• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I'm definitely seeing the resemblance

Uim1bFR.jpg
Silly string? That is ridic hard to wash out of your hair.

Asgaro

Yesterday I received a 90% off coupon code for 3DMark ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/223850/ ) while crafting a badge for the awesome game The Room ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/288160/ ),
and since it was now only € 2.50 versus € 24.99 I bought it as a gift to give away.
(Instead of simply gifting the coupon so the burden of € 2.50 would be on the winner.)

Good luck and enjoy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Asgaro, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

3DMark -- MB-5FFB93D757625D95 - Taken by Jadax. 12 entrants total.

t1411135649z1.png

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
meh, I got a good deal on a GTX 770 a couple of months ago

No regrets

MUnited83

For you.
The issue is not about the games you can buy, heck you have over a thousand right? But the games you can't buy on PC.

Publishers have a choice to make about publishing on PC or not. That isn't hypothetical, we have seen the platform passed over time and again over the years. Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, russian key trading is going to be a bigger problem as we move forward.

More people = more people trying to cash in on it = easier ways to do it.

Sure make your money while you can, but how do you think it is going to end up? People ignoring when it is so easy to buy cheap games, a crack down on region locking or games simply not coming to PC because of the effect it has on sales? I suggest it'll be the two latter case. Assuming the console market remains, publishers will want to protect their sales on those controlled platforms. If everybody is buying their games at launch for 2 keys and a button then that isn't going to happen.

I believe it is an unsavory element that steam gaf at least should do without. Regional pricing is not ideal as it stands and I'm well aware of that as an Australian. But publishers are clearly doing this for reasons and without them we simply do not get games.
Yet more and more publishers are bringing more and more games to PC, FF XIII is already a best seller. The ammount of people getting games through russians is a very small percentage and it will never be something mainstream. If publishers are so worried about it they can region lock it. They have that option and they can stop people using regional pricing if they wish to do so. That's on them and not on the consumer.

Besides, the regional prices can make me buy games that I would not ever buy at full price. Let's imagine Shadow of Mordor for example. I would never pay full price for that. But at 20 and something bucks on release day, I'm fairly tempted. If I didn't have this option I wouldn't buy it at all until it was like 5$ on my regular store price.

The_Monk

Morning everyone hope you are having a nice Friday.

I feel I've been playing a decent amount of time, yet not finishing games. Guess I'm playing those game who are a big time sink (in a good way) taking a long time to finish them so I'm already feeling I need to clean my Backlog a bit. Anyone else?

Vlad

Well, looks like the new Speedrunners update just went live.

Apparently the devs put out a video outlining the various map changes. While I'm still going through it, I've got to say that I like what I'm seeing so far. While I do like the risk/reward balance of the various routes in the game, there were several parts that were often "if you don't go this way, you're screwed", like the big room in Factory (which has been changed).

Morning everyone hope you are having a nice Friday.

I feel I've been playing a decent amount of time, yet not finishing games. Guess I'm playing those game who are a big time sink (in a good way) taking a long time to finish them so I'm already feeling I need to clean my Backlog a bit. Anyone else?

I like to tackle short games while also playing a big game so it doesn't feel like I'm going months without making any progress with my backlog.

For example, I've been playing Trails in the Sky since it has been released but since I started it I also played and finished Marlow Biggs, Papo & Yo and Inversion, which are short games. Now I'm playing Metro 2033 Redux which is a nice complement to a jrpg when I want a change of pace.

I was reading a review in a Swedish tech site.
Seems like GTX 970 would be the best choice for economical reasons. GTX 980 doesn't look much better for that price difference.

But I think I can still use my GTX 670 for a few more years...

Reading comments like this pleases me greatly. I probably won't go the few more years route but another year would be pretty good.

I have just [INSERT WORD HERE] a fair amount of cash into my mortgage and upgrades like this seem like I am spending money for the sake of it.

I did stretch to buying Lego Marvel this morning so I think that will do for today.

Edit:

THE STEAM COMMUNITY

(Someone actually got angry that they got a 25% off coupon for a game.)

Some people would complain if you gave them a dinghy and they were drowning. "I want a yacht!".

Those with an SSD:
that reads a bit wrong...

Do you get Steam to reference your games on a separate HDD or do you just move games onto the drive as-and-when you need them?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
FFX was also linear, perhaps more so than 13.

The linearity complaints in 13 are not the game's biggest problem. This comes down to the poor story, annoying characters and a battle system which takes way too long to become interesting. There is also a distinct lack of anything else to "do".

To some extent 13-2 fixes these problems, albeit without rising to any great heights so I'd think that would be the game that you might have a better chance of liking. Technically playing 13 should help you understand and enjoy the story more, but it really isn't going to help much in either regard.
But are these games normal JRPGs, or are they more "westernized"? I'm not a fan of that genre, and the only games of its kind I liked were some Pokemon entries and... I don't know, Child of Light counts? Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario seem different from your average JRPG, but I did like those too.

I've never heard much about FF X either. Is it any good?

Those with an SSD:

Do you get Steam to reference your games on a separate HDD or do you just move games onto the drive as-and-when you need them?

I generally just install on the 2nd HD. Maybe I'll put one game on the SSD if the change is noticeable enough.

Deques

Those with an SSD:

I always have my games installed on my mechanical drive. Haven't bothered to move games to SSD drive as I never play one game at a time

I generally just install on the 2nd HD. Maybe I'll put one game on the SSD if the change is noticeable enough.

I download read time heavy games onto my SSD, like Civilization 5.

I always have my games installed on my mechanical drive. Haven't bothered to move games to SSD drive as I never play one game at a time

I am leaning towards using the HDD for pretty much all the games bar read intensive ones. I can't say I am looking forward to setting it all up but I am quite intrigued to see the performance difference in load speeds for Windows.

Vuze

Those with an SSD:

I just keep them on my HDD except for the ones I accidently install on my SSD, they can stay :p

Arthea

But are these games normal JRPGs, or are they more "westernized"? I'm not a fan of that genre, and the only games of its kind I liked were some Pokemon entries and... I don't know, Child of Light counts? Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario seem different from your average JRPG, but I did like those too.

I've never heard much about FF X either. Is it any good?

Child of Light sorta counts, depending on your views of the matter.

I'm surprised you never heard of FFX, actually. It's good but it has some of most frustrating sidequests ever in any game, also it's insanely long if you wanna 100% it. All in all Spira is amazing, I like lore a lot in this game, combat is well done, leveling is interesting, characters have development, unlike in many games. It would be nice to have it on steam, but I'm not sure I have it in me to play it for the third time.
Also Auron, everyone wants to be Auron

Finally, a FFXIII game I'd play. ;)

achievement unlocked: made Jasec wanna play non ubi game.
0% of players have this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom