• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Fredrik

Superb OT! 👌

44 hours played. Not quite my GOTY yet but it’s getting close, every time I play it I end up liking it a little bit more, if things don’t go downhill later I can see it overtake Zelda eventually.

No spoiler pics showing off character details and scenery, PC Ultra
dHS3M15.jpg

9T7Uy25.jpg

7nLCwmJ.jpg

CWWV4ft.jpg

c7c33cI.jpg

Take me back to the long weekend...

Had a ton of fun, and really enjoying the game. After all of the hype, expectations, etc. It's really nothing more or less than another Bethesda ass Bethesda game. And I'm really enjoying playing a new one. We've never gotten a non fantasy, non post apocalypse version of one of these games and it has been enough to get me back into it after bouncing off Fallout 4 hard.

Really liking the gunplay and combat. 60FPS on my PC with a controller is definitely the ideal control scheme. Haven't been as into looting in a game in a long time, they really fill up these locations, and reward you properly for exploring them. Loving the new setting.

It's a winner by Bethesda for sure, excited to see what happens with the game long term. And will always be excited to log back into my worn down space Homesteader and get into some shenanigans.

clarky

Gold Member
To prepare for Starfield and make it more immersive i've decided that from now on im my daily life when i walk into another room or building i will stop and close my eyes for 5 seconds
Stick the soundtrack on your walkman as well.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I do suggest people try the Kid Stuff trait for your first run. You get some great stuff. I got a free starship from my dad!

Your parents tell the folks at Constellation that they want to talk to you. Which usually means they have something to give you.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I do suggest people try the Kid Stuff trait for your first run. You get some great stuff. I got a free starship from my dad!

Your parents tell the folks at Constellation that they want to talk to you. Which usually means they have something to give you.
I've not seen them since they gave me something at HQ, do you need to keep on visiting them to get the goods?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I've not seen them since they gave me something at HQ, do you need to keep on visiting them to get the goods?
Typically someone from Constellation will tell you that your parents stopped by. They will give you a note from them. That’s when you should stop by. I don’t do random drop ins, in case I catch them doing the horizontal tango. They’re retired after all.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Typically someone from Constellation will tell you that your parents stopped by. They will give you a note from them. That’s when you should stop by. I don’t don random drop ins, in case I catch them doing the horizontal tango. They’re retired after all.
Aye i have a couple of notes but just ignored them, feels bad man. Going there next. Thanks.

soulbait

I have played around 27-30 hours so far, and I am loving it so far.

Many people wanted this to be a blend of No Man Sky and Fallout/Skyrim. If you are looking for that, you might be disappointed. However, if you go in thinking it is more of the first Mass Effect and Fallout/Skyrim, you may have a better expectation of what exploration is like in the game.

For people complaining about exploration and how "boring" most of the planets are: welcome to space. Most planets are empty barren wastelands (at least from what today's science knows). This is a game trying to be grounded in reality when it comes to exploration. If anything, the number of planets where life is found on in this game might be beyond what is actually out there. So far the game captures what most of these planets would be: mostly rocks and looking the same. This game is not set in a fantastical setting like Star Wars, but it is more grounded. Go into it thinking more like Star Trek before contact of other intelligent beings.

I have also seen people complaining about how the game looks. It looks right around I expect a Bethesda RPG to look on Xbox Series X: looks good, but there are better looking games out there. I do not remember when Elder Scrolls or Fallout had the generation defining graphics. StarField falls into this. There are times though when the lighting is just right that the landscape on a planet can be breathtaking. It is not in the same league as Horizon: Forbidden West, but it is still a good looking game.

The game is very much a Bethesda RPG. If you are a fan of Skyrim and especially Fallout, you will feel at home here. Even though I am loving the game so far, here are some of my complaints:
  • No Internal or City Map - you have seen complaints about the overall map, and too be honest that does not bother me. What does bother me is lack of maps of cities and/or other internal places (caves, stations, large research facilities). I think having an auto-mapping feature to help you know where you are would be a great improvement for QOL and to help you know if you have explored everywhere. I am not talking about a map full of icons showing your next destination (the tracker helps with that), but a map showing what stores are in the area or simply just a map of everywhere you have gone in cave. The cave map could be difficult though due to how vertical some of these are.
  • Frequent Crashes - my game has crashed multiple times a day on my Series X. Last play session it crashed around 5 different times. Thankfully I never lost more than 5 minutes of playtime, but it is still annoying and hopefully fixed soon.
  • Little Explanation of How Scanning Works - the game gave little explaining on how scanning planets works and how to 100% a planet in exploration. It took a few planets to figure it out. Also, scanning/looking for aquatic life SUCKS. Unless there is some swimming or something you can unlock later, so far if you are on a planet that has aquatic life and you are wanting to scan in all of the fuana of that planet, good luck. Having to do it from the shore makes it challenging and takes longer than it should.
Those are my main complaints right now. If I was to give the game a review right now I would probably give it an 8.5.

If the game keeps its hooks in me and I continue to enjoy it the way that I am, I can see that number going to the 9.0-9.5 territory for me.

J9u1Xxj.jpg

J9u1NfV.jpg

J9u1hWx.jpg

J9uVR7S.jpg

soulbait

You may want to add a spoiler warning on that. Some people may not like to know that.

MirageMew2

Glad we’re finally here. It’s been a fun time. I picked up the black 1TB Series S for this and I gotta say it’s nostalgic to be back on Xbox after some time. 120fps Skate 3 and Halo MCC is blowing my mind.

Some early Starfield thoughts:
- Unfortunately a bit of a bland, unintuitive start, probably the tamest to a BGS game in recent memory. Really missing a nuke drop or a dragon on Helgen moment
- Violence overall feels surprisingly tame, sterile even. The future is very sterile.
- Space travel is a dud, though combat is really good the actual feel going planet to planet is terrible.
- The background in any world is jaw-dropping.
- Encumbrance fucking sucks, easily the most oppressive it’s ever felt in any of these games, and ship cargo feels needless restrictive as well
- UI is a mess
- Third-person gameplay rocks.
- Faction variety is possibly the best in any of these

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
The “problem” is that giving this game a go is rather tricky.. I’d say 10-15hr minimum before you make a decision
I can imagine, looks overwhelming. As long as I get along with the controls early on I’m sure I’ll be happy to put some time in though.

I’m just not a huge WRPG guy in general. The one I’ve enjoyed the most have been The Outer Worlds, and a big part of that was due to the humor. But we’ll see!

oji-san

Banned
Kick-ass OT, Thanks a bunch mortal mortal .

Can somebody please add a timer, that will be much obliged.

I can't wait anymore, didn't play nothing 2 weeks now.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

No way! Same thing happened to me this morning. Vasco was standing on top of my ship when it took off and I thought it was hilarious. Then like 20 minutes later I let my ship sit still for a couple min while I posted here. It automatically switches to a rotating “outside the ship” view after sitting idle for a bit, and then I see this:
XiERpLc.jpg

This is one awesome bug!

Alexvot86

Neo Member
Can wait for the gamepass masses to give this a spin and realise just what a fantastic and deep game this is despite some of the reviews.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Only if you don't have a decent pc.

I have a fairly decent gaming laptop (Ryzen 9 and 3070)that I can easily play it on, but prefer the comfort of my couch (and not having the noise of the laptop fans going). So am wondering how much worse the experience is on Series X.

Last edited:
Top Bottom