• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk Review Thread

SykoTech

Doesn't sound like the single-player campaign is all that. Disappointing.

Will still wait for more impressions though.

The Lamp

The single player is basically the multiplayer, but with a hint of story and less-fun, stupid AI to shoot instead of real players. Why would anyone buy this game just for the single player?

EXGN

Warhawk didn't even have a single player and I thought it was still worth the $60. News of the lackluster story mode here isn't deterring my purchase decision.

KalBalboa

Banned
Watch some of the single player videos and you'll see some genuinely fun looking stuff. I'm sure the single player will just be added fun but not the set-piece driven stuff we've become accustomed too.

I don't know where it is, but someone posted a video of the second level in Starhawk on YouTube with some awesome looking space combat.

Arthur Gies should not be reviewing anything PS related, let alone an exclusive. Not saying that his score is biased, but knowing his history towards Sony. It kinda points to that. It's like seeing a turd few meters away and wondering if it stinks. No reason to check it out, it does stink

What else did he review that was pretty biased? I just like to know so I can avoid reviews by those type of people. I hate when people can't be objective, or when they're jaded and clearly won't even give a game a chance, regardless of exclusivity or not.

I really wish there weren't so many games coming out this month that I want. Without a demo I find it hard to pull the trigger on this one at full price because of that, and I'm afraid the MP community will be gone by the time I get the chance to pick it up.

I'm always on the lookout for multiplayer experiences that aren't your typical shooter. While those games have their place, and I've put a lot of hours into them, I could Starhawk occupying a lot of my time.

george_us

Watch some of the single player videos and you'll see some genuinely fun looking stuff. I'm sure the single player will just be added fun but not the set-piece driven stuff we've become accustomed too.

I don't know where it is, but someone posted a video of the second level in Starhawk on YouTube with some awesome looking space combat.
I'm honestly quite ok with this. All of the single-player footage I've seen looks pretty damn fun.

rdrr gnr

Will give Gies' review an honest read once I get home.
Lol.
I think the scores are surprisingly high; I absolutely hated the beta.

If you have someone to split screen with, I think anyone would have a great time with it. It's new, cool, and feature-complete.
That sounds great.

I'm looking forward to this one, I didn't get to play the beta but it looks interesting, fun and like something I have never played before. The reviews are not bad, considering it's something new/different. I also didn't play Warhawk so I have nothing to compare it to.

tusken77

What else did he review that was pretty biased? I just like to know so I can avoid reviews by those type of people. I hate when people can't be objective, or when they're jaded and clearly won't even give a game a chance, regardless of exclusivity or not.

He didn't review it but he said Uncharted 3 was one of his worst experiences of 2011.

EGM1966

A solid MP TPS with interesting twist and average to good SP campaign depending on who you speak to?

Judging by other titles this gen Starhawk should be a hit easy then.

But I think it may struggle - it's pushing a certain level of complexity with the MP that may be too much for the general online crowd on PS3.

I'd like to be wrong though. Anyway I'll give it a go. There's enough of interest there to check out just to see how it plays.

.la1n

I really loved playing the beta as I have stated before and I want to play but I know how Warhawk ended for me. Not being able to put in enough playtime = getting killed the instant I spawned = game no longer being fun.

Alex

I'm interested, for sure, but the release date is less than ideal and I wouldn't pay 60 for it.

He didn't review it but he said Uncharted 3 was one of his worst experiences of 2011.

Ouch. I felt like it didn't live up to the jump from 1 to 2, but the bar was set so high with 2 I feel like it was almost impossible for 3 to live up to the hype. I still loved 3 to death, it's easily my favorite experience in gaming, despite my small nitpicking.

Anyway, I got my copy of Starhawk coming in tomorrow from Amazon. Super excited! I loved the beta, can't wait to play through the campaign and then team up with some buds for the horde mode.

Loudninja

3.5/5
Starhawk is a solid multiplayer experience, though the vehicles and design are derivative, and fans of Warhawk will no doubt appreciate the build-your-own defense gameplay innovations. However, its workman-like tutorial "campaign" was short and bland and the multiplayer didn't "hook" me.
http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/starhawk

GamingXP 7.9
Despite flawed controls and disappointing graphics, Starhawk delivers a great online multiplayer experience with a varied gameplay and innovative features.
http://www.gamingxp.com/bericht-5603-konami-reverge_labs-ps3-skullgirls.htm

Are the gamestop bonuses worth paying full price? I have it pre-ordered there, but I might cancel and wait for a price drop. The bonuses include an extra co-op map, PS1 warhawk, and a bunch of other filler stuff.

Warhawk didn't even have a single player and I thought it was still worth the $60. News of the lackluster story mode here isn't deterring my purchase decision.

I don't think Warhawk was ever 60 dollars

(I would have gladly paid 600 for it though, best game ever)

anddo0

The reviews sound positive. However, based on the SP. I'll get this at budget. The beta didn't do it for me.. And the SP looks underwhelming.

Are you not interested in the multiplayer?
Not really no. I generally don't like adversarial MP.

The single player is basically the multiplayer, but with a hint of story and less-fun, stupid AI to shoot instead of real players. Why would anyone buy this game just for the single player?
Not everyone has the same opinions. I'd rather play against the computer/bots than people online, it's just my preference.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm shocked at the amount of mediocre scores I'm seeing here. I guess it was to be expected considering how different the game is, but I really expected a higher average.

