• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens

Banned
I said GAF clan

Dunno, Ban Puncher didn't play MGO, only FOB.
We need to see if Survive is not-multiplayer enough for Ban, if you need to fight dummy NPCs he will lead the way, if we can fight real people too I will (for the week the game will be populated before turning into a wasteland like Umbrella Chronicles, but a wasteland populated by two flying guys shooting missiles from the sky because of no VAC to spare 2 dollars).

I got 100. So good.

At this point I believe it's a Steam fuck up. dunno, 99 or 100 are strange numbers...why not 97 or 101? This means the kiddo who pushed the button has some kind of OCD, he needed to click 100 or 99 times...maybe a clicker fan?
Let's investigate, the link was psoted on GAF, GAF is full of people who like animu games and clickers: who like clickers and animu games more?
Maybe that dude is from GAF, I'm pretty sure he is now I'm thinking about it. I will find you:

giphy.gif

every mission's S rank is based on time, not just that one.. did MGS1-4 reward people with high ranks for running and gunning? no. does MGSV? yes.

not a stealth game

also you play as Snake in MGS2, it's Raiden's code name at the beginning
MGS V had to balance what its core audience wants, as well be able to get the sales it needed to earn back its budget. It did a fantastic job of allowing you to play however you wanted. I stealthed through the game and didn't have any problems doing so.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
JSBW4pw.png

Do you remember that game given for free on Reddit this morning?
Yeah, this happened. I guess someone got really pissed about the fact the cdkey was already redeemed.

Welp, someone did it 101 times on mine. Not sure what's the endgame.
Thankfully gmail groups emails, lol.

I got 100. So good.

I have never, not once, regretted avoiding anime.

yuraya

every mission's S rank is based on time, not just that one.. did MGS1-4 reward people with high ranks for running and gunning? no. does MGSV? yes.

not a stealth game

also you play as Snake in MGS2, it's Raiden's code name at the beginning

Its different with an open world tho. Lets be honest the soldier who quickly gets the job done should be rewarded more than the one that takes forever to do it. Its more realistic that way when you consider there is an entire Soviet military in Afghanistan. Previous MGS games just had some patrols here n there. It wasn't as big of a deal for the Snakes.

In n out quick using only a tranq pistol like a real Big Boss = Well deserved S rank.

Ozium

Its different with an open world tho. Lets be honest the soldier who quickly gets the job done should be rewarded more than the one that takes forever to do it. Its more realistic that way when you consider there is an entire Soviet military in Afghanistan. Previous MGS games just had some patrols here n there. It wasn't as big of a deal for the Snakes.

In n out quick using only a tranq pistol like a real Big Boss = Well deserved S rank.

in n out quick guns blazing using an automatic rifle and sending the camp on high alert = an S RANK in MGSV

good stealth isn't rewarded, only time.. the penalties for killing or being seen are so low that it honestly doesn't matter if you are fast enough

S RANK is fucking meaningless in TPP

also "an entire Soviet military" equals an average of 2 perimeter guards and 4 guards per base? lol ok

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I finished Obduction. It is real good. I will write more later, but just wanted to say for now that it is REAL good. If you're a Cyan fan, I really believe this deserves a spot in your collection

Nzyme32

I finished Obduction. It is real good. I will write more later, but just wanted to say for now that it is REAL good. If you're a Cyan fan, I really believe this deserves a spot in your collection

Soon! I want to replay Myst and play Riven for the first time before going into it, just for the sake of getting back into the swing of the older games. I suspect going the other way round might be difficult for me once I go through such a pretty and new game vs the old

yuraya

in n out quick guns blazing using an automatic rifle and sending the camp on high alert = an S RANK in MGSV

good stealth isn't rewarded, only time.. the penalties for killing or being seen are so low that it honestly doesn't matter if you are fast enough

S RANK is fucking meaningless in TPP

also "an entire Soviet military" equals an average of 2 perimeter guards and 4 guards per base? lol ok

Killing people along the way doesn't make it less of a stealth game. If Navy seals infiltrate an enemy camp and kill everyone while rescuing a hostage to successfully complete the mission = that is indeed considered S rank stealth. That is how its supposed to be done. The fact that MGSV gives you millions of other options to complete the mission is just a testament to how great the game is.

