• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Announces Family Sharing

monlo

Why would you want to do that? Why not just put Steam on the other PC? You can put steam on up to 10 devices and switch between them at leisure.

You can play games on one computer while installing/updating on the other. But yes, you can do either.

NZNova

Oh, great. Now tons of people who barely ever talk to me are coming out of the woodwork and acting like they're my best friend to get into my Steam library. Thanks Gabe.

It seems that it's all or nothing. So I can't play one game while a friend plays another. Either I'm using my library or they are. Pretty lame unless I'm missing something.

Can I share specific games, or do I have to share my whole library?Libraries are shared and borrowed in their entirety.

mbmonk

I need to become best friends with the mod that has 500+ games.. his game library list is longer than the bible :)

TheTrain

My sister has steam and my best friend does too, is there going to be an option to have my sister be able to play a game and kick off my friend? So if I am not playing a game than my sister has access? Will this be a feature?

Only the lender can kick a borrower from playing. If a borrowed game is already in use, another borrower will have to wait to play.

From the Steam HUB

Vlade

This is amazing.
It's a lot like the PS3 sharing, just with a streamlined way of activating an account on another machine, and any account on the shared machine can initiate a download (if I'm reading it right)

Will use extensively.

whome0

Only the lender can kick a borrower from playing. If a borrowed game is already in use, another borrower will have to wait to play.
Is it per-game lock?
I can play game1 from my library. FriendA can play my game2 at the same time. FriendB can play my game3 at the same time. No one is kicked out or given X minutes to purchase. If I start game2 or game3 then that Friend is kicked out of the game session.

Or is it per-library lock?
I can play game1 from my library. FriendA or FriendB cannot start any game while Im playing any one of the game. Once I quit playing FriendA can borrow an entire library (lock enabled) and play any one of the game. FriendB cannot start playing any. I come back playing and FriendA is given chance to purchase or quit within x minutes.

Orayn

Is it per-game lock?
I can play game1 from my library. FriendA can play my game2 at the same time. FriendB can play my game3 at the same time. No one is kicked out or given X minutes to purchase. If I start game2 or game3 then that Friend is kicked out of the game session.

I can play game1 from my library. FriendA or FriendB cannot start any game while Im playing any one of the game. Once I quit playing FriendA can borrow an entire library (lock enabled) and play any one of the game. FriendB cannot start playing any. I come back playing and FriendA is given chance to purchase or quit within x minutes.

It's a per-library lock and it works exactly how you described it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is it per-game lock?

Per library, the FAQ is very clear about this.

JSoup

Banned
I see how it could be useful, but it's a moot point for me. Everyone in my home that wants to play one of my Steam games is welcome to log in on my PC and do it.

Honestly, I'm more interested in the Steam Box....

mdtauk

So now Steam is doing it, will Xbox be allowed to do it Gaf? :p

Sounds ok I guess, but it will all depend on the edge cases, and actual experiences people have using it, the up sides, and the down.

Always thought it was a neat idea in principle when Xbox announced it, but just don't put those restrictions and benefits on retail disc based games!

So now Steam is doing it, will Xbox be allowed to do it Gaf? :p

Sounds ok I guess, but it will all depend on the edge cases, and actual experiences people have using it, the up sides, and the down.

Always thought it was a neat idea in principle when Xbox announced it, but just don't put those restrictions and benefits on retail disc based games!

The thing is MS was doing it wrong. They didn't have a proper offline mode. The main issue was the check in.

Jedi2016

I think this is a great idea. I've got some friends who don't have a lot of cash to blow on video games, it'd be great for them to have the chance to play all the stuff I've got that I keep talking about.

TaroYamada

Concerned about the impact this could have on sales of single player games, which are pretty much 90% of what I care about. Guess only time will tell.

Miker

So you still need to actually log in log in with your username and password for this to work? It can't just be a remote request from someone on your friends list? Because that makes sharing libraries online with, say, gaffers a much riskier initiative.

Couldn't understand why they would offer such an amazing service untill I saw that it's a "per library locked" system. Genius.
Now how many people can I share my library with?
Edit: ok, 10 it is (?)

Edit 2: Oooooh, and Steam is offering condoms? I can't share games that require additional 3rd party programs? Too bad, I was all excited to contaminate my brothers and friends with STDs like U play.

MadSexual

im sure you will need to be online 100% of the time to use this right?

I imagine it will work if you are just offline and not in offline mode. I'm guessing offline mode will act like you are actively using your library, thus barring access to others.

Shengar

GNU7Ita.png

Should be the first post.

eiskaltnz

Just one question if anything thinks the know.

Due to it being a per-library lock if I share my library with a friend and he shares it with me, can I play a game in his library at the same time he plays one in mine?
If so that would be perfect.

Deitus

Just one question if anything thinks the know.

Due to it being a per-library lock if I share my library with a friend and he shares it with me, can I play a game in his library at the same time he plays one in mine?
If so that would be perfect.

Based on the way it's worded, you should absolutely be able to do that. You only kick someone out of your library when you access it.

mdtauk

The thing is MS was doing it wrong. They didn't have a proper offline mode. The main issue was the check in.

Steam's offline mode sounds like it is more sensible than what Xbox was considering. I have never used Steam offline myself, and practically never hook my 360 up to the internet.

Baleoce

Per-library lock is okay if you have one or two close friends/family that like to game at different times. I don't see the point in adding 10 people to that feature though, if it really is per-library.

hamchan

So it's pretty much just multiple sign in right? I was always able to give my login details to my family and let them play my games, the consequence being that I couldn't play my own library at the same time.

So same thing with this, just that I don't have to log out now.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Sounds great while I'm living in Japan and my friends are on the east coast of the US living 13 hours in the past.
It could be plenty useful for people with a large time difference.

So it's pretty much just multiple sign in right? I was always able to give my login details to my family and let them play my games, the consequence being that I couldn't play my own library at the same time.

So same thing with this, just that I don't have to log out now.
Pretty much.

senahorse

Was really excited about this until I realised that (in my case) while my GF is playing one of my games, I can't also play another one of my games. It's a step in the right direction but no good for us as we are usually playing games during the same time slot.

So you still need to actually log in log in with your username and password for this to work? It can't just be a remote request from someone on your friends list? Because that makes sharing libraries online with, say, gaffers a much riskier initiative.

From what I can tell yes, it's not a system for swapping libraries with strangers. Hence the name 'Family Sharing', and it being an addition designed for people using the same computer.

Am I reading this correctly? You can just share games with someone if you authorize their device?

Family Sharing is enabled in one of two ways: You can either locally enable sharing in Account Settings, with Family Sharing & Devices, or remotely respond to a user’s Steam request to share your previously installed games via email.

That sounds very much like you need to have logged in on the authorized device.

Top Bottom