Gamespot, Gametrailers, and G4 are notably absent so far, maybe they'll drive the average up a bit, but right now we're looking at a C/7.5 or so average.

I'm shocked at the amount of mediocre scores I'm seeing here. I guess it was to be expected considering how different the game is, but I really expected a higher average.

Gamespot, Gametrailers, and G4 are notably absent so far, maybe they'll drive the average up a bit, but right now we're looking at a C/7.5 or so average.

8s are mediocre? We truly are rating on a 7 to 10 scale

KalBalboa

Banned
8s are mediocre? We truly are rating on a 7 to 10 scale

No, no, I'm referring to the 6's and 7's. 8s and Bs are what I expected based on how ambitious the game is.

For the record, I adore Warhawk and have easily put hundreds of hours into split screen, and I really like what I've seen and played of Starhawk. I'm just worried that the game won't sell based on a C average.

Eh. Sounds ok so far. BF3 had a sucky single player but reviewers didn't mind. Maybe Sony should start dropping the hammer on negitive reviewers and money hating the other like ea.

I still think Sony should sell the online for 30 on psn

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

its workman-like tutorial "campaign" was short and bland

Epic fail.

it's either a "real" single player campaign or don't bother at all making a campaign and just sell your game cheaper as MP only game, these multiplayer maps with bots-like SP mods in games like Twisted Metal and now this one are always crap,lazy devs should learns from games like CoD, BF ,Gears or Uncharted, games with great SP and MP.

I'll pass

KalBalboa

Banned
Epic fail.

it's either a "real" single player campaign or don't bother at all making a campaign and just sell your game cheaper as MP only game, these multiplayer maps with bots-like SP mods in games like Twisted Metal and now this one are always crap,lazy devs should learns from games like CoD, BF ,Gears or Uncharted, games with great SP and MP.

I'll pass

Twisted Metal had an awesome campaign. Battlefield did not.

SSReborn

Of course teamwork of course you will need teamwork for victory, to expect otherwise is kinda silly.

So its a negative because it wont let you be a lone wolf?

Edit:Not sure quite sure what battlefield like moments are.

I don't know that seems to be a writeoff for some people I remember seeing similar opinions from some (mostly COD friends) when Battlefield 3 launched. I dont think that should be a detractor at all.

In regards to SP I wonder if because this game isn't scripted and the combat situations are left completely up to the player; if thats the reason why there is a such a difference of views on whether the SP combat encounters are rewarding or not?

Loudninja

Meristation 8.5
Team tactics is something really rare to see in shooters, specially in close combat, but Starhawk provides the tools to enjoy great battles where the strategy is as important as the aiming skills. LightBox Entertainment did a great job redefining the original Warhawk, from the aesthetics to the gameplay.
http://www.meristation.com/es/playstation-3/starhawk/analisis-juego/1535163

So from most reviews we can say that the multiplayer is awesome.

I don't know that seems to be a writeoff for some people I remember seeing similiar oppinions from some (mostly COD friends) when Battlefield 3 launched. I dont think that should be a detractor at all.

In regards to SP I wonder if because this game isn't scripted and the combat situations are left completely up to the player; if thats the reason why there is a such a difference of views on whether the SP combat encounters are rewarding or not?
Thats the only review that really annoyed me.

Anyways, most of the mixed reactions comes from the SP.

The thing is trying something new isn't a bad thing it just needs to be well executed. I'm sorry but empty maps and a team building limit that is gone in the first few minutes isn't what I would call well executed. Build and battle became the game not something that helped the game.

I would have preferred established bases that are captureable and build and battle was then used to flesh out defenses and maybe build jet packs. Instead I get elaborate home bases and not much in between.
Zones mode.

I could be wrong, but I think it was $60 boxed with a headset and $40 digital download. I got it with the mic.

At some point they started selling a physical copy without the headset. I think it may have only been once it became part of the greatest hits line though.

Epic fail.

I'll pass
Epic fail? Really?

All I ever wanted from Warhawk aside from its amazingness, was a mode with bots to annihilate after bad games. I get that in 2 modes now in Starhawk.

Lmao at "epic fail". Expecting an Oscar worthy script much? It's an open-action structure game. This isn't a linear, cinematic experience. Could it have been? Sure. I'm not going to get my panties twisted because it isn't.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I am not really interested in this game, wasn't really into Warkhawk. But I am surprised at the amount of hype this game has. Which is to be honest close to zero. What went wrong?

Epic fail? Really?

All I ever wanted from Warhawk aside from its amazingness, was a mode with bots to annihilate after bad games. I get that in 2 modes now in Starhawk.

Lmao at "epic fail". Expecting an Oscar worthy script much? It's an open-action structure game. This isn't a linear, cinematic experience. Could it have been? Sure. I'm not going to get my panties twisted because it isn't.
You mean the campaign and the horde mode or is there a fully featured bot mode too?

tusken77

Not really no. I generally don't like adversarial MP.

Then, to be honest, I don't think this game is for you. The MP is where this game shines. Perhaps pick it up later on when it's cheaper? And if you'd ever want to dabble in the MP, the community will always be there.

Top Bottom