• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Spring Sale is live

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

StereoVsn

Totally worth it regardless.
Yep, and for that price it’s an absolute no brainer. If one hadn’t played the trilogy before or played it long ago on 360, there is absolutely no reason to wait.

Games also run just fine on Steam Deck or Windows Handhelds.

It is locked behind the EA Play app, which isn’t too bad if I didn’t need to log in each time. You will also need to select which game you would like to play before connecting it to the TV since the main menu requires the touch screen. Once you get into the games though, they run really well on the Steam Deck.

I’m assuming you want to play on Steam Deck. If you are on a desktop, this probably isn’t a deal breaker for you.
It's on the desktop. Appreciate the feedback.

Skeptical

Neo Member
I'm in the middle of building a brand new PC, so this is fortuitous timing. Unfortunately DD2 comes out next week so if I do buy anything now it's likely going directly to the backlog.

Any GAF thoughts about any of these lesser known titles? They've been on my wishlist for a while and have decent discounts this time. I'm interested if any of you guys have played any of them:

SRPG
I liked Banner of the Maid well enough. It's basically a Fire Emblem clone with respect to the battle rules, so if you like that system then you'll feel comfortable here (even has a weapon square instead of a weapon triangle). It's reasonably well balanced, and battles were doable but would punish you for not paying attention. And as cheesy as the concept is (magical anime girls in alternate-history Napoleonic era), there was at least a reasonable attempt to make the story compelling if you care about that sort of thing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Eastward looks to have some clean and fun aesthetic and is in my wishlist but I haven't buy it
Same price on Humble Bundle, and it includes 6 other games

Hudo

PSA: If you haven't bought the C&C games yet, FUCKING DO IT (you can get them in a bundle):

Bonus: I really like C&C Renegade:

RIP Westwood Studios, you were the GOATS:
large1497456866westwood.jpg

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Bought some DLC costumes for Tales of Berseria for whenever I do another playthrough. After all these years I figured it was unlikely to ever get any cheaper.

StereoVsn

Same price on Humble Bundle, and it includes 6 other games

Thanks for the info, that’s a great bundle for the price, going to grab it.

Also, thanks for nothing thread! I was trying not to buy anything and failing miserably so far. 😂😂

My entire wishlist is on sale. Goodbye wallet.
i saw a major update that will hopefully fix all the issues with Benedict Fox comes out 3/21. so i checked price on Steam on tuesday and it was full price $24.99. checked again yesterday and now its half off. bought it immediately. i timed it perfectly. LOL

simpatico

I want to get the Mass Effect Legendary edition but I heard is locked under EA or something
You’ll have to use Origin to play it. I’d advise to keep your memories of it being awesome intact. It’s aged like shit and now I no longer have the warm and fuzzies when I think about it. Easy pass.

Paltheos

Bought some DLC costumes for Tales of Berseria for whenever I do another playthrough. After all these years I figured it was unlikely to ever get any cheaper.

All you really need imo is the legacy set for Velvet that puts her in Rutee's clothes from ToD. Velvet's default outfit in that game is the stupidest Tales outfit ever by a wide margin.

I stopped my first playthrough to get it because I couldn't stand her walking around in literal scraps anymore. I don't mind the skin; I mind that her wearing something that stands out so much is out of character.

Celcius

°Temp. member
All you really need imo is the legacy set for Velvet that puts her in Rutee's clothes from ToD. Velvet's default outfit in that game is the stupidest Tales outfit ever by a wide margin.

I stopped my first playthrough to get it because I couldn't stand her walking around in literal scraps anymore. I don't mind the skin; I mind that her wearing something that stands out so much is out of character.
I couldn't disagree more

Last edited:

Paltheos

I couldn't disagree more

The problem with the outfit is that it's too shallow an understanding of the character. "Velvet doesn't care about anything other than revenge so she wears whatever" works in a vacuum, but when you factor in the nature of her objective (killing a high-profile political target) and that she displays slick cunning otherwise to that end (when she's not seeing red), I don't buy that she wouldn't find something a little more discrete as soon as she got to the first town.

I also understand that 'this is a Tales game' and so a) Subtlety is generally for bitches and b) Of course the main characters need to wear the flashiest outfits, but for the latter something at least sensible (i.e. Rutee's outfit) still satisfies that condition and for the former... the rags are a step too far. Again, Velvet's single-minded, but she's not an idiot. She'd probably pick something practical that doesn't stand out as much (i.e. again).

I do confess though: I also personally think the outfit looks stupid.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Got dmc collection for $9, dmc 4 for $7, and Virgil for dmc 5 for $3.

Good haul.

Picked up RE0 too even though I’ve already got it on ps5. Figured it may be a good one to run through again on steam deck.

Can anyone tell me if there are any games only on PC that are like the Getaway or GTA? I'm new to pc gaming but I wondered if steam had anything like that to offer

Pantz

I'm in the middle of building a brand new PC, so this is fortuitous timing. Unfortunately DD2 comes out next week so if I do buy anything now it's likely going directly to the backlog.

Any GAF thoughts about any of these lesser known titles? They've been on my wishlist for a while and have decent discounts this time. I'm interested if any of you guys have played any of them:

SRPG
SRPG (I think a remaster of a PSP or Vita game originally)
Atmospheric puzzle platformer
Seems like a 2.5D Zelda-like
This came out when S-E was doing all of their "throw all types of shit at a wall and see what sticks" approach a few years ago. Looks like action RPG if I had to guess.
Looks like a FPS bow game set in a world that looks inspired by Fable aesthetics.
I liked Banner of the Maid a lot. The artwork is really good and it's a fun mix with the Napoleon times.
Most definitely worth a few bucks.

Guilty_AI

Can anyone tell me if there are any games only on PC that are like the Getaway or GTA? I'm new to pc gaming but I wondered if steam had anything like that to offer
Hard to find games on that style nowadays. You can try your luck on some of the older stuff like The Saboteur, Red faction Guerrila, Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row games, Just Cause, Far Cry 2/3/Blood Dragon, Driver Parallel Lines, etc. There's also Cyberpunk+Phantom Liberty if you haven't played it yet.

Hard to find games on that style nowadays. You can try your luck on some of the older stuff like The Saboteur, Red faction Guerrila, Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row games, Just Cause, Far Cry 2/3/Blood Dragon, Driver Parallel Lines, etc. There's also Cyberpunk+Phantom Liberty if you haven't played it yet.
Man that really blows my mind. I really thought when I got into PC gaming that there would be more individual people that would make games like that, but I guess it's too expensive. Might have to try this Grand Theft Auto V role-playing thing

Guilty_AI

Man that really blows my mind. I really thought when I got into PC gaming that there would be more individual people that would make games like that, but I guess it's too expensive. Might have to try this Grand Theft Auto V role-playing thing
There are some who try, but the results either aren't very good or too niche to be really considered a GTA-like game.

As you said its a type of game that's too expensive to make, and has sort of fallen out of fashion since GTA pretty much dominates the market.

You'll probably have more luck if you try to get rid of at least one of GTA-like elements, like a open world game more focused on driving or the shooting elements, maybe a game with shooting and driving but no sandbox open world, etc.

GTA exists within a subgenre that usually takes quite a large budget to make, and when all of the money is usually being funneled back into GTA and GTA alone, year after year, it makes the genre itself too volatile, risky, and unattractive for other big devs to attempt a game in it(especially with 2020s budgets).

This is because they would all have to outdo GTA at it's own strengths of interactivity, or have an extremely good catch of their own, or else they'd suffer large monetary losses due to not selling millions of copies.

Good news is that if you give it about 10-15ish years, you'll start to see technology that will help smaller devs achieve larger things, which means there's potential for GTA clones in the future with actual A.I. handling the smaller things that you would need tons of devs for.

Only thing I grabbed so far was The Saboteur because I remember liking that game on PS3.

I've really wanted to play a shooter lately so I thought about the Crysis trilogy but I already own them on PlayStation.

XXL

PSA: If you haven't bought the C&C games yet, FUCKING DO IT (you can get them in a bundle):

Bonus: I really like C&C Renegade:

RIP Westwood Studios, you were the GOATS:
large1497456866westwood.jpg
I bought them the other day. So good.

I swear Returnal, Teardown, and Outerwilds are never gonna be the price(s) they should be on sale. I can wait. Steam sale is about as good as it's been the last ~6 years or so. Nothing exciting, nothing you haven't seen already months prior. I still have too much to play and not enough time to play them for me to be up in arms about it all, but it is disappointing remembering how exciting these sales used to be.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Time to sell PS4/PS5 copies of games I already own on PC (or will buy at some point when the price is right) and since there's PC ports available.

fi6QruN.jpeg

With each year, there's less and less reasons to own a PS5. It's goddamn sad, really. But then again, I'll be playing the best versions of these games for the most part.

Also....

giphy.gif

Top Bottom