs to fix things. Credit where it's due, that's a big list of improvements which will quite possibly see player review scores going up again.

Cyberpunkd

Pathetic? You think boulders gate 3 was a indie? Game cost over 100 million…. Also there’s Xbox and PC Gamepass to consider.
His point still stands, Starfield should have been a much bigger deal than BG3, instead the opposite is true - BG3 is an industry darling, Starfield is an “ok game”.

GymWolf

Lol fuck off, this stuff should have been there day one, you are not an indie studios with limited money and manpower.

Better later than never i guess.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Game is amazing. People are just sour motherfuckers.

It could have been better and now the devs are acknowledging that, which is good to see. Also when a game is hyped so much and expectations are raised so high, that's what you judge it against. If the game had had little fanfare and the pre-launch promotion was more modest, it would have got an easier ride. Over-promising will always result in a backlash.

Topher

Gold Member
lEqNtX5.gif
Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

damidu

reading it, seems those top requested features are not part of the said hot fix,
and there is no timeline for when they’ll come, other than “expect after”
you can keep your mods for a while

still nice to get confirmation, everything on that list is day1 must have anyway

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Players change all the time, they are not the same as day 1

Most that got the game in EA already finished it, it should have been there since day 1 imo
At launch sure, but EA buyers got what they paid for. If you so stupid to ditch half a game's worth of money just to play a week early, them you need to get the sort end of the stick to maybe try and develop braincells.

Sanepar

I will use september to finish BG3, after that oct-nov for Phantom Liberty and Forza then I will comeback in December to play hard Starfield. Hope with great mods for textures, native dlss and hdr and revamped AI.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Comprehensive reading is a missing skill in our world since a while unfortunately. Otherwise you would recognize that your answer doesn’t make sense in that context.

Maybe you should take your own advice before replying. Nice to see xbox fans getting massively triggered tho over the fact that a small studio like Larian did better than a billion dollar corporation. I'll just ignore the thread.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Kinda pathetic considering an indie like Baldurs Gate 3 reached 3 times its players vs a multi-million project hyped over many years.

I think that speaks more to how extraordinary BG3 is rather than what it says about Starfield. Also, BG3 being multiplayer is just about always going to be the more attractive choice for Steam gamers. I believe Starfield is the only game in the top 10 current player count or so that has no multiplayer component at all.

Stuart360

I love how people twist things on here, 'Its pathetic that Starfield didnt beat an Indie game like Balders Gate 3 lolz', while completely ignoring the fact that BG3 is one of the biggest selling Steam games on recent memory (pretty sure only Cyberpunk sold more in recent years). Not only that but a rival rpg that was still hitting 300k daily peak numbers when Starfield launched.
It would be interesting to see Starfields numbers if the roles were reversed and Starfield launched a month earlier than BG3.

Also as usual a lot of console players that are clueless about Steam. Like i said in another thread, go and Google any recent years AAA game releases, then check their peak numbers on Steam. I think you might be surprised by the results.

AMD called them out saying they had no such stipulation in the agreement.

This more than likely comes down to prioritizing getting this thing out the door to be the least broken possible. And since the consoles are AMD, they will just "optimize" for that first.

Game didn't even have the correct mip settings for FSR. Bribes my arse. Six months ago this game was rumoured to be in a dire situation.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I think that speaks more to how extraordinary BG3 is rather than what it says about Starfield. Also, BG3 being multiplayer is just about always going to be the more attractive choice for Steam gamers. I believe Starfield is the only game in the top 10 current player count or so that has no multiplayer component at all.
I also think the Starfield concurrent Steam numbers peak would have been much higher without the short early access period and lack of a Game Pass release. But yes, it really does show you how amazing of a success that BG3 is.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sounds like FSR is a dud compared to DLSS...should be interesting to see this fully implemented in Switch 2.
DLSS wasn't always this good either. When it came out it was very similar to FSR.

Hoping that they build their next RDNA iterations around it in the hardware more to catch up to current DLSS levels. It being open source might help speed up feedback as well.

GC_DALBEN

Nice, im loving the game (even more after installing some mods), some people dont know how to be happy or enjoy anything, if you dont like the game is fine (i have 2 friends that regreted buying the game), but know that a lot of us are enjoyng it.

Sorry about my english!

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I will use september to finish BG3, after that oct-nov for Phantom Liberty and Forza then I will comeback in December to play hard Starfield. Hope with great mods for textures, native dlss and hdr and revamped AI.
Please consider playing Armored Core 6 too? They need our support!
Lilo And Stitch Please GIF

Elysium44

Banned
Well, for what it's worth, it didn't chart in the UK sales in the top 10 its launch week, and PSN Profiles only has ~3000 people getting the most common trophy in the game.

TrueTrophies has 13,000 getting it.

TT isn't a particularly well used site. For comparison, the Resident Evil 4 remake has 39,500 people getting the first achievement and that's been out longer. If we have the sales figures on PS for that game then we could probably roughly extrapolate the likely BG3 player numbers.

Dolomite

His point still stands, Starfield should have been a much bigger deal than BG3, instead the opposite is true - BG3 is an industry darling, Starfield is an “ok game”.
Both amazing titles. If we're being brutally honest the negativity around starfield is as rooted in saltines as is is over-hyping
Think about it, folks complained that you couldn't fly to another planet: debunked
Folks claimed you couldn't swim: debunked
We got a week's worth of drama over the leaked title screen.
People complaining about being encumbered prove they've never played Skyrim.

Bethesda fans tho, we are in Heaven rn. This is the game we've been waiting for

Hugare

Bethesda just CTRL + C and CTRL V mods already developed for the game into the patch

So many years in development, and they add obvious stuff weeks later

Top Bottom