Its not like a Hitman game where you stake out a nightclub or something. We are talking about a warzone. Stealth rules are different.

And yes the Soviet military is a big threat. One of their tanks in the game can shoot down your chopper from like a kilometer away. Its one of the reasons why the empty lands in between outposts are so vast because the extraction points are realistically positioned for a safe getaway. Every bit of the AI and npc in the game follows the same stealth rules. MGSV is the most ambitious and most realistic stealth game of all time. Nothing comes close. And nothing will for a while.

It was several, Space Engineers, Subnautica, and Sonic Lost World.

All of these games I had issues trying to refund within the period and I just gave up because I've had the worst luck with customer service with pretty much everything.

I just wanted to get enough credit to buy Enter The Gungeon, something I would actually play.

I also wanted to get Verdun while it was on sale. :\

I don't go into offline mode and I haven't ever used the refund system until fairly recently, when I tried to get refunds.

There isn't more to the story at all, Steam and most customer service sucks and I always get the shit end of the stick.

Sounds really strange.

What was wrong with Subnautica?

Phawx

So SteamGAF, who's gonna enter SteamHandheldGAF and preordered GPD Win ? :")

I was first of 10 in the indiegogo campaign. They were looking for reviewers *that paid* for a unit and I still don't even know if I'm getting one.

Bought an Xbox One S controller today, they really do feel better than the original XB1 controller, the textured back and smaller bumpers are nice improvements, the face buttons feel more responsive and tactile too, it's probably because it's new but it's still feels really good.

Sweet, as someone with only an original X1 controller and wondering if the new S controllers were different, I appreciate this concise review.

SteamGAF... I had a sip of expired soy milk and now I want to die. Why, you wonder? Well, whoever unboxed it at the store nicked the top side with their box cutter--not large enough to make it leak, only unnoticeable when you open it and revel in the liquid death it unleashes.
This is the second time in as many years that this has happened to me. Although this time I didn't drink the entire first glass before deciding "something is wrong." ugh

Ahem. Now, the thing with SR: Returns is that it's the most primitive game of the three, with the worst story, too. If you play either Dragonfall or Hong Kong first, there's absolutely no reason to go back to Returns--by comparison it is an unredeemable game.

That said, if you play Returns first, it is a passable experience. It may be a poorly designed game with some truly baffling design decisions, but it introduces a truly fascinating world and has some sharp writing. Like, the story itself is kinda ho-hum and railroady, but there's definite fun to be had there. And then the sequels improve on it in every way imagineable, particularly Dragonfall, which gives you something to look forward to afterwards.

Jawmuncher

SteamGAF... I had a sip of expired soy milk and now I want to die. Why, you wonder? Well, whoever unboxed it at the store nicked the top side with their box cutter--not large enough to make it leak, only unnoticeable when you open it and revel in the liquid death it unleashes.
This is the second time in as many years that this has happened to me. Although this time I didn't drink the entire first glass before deciding "something is wrong." ugh

Ahem. Now, the thing with SR: Returns is that it's the most primitive game of the three, with the worst story, too. If you play either Dragonfall or Hong Kong first, there's absolutely no reason to go back to Returns--by comparison it is an unredeemable game.

That said, if you play Returns first, it is a passable experience. It may be a poorly designed game with some truly baffling design decisions, but it introduces a truly fascinating world and has some sharp writing. Like, the story itself is kinda ho-hum and railroady, but there's definite fun to be had there. And then the sequels improve on it in every way imagineable, particularly Dragonfall, which gives you something to look forward to afterwards.

Return it

Use the cash settlement from the explosion to get a higher end 144hz monitor?
Other than that, those don't sound too bad for monitors
I'm a little annoyed they use freesync since I have an Nvidia card but I guess it'll just be a regular old 144hz monitor then.

$300 sounds pretty good if it can beat out that Asus 144hz 1080p monitor that everybody uses which is about $250.

For Crusader Kings 2, I know a lot of people (well, the reviews section of Steam) doesn't like the Conclave expansion, but man, I love it.

For those that don't know, it basically expands the bureaucracy involved in managing a kingdom, expanding the role and powers that vassels and councilors have. What this mean is, now you actually need to manage your council and vassels properly to control the ruling interests in your country, and further it means that opinion now has a purpose beyond "better taxes" and "less assassinations," but rather control of your country's laws and direction overall. Conclave also expanded the education system for children into something mimicking the Way of Life expansion, which were great improvements. It overall has a lot of sensible and needed changes to flesh out managing a country.

Basically, don't always blindly rely on Steam reviews. They can be shortsighted and downright wrong when they want to be.
Return it

LurkerPrime Returns.

Amazing.

LurkerPrime
Revels in the liquid death it unleashes
(Today, 12:41 AM)

Anteater

hmm wasn't there a alucard dlc for Lords of shadow 2 or something, was it good? I can't check on steam because lame ass konami region restricted the game.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
hmm wasn't there a alucard dlc for Lords of shadow 2 or something, was it good? I can't check on steam because lame ass konami region restricted the game.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 - Revelations DLC
Play as Alucard in this extensive add on for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. The immersive story is expanded further as new branches of the plot are uncovered, along with rich new environments and challenging puzzles. Fight creatures of darkness and discover the true extent of Alucard’s involvement in Dracula’s story, his deal with death and his fight against Satan. Experience a whole new aspect of the thrilling conclusion to the ‘Lords of Shadow’ saga, including some enlightening revelations!

$7.99 US

Haven't played it.

Parsnip

Finished The Turing Test.
It's okay. The puzzles aren't super hard and I think I broke a few of them by solving them in ways not intended. They do introduce a some additions to the mechanics along the way, but it all gets a bit samey.
The story, well. I suppose it's not terrible. Kind of predictable from start to finish, I was hoping that they would throw some kind of wrench in there at some point but no such luck. The principal characters are generally well acted, can't say the same about some of the audio log guys.
Graphically it looks nice. There's very little environmental variation but the white hallways and test chambers look pretty good for the most part.

I wonder if at some point in dev the game was something a bit different. There are sections in-between chapters where you are essentially Gone Homing around some areas picking up objects, rotating them and then placing them down, but aside from few text logs and such, there's very little reason to actually do any of that.

edit: 20th game I finished this year.

Coincidentally I'm actually watching Arrested Development again and it's still so good.

Finished The Turing Test.
It's okay. The puzzles aren't super hard and I think I broke a few of them by solving them in ways not intended. They do introduce a some additions to the mechanics along the way, but it all gets a bit samey.
The story, well. I suppose it's not terrible. Kind of predictable from start to finish, I was hoping that they would throw some kind of wrench in there at some point but no such luck. The principal characters are generally well acted, can't say the same about some of the audio log guys.
Graphically it looks nice. There's very little environmental variation but the white hallways and test chambers look pretty good for the most part.

I wonder if at some point in dev the game was something a bit different. There are sections in-between chapters where you are essentially Gone Homing around some areas picking up objects, rotating them and then placing them down, but aside from few text logs and such, there's very little reason to actually do any of that.
That's a shame, I was expecting something decent from the title of the game.

shockdude

JSBW4pw.png

Do you remember that game given for free on Reddit this morning?
Yeah, this happened. I guess someone got really pissed about the fact the cdkey was already redeemed.
Haven't gotten any emails yet, whoo.
I noticed the guy posted keys in multiple subreddits. Hopefully it all works out for him.

Teggy

check 'remember me on this computer' when you log in

and Microsoft Edge is lightweight as fuck

But it doesn't support Enhanced Steam you barbarian!

I seem to have been blind to this checkbox. Except I can't log in right now unless I go upstairs and get my phone argh.

Backlogger

3 years and one month after beating the base game I finally completed the DLC for Dishonored and can finally uninstall the game. Sometimes DLC is just a random story add on for the game but in this case it compliments the main story nicely and is in some ways better.

Looking forward to eventually picking up Dishonored 2. Hopefully its as good as the first.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What has to be done so I don't have to use Steam authenticator every single time I log into Steam on Chrome?

This normally happens if you have two computers and one is on a VPN. They both keep logging each other out, essentially. My desktop is on a VPN at all times and my laptop isn't so I have to deal with this a bunch.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Ozium

Just finished Obduction...

absolutely incredible game barring a couple of issues.. might play some realmyst masterpiece edition cause I want to keep playing lol

if you were looking for a good first person puzzle adventure you can't go wrong with Obduